It's Showtime! September 2023 Exercise Challenge

Our next Disney musical has never actually appeared on Broadway and isn't planned to do so, but I want to highlight it because it inspired one of my most favorite DCOMs. Freaky Friday debuted at The Signature Theatre in Arlington, VA on October 4, 2016. It then went on to play at La Jolla Playhouse (same theatre as Hunchback) , Cleveland Playhouse, and Houston's Alley Theatre.

1695526662507.png

"Freaky Friday is a musical with music by Tom Kitt, lyrics by Brian Yorkey, and a book by Bridget Carpenter. It is based on the 1972 novel of the same name by Mary Rodgers and its 1976, 1995, and 2003 film adaptations. In the story, when an overworked mother and her teenage daughter magically swap bodies, they have just one day to put things right again before the mom's wedding." (wikipedia)

Heidi Blickenstaff (Ursula - Little Mermaid) and Emma Hunton starred in Freaky Friday.

Here's a behind the scenes glimpse of the soundtrack recording:

And here's Heidi singing my favorite song from the musical (audio only):

A trailer for the La Jolla run:

And finally, if you want to watch the entire musical, here is one of the La Jolla performances:
It takes a few seconds for the camera to focus on the stage, but it eventually does.

Or if you have Disney + and would rather watch the DCOM, it's very close to the musical and also features Heidi as the mom.

Started Thursday with a Power Walk class through DCA. Then DL park, took a break, then changed into costume for the Oogie Boogie Bash. We were Mr. Toad and the Judge who declared him GUILTY (that is all, that is all) from the DL ride. All around DCA a couple of times through the night, finishing with the second parade.

+180

990/1500

View attachment 796181
View attachment 796180
Love the pics!! Looks and sounds like you're having so much fun.

No color changes to report, but progress is still being made. Hope you all have been enjoying the weekend.

@PollyannaMom, this one's for you!

Bedknobs and Broomsticks is another Disney musical that has yet to make it to Broadway, but I really want to feature this one since the movie is a favorite of PollyannaMom!

1695612962207.png

"Bedknobs and Broomsticks is a stage musical based on the 1971 Walt Disney film and the stories by Mary Norton. It features the original songs by Richard M. Sherman and Robert B. Sherman, new songs and additional music and lyrics by Neil Bartram and book by Brian Hill." (wikipedia)

This musical had a terribly sad beginning. It was originally slated to have its world premier at the Chicago Shakespeare Theatre May 30, 2019, but the director/choreographer, Rachel Rockwell (also of Ride the Cyclone), died before the show premiered. Instead, Bedknobs and Broomsticks was put on hold, and Six took its place. By the way, Six was the first show CarolineBowmanFan37 and I ever saw on Broadway, and we loved it. I had no idea such a sad twist of fate preceded Six's mega popularity in the US.

Eventually, Bedknobs and Broomsticks did open, but - perhaps more appropriately, even - in the UK rather than in the US. The world premier was finally held on August 14, 2021, at the Theatre Royal in Newcastle upon Tyne. After closing there, the show began touring across the UK and Ireland, closing in May of 2022.

Here's an early article about the show before it was pulled from the Chicago Shakespeare Theatre:

https://playbill.com/article/stage-...s-and-broomsticks-sets-chicago-world-premiere

And here's the official website which features an excellent trailer:
https://www.bedknobsonstage.com/
and includes this summary of the musical:
"Enter a world of magic and fantasy as Disney’s classic movie Bedknobs and Broomsticks makes its world premiere as an exciting new musical. With the original songs by the legendary Sherman Brothers (Mary Poppins, The Jungle Book, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang), including Portobello Road, The Age Of Not Believing, The Beautiful Briny and new music and lyrics by Neil Bartram and book by Brian Hill, Bedknobs and Broomsticks will be brought to life by award-winning theatre-makers Candice Edmunds and Jamie Harrison.

When the three orphaned Rawlins children are reluctantly evacuated from wartime London to live with the mysterious Eglantine Price, they have no idea what adventures lie ahead. Upon discovering Eglantine to be a trainee witch, they join forces to search for a secret spell that will defeat the enemy once and for all. Armed with an enchanted bedknob, a bewitched broomstick and a magical flying bed, they encounter surprising new friendships on their journey from Portobello Road to the depths of the beautiful briny sea."

I would really love to see Bedknobs and Broomsticks debut in the US one day. It looks like a great show.

Home now after a fun trip to DLR.

We were at GCH in a room that was right over the monorail.

IMG_2412.jpeg

My DH was happy that in a 15-minute span at Galaxy’s Edge, we saw Asohka, stormtroopers, Hera and Chopper, and Boba Fett and Fennic Shand. Then a little later, the Mandalorian and Grogu. Apparently about 3:45-4:15 on a Friday is a great time to see characters!

Had a nice time on the Halloween Screams tour and probably the best view of a DL fireworks show we will ever have.

IMG_2477.jpeg

Finished up yesterday morning with a DL band concert as we left the park.

IMG_2498.jpeg

+400

1390/1500

Last edited:
Not much of a weekend for walking here in NJ - Ophelia took up residence! I think we got 6 inches of rain! And, it's not done - two more days to go . Ugh! I'm hoping it won't be a steady tomorrow so I can get a few minutes in between downpours.
It's really interesting how difficult it is for shows to make it all the way to Broadway, yet they are good in their own way. I know Newsies had a big following.

We've finally made it to my favorite Disney musical!

View attachment 796899

I'm a little tired right now, so I'm just going to start with the official trailer for now, but I will have more info asap.

On the Alaska cruise they did a version of Frozen that was so so good. They used puppets thru out, starting with the grown up versions of the girls working puppets of the little girls, then of course Sven and Olof... who was incredible.

+ 45 minutes... mostly indoor stuff because we are still in the middle of a rain storm. Gotta love the national weather forecasters, they were all "omg... a river of rain, a rain cyclone, severe flooding..." the local weather was "you might want to grab your rain coat". So far the local forecast has been more on point.

1215/1350... 90%

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter