I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you call the automated status line? I'm not talking about recon line.

I didn't know there was an automated status line until this -- but I Googled it and called. As it turned out, I didn't get an automated response when I entered my SSN but got transferred to a person, who said my application is still pending. he had nothing else interesting to say, though -- not why it was still pending or whether I could move credit from another card. So I guess I'll just keep waiting.

I just picked up this card this month and am still trying to learn the ropes. I know you get Gold status with Hilton and SPG which can then be matched at Marriott. You get Priority Pass select and 10 free GoGo passes and Global entry. My understanding is that you do see it post and then it gets credited back. The points also get credited back within a few weeks.

Here is an article on it from TPG http://thepointsguy.com/2016/12/pay-with-points-amex-business-platinum/

Thanks -- I did get all of the money back and also got back half of the points I used. Might have to rethink not keeping this card.

Thanks -- I did get all of the money back and also got back half of the points I used. Might have to rethink not keeping this card.

DH already has one and will be keeping it after the AF. The benefits do make sense for us. We have used the Fine Resorts and Hotels benefit several times, as well as the Gogo passes and the gold status has come in handy at the hotel properties. We've used it for entry into Delta lounges and Centurion lounges. I'll be cancelling mine though. We don't need two of them.

After being somewhat skeptical of this hobby, I'm now a believer.
We will be taking 6 trips between March and August this year..based largely on points and travel credits. Here's a breakdown.
In March we will be spending a night at Great Wolf Lodge in the Poconos. I scored a great rate-$149 then used the 2016 CSR travel credit to pay for it.
In April, I used the points I got from the Amtrak BOA card to score round trip fare for 4 to Montreal Quebec. Hotel was paid from points obtained from the CSR sign up bonus.

In May, I booked 4 star hotels in Baltimore's inner harbor for a three day trip. Scored a Renaissance (Marriott) using points and used the rest of my 2016 CSR travel credit to pay for a Kimpton hotel.
In June, using the Fairmont sign up bonus to stay in Washington DC. In July used points to stay at a Marriott in Times Square. Also used the remainder of my Amtrak points for round trip fare. In August , used CSR 2017 travel credit to book car rental for our weeklong Disney stay. Also used CSR travel credit to pay for one night stay before we get our rental car. Round trip Amtrak booked on points from DH's Amtrak card.
Would absolutely not be able to afford all of this without points. It also helps that we live near major cities so we can drive to NYC and D.C.
I love points...

Impressive! I'm trying to accumulate miles/points for a trip to China. Problem is I keep spending them on trips to Disney. :mickeyjum

Oh I like seeing how everyone is using their miles and where they are going. I'll play along with where we are going this year and how we are making it happen:

In February we are going to London for the weekend to see a show. We are flying in first class using American Airline miles, accumulated from cc bonus sign ups and AA shopping portal bonuses. The AA credit card also gives you 10% of the miles you redeem back each year up to 10,000 miles. DH and I each have the card so that's 20K miles every year. The Barclay Arrival card also has a periodic offer for 15K miles for meeting $500 spending each month for 3 months so we do take advantage of that. We are staying at a Radisson Blu for free using their Club Carlson points from the hotel branded credit card that gives you 40,000 points every anniversary year so we keep that one.

March: Flying to Hawaii in first using a combination of AA miles, Citi Thank You points (Prestige and Premier sign up bonus). Staying at Aulani for 10 days on our DVC points, then at Disneyland' Grand California for 4 days on our DVC points.

June/July: Scotland: Flying in business using British Airways Avios, combination of cc sign up bonus and 50% bonus transfer of Amex MR points to Avios. Staying in a combination of B&B with CSR credit and one night in a Holiday Inn using IHG points from the postcard contest last year.

July: San Francisco weekend to see Hamilton. Flying AA in first with AA gift cards that have been purchased over the last few years to use up the airline credit on various cards like the Citi Prestige and Amex Platinum cards. Still haven't decided where we are staying but won't be paying for it. Likley an IHG, Hilton, SPG or Marriott property on points.

August: Italy with Adventures by Disney. Flying British Airways in first with credit card bonus points and companion pass which we earned via MS and went through 4 BB shutdowns. Paying the ABD portion with discounted Disney gift cards and Disney gift cards that were purchased at 5x UR points and sometimes stacking the two. They get loaded onto the DVA and we pay through there for the additional 2% back in Disney gift cards.

November: Iceland for Thanksgiving week. We used the UR points earned from the CSR sign up bonus to purchase tickets via the UR travel portal on Delta in first. Still mulling over accommodations. We are currently booked at a Hilton in Reykjavik for the week but are likely to change it. Other options are Radisson Blu, SPG design hotel property or may travel hack Air BNB with discounted gift cards. Another possibility would be paying for one of the more expensive properties with UR or MR points or taking a shot at a few cash back cards and using the sign up bonus.

So that is our 2017 year in travel hacking. :banana:

Oh I like seeing how everyone is using their miles and where they are going. I'll play along with where we are going this year and how we are making it happen:

In February we are going to London for the weekend to see a show. We are flying in first class using American Airline miles, accumulated from cc bonus sign ups and AA shopping portal bonuses. The AA credit card also gives you 10% of the miles you redeem back each year up to 10,000 miles. DH and I each have the card so that's 20K miles every year. The Barclay Arrival card also has a periodic offer for 15K miles for meeting $500 spending each month for 3 months so we do take advantage of that. We are staying at a Radisson Blu for free using their Club Carlson points from the hotel branded credit card that gives you 40,000 points every anniversary year so we keep that one.

March: Flying to Hawaii in first using a combination of AA miles, Citi Thank You points (Prestige and Premier sign up bonus). Staying at Aulani for 10 days on our DVC points, then at Disneyland' Grand California for 4 days on our DVC points.

June/July: Scotland: Flying in business using British Airways Avios, combination of cc sign up bonus and 50% bonus transfer of Amex MR points to Avios. Staying in a combination of B&B with CSR credit and one night in a Holiday Inn using IHG points from the postcard contest last year.

July: San Francisco weekend to see Hamilton. Flying AA in first with AA gift cards that have been purchased over the last few years to use up the airline credit on various cards like the Citi Prestige and Amex Platinum cards. Still haven't decided where we are staying but won't be paying for it. Likley an IHG, Hilton, SPG or Marriott property on points.

August: Italy with Adventures by Disney. Flying British Airways in first with credit card bonus points and companion pass which we earned via MS and went through 4 BB shutdowns. Paying the ABD portion with discounted Disney gift cards and Disney gift cards that were purchased at 5x UR points and sometimes stacking the two. They get loaded onto the DVA and we pay through there for the additional 2% back in Disney gift cards.

November: Iceland for Thanksgiving week. We used the UR points earned from the CSR sign up bonus to purchase tickets via the UR travel portal on Delta in first. Still mulling over accommodations. We are currently booked at a Hilton in Reykjavik for the week but are likely to change it. Other options are Radisson Blu, SPG design hotel property or may travel hack Air BNB with discounted gift cards. Another possibility would be paying for one of the more expensive properties with UR or MR points or taking a shot at a few cash back cards and using the sign up bonus.

Wow so impressed! :worship:
Gotta ask, are you retired? Because no way I could get that much time off work.

Wow so impressed! :worship:
Gotta ask, are you retired? Because no way I could get that much time off work.

Oh I wish! Nope, not yet. I get 3 weeks off a year so that covers the Hawaii/Disneyland and Italy trips. We get sick days that I will use to cover the Iceland Thanksgiving week trip plus the company is closed Thanksgiving and the Friday after so I'll only use 3 days. The company is also closed July 4 which is the weekend we go to Scotland so I will only be taking off the Friday before and Monday and using comp time that I accumulate for working on nights and weekends. The London trip is over the weekend leaving Thursday after work and just taking off Friday coming home Sunday. The Hamilton trip in San Fran is literally Friday after work hop on a plane, watch the show on Saturday, fly home Sunday and go to work Monday.

I try maximize trips when the days off at work lend themselves into creating a long weekend or the ability to use less vacation days and incorporate the holidays that the company gives us time off for.

Last edited:
Oh I wish! Nope, not yet. I get 3 weeks off a year so that covers the Hawaii/Disneyland and Italy trips. We get sick days that I will use to cover the Iceland Thanksgiving week trip plus the company is closed Thanksgiving and the Friday after so I'll only use 3 days. The company is also closed July 4 which is the weekend we go to Scotland so I will only be taking off the Friday before and Monday and using comp time that I accumulate for working on nights and weekends. The London trip is over the weekend leaving Thursday after work and just taking off Friday coming home Sunday. The Hamilton trip in San Fran is literally Friday after work hope on a plane, watch the show on Saturday, fly home Sunday and go to work Monday.

I try maximize trips when the days off at work lend themselves into creating a long weekend or the ability to use less vacation days and incorporate the holidays that the company gives us time off for.

I am in awe of all of those plans! That's amazing that you were able to use so many travel rewards.

I am curious - do you sleep on the plane? And do you have other jet-lag-avoiding strategies? My last trip to London was four days and I was very glad the important stuff was the last few days because I felt pretty out of it the first few days. I was also very happy I didn't have to go to work the day after I got back.

I applied for the CSR but was denied - "too many credit cards opened in the last two years associated with you". I think it's because I am an authorized user on my husbands cards, do you know if I call and tell them I would like my own if I might have a chance of them overturning the decision and approving me?

I am in awe of all of those plans! That's amazing that you were able to use so many travel rewards.

I am curious - do you sleep on the plane? And do you have other jet-lag-avoiding strategies? My last trip to London was four days and I was very glad the important stuff was the last few days because I felt pretty out of it the first few days. I was also very happy I didn't have to go to work the day after I got back.

We have done fairly well with regards to jet lag on our European trips. We try to choose the latest flight which is an 8:45 pm when connecting or going through LHR. Partly to not have to take extra time off of work for the flight and also partly to assist with the jet lag. I will say that flying in first on international flights does make it easier to be able to sleep. On BA you get a sleep suit (jammies) to change into so you can hang your clothes up and they won't get wrinkled, and a toiletry kit with everything you need to freshen up in the morning. The seat turns into a bed and you get turn down service with a mattress pad, sheets, pillow and duvet. I will go to bed after dinner service on the plane and am able to sleep. Staying hydrated is very helpful so I will keep a large water bottle on hand. Prior to landing you can request to be woken up and have breakfast. I will do that, change clothes and freshen up with the toiletry kit they also give you. If we are connecting in LHR I will give us enough time to get through border security and go to the Concorde lounge. The Concorde lounge offers free mini spa services and has private cabanas with tv, day bed, bathroom and shower. We will book these cabana and a massage or facial/massage chair combo at the spa way in advance and use them. You'd be surprised with how much all this helps on the jet lag front. No matter what, we do not take a nap and stay awake until at least 9 pm UK time. When we wake up the next day we are pretty much good to go and no jet lag. This is what works for us.

british-airways-first-class.jpg

I applied for the CSR but was denied - "too many credit cards opened in the last two years associated with you". I think it's because I am an authorized user on my husbands cards, do you know if I call and tell them I would like my own if I might have a chance of them overturning the decision and approving me?

Absolutely call recon and see if they will waive it. Some people are able to get approved with AU cards and some not so it is YMMV. If it were may I'd call and if I didn't get the ok. I'd call again and speak with another rep no less than 3 times before giving up. Be cheerful, sweet and nice, make small talk and if you can get the rep to laugh and brighten their day it may help. Good luck!

I called when I got the message they needed more time to review. I asked them for more information since I know my credit score is outstanding and I have never been rejected for a card before. The gentleman reviewed my information and said I had too many accounts since I was an UA on my DH's accounts. I said I don't really use those accounts that we only do that in case there is an emergency and I needed to be able to access those accounts. He reviewed my information without those UA accounts, spoke briefly to a supervisor and was instantly approved and the card showed up the next day. Just in time for our Disney cruise :)

That 100,000 mile bonus has been so helpful! While I'm not as good as some here this is what I've managed to make my travel habit (addiction) more reasonable, price wise. Here's our 2017 use (so far):

DD is starting to look at colleges. In March we're using AA miles (including the Citi 50,000 miles bonus) to fly to Sarasota. Two nights and rental car paid through Chase's travel portal (trust me, it was cheaper this way!).

In May we are flying with DM to Montreal then Norfolk/VA Beach on Skymiles. I know they're called Skypesos but I use my Amex Reserve and get a lot of use from Delta (spent aroun 400,000 skymiles over the past year!). Our hotels in Montreal are through Chase's portal, while I'm still deciding where to stay in Virginia. I'll probably use Chase portal for the rental unless I find a ridiculous bargain some other way.

In June, I fly with DD to Edinburgh (might be there around the same time as calypso726, sort of like last year following her around Ireland :) I promise I'm not a stalker!). DD is flying first/business on Skymiles while I found a reasonable (to me) ticket. We're staying in Edinburgh again through Chase's travel portal using points and our nights in St Andrews are on my own at a b&b. Then I'm off to Dublin, again staying on Chase points.

July DH and I fly to London on Skymiles first/business for our Disney cruise. I bought tons of gift cards at Target and Sam's Club (especially when the Chase Freedom was 5% back last year). Put all of those in a DVA so although the cruise was expensive, did get anywhere from 7%+ return. Our hotel in London is through DCL (ack!) but DH doesn't like any wrinkles in his travel so I gave in on that end. In Barcelona, we're staying at the Ritz using our Marriott sign on bonus points while my parents are staying at the AC Coton Hotel on either Marriott or Chase points (can't remember, to be honest). We have maxed out our DVA so our gift card was "only" $240, but I have another card from a prior trip plus OBC from our travel agency (dreams unlimited of course) so our gratuities and most of our excursions are paid for. I really recommend the DVA, for what it's worth.
We're flying back economy comfort on Delta, nothing glamorous about that :)

Our outstanding trip is the Rhine River Cruise in December and I haven't done airfare or hotel yet since it's out of the booking range. I'm toying with the idea of using United to fly to AMS, and SkyBlue to fly back from BSL but we'll see. Trying to use miles for 3 is much harder (for me) than 2. So I might just stick paying cash (the horror!) and go with my friend Delta, accruing MQMs and miles. I'm platinum this year with Delta and kind of like it ;).

I have to say, if it weren't for these boards, I wouldn't be able to travel so well, so often and so comfortably so thanks y'all.

Wow just wow..amazing

We have done fairly well with regards to jet lag on our European trips. We try to choose the latest flight which is an 8:45 pm when connecting or going through LHR. Partly to not have to take extra time off of work for the flight and also partly to assist with the jet lag. I will say that flying in first on international flights does make it easier to be able to sleep. On BA you get a sleep suit (jammies) to change into so you can hang your clothes up and they won't get wrinkled, and a toiletry kit with everything you need to freshen up in the morning. The seat turns into a bed and you get turn down service with a mattress pad, sheets, pillow and duvet. I will go to bed after dinner service on the plane and am able to sleep. Staying hydrated is very helpful so I will keep a large water bottle on hand. Prior to landing you can request to be woken up and have breakfast. I will do that, change clothes and freshen up with the toiletry kit they also give you. If we are connecting in LHR I will give us enough time to get through border security and go to the Concorde lounge. The Concorde lounge offers free mini spa services and has private cabanas with tv, day bed, bathroom and shower. We will book these cabana and a massage or facial/massage chair combo at the spa way in advance and use them. You'd be surprised with how much all this helps on the jet lag front. No matter what, we do not take a nap and stay awake until at least 9 pm UK time. When we wake up the next day we are pretty much good to go and no jet lag. This is what works for us.

View attachment 217404

Absolutely call recon and see if they will waive it. Some people are able to get approved with AU cards and some not so it is YMMV. If it were may I'd call and if I didn't get the ok. I'd call again and speak with another rep no less than 3 times before giving up. Be cheerful, sweet and nice, make small talk and if you can get the rep to laugh and brighten their day it may help. Good luck!
Calypso, do you use manufacture spending to accumulate so many points? I'm afraid to do so so all my spend is organic. I also have 4 people in my travel party so points don't stretch as much. Your award redemptions are #goals.

Last edited:
Calypso, do you use manufacture spending to accumulate so many points? I'm afraid to do so so all my spend is organic. I also have 4 people in my travel party so points don't stretch as much. Your redemption are #goals.

I did when MS was easier, Amazon payments, Vanilla reloads at CVS, Red Bird, and Blue Bird. Even back then my MS wasn't very aggressive with the exception of when American Airlines offered the executive card for 100,000 miles with $10,000 spend in 3 months. DH and I each got one and then found out you get another one so we each got a second one. We were looking at spending $40,000 in 3 months. We did it with MS when Vanilla Visa purchases at CVS was still an option. Little did we know that MS door was about to close. We were going into the 3rd month and had $5,000 more to go on my second card. I remember being in Disney World and seeing my email blow up with the bloggers giving warning that CVS was going to stop allowing credit card payments to purchase Vanilla Visa gift cards within the next few days and some stores were already enforcing it. We immediately left the park and headed to a CVS and were able to pick up the last $5,000 to make the spend. That was a close call. Totally worth 400,000 American Airline points though.

The last bit of MS we did was last year to get the BA companion pass which requires $30,000 in a year. We did it over a few months and went through 4 Blue Bird accounts being shut down. Since then, we haven't done any MS. To be honest it makes me a little nervous, especially with the money orders which I haven't done. Now with that said, if AA came up with another offer that could net me 400K miles, that would light a fire under me and I'd jump into the MS with Money orders game. For now, we maximize bonus categories and always use shopping portals. DH maintains VIP in the AA dining rewards program, so he will get 5 AA miles per dollar and 3 UR points per dollar for dining at places in the network. We each pick up about 5 new credit cards a year so that helps too. Pretty much all of our spend now is organic as well.

We will also take advantage of any non credit card offers for miles, like test driving a Cadillac. We both did that and got 7,500 American Airline miles each. Signing up for Netflix for a week got me 4,000 United miles. Making an appointment to see a Bose audio system sales presentation got us 25,000 Membership rewards.

I also plan most of our trips way more than a year in advance. Since I'm always thinking 2 - 3 years out I have a general idea of what airline or alliance I may be flying to get somewhere and will concentrate on the shopping portal that supports that airline or alliance to beef up points or miles. I also will know which credit cards and how many of them I will need to make it happen. DH wants to go to Bora Bora so I started working on that 2 years ago and the trip won't be until 2020. It also helps when both spouses sign up for the same card, each gets their own card, not an AU card and each spouse gets the bonus. Hope all that helps.

I love, love, LOVE this thread! So much information and inspiration! I would never have thought to sign up for both the CSR and CSP. THe combined points paid for a trip to Disneyland this past December.

I have a few a few questions. First, I recently bought some SW points and paid with the CSR. When I looked at my statement, it didn't code as travel so it's only giving me 1x points instead of 3x points. Has this happened to anyone before? Is it worth calling Chase about it?

Second, I'm currently trying to meet the spend on a the Amex Hilton card. The first statement closes on Feb 14. If I can meet the spend in time will the HH points post quickly afterwards? I ask because on my Amex everyday card there is a one month lag for the reward dollars to post. This is my first go with a hotel credit card so I'm not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter