I hope we love it! I am sure we will! Uh no - we don't! Mickeystoontown's 16 day trip! Updated 9/5!

mickeystoontown

DIS Veteran
Well howdy folks! It’s me Mickeystoontown! Who’s me? Who’s she? Who’s that? I mean, who am I? Let me introduce myself. I’m Lisa, I joined the Disboards in 2006 and started writing reports soon after. Over the years, I’ve chronicled our journeys several times over and I’ve met and made many dear friends and hope to make many more. When I joined, I had no clue that my writing reports and sharing my love for Disney with others would still be going strong years later. But, here I am and here you are. Having said that, I have been so busy that I haven't written a full report in a couple of years. I don't include just the "good stuff" in my trip reports. I tell it like it is. If we had a crappy experience, I'm going to tell y'all. If we have an excellent experience, you'll hear all about it as well. I mean what kind of trip report writer would I be if I only wrote about the good stuff? What good would that do for others who use trip reports as a planning tool? So who are the cast members of this trip report? First, there’s me. My name is Lisa a/k/a mickeystoontown. I'm a full time paralegal in a law office that specializes in family law. I’ve often said that I want to be something else when I grow up and I finally took the plunge, and I turned my Disney passion into a small business which helps pay for our Disney trips. I like to sew, cook, spend time with my family and pretty much anything that involves being outdoors.

I've been married to my husband, John, for almost 38 years. John is a master craftsman specializing in custom cabinets and furniture. Give that man a saw, hammer and a piece of wood and he can make anything you want. He started making cigar box guitars a couple of years ago and he does an awesome job. We also have an Etsy shop for our woodworking projects and his guitars. John has epilepsy which means our everyday life can be turned upside in the blink of an eye. You never know when it will rear its ugly stupid head. Even after almost 30 years, we are still learning to adjust.
favorite picture.jpg

We are the proud parents of two beautiful children (Lacey and Hunter), an amazing son-in-law (Jesse), and a wonderful daughter-in-law (Tabitha). We love getting together as a family every chance that we get. As a matter of fact, one of those family get-togethers will be written about in this report.

lacey and jesse.jpg
Lacey and Jesse

hunter and tabitha.jpg
Tabitha and Hunter

In 2020, John and I began taking monthly road trips because my job can be very stressful and, with John’s epilepsy, we both need to get away from everything, focus on one another, and destress. John and I are also the kind of people who can never just chill out and do nothing. If we are home, we are doing a task that needs to be done. Road trips made us stop and smell the roses so to speak.

We were having a blast on our road trips until...well, I am sure you can guess, COVID. Stupid dumb monkey wrench throwing COVID. Our road trips were no longer monthly but still as frequently as possible and safely as possible. We took all of the precautions, wore masks, carried wipes everywhere we went and we kept hand sanitizer at the ready. Many of our destinations were outdoor events such as the flea market, First Monday Trade Days, in Canton, Texas where there are acres and acres of outdoor vendors. Physical distancing rules were easy to follow because I’ve always tried to give people their space even before COVID. No matter where our road trips take us, we keep them as budget friendly as possible so that we can still take our long annual trip to Walt Disney World. Road trips keep us sane as we count down the days to Disney!

Our latest road trip found us in Hot Springs, Arkansas. We were eating a delicious banana split in The Purple Cow when everyone's phones went off. There was a tornado in the area. The news and weather were telling everyone to go to their safe place. Well, we didn't have a safe place. Our room at the hotel was on the 13th floor which I don't exactly put in the "safe place" category. We walked out and danged if I didn't see a tornado on top of the mountain. We set out for downtown, all the while trying to figure out where the heck to go. The sky turned more and more a strange color of yellowish green and we turned around and headed to, of all places, Walmart. We snapped this picture right before we went in and hunkered down for two hours. I have another picture of the "real tornado" which was big and huge and large and scary but I don't have it on the flash drive that I have with me.

tornado.jpg

Okay sorry, I got off subject a bit.

After a few of our overnight road trips, I realized how much of a pain in the behind it was to pack, unpack and repack our toiletries and “miscellaneous stuff” bag. You know the stuff I’m talking about: disinfectant spray, Q-tips, toothpaste, shampoo, brush, comb, shampoo, razors, phone chargers, batteries, ziplock bags, etc. Now, we have a permanent duffel that has all of that stuff and more. I even have extra toothbrushes. On the last day of our trip, I toss the used toothbrushes in the garbage and open new ones on the next trip. Why? Think about it. The toothbrush goes into a travel tube thing that stays closed for a month or so. That just sounds gross to me so it makes us feel better to just toss ‘em. Keeping the bag packed and ready to grab up and go is so convenient!

I guess that’s enough babbling. If you have read my reports previously, you already know who we are. If you are a new reader, you’ll soon learn that we are a crazy, fun, Disney lovin’ family!

everyone.jpg

I hope that you will all speak up and post often. A trip report isn't quite as fun if you just read along and don't join in on the comments. After all, that's how I became friends with so many of my fellow Disers.

Up next: Why do the days leading up to the trip go so slowly but fly by when you are actually there?

Last edited:

Looking forward to following along! We have a travel drawer (okay 2 really). I just open them up and pull out what I need for the trip we are taking. Everything is in those drawers, from hand wipes to electrical convertors/adapters and a mini fan. Saves so much time when packing :)

Looking forward to your report!! :thumbsup2

Welcome aboard!
Joining in!
Glad to have you here!

Looking forward to following along! We have a travel drawer (okay 2 really). I just open them up and pull out what I need for the trip we are taking. Everything is in those drawers, from hand wipes to electrical convertors/adapters and a mini fan. Saves so much time when packing :)
Ooh that's a smart idea! I love having the bag already packed and ready to grab and go.

Why do the days leading up to the trip go by so slowly but fly when you are actually there?

A week before our “start the drive” day, I was checking things off my “to do” list left and right.

1) Contact insurance to get approval for early medication refills. Pick up the meds.
X

2) Go to the grocery store and buy a ridiculous amount of yogurt for Mama. X

3) Stop by Dollar Tree and purchase a ridiculous amount of throwaway containers to use for Mama’s prepared meals.
X

4) Cook a ridiculous amount of homemade vegetable soup, potato soup and tomato soup for Mama. (Hey, she loves soup.) X

5) Send out emails to all of my clients letting them know that I’d be on vacation but accessible through text or email. X

6) Pay all of our bills (ouch!) X

7) Fix two and a half weeks of meds for John. X

8) Fix one week of meds for Mama. X

9) Stop by Hobby Lobby and purchase small jewelry size ziplock bags. X

10) Use the small jewelry size ziplock bags to fix another two weeks of meds for Mama. It was a pain in the behind to fix 56 little bags of meds. (4 x a day for 14 days) but it made it a lot easier for my sister when she had to come over and fix it for Mama.
X

11) Put the finishing touches on our extremely long itinerary. X

12) Buy musical instruments for the road!?!?! X

There were a lot of other things on my list that I accomplished before the trip in a week’s time but those are just the highlights. I was determined to not have any unexpected last minute “oopsies” pop up.

Work was, as is always the case, busy the week before we were to leave. But, I’m one of those people who doesn’t like to leave anything left undone. It only makes it worse when you get back from your vacation. I had three stacks on my desk. One that we were waiting for court dates on. One that we were waiting for responses from other attorneys. And the other was one that were waiting for client’s to get back with us on. I had done all that I could do with the files.

On one particularly exhausting work day, I received a surprise in the mail. One of my friends/clients sent me a gift that she and her friends picked up for me while at Walt Disney World. It made my day! It was a much needed surprise! Just look at 'em. Aren't they the cutest?

IMG_3231.JPEG
IMG_3233.JPEG

I don't know how you guys count down the days until your trip but I don't count today because it's today and already here. I also don't count the day that we leave because uh, it's the day you leave. I just count all the days in between. John thinks that's the stupidest way ever untillllll it is almost time to go and then he is onboard the crazy countdown train. He left me this "one more day" note on November 9th...we were leaving on November 10th.

IMG_3230.JPEG

Work was uneventful thankfully and I wasn't too terribly tired. By 10:30 p.m. that evening, I had the last load of clothes on to wash and most of our suitcases packed and ready to go. Yes, it is just the two of us traveling but we were traveling in November and you never know what kind of weather we might have. It could be hot every day. It could be cool every day. It could be cool in the morning, hot in the afternoon, and cool in the evening. And what if we have a freak cold front blow through Florida and we need coats? Hey, it's happened to us before. Plus we would be gone for over two weeks and I ain't doing laundry on vacation unless I have to.
IMG_3240.JPEG

On our departure day, November 10, 2021, John called me from work which immediately made me worry because they aren’t allowed to take their phones in work. I shouldn’t have worried because it was good news. Sort of. They had a machine break down and it wouldn’t be fixed until Monday which meant he got to go home around 9:30 a.m. or so. The good news was he could do the last minute things like packing the ice chest, take out the trash, water the outside plants, etc. There were two “bads”. One is that he wouldn’t get paid for that almost day off. Two is that it was harder for me to sit at work and think “I wish that we could leave earlier than planned.”

IMG_3239.JPEG

Lucky for me, there was a virtual seminar that the attorneys in the office were required to attend. That meant they were all going to be tied up for the day and couldn’t ask any last minute questions or hand out tasks. I finished up everything on my desk and when they came out for a late lunch break, I talked to my boss who told me to plan on leaving early. He asked me to do a couple of things before I left and I put my behind into high gear and got them done in record time.

Around 1:30 p.m., I was done with all my work tasks and all I had to do is wait on the attorneys to have a break in the seminar. I needed my boss to sign some checks for the deposit and then I could leave. After what seemed like forever, they came out of the conference room and I was able to get his attention long enough to have him sign the checks, show him the stacks and what they meant, etc. He looked at me, laughed and said something like “you know I won’t be working while you are gone and if I did, I wouldn't remember most of what you are telling me”. True! But at least I told him.

The attorneys took their break and I went and told my co-workers goodbye. I gathered up the mail, the deposit and I hurried out the side door before anyone could stop me. I tried calling John to tell him that I was leaving but he didn’t answer. I figured he was doing last minute things and he is notorious for not keeping his phone on him anyway.

By 2:00 p.m., I was pulling out of the bank and on my way home almost three hours earlier than I expected. I was so happy! I'm almost home!

IMG_3243.JPEG

I got home and John was still piddling around outside. He didn’t know that I would be getting off so early and was still doing some of our last minute chores. I finished watering the outside plants, put the picnic foods in the ice chest, and did a few other things while John took a shower.

IMG_3244.JPEG

I also checked on the little bird who was nestled in the piece of wood on our plant stand.

IMG_3245.JPEG

Once everything was packed in the car, we walked over to Mama’s to tell her goodbye. I had typed her a detailed calendar that told her where we would be on each day, who would be stopping by her house to check on her, who would be cooking some meals for her, when my sister would be fixing her medicine, etc. I asked her if she had any questions about the calendar and made sure that she knew someone would be checking on her. We live next door to her on a few acres and she is used to seeing us each day. Mama was 87 years old at the time and I didn’t want her to feel uncomfortable on her own. I wanted to reassure her that she wouldn’t be alone. Hugs were passed around and we told her that we would call her along the way.

Typically, we eat a sandwich while we are putting the last few things in the car but I had already packed it away. So, we decided to stop at Slim Chickens instead. Slim Chickens is close to our house, close to the interstate and semi-easy to eat while driving so it was an easy choice. I snapped this picture at 3:36 p.m. We were just about to pull out of Slim Chickens. The interstate is about five minutes from there so we were still about two and a half hours ahead of our schedule. Oh yeah!

IMG_3247.JPEG
We hit the interstate and were on our way to Walt Disney World!

**Up next: Let’s put those musical instruments to use!

Last edited:
Let’s put those musical instruments to use!

I’m sure that you are wondering why I would pack musical instruments when going to Disney. Obviously, we weren’t part of a school band program. We weren’t part of a senior band program. Why instruments then?

One of our favorite movies is Planes, Trains and Automobiles which happens to also take place during the Thanksgiving holidays. While Steve Martin is sleeping, John Candy is singing Mess Around and pretending to play the piano and then a horn.

John had recently gotten stuck on watching Ray Charles sing Mess Around. I’m talking about at least once or twice every evening. So, we decided to record ourselves singing (okay mostly lip syncing) Mess Around while driving to Disney. But we had to have instruments and microphones and such. So, off we went to every dollar store in town. Y’all, we went all over town looking for these things and it became an obsession that we had to find a toy horn. I thought they would be so easy to find but they weren’t. After visits to probably a half dozen stores (I crap you not.), we found a couple of plastic microphones, a little metal xylophone and a bag of party favor whistle things. Ooh wee, we were set!

We hit Interstate 20, eating our Slim Chickens, and talking about the trip. Excitement filled the air. We were on our way to Walt Disney World! It had been a whole year since we were “home”.

About an hour and ten minutes down the interstate and I had to make my first bathroom stop. We were about to be in Vicksburg, Mississippi and there was a rest area there. It would be the last one we would pass for hours and my bladder knew it. I made the quick stop. John tossed the Slim Chicken boxes in the garbage and we were in and out of the rest area in less than ten minutes.

We were back on the interstate and through Vicksburg in no time at all. That’s when we hit a stretch that was boring. Pull out those instruments and let’s have some fun!

Actually, John had to set up the phone/camera first. Testing:

A few adjustments were made and we were ready for our performance:

My intention was to have Hunter edit the video but I totally forgot so forgive me for the dumb ending.

Performance of Mess Around done, we made a few other silly videos and sent them to the kids. They were just a week away from heading to Disney too. They, of course, sent back "y'all are crazy" and laughing emojis. Remember the days when our kids would embarrass us with their antics? Turnabout is fair play.

We made it through Jackson, Mississippi and hit Hwy 49 and it wasn't long before we were stuck in construction traffic. For the past eight, nine, ten, nine hundred trips, we have run into construction traffic at this point in our route. It was bad. Like our wheels barely rolled bad. Thank goodness, I made that stop in Vicksburg. We, literally, inched our way along for probably an hour before we started moving at a good rate of speed again. By this time, it was getting dark out. Even if I had thought about taking some pictures to add to the trip report, they wouldn't have turned out anyway.

It wasn't until we were approaching Mobile, Alabama that there was enough light out to snap a few. I handed over my phone to John and he took a few.

It was around 9:35 p.m. when these pictures were taken. It usually takes us about 5 1/2 hours to make it to Mobile so the construction traffic didn't throw us too far off schedule.

IMG_3248.JPEG

About to enter the tunnel

IMG_3252.JPEG

As you can see from the next couple of pictures, traffic was light and I liked it that way. We've been in Mobile traffic when it was really bad and I hated it. I'd take the 9;35 p.m. traffic over that any day.

IMG_3254.JPEG

IMG_3255.JPEG

IMG_3256.JPEG

We didn't stop again until we reached the Florida Welcome Center.
IMG_3264.JPEG
It felt good to get out and stretch our legs and take a restroom break. Man, we looked tired in this picture. Probably because we were. Look at the banner hanging from the rest area. Walt Disney World 50th anniversary!

IMG_3262.JPEG

**Up next: Picnicking like pros!

Last edited:
Longtime lurker here coming out to say hi. We just got back from our most recent trip on Saturday, but my husband and I were also there at the same time as you in November. 11th-17th to be exact. I can't wait to read all about your trip!

LOVE your performance! Also, totally in awe of your prep work and very much envious of the packing space available to those who drive! (Wonder if they'd let us sing on the plane..... haha)

Longtime lurker here coming out to say hi. We just got back from our most recent trip on Saturday, but my husband and I were also there at the same time as you in November. 11th-17th to be exact. I can't wait to read all about your trip!
I'm so glad that you commented! Are you writing a report about either of your trips?
LOVE your performance! Also, totally in awe of your prep work and very much envious of the packing space available to those who drive! (Wonder if they'd let us sing on the plane..... haha)
Thank you! I am a planner and try to get as much done prior to the trip as possible so as to not freak out the day before we leave. I've thought about flying but the prices here are ridiculous because our airport is small. And I would not be able to take as much stuff as I do.

Lady, I love love love that you talked about elder care and all of the tasks that so often fall to the mom in the family as a part of your trip report. Going away is so much fun but it takes preparation. Doubly so if you are caring for either parents or children.

Aww, thank you. My mother took care of me when I was a child so I figure I can repay her by helping her.

Excited to read your trip report! You did an amazing job driving half way across the country! Love all the details. We used to live in Dallas and did the drive from there through Vicksburg to Birmingham a few times for Nascar races way back in the early 90's. It is a longggg drive :) Can't wait to hear more!

Excited to read your trip report! You did an amazing job driving half way across the country! Love all the details. We used to live in Dallas and did the drive from there through Vicksburg to Birmingham a few times for Nascar races way back in the early 90's. It is a longggg drive :) Can't wait to hear more!

I'm glad you are here! We used to travel through Birmingham when our daughter was in missionary college in Georgia. That's a long dull ride!

Another long time lurker, finally stepping out to say hi. I've been reading so long that I can't believe Hunter is grown and married already! I love reading your trip reports... your family is fantastic! Looking forward to reading more :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter