FP or dining pkg seating better for ROL...

Any suggestions for parties traveling with a manual wheelchair? My mother will be with us, and we are renting a manual wheelchair for her for the week, as she has had knee replacements and tires easily. Our plan is to use it primarily to get across parks, and then she can get out and do rides/shows/etc. in the immediate area by walking/standing, then back into the wheelchair to travel to another area of the park. I think we would just park the wheelchair wherever stroller parking is, right? So in general she will not need special entrances, special ride vehicles, or any of that. But for this show I am a little worried about the stairs and how much standing there will be ahead of time, so might consider the wheelchair seating. My questions:
  • If we have a dining package, do we still go to the dining entrance if she is in the wheelchair? Or to a wheelchair entrance?
  • We are a party of 6. Would we split into two parties of 2 and 4 (her + 1 in the wheelchair seating area and the other four in the dining package seating), or would we all be together in the wheelchair seating (thinking that's too many but just to ask what their usual policy is on this)?
Thanks for any input!
KSL

Any suggestions for parties traveling with a manual wheelchair? My mother will be with us, and we are renting a manual wheelchair for her for the week, as she has had knee replacements and tires easily. Our plan is to use it primarily to get across parks, and then she can get out and do rides/shows/etc. in the immediate area by walking/standing, then back into the wheelchair to travel to another area of the park. I think we would just park the wheelchair wherever stroller parking is, right? So in general she will not need special entrances, special ride vehicles, or any of that. But for this show I am a little worried about the stairs and how much standing there will be ahead of time, so might consider the wheelchair seating. My questions:
  • If we have a dining package, do we still go to the dining entrance if she is in the wheelchair? Or to a wheelchair entrance?
  • We are a party of 6. Would we split into two parties of 2 and 4 (her + 1 in the wheelchair seating area and the other four in the dining package seating), or would we all be together in the wheelchair seating (thinking that's too many but just to ask what their usual policy is on this)?
Thanks for any input!
KSL
Using an ECV my experience has been my party comes with me to sit in the handicapped section. You may end up at the top or at the bottom of that section as I'm looking at it. I've just had my knee done and I'm going to try doing the park without assistance, but have a back up plan if my knee can't hack it. I'd say...see how she is feeling getting in and out of rides and walking and waiting in the cues. She will better be able to tell if she will be okay going up and down stairs. Those tend to be the toughest on the knees but she can probably judge it after she's spend some time in the parks.

Reactions: KSL
You all convinced me! I am going over Easter Week and staying off site so can only make FP selections at the 30 day mark. I just booked a ROL Tusker House breakfast package at 10:40 AM on my AK day. I really wanted 10:50, but it was already gone. I checked again after I booked and I think I got the very last breakfast slot for April 11th!

Thanks everyone!
I just scored at 8:10 AM pre park opening Rivers of Light Breakfast Package for my date. That is so much better than 10:40!

We just returned from our trip. We did the Tiffins dining package on 3/4, and we really enjoyed it. I think our night was only scheduled to have one show but ended up with two. Here's my mini-review

We had a 3:25 reservation for Tiffins and were seated on time. We were able to order off of the regular menu (one appetizer, one entree, one dessert, and one non-alcoholic drink per person). The food was excellent, and we loved our server. When we were finishing dinner, he gave us our tickets for ROL with instruction to be at the theater between 6:30 and 6:45 for the 7:15 show. However, while younger DD and I were waiting to meet Pocahontas, DH wandered over to the dining seating area for ROL and was chatting with the CM. The CM manning the entrance was adamant that we should get there by 6:30 at the absolute latest and probably earlier. We ended up getting there at 6:25 and had no problems getting a seat. By 6:45, it was pretty full, and by 7:00 (which is still in the recommended window on the WDW website), I don't think you would have been able to get a seat, and a larger group would most certainly have had to be split up. The SB area was almost at capacity by 6:30. I have pictures that DH took with the times they were taken. I will post those shortly.

In terms of the show itself, we loved it. I know people have had concerns that little kids might not like it because it doesn't have Disney characters, but my four-year-old was enchanted by it. She said it was "all she ever wanted" and that she "loves it so much she might cry, but it would be happy crying." My ten-year-old really enjoyed it as well.

Getting out of the theater after the show was not a problem at all, even with the later group coming in. We walked down from the seats and out to the right side of the dining area as you face the water. We had no issues with the crowd, and we were still able to get in three rides on Primeval Whirl between the end of ROL and park close.

I'm happy to answer any questions about the seating, show, or dining package.

If you have a reservation at Tusker House, does this automatically qualify you for the dining package, or is there a special place and more $ for that package?

If you have a reservation at Tusker House, does this automatically qualify you for the dining package, or is there a special place and more $ for that package?
special package, but only marginally more $$$, like less than $10 per person

No it does not qualify for the dining package. You will have to go into reservations and book the dining package. They are 2 different things.

Do we know if there are one or two shows in July? And what time would you book the restaurant for if you want to go to the earlier show?

Do we know if there are one or two shows in July? And what time would you book the restaurant for if you want to go to the earlier show?

All dining packages give you seating for the first show only (if there are two). It doesn't matter if you want to have breakfast, lunch or dinner. We hope to book for lunch at Tiffins, so we can take a break at the hotel and go back to AK for night time things without rushing.

I'm hoping that the delay in releasing for July and Aug is consideration of the idea of having dining packages for both 1st and 2nd show. With how crowded dining package seating is, it seems that such a change would be warranted - if the restaurants have the capacity for it.

All dining packages give you seating for the first show only (if there are two). It doesn't matter if you want to have breakfast, lunch or dinner. We hope to book for lunch at Tiffins, so we can take a break at the hotel and go back to AK for night time things without rushing.

I think that might have changed...I had a dinner package at Tiffins for the first seating for 4/20. When I booked it, I'm not sure if there were two shows scheduled that night yet or not, but the first seating is the only thing that came up for the dining packages and you couldn't book very late. Anyway, when I tried to make it a little later a couple of nights ago, I could get a later time - 6:30 pm, and it is for the second showing. Not sure if that's a consistent thing? Just passing along our experience...

I think that might have changed...I had a dinner package at Tiffins for the first seating for 4/20. When I booked it, I'm not sure if there were two shows scheduled that night yet or not, but the first seating is the only thing that came up for the dining packages and you couldn't book very late. Anyway, when I tried to make it a little later a couple of nights ago, I could get a later time - 6:30 pm, and it is for the second showing. Not sure if that's a consistent thing? Just passing along our experience...

The original MDE leaks showed packages for three shows option.

Makes sense it would evolve to this.

This was the screenshot posted by Disney Food Blog.

IMG_9607.jpg

Thanks for the info. I remember reading somewhere that dinner must be three hours before show time. 6:30 Dinner can't be for the first show then. Good to know. I hope we actually get to choose which show we want if there are more than two shows.

Thanks for the info. I remember reading somewhere that dinner must be three hours before show time. 6:30 Dinner can't be for the first show then. Good to know. I hope we actually get to choose which show we want if there are more than two shows.

I think it's like by default by what dinner time you choose. Like I said, when I initially booked, I think there was only one show, but since you have to eat 3 hours before, it wouldn't let me select a time later than 5:30, I think. Then when I just checked it on a lark the other night, I could go later, but by then they had added the other times. But it's definitely identified as 2nd showing on my MDE. The old screenshot @HopperFan posted makes it look like they let you choose, so maybe that's coming down the river, so to speak...

I just tried to make a reservation for April, and it does give you different show times depending on your meal time.

Tiffins Restaurant Dinner -ROL 2nd Viewing
6:10 PM Dinner for 5 Guests
Date: Saturday, April 22, 2017
Location: Disney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park, Discovery Island

I just tried to make a reservation for April, and it does give you different show times depending on your meal time.

Tiffins Restaurant Dinner -ROL 2nd Viewing
6:10 PM Dinner for 5 Guests
Date: Saturday, April 22, 2017
Location: Disney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park, Discovery Island

So they can't release July and August until they know how many shows and for what times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter