Hand, foot, and mouth disease

I also don't know if the other parents of the kids in DD's delegation know this child is sick. Could be interesting at the bus station this morning! Given the vast amount of money tied up in transporting 5 people round-trip between Bangor, ME and Lisbon, Portugal, I cannot believe that there's no travel insurance to cover the added expense of a sick child having to fly to (or from) the program at a different time than the rest. There is a lot about this program that we don't know because DD hasn't "grown up" in the program... it's something that kids do from about age 10, with different international opportunities, with different structures, offered based on age.

That was my first thought -- this is precisely what travel insurance is for, and there is no way I'd have booked a month-long travel for my 11 year old without some insurance!!! I've been around kids with this disease and they always seem so MISERABLE! It's nice if this kid isn't, but that's not a nice thing to risk giving to others.
I do think the program sounds awesome though! I hope the boy ends up being fine and does not cause your DD any stress.

My children got it as infants...it was miserable. The sores were in their throats. They could not eat (nurse) or sleep. They were just in pain. We spent 3 nights (each had 2 sleepless nights-and they were twins so one was sick night 1, both night 2, and the 2nd one was still sick night 3) just carrying them around...which still didn't work...nothing worked.

Anyhow, I know for some people it is just a few sores on their feet while others it is very painful.

Well... the child in question seemed pretty subdued at the bus station- totally not involved with any of the other kids, no smiles, etc. It could be because he is sick, but I don't know him at all so maybe this is just part of his personality. It could also be because he's about to leave home for a month at the age of 11. Anyhow, although there is travel insurance, I think I found out what is really the motivating factor in this scenario. Mom and partner are headed to California tonight for a 10 night vacation. I am guessing that keeping the child home until they are sure he's well/not contagious would interrupt more than just the trip to Portugal. Where's that "Mother of the Year" award??? OK, I shouldn't be snarky, but I think sending this kid to Europe at this point is irresponsible on a variety of fronts.

Well... the child in question seemed pretty subdued at the bus station- totally not involved with any of the other kids, no smiles, etc. It could be because he is sick, but I don't know him at all so maybe this is just part of his personality. It could also be because he's about to leave home for a month at the age of 11. Anyhow, although there is travel insurance, I think I found out what is really the motivating factor in this scenario. Mom and partner are headed to California tonight for a 10 night vacation. I am guessing that keeping the child home until they are sure he's well/not contagious would interrupt more than just the trip to Portugal. Where's that "Mother of the Year" award??? OK, I shouldn't be snarky, but I think sending this kid to Europe at this point is irresponsible on a variety of fronts.

Thank goodness there is trip insurance at least. I hope nobody winds up needing it, or uncomfortable as a result either.

I honestly assumed the insistence the child attend was something along the lines of his Harvard application or something like that. I do agree that it's likely much more self serving from what you've outlined.

Ugh!! Yes, it appears so. Someone needs to speak with mom. Your child is more important than a trip with your partner.... Welcome to parenting mom!!

Wow, that's really awful.

Sad that Mom's vacation is more important than her own child's health.

Ugh!! Yes, it appears so. Someone needs to speak with mom. Your child is more important than a trip with your partner.... Welcome to parenting mom!!

The situation didn't get far without mom getting plenty of hints she needed to change direction, she elected to be myopic enough to avoid them. She'll choose deafness to any comments that don't include -- our policy forbids . . .

I'm guessing the other parents don't know the situation because of privacy regulations, and mom sure isn't going to advertise. I think the organization needs to take a review at their policies going forward.

Well, mom schlepped the kid around town, saw pediatricians, ERs, and walk-in care, and finally professional #5 wrote the note that says the kid is medically cleared to go overseas tomorrow. The doctor's note relieves the program of responsibility, so they are satisfied. My daughter is a different story! She is not looking forward to the possibility of sick children in a foreign company. Fortunately she will be one of 12 adults in charge of delegations, and there is also a professional staff at the compound where they are staying, so she won't be the only one responsible for this child. Now if only SHE doesn't get sick.

I hate parents like this! Honestly you first have the fact that the kid is contagious and could infect the others in his group, those at his destination and anyone on the plane any of which including the airline staff that could have connections to other areas and people, and the people on the plane after them. Then you have the fact she is willing to make her kid push through despite not feeling well and it not being he best thing for them.

The airline will still have the right to refuse boarding.

One WDW trip our DD broke out in chicken pox the day before we were meant to head back home, we called the airline and were unable to board, travel insurance covered all costs but we had to wait 10 extra days to come home.

I hate parents like this! Honestly you first have the fact that the kid is contagious and could infect the others in his group, those at his destination and anyone on the plane any of which including the airline staff that could have connections to other areas and people, and the people on the plane after them. Then you have the fact she is willing to make her kid push through despite not feeling well and it not being he best thing for them.

One WDW trip our DD broke out in chicken pox the day before we were meant to head back home, we called the airline and were unable to board, travel insurance covered all costs but we had to wait 10 extra days to come home.
And if this kid has visible sores, they also can look like another type of pox.

This is an international program that aims to educate and inspire action for a more just and peaceful world. The organization operates international educational programs on an annual basis to bring together participants from member countries. My daughter is the chaperone for four 11 year olds (2 girls, 2 boys); their delegation will meet up with similarly aged/structured delegations from about a dozen other countries. They will stay mostly on site at a "compound" of sorts, where they'll do whatever it is the program is about (sorry, we didn't do this when DD was a kid as it's just too expensive). There will therefore be approximately 60 international participants (approx. 12 chaperones and 48 eleven year olds) and the host country's residential staff. I know the kids seem quite young, but the program has been operating successfully since the 1950s. DD became involved upon the recommendation of a close friend; the original chaperone for the group dropped out and they needed someone fast. DD saw it as a "free" trip to Portugal and jumped at the chance. She's been to two weekend-long trainings as well as having taken first aid and CPR training. It's been stressful for her- she takes this responsibility VERY seriously- and having a potentially contagious "sickie" in the group is more than she signed on for. Unfortunately, she cannot back out at this late date; the bus to the airport leaves at 11am on 7/28! (besides, we'd have to repay the program for the costs of the 2 trainings, the first aid course, and DD's bus and airfare to Portugal. Don't have that much disposable cash!)

I know this is "just" HF&M but it strikes me this is how the end of the world viruses spread at the start of a horror movie, patient zero (this kid) travels gives it to everyone at this conference each of them goes back home. Boom worldwide Zombie outbreak

We were boarding a plane back to Australia when my eldest started complaining of a migraine and then started throwing up. They removed us, our luggage, sent us off to a LAX hotel for the night, organised a medic, and put us on another flight home the following night - all comped by them. They thought it was meningitis - it wasn't. But they were not taking any chances.

We picked up this illness in Disney 2 years ago. It was pretty nasty. My boys were 2, 2 and 5 and had a high fever and lots of vomiting for 24-48 hours and a couple days later the rash started. It wasn't too bad for my twins but my older one had terrible pain from the rash. Then my DH caught it and was crazy sick. Worse than he was with the flu.

The doctor said they shouldn't be too contagious by the time the rash appeared but that wasn't what I read.

6 weeks later they lost all of their fingernails and toenails also from the virus. They grew back except for one of ODS's. It eventually grew back very deformed. 2 years later it's still not normal but looks much better.

It's definitely not pleasant. I'd be very hesitant about letting him go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter