Former Cast Members Take Back the Parks! (A June WDW Vacation TR): Updated 2/12

Ugh Casey's Corner! That gave me anxiety just reading it! We had a similar experience there a few weeks ago. My sister & I were walking with our trays trying to find a table. We'd approach one, and someone from somewhere would come swooping in a grab it. This happened several times. Finally we just stood in the middle of all the tables and waited for someone to get up. So ridiculous. I have palpitations re-telling it! Good tip for next time to go across the street. I'll remember that!

Loving your TR!

I like how you added the back store for the Jungle Cruise/Zanzibar Trading Company, its cool hearing little tidbits about different attractions.

I love, love, love all of the trivia you include! It's all so interesting!

The details are everywhere. And it's all interesting. There are hundreds of fun things to point out before you even get to the end of Main Street. Learning about the details and tributes is where my love for the parks originally stems from. I recommend googling "obscure Disney world facts and tributes" and reading the first 1,000 links.

I suppose the power strip doesn't really fit into the theming of the land ;)

Yea.. No bathrooms! But electricity? Yea we got that. They also seemed very out of place. Like something Disney forgot to hide. I believe they were where the registers were for the old gift shop. Oh sorry.. Ye Olde Shoppe.

Following along! Great trip report so far!

Thank you! Tell your friends.

Very much enjoying your report and all the trivia!

We're enjoying writing it. We love sharing our knowledge and experiences.

Ugh Casey's Corner! That gave me anxiety just reading it!

It's honestly so terrible. The place is just not fit to handle that sort of traffic. It's almost not worth it… Almost. Those corn dog nuggets are the cat's meow. However, our dedication to Casey's corn dog nuggets might not last with the removal of the self serve cheese pumps. If your eatery has unlimited self serve fake cheese, you have my business.

I like how you added the back store for the Jungle Cruise/Zanzibar Trading Company, its cool hearing little tidbits about different attractions.

I love the story telling. Adventureland is so well themed with stories around every corner. I look forward to the different tie ins with the new Skipper Cantina restaurant coming soon.

Filing away that spot for the FoF parade. Thanks for the tip!

Keep in mind that this spot seemed VERY temporary. It was an incredible spot and I hope it stays. But it felt… weird. Hopefully they keep it vacant and spruce it up.

Love seeing your guy's point of view! Love reading!! Dreaming of my day to be a Cast member!:earsgirl:

Our time as Cast Members was incredible. I loved every minute of it. There were bad days, but I would always find myself leaving the park (sometimes after 12-14 hour shifts wearing and orange polyester vest and knee high striped socks) smiling at the fact that I WORK IN DISNEY WORLD. The magic never got old.

I love the story telling. Adventureland is so well themed with stories around every corner. I look forward to the different tie ins with the new Skipper Cantina restaurant coming soon.

The backstories is one of the biggest draws to Disney for me! I probably won't be at WDW anytime soon but DLR will do the trick for me I'm sure.

I have been lurking since the beginning, and feeling guilty. So....I just wanted to let you know that this is a fabulous report! I love all your insider's tips and trivia, and yes, your sense of humor and obvious love for all things Disney (like the rest of us...). You are both doing a great job! :thumbsup2

I have been lurking since the beginning, and feeling guilty. So....I just wanted to let you know that this is a fabulous report! I love all your insider's tips and trivia, and yes, your sense of humor and obvious love for all things Disney (like the rest of us...). You are both doing a great job! :thumbsup2

Thank you so much! You are so kind! It made me giggle that you said "lurking since the beginning" and we aren't even to the end of our first park day! We write…a lot.

Hey everyone! Thank you so much for all of your sweet comments and encouragement!

Tonight we are going to finally finish off our first park day! Where we last left off, we were in the Magic Kingdom and we had just enjoyed watching Festival of Fantasy for the first time. We had picked up a Little Mermaid fastpass reservation for 2:45 to 3:45 and now that the parade had passed, we decided to head to New Fantasyland to use it. Cast Members refer to this area of the park as Fantasyland Forest and I really hope that name becomes used by all instead of “New Fantasyland.”

neanwh.jpg

2i76dj8.jpg

I remember being amazed by this park expansion when it first opened. My family visited just a few weeks after its official opening and I thought it was just an all around beautiful area to walk around. Scott and I worked stroller parking shifts in Fantasyland a handful of times and Little Mermaid was our preferred assignment. The exterior and queue is simply perfection, especially now that the food stand and DVC kiosk are opened and there are no walls. Funny story: So when Scott and I first met we had just moved to Orlando for the DCP and Scott had not been to see New Fantasyland yet. So one of the first times we hung out was to go to Magic Kingdom to visit New Fantasyland and do the attractions there and visit Gaston’s Tavern etc.

2qxs1nr.jpg

Well it was January and there were no lines anywhere, so as we were walking through the Little Mermaid queue, I don’t know WHY but I decided to step over one of those large sandstone formations that form the lines of the queue. I really don’t know what possessed me, because I would never normally do that. But as I was stepping over, I realized that I was wearing skinny jeans (it was January) and they did not stretch as far as I needed. So, I just kind of fell/plopped down right onto the sandstone queue wall. Yup. It hurt. But I guess making a fool of myself worked because Scott is still around, years later.

Anyways, back to riding Little Mermaid in 2015…

231mi9.jpg

121fl8o.jpg

167krcy.jpg

Do you guys have feelings about this ride? We sure do. It’s not a terrible ride. I like the cool breeze as you go under water, the music, and the queue, but it has its issues. 1) If you even tried to parse the story of the Little Mermaid from this ride alone and no prior knowledge, you would have no clue what was going on. 2) Fish Statues. Everything besides a handful of animatronics is statues. Like those birds holding back the greenery as you enter the “Kiss the Girl” scene…just statues. You guys! So..many…fish statues. 3) Ariel looks decidedly nervous in every scene.

jrz0yd.jpg

rvg7wp.jpg

2dp9hw.jpg

28089d5.jpg

2cf8jty.jpg

2u4skd2.jpg

"Oh no.. Don't sneeze… Hold it in, girl…"

nvpisk.jpg

OK WHY IS TRITON SO JACKED IN THIS LAST SCENE?!

The ride had undergone a refurbishment and the major change was that the “Under the Sea” scene was dark and utilizing Disney’s beloved black light paint. Also, they added more freakin' fish statues. Have you ever noticed that the walls in the “Under the Sea” scene are massive screens? There had to be a different original plan for those walls! So after the always interesting Little Mermaid ride, we headed into a much under appreciated land: Storybook Circus.

14a8utd.jpg

I realize this area only has “kiddie rides” but it is gorgeous! We love just walking around Storybook Circus and appreciating the details. I love when it’s around sunset but all of the lights in the area are on. We were after a sweet snack so we headed into Big Top Souvenirs.

281bm93.jpg

We love this shop! We wanted to try a Mickey Macaron. Though there were only a few people in front of us in line, I believe we waited around twenty minutes. That was because the man attempting to check out at the register did not know how his Disney Dining Plan worked, at all. He just had no clue. The only person with less of a clue was the woman ringing him up. Oh boy, it was a mess. I fought the urge to pipe up and try to get the altercation figured out, because well I don’t know anything about ringing up a snack on a meal plan. But we put in a lot of good hard work for that Macaron. I believe this snack costs $3.49. We had two options in flavor, lemon or orange. We chose lemon, which was lavender in color.

izb14i.jpg

We took our snack to the sitting area under the tent near the character meet and greet. If you haven’t checked this area out, it’s a really nice place for an in park break.

vngo5g.jpg

It's themed to be sort of the backstage break room/dressing room for the characters who are employed by the circus. The furniture is mismatched and seemingly out of place, just as a circus sideshow rest area should be. Madame Daisy Fortuna's crystal ball even makes an appearance.

33nu3hf.jpg

There are outlets available to charge and many different groups of chairs to sit in. In fact, there was a woman laid out completely asleep in that area. We enjoyed our macaron. We split it and it was very sweet, definitely a good thing to split.

While exploring the Storybook Circus area, check out the Casey Jr. Splash 'n' Soak Station. Be sure to stay a good 50 feet away because this splash zone spews water unlike any other splash zone I've ever seen. However, if you can get close enough, take note of the numbers on each of the train cars. 71, 82, 89, and 98. The opening years of MK, Epcot, DHS, and DAK respectively.

After finishing our snack we headed to get on the railroad from the Storybook Circus stop.

vghhxh.jpg

o6i5uq.jpg

We had to wait a bit, but the line moved the entire time. Something interesting happened once we were on the train. When we were seated, I was looking over at the queue area. Along the gate, something scary happened. A boy was playing with a gate in the queue that had a clasp on it to open and close. Well, he opened the gate and once he did, a woman who (might have been his mother) watched him open the gate, grabbed her children, and started pushing through the gate right when the train was about to take off. A cast member came running, but that could have been a bad situation. Who thinks that a kid opening a gate is an invitation onto an attraction?!

I love the Magic Kingdom railroad! There’s a nice breeze, a story, and you can stay on as long as you please.

154daux.jpg

We got off the railroad back in Storybook Circus and decided to head to Mickey’s Philharmagic. This show is always a good one to catch in the afternoon when rides are packed.

20kzpyt.jpg

10qwg3m.jpg

After Philharmagic, we went to visit another “people eater” attraction, Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor.

o07wpu.jpg

If you want to be a part of the show, sit along the main aisle. We’ve never had speaking parts but Scott has been picked multiple times to be the guy who “has the sudden urge to get up and dance.” What is it about him that looks so danceable?! We also participated in the bit where we made facial expressions for the monsters to imitate once. Scott fake offered me a ring that turned out to be a slug. Good times.

When we exited the show, the sky was a million shades of terrible Florida storm. It looked downright scary, even by the standards of people who used to live there. Our plan from that morning was to parkhop over to Hollywood Studios to catch Fantasmic! during evening extra magic hours. Well, we were exhausted from a long day starting at rope drop and the storm made us think that Fantasmic! wouldn’t happen that night. So, we decided to head back to Pop Century. Once we were just about to get to our bus stop, the skies opened up. We waited a little while for a bus and then headed to our room to relax and see how the storm turned out.

Well, when it was still lightning and pouring at 8pm, we knew we’d rather just hang at Pop. We had a whole day at Hollywood Studios planned for later in our trip and we had accomplished so much that day. We had a ton of fun just talking and catching up in our room anyway.

We went to Everything Pop for dinner that night, where we each got something from a different station. I went Asian with the sesame chicken with rice and broccoli. My food was good but I got it first and I waited a little while for the others to bring their food over before I ate. So, it was kind of cold. I should’ve microwaved it in the food court microwave but I didn’t. It tasted good and I would get it again.

9vbom9.jpg

Scott got a brisket sandwich. I just asked Scott what he thought and he said it was “forgettable.” Meaning, it was fine but nothing memorable.

30t5e0z.jpg

After dinner, we checked out the hotel gift shop where Scott and Chrissy had some fun playing dress up. Why we saw nobody else wearing these stuffed animal scarves or the adult sized Sulley tail is beyond me.

2qtb9c3.jpg

28bxqv4.jpg

2nlv790.jpg

After the gift shop exploration, we headed back to our room to rest up for morning EMH at Epcot the next day!

Thank you so much for reading! We’ll see ya real soon!

So if you could do it all again, Would you change your role or would you keep the one you had?

It's funny because going in to interviewing for the DCP, I was thinking I wanted to work at Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique. Once I was on my phone interview, my interviewer said that I had a great tone of voice and asked if I would be interested in working at the Jungle Cruise. I, of course, said yes. After that moment, working at the Jungle Cruise was on my mind. It was a great experience. Yes, you have to deal with a lot of angry guests and for things completely out of your control, especially when you work an outdoor attraction. But, I have honestly no fear of public speaking (or talking to angry people) left in me, which for my profession of teaching is ideal. Attractions was definitely the right role for me, if I ever found myself working at Disney again, I would go attractions again. You get an opportunity to bond with your fellow cast that's truly special because you see the same faces day in and day out. In some other roles, cast members are much more spread out and don't have the same opportunity to bond.

Once again, you guys don't disappoint with these great cast member insights! I loved reading about the Jungle Cruise back story and the Haunted Mansion Attic Room with Bird Cages and Plates. I always thought the bride's wedding dresses looked more elaborate and expensive each time the buggie progressed further into the room...next time I'll be looking for those Bird Cages! :)

I am with ya on the Little Mermaid ride. It's a little strange. A fun diversion, but not at the top of my list. The sight of that macaron hurts my teeth. They are way too sweet for me. And WHY would they make the LEMON one PURPLE?!?! Ask me, it should be yellow, but I'm sure they have some reason for picking purple. :confused3

following along. I thought I was an advance Disney planner- someone who knew most but I actually picked up a few things. Thanks. So excited to read more.

So if you could do it all again, Would you change your role or would you keep the one you had?

I got to work at one of the most beloved Disney attractions of all time. An attraction that spawned probably the most successful Disney franchise of all time. I was not only allowed, but ENCOURAGED to carry a plastic sword around at work and fight with children. Pirates is one of the most, if not the most, efficient attractions in the Magic Kingdom. We saw more guests per day than any attraction. So of course this meant that we dealt with people who were.. less than pleasant. People who seemingly had a personal vendetta against any and all Disney cast members. I sweat my life away parking strollers, and I walked around in thigh-high water wearing leaky waders at least once a week when the attraction broke down and we had to evacuate. It was scary, infuriating, and exhausting at times, but I wouldn't change it for anything. For every intolerable guest, there were 100 guests who were an absolute dream to interact with. Even if I was just trying my hardest to cram 26 people into a tiny boat, I was having a blast doing it. Attractions was amazing, and the Pirate ride will forever hold a special place in my heart. I would choose it again every time.

I always thought the bride's wedding dresses looked more elaborate and expensive each time the buggie progressed further into the room.

She also gains another pearl necklace in each portrait.

I am with ya on the Little Mermaid ride. It's a little strange. A fun diversion, but not at the top of my list. The sight of that macaron hurts my teeth. They are way too sweet for me. And WHY would they make the LEMON one PURPLE?!?! Ask me, it should be yellow, but I'm sure they have some reason for picking purple. :confused3

I just feel like there was a serious lack of effort. And the ride is right next door to (in my opinion) the most underrated attraction in the Magic Kingdom.. Enchanted Tales with Belle. ETwB has the COOLEST SPECIAL EFFECTS. That mirror trick and the animatronics are incredibly impressive. And then Ariel is just… meh. Weak effects. Weak story. But hey the line is never long and the queue is amazing. I DON'T KNOW WHY IT WAS PURPLE BUT DON'T THINK IT DIDN'T BOTHER ME TOO! I'm pretty sure the other flavor was a wackjob color as well. But hey.. It's a circus. Who can blame them for being zany?

I thought I was an advance Disney planner- someone who knew most but I actually picked up a few things.

One thing I will always be certain of is that there will forever be something new to learn. Things change so often there!

Love your report, thanks for taking the time to post all the hidden details, it will make our next visit to MK even more enjoyable...especially when I ring that bell:duck:

HEY EVERYBODY. Sorry about the lack of update this weekend. Alli and I decided to take an EXTREMELY last minute trip to the west coast to celebrate Disneyland's 60th. We'll elaborate more in our next update, which will hopefully be coming soon.

It's funny because going in to interviewing for the DCP, I was thinking I wanted to work at Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique. Once I was on my phone interview, my interviewer said that I had a great tone of voice and asked if I would be interested in working at the Jungle Cruise. I, of course, said yes. After that moment, working at the Jungle Cruise was on my mind. It was a great experience. Yes, you have to deal with a lot of angry guests and for things completely out of your control, especially when you work an outdoor attraction. But, I have honestly no fear of public speaking (or talking to angry people) left in me, which for my profession of teaching is ideal. Attractions was definitely the right role for me, if I ever found myself working at Disney again, I would go attractions again. You get an opportunity to bond with your fellow cast that's truly special because you see the same faces day in and day out. In some other roles, cast members are much more spread out and don't have the same opportunity to bond.

That's awesome I am definitely considering working in attractions!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter