Healthy Living from the INSIDE OUT - May 2016 WISH Challenge

I'm so sorry for the continued radio silence. I've continued to be unbelievably swamped at work and just simply haven't had a free moment for you good people. Currently just alternating between work and sleep right now. I'm pretty sure neither my husband nor my dog remembers what I look like. The cat still loves me though. She greeted me at the door when I stumbled in from the office at 2:00 a.m. last night while the other two just snored away.

Congratulations @courtneybeth! You look amazing, happy, and accomplished. :)

I've got lots of other catching up to do but I'm going to stick with just a question for the weekend for now.

QOTW - May 21/22

We are closing in on the home stretch of May now! With 10 days left in the month, what are you going to do to make it over the finish line in style? Any changes in goals, plans, or routine? Or are you happily motoring along in auto pilot?

Bonus question: how are you going to replenish yourself on Sunday for the week ahead?

One drawback of less walking currently is that I am burning far less calories. I rarely have hit 2000 kcal burned per day the last week. If I want to keep my 750 kcal deficit this means I would eat so little! So, I changed my setting to a 500 kcal deficit. The interesting thing is that even though this still means that many days I will be able to eat less than I used to, I am not more hungry! It seems that my body really can tell me how much food it needs to be fueled! I am moving less, but I am also less hungry. This was such a lightbulb moment for me today! Now I just need to work hard to keep this great communications channel that I have finally been able to open up with my own body and keep listening to what it is telling me!

I find 500 a day sustainable. I have some days I hit more but 500 is my aim, particularly if I know I will try to do it for several months

R
QOTW - May 21/22

We are closing in on the home stretch of May now! With 10 days left in the month, what are you going to do to make it over the finish line in style? Any changes in goals, plans, or routine? Or are you happily motoring along in auto pilot?

Bonus question: how are you going to replenish yourself on Sunday for the week ahead?

I did 30000 steps yesterday. Nearly 31 actually! Some fit bit goal day and I decided to beat my previous record. (For this device). I will be taking it easy today

Had burger salad last night with few glasses of prosecco.

What will I do to push myself? Honestly nothing. I am having great workouts in the gym. 2 weekly, 3 will be better for the winter but for now I am happy with that. My calorie deficit daily is better then what I planned to aim for month and half ago. I walk a lot. I am pretty consistent making good choices and very moderate in treats. If I push any further I will burn myself out

Where the work for me will be is to keep the mindset and try to be patient. I am doing the right things. The timelines may be little longer but I will get there. I am happy with my lifestyle right now. I don't over eat. I don't feel deprived. I exercise bit I don't feel drained starved. My energy levels and mood is good. Feels sustainable

Still have good bit to do today but I hope to meet friend in town late afternoon.

Congratulations Courtney. Is so good to reach this great milestone. :rainbow:

Morning all! Up and moving today..... DS made it safely home from prom last night and seemed to have a good time. My parents are here this morning, but need to leave early to get to church for a meeting, so I'm not going to linger here for now. I'll pop back later today to catch up a bit more!....................P

Weekly check-in:

It's been a pretty crazy week with my daughter's birthday and the end of school. I also signed up for my first 10K (next Saturday) and did my first outdoor practice run yesterday.

My numbers are not pretty - only lost 1.5 lbs this week. It would be one thing if I ate bad and didn't work out, but that wasn't the case. Just one of those weeks I guess. It's the worst week numbers wise I have had since I started.

Started the month at 259 and the goal was to lose 14 lbs. I'm currently at 249.5 lbs which is 68% of my goal. Gonna need some major help to make my goal this month!

:jumping1: Congratulations Courtney!!! You look fabulous in your cap and gown - so happy you shared this with us.

Congratulations @courtneybeth! You look amazing, happy, and accomplished. :)

Congratulations Courtney. Is so good to reach this great milestone. :rainbow:

Thank you guys and thank you to @wenrob, @piglet1979, @pjlla, @Flossbolna, @HappyGrape, and @SarahDisney for the "likes".

The culmination of the goal may be concluded but the journey, struggle and adventure continues onwards because we never really stop! The good habits I have picked up will be a part of me forever (whether I like it or not!). When we all start to reach our goals we need to remember it's not a hard stop. It's a process. So now I am going to keep working hard to keep it up -- though the lure of a cheeseburger and shake make me want to do otherwise.

This next week at Disney World is one part fun and one part smart choices. And then it's back to the routine to undue the damage - but I'll enjoy the moment. 1-2 pounds won't kill me, but knowing I have a solution to this makes me happy and I'm not picking up old habits!

I am happy to hear that everyone is still sticking with this thread, even though other things are kind taking off their path a little at the moment!

I had a good Saturday. Had a massive migraine the last two days and finally am back to feeling normal again. Very happy with myself that I did another Jillian Michael DVD workout today. I think this will be my main exercise over the next two weeks until my inserts will be ready and then hopefully my foot will get some relieve and can heal! I really try not to overdo the walking right now. Tomorrow is the big project of getting the bike out and start biking again. I used to bike so much, but then I kind of started to walk instead and figured out that I was burning more calories when I was walking and somehow got out of the biking. But, now it is a necessity, I just MUST GET STARTED!! So please, everyone, ask me tomorrow how my biking went!

One drawback of less walking currently is that I am burning far less calories. I rarely have hit 2000 kcal burned per day the last week. If I want to keep my 750 kcal deficit this means I would eat so little! So, I changed my setting to a 500 kcal deficit. The interesting thing is that even though this still means that many days I will be able to eat less than I used to, I am not more hungry! It seems that my body really can tell me how much food it needs to be fueled! I am moving less, but I am also less hungry. This was such a lightbulb moment for me today! Now I just need to work hard to keep this great communications channel that I have finally been able to open up with my own body and keep listening to what it is telling me!
How did your biking go?

QOTW - May 21/22

I have a few ideas of what I'm going to do over the next 10 days, and hopefully I'll stick to them:
1 - Track EVERYTHING ... mostly. There are times when I can't get on the phone or computer, so I won't stress those meals. But if I can get to the phone or computer within 10-15 minutes of deciding on/making a meal, it gets tracked. And that includes the stupid handfuls of peanut m&ms that I've been taking lately (I should probably stop that, right?)
2 - No seconds. Even if there's room in the plan for more ... no seconds of anything. If I feel like I do need to eat more, I can eat something else. We usually have multiple proteins and vegetables at our meals, so I can try something I didn't have on my first plate.
3 - Up the ante on exercise. My running is going okay (mostly), and I don't want to up that right now because my knee has finally stopped acting wonky so I want to maintain the status quo for a while (and not force it into acting wonky again). But lately I've been slacking on my cross training ... I've been doing a little, but not enough. My "rule" has been two (minimum) 15-minute cross training sessions per week ... that's being upped to a minimum of 20-minutes. Which is what I was doing a few months ago, so it shouldn't be too hard.
4 - Stop being angry. This is the hardest one, but I think that if I can cut back on the angry for a little bit, I can focus more on healthy. I just have a lot of things that are not going the way I want them to, and it's making me angry. I'm naturally a pretty angry person, and when there are things around that make me angry, it's just easy to stay angry. I need to work on letting go of the angry a bit and focus on just getting through the day. Once I'm not focusing on how angry I am, I can start to focus on other things.

COFFEE!
I was trying to see how long I could go without the coffee, but Sundays are hard for me because I kinda have to go to sleep late on Saturday nights (just the nature of my day) and I get up early to run on Sundays. So the coffee has made the day a little less sluggish for me, and now I'm going to see if I can make it to the end of the week (or my Wednesday Starbucks trip if that ends up happening) without more coffee.
My ultimate goal is going to be 3-4 cups of coffee a week, but after a few weeks of coffee every day, I know that I need to cut back a lot and then start reintroducing it more gradually.

This next week at Disney World is one part fun and one part smart choices. And then it's back to the routine to undue the damage - but I'll enjoy the moment. 1-2 pounds won't kill me, but knowing I have a solution to this makes me happy and I'm not picking up old habits!

The great thing is ... you know how far you've come and how you got here. When faced with difficult decisions, you will make the right decision, because you know how to make the right decision. Sometimes that right decision is the Croque Glace (okay, always the right decision), but only because you know that a few treats won't derail you, and even if you have a small gain on vacation, you can come back from it. That's an awesome accomplishment (almost as awesome as getting your MBA), and I'm sure it will make the trip extra-enjoyable to know that you can have these treats without hurting yourself!

Weekly checkin...

Weight 191.6... I'm totally gobsmacked and have no idea how that happened. I may actually get the WDW weight off by end of month but beyond that does feel like it is out of reach. So this is 66% of goal.

Averaging my four May goals, with the others being 100% I come out with 92% overall.

What am I going to do to wrap May up in style? Well, as I mentioned I've signed up for Blue Apron. As a single that gives me 6 meals each week. I don't normally eat much for dinner so I anticipate using many for lunches. It's going to get me cooking and trying new things, so I'm excited.

I've been keeping my step counts up and have also started the 250 steps per hour goal. Next weekend I go to the beach with my Sister. There will be more eating than I normally do, so I'll have to be mindful. When I'm there I do a lot of beach walking which my Sister won't nessesarily be interested in, so I'll need to figure that out as well.

I think the October vacation planning is finally finally figured out. There's a tour that starts and ends in San Antonio but also goes out to the Big Bend area. With this tour I won't need a rental car which saves quite a bit, and as an added bonus it wraps up on the Wednesday I would have been heading to WDW to meet up with my friends, so I think I'm going to go ahead and do both.

Hope all have a lovely Sunday.

Weekly Check-in
Days: 22/31
Percentage: 71%

I was worried about finding a way to get the time in yesterday with all the craziness, but i was over step goal by nearly 3000 yesterday. Whew. We had a great walk through the local old town area on the way to our afternoon tea. Happy accident.

Still at 39% here for sure though not up as much now still up for some reason. Next week will be iffy that is about TOM for me. I'll try to finish catching up in a little bit. I read a few. Some really great pics everyone. :) I want to share some but Flickr(where I usually upload to) is giving me errors. :( So maybe eventually.

Last edited:
Check in

I did not lose this week but I didn't gain. I will take it. It was a bad week. I didn't eat great and I didn't work out. I did still get a few days of 10,000 though. This coming up week will be crazy. 4th grade farewell for my son (huge party for the kids and I am in charge of the food), last day of school, City pageant for my daughter, baseball for my son, final shopping for the trip. Somewhere in there I need to get an oil change and work 3 days.

I have accepted that I will not reach 135 pounds by our trip and I am ok with it. The pills I am on now are making it harder to lose but I am still losing slowly. As of today I am at 11% of my goal.

Thank you guys and thank you to @wenrob, @piglet1979, @pjlla, @Flossbolna, @HappyGrape, and @SarahDisney for the "likes".

The culmination of the goal may be concluded but the journey, struggle and adventure continues onwards because we never really stop! The good habits I have picked up will be a part of me forever (whether I like it or not!). When we all start to reach our goals we need to remember it's not a hard stop. It's a process. So now I am going to keep working hard to keep it up -- though the lure of a cheeseburger and shake make me want to do otherwise.

This make me so happy to read.... because it means you really GOT IT! This isn't the "end of the line".... it is just the beginning of your healthy life at a healthy weight! Sure, vacations will happen and a few pounds here and there are often the result.... but enjoy the moment and have a plan to lose the "fun" pounds after the vacation and you are on SOLID GROUND for a life full of health!! HUGE congratulations on your graduation and of course, have a great celebration trip!!..................P

Hi friends!! I promised to return and here I am! I have gotten a lot accomplished this weekend and I'm feeling good about the week ahead.... plus I went out to eat with my DH and parents last night (their treat as an anniversary gift to DH and I) and I tracked my meal when I got home and it was MUCH lighter than I anticipated and I still had more than enough SP left for a light beer to top off the night! I had prepped the start of a batch of red, white, and green chicken chili to eat with my parents last night, but since they took us out, we are having it for dinner tonight instead (DS is out with his girlfriend and her family, so I won't need to feed him). And I prepped a big batch of my "very veggie chili" and we will have that Thursday night. Tomorrow night will be our meatless Monday (forgot to buy tofu so it will either be eggs or a quinoa stew), Tuesday night will be meatballs in the crockpot for the men (if they are home), and Wednesday night will be confetti spaghetti squash. I also tore apart 4 rotisserie chickens from the markdown rack and broke them into 5 oz servings and then froze the portions to bring to DD on my next visit. My Mom brought fresh rhubard, but I'm not sure I'll get to it tonight.... but I definitely want to make a low cal/low carb crumble and some rhubarb sauce for yogurt. Anyone else spend some time doing food prep this weekend?

Prom was last night and DS and his girl looked adorable.... she is super cute and tiny (DS is 6'1") so they make a bit of an odd couple, but they are just two peas in a pod and I'm sure they had a great time. I'll ask him if I can share pictures later. Anyhow, they are on the robotics team together and their robotics team theme is the Wizard of Oz.... DS has played the Tin Man for the past 4 years and his girlfriend has played Dorothy for the past 2 years (she is only a sophomore) so she put on her "ruby slippers" (red Keds) and he put on his TinMan funnel hat for a few pictures.... it was adorable!

I've been weeding and doing yard work today but the ticks are just crazy! Final count for today ( after I found one crawling on my bra in the hamper), was 6 !! Thankfully only 1 was a deer tick... the rest were the standard brown dog tick... yucky but not disease carrying, thank heavens. Also weeded by the culvert where our resident porcupine lives and ended up grabbing a handful of leaves/weeds that contained a discarded quill and got it right in the tip of a finger.... OUCH! Combine that with the black flies, the bees, and the poison ivy and I feel lucky to have finished the day fairly unscathed! :scared: Showered and scrubbed to be sure I got all of the ticks and I am feeling relaxed and clean and and I may even read for a few minutes tonight (after I fold the three loads of clean laundry that are waiting and plan my outfit for work tomorrow).

I'll be back in the a.m.!................................P

Last edited:
Hi friends!! I promised to return and here I am! I have gotten a lot accomplished this weekend and I'm feeling good about the week ahead.... plus I went out to eat with my DH and parents last night (their treat as an anniversary gift to DH and I) and I tracked my meal when I got home and it was MUCH lighter than I anticipated and I still had more than enough SP left for a light beer to top off the night! I had prepped the start of a batch of red, white, and green chicken chili to eat with my parents last night, but since they took us out, we are having it for dinner tonight instead (DS is out with his girlfriend and her family, so I won't need to feed him). And I prepped a big batch of my "very veggie chili" and we will have that Thursday night. Tomorrow night will be our meatless Monday (forgot to buy tofu so it will either be eggs or a quinoa stew), Tuesday night will be meatballs in the crockpot for the men (if they are home), and Wednesday night will be confetti spaghetti squash. I also torn apart 4 rotisserie chickens from the markdown rack and broke them into 5 oz servings and then froze the portions to bring to DD on my next visit. My Mom brought fresh rhubard, but I'm not sure I'll get to it tonight.... but I definitely want to make a low cal/low carb crumble and some rhubarb sauce for yogurt. Anyone else spend some time doing food prep this weekend?

Prom was last night and DS and his girl looked adorable.... she is super cute and tiny (DS is 6'1") so they make a bit of an odd couple, but they are just two peas in a pod and I'm sure they had a great time. I'll ask him if I can share pictures later. Anyhow, they are on the robotics team together and their robotics team theme is the Wizard of Oz.... DS has played the Tin Man for the past 4 years and his girlfriend has played Dorothy for the past 2 years (she is only a sophomore) so she put on her "ruby slippers" (red Keds) and he put on his TinMan funnel hat for a few pictures.... it was adorable!

I've been weeding and doing yard work today but the ticks are just crazy! Final count for today ( after I found one crawling on my bra in the hamper), was 6 !! Thankfully only 1 was a deer tick... the rest were the standard brown dog tick... yucky but not disease carrying, thank heavens. Also weeded by the culvert where our resident porcupine lives and ended up grabbing a handful of leave/weeds that contained a discarded quill and got it right in the tip of a finger.... OUCH! Combine that with the black flies, the bees, and the poison ivy and I feel lucky to have finished the day fairly unscathed! :scared: Showered and scrubbed to be sure I got all of the ticks and I am feeling relaxed and clean and and I may even read for a few minutes tonight (after I fold the three loads of clean laundry that are waiting and plan my outfit for work tomorrow).

I'll be back in the a.m.!................................P

Sounds like you had a great weekend. I was always really tiny in High School and I always dated guys that were over 6 foot. Like a foot and half taller then me.

Ticks scare me. We don't have a ton around here but my daughter had one once. I flipped. Thankfully my husband was home and dealt with it or I would have taken to the ER. I was lucky to find it. It was on her hair line and I was putting her hair up. Did still take her in to the doctor even though they said I didn't need to. I needed it for peace of mind. I even burned the tick after the doc said he didn't need to see to make sure what kind it was.

Congratulations @courtneybeth !!!!! party:I saw some of the festivities on Instagram and it looked like a fabulous time!!!

QOTD: I am good in auto pilot right now. I am loosing but without cutting everything. (I had my fair share of wine this month and even a piece of cake at a party! Haha!) But I am really learning how to balance these things within the bigger picture of my lifestyle. Now that I think about it though, maybe I should step up my game a little bit. We will be at WDW for 3 days starting Friday so I need to make sure I compensate for a few indulgences we have planned. Namely Tusker House breakfast (mainly for the Jungle Book package) but I loooooove that place so I need to make sure I don't over do it!

Weekly checkin: 75%

The slow down of weight loss is annoying. Not like in the past, like I would give up or try to do even more and eat less but still...

I am little fed up focusing on weight loss goal, looking forward for next month already.

Just over a week to go. 3lbs to go to my goal. Can I? I have been really good for 3 weeks. MFP + Fitbit say I have created deficit to reach my 6lbs goal, or nearly. It will really be good if the scale does it's trick where effort of few weeks shows in the same time!

one can hope, right

:)

Good Monday morning friends!! I got moving enough to allow just a few minutes to catch up here, but since the boards were quiet this weekend, it didn't take too long! Lunch is packed for both DS and I, breakfast is being consumed, and I am ready (as I'll ever be) for my day! I am NOT working 24/7 chat tonight, so hopefully there will be time for yard work or a walk tonight.... but I made spend the "found" time doing some more food prep. I bought a TON of groceries Saturday and it would be nice to get SEVERAL meals into the freezer. We have some very busy weeks coming up with robotics (post-season event), DS's graduation and a family wedding (on the SAME day!), and then my birthday, Father's Day, and DS's graduation party followed closely by July 4th holiday! Yikes.... summer will be in FULL SWING before you know it!

Decided that tonight's Meatless Monday will be grilled squash and hummus wraps.... mmmmmm... looking forward to that! BBL today if I can!..........P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter