Daily room checks

disprincess2213

DIS Veteran
Are resorts still doing the daily room security checks? We are traveling with toddlers that nap in the afternoon time. Is there a way to “schedule” it so they don’t wake them up? Will they still enter if the do not disturb is on? I could even write a note saying cranky toddlers napping beware lol! Thanks!

Yes, daily room checks are still happening and they do come in even if the sign is on the door. I think the wording on the sign has changed and no longer says 'do not disturb', I think it now says 'room occupied'. They usually knock then immediately open the door. You can put the security lock on the door (the metal lock up top that prevents someone from entering) but there may still be a bit of a commotion when they knock and are prevented from entering. You can go to the front desk and ask them not to enter the room during a specific time frame but there's no guarantee they will abide by your request.

Which resort are you staying in? When I stay in a mod or value, with the window next to the door, I keep the curtains open if I am in the room and they usually see me through the window so they aren’t as aggressive with the knocking. They also allow me time to answer the door instead of immediately trying to come in.

Yes they still do room checks but they are much more respectful than they were if the room occupied signs. My recent stay at BLT they didn’t once try and come in if the sign was up. They also did not bang on the door at 7am check out day which is the first time in a long time we haven’t had this happen

If you call and request room to be cleaned within a window you know you’ll be out you won’t have an issue. They only do security IF you skipped cleaning.

Last edited:
We usually stay at the Cabins at Fort Wilderness and even with the room occupied sign on and all of the curtains open they still knock on the door and come in and look around...they do, however, usually give us time to answer the door instead of just barging right in immediately after knocking....

We asked for after 11am each day and I think they purposely came at 8:30 each morning! Sign out and all.
Which resort?

Requesting after 11 AM is a bad time for daily cleaning. The mousekeepers are busy turning over rooms where guests are checking out daily. They normally stop by earlier in the morning or later in the day.

Dave

It seems like "do not disturb sign" is a signal for them to do a room check if the room hasn't been cleaned yet. It seems as if every time DH is napping and I put the sign up while I go to the pool, they knock on the door for a room check - every time! (Okay, maybe I exaggerate, but it does seem like it. )

Which resort?

Requesting after 11 AM is a bad time for daily cleaning. The mousekeepers are busy turning over rooms where guests are checking out daily. They normally stop by earlier in the morning or later in the day.

Dave
WL, and we requested any time after 11am. I don't blame the housekeepers, I don't think the information was ever communicated to them. We survived!

We just returned today from 5 days at OKW. Room checks were usually between 10:00-12:00 and they empty the trash cans. When the bathroom was being used, she just came in to empty the kitchen can and left. In and out in about two minutes.

It seems like "do not disturb sign" is a signal for them to do a room check if the room hasn't been cleaned yet. It seems as if every time DH is napping and I put the sign up while I go to the pool, they knock on the door for a room check - every time! (Okay, maybe I exaggerate, but it does seem like it. )
Housekeeping can be a substitute for the room check. So if they haven't done HK yet, they will want to do the room check. The problem that we have may be like you, one person leaves so the person in the room doesn't flip the latch. My wife woke up to someone standing in the living area of AKV Kidani while I was out of the room. It wasn't a pleasant surprise. She found it rather frightening. There has to be a better way.

If you opt in to housekeeping - currently at values it’s every other day so I wonder if they do room checks on the days you don’t get housekeeping.

What' the point of a room check if you specify the time?
Because the family that’s been visiting WDW for the last decade every year with Grandma coming along might have been recruited by some terrorist organization, and may possibly forget to hide all of their big weapons and stuff prior to the room check which is taking place at the prearranged time, conducted by maids who are doubling as specially trained counterterrorism agents. This ridiculous and intrusive security theater is such an utter waste of time.

They know when you come back to the room. I have dogs and leave the “I have dogs” sign on the door, so they won’t enter when I am not there. Without fail, when I come back to take them for their mid-day walk, someone appears within 10-15 minutes, usually just as I have returned from walking them. I have to put them back on their leashes and drag them out of the room again while some rando comes in to touch every surface in the room by flicking switches, turning faucets on and off, and jiggling door handles because “safety.” It was one of many things that has us visiting Universal over Disney these days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter