Former Cast Members Take Back the Parks! (A June WDW Vacation TR): Updated 2/12

Hi,

So glad you two are continuing with the trip report as its a great one! I remember reading it before our trip this August.

Where do you get the cream cheese stuffed pretzel snack? I've heard about them but never had one.

Can't wait to read the next installment of your fabulous trip!

~ Marina

Where do you get the cream cheese stuffed pretzel snack? I've heard about them but never had one.

I know for sure that we've gotten them from the Lunching Pad in Tomorrowland, and there's a snack cart near the exit to the Great Movie Ride that sells them. We've gotten them in Animal Kingdom, but I can't recall where from. There's probably somewhere that sells them in each park. We go back and forth between the cream cheese pretzel and the jalapeño cheese stuffed pretzel. They're both sooooo tasty.

I've just binge-read this thread, and it has been so interesting! Even though I'm a pretty big WDW fan, there was still so much that I learned here. I've been considering doing the DCP, and, based on your experiences, it sounds like such a great opportunity

When we last left off, Alli, Chrissy, and myself (Scott) were headed to catch the 5:30 showing of the Beauty and the Beast stage show. We arrived a few minutes before the show started, so the theater was quite full. We decided to sit directly behind the control booth. I wouldn’t recommend these seats. If the show is a priority, get there a bit earlier than we did and find seats closer to the stage. The control booth was fairly distracting and I had to crane my neck to see.

i3tkdc.jpg

ohvae8.jpg

Ok, guys…this show needs work, or it just honestly needs to be replaced. I saw the show in 1997 and I’m pretty sure it’s the exact same show. Actually, I have a pretty funny memory about the show from when we saw it for the first time almost 20 years ago (SPOILERS!). So at the end of the show when the Beast is stabbed by Gaston, he’s bleeding out and dying in Belle’s arms. Everyone in the crowd is silent. My older cousin (he was probably 8 at the time) very loudly says “WHY ARE THEY ALL SMILING?!” referring to the costumed characters. You know what? He had a point! Why WERE they all smiling?! Their master is dying and they’re all looking on with big, frozen grins. Jerks.

Alli here: I would absolutely love it if they put in Mickey and the Magical Map or the troubadour shows from the Royal Theater (both from Disneyland) into the Theater of the Stars in Hollywood Studios! Sure, work to the theater would be necessary, but now that Enchanted Tales With Belle exists, let’s let a different story shine!

After the show, we had basically done everything we wanted to do that day. We had a Fastpass for TSMM burning a hole in our pocket (Magic band?), but we couldn’t use it for another hour. So we decided to walk around and hunt for pins.

1exhn4.jpg

sqnuip.jpg

bgxo9v.jpg

We had a good pin score earlier in the day. We’ve always loved the Cast Member Costume pins. At some point in the past, we came across a Pirates of the Caribbean Costume pin. After wearing this costume for an entire year, I obviously couldn’t let this pin go. While exploring the Streets of America, we spotted a cast member with the Jungle Cruise costume pin!! So we had to snag that.

o7n5ut.jpg

I had always wanted the Jungle Cruise costume pin, and we had never run across it in the parks. I was so excited that Scott found the pin for me!

Because Adventureland/Liberty Square is so special to us, we’re constantly on the lookout for Ad/Lib pins. Anything related to PotC, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, etc… During this trip, I accidentally started collecting pins from a specific pin set from Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End. The pins appear to be very rustic and piratey, and they each have Chinese characters sprawled across them. While exploring the gift shop across from Studio Catering Co., I scored another pin from the set.

r1zp5f.jpg

It says “Captain” and the Chinese characters (I think) translate to “Jack Sparrow”.

After exploring all 15 square feet of Hollywood Studios, we still had probably 30 minutes until our Fastpasses rolled around. So we did what anyone who had spent all day in the Florida sunshine would do. We found a bench in the shade near Min and Bills Dockside Diner and people watched. This is a seriously underrated Disney park activity. If you just sit down and watch, you will see some highly entertaining things. I like to play “Find the miserable parent berating their child FAR too loudly.” It’s not a hard game and it always provides laughs.

After living within twenty minutes of the parks for a year, we never felt less inclined to visit the parks on any free day. However, we would feel less of a need to experience a bunch of attractions every single time we were at a park. We began to really enjoy visiting the parks for a day, even if we only did a couple attractions. Sitting on a well-positioned bench is one of our favorite things!

It was time to hit up TSMM again. Now, let me preface what I’m about to say by saying that we’ve probably ridden this ride 40+ times over the years. Never has Alli EVER scored higher than me. Guys… I don’t know what was going on, but somehow Alli came out victorious. I didn’t know how to react. She practically did cartwheels out of the building, while I was following closely behind her throwing out phrases like “My gun wasn’t calibrated properly!” and “Well, I wasn’t REALLY trying.”

*******SCOTT’S TSMM TIPS AND TRICKS!!!*******

Time to reveal my secrets for getting high scores. Just kidding, they aren’t my secrets. I’ve gotten all of these from the internet. A few of these require pretty sharp shooting skills and teamwork, so practice may be necessary.

Scene 1: The Farm

I try to go for the fox on top of the hen house. If you take him out, hens run out of the house before the fox reappears. Go back and forth between shooting the fox, the hens, and the cats behind the fox. All are high value targets.

Scene 2: Dinosaurs

Pop the lava balloons snaking out of the volcano. Eventually, the volcano will erupt, spraying high value balloons everywhere. After that, aim for the asteroids to the left and right of the volcano. If you eliminate both asteroids, larger asteroids will begin to fall, again spraying high value balloons everywhere.

Scene 3: Alien ring toss

This one is especially hard. If you ring the aliens in the rocket, they’ll go down. If you get all of the aliens down at the same time, the rocket will “blast off” and a robot will be revealed. Shoot rings into the robot’s mouth for VERY high point values.

Scene 4: Army men plate breaking.

On the left and right side of the mountain, plates worth 2,000 points will shoot into the air at the same time. Both you and your partner have to break the plates at the same time. If you succeed, a tank will appear and begin to shoot plates at you worth 10,000 points a piece.

Scene 5: Western target shooting

This one is hard to explain. If you shoot a target, more targets will fan out from that target. So start by shooting all of the original targets. Then shoot all of the “fanned out targets”. If you’re successful, all of the targets will be replaced by 1,000 and 2,000 point targets. It’s easy to get lost on this one. Once you shoot all of the “fanned” targets, the original target for that section will reappear. You don’t need to shoot that target again in order to trigger the secret targets! So pay attention to the targets you’ve already taken care of.

I was so excited to finally beat Scott at TSMM! I truly love the attraction. So much so that for my birthday one year, Scott and I went to Hollywood Studios and rode TSMM four times in a row. Sure, I’ve beaten plenty of people on the ride, but those weren’t people who had been able to play the game as often as I had! Therefore, beating someone who has only played the game a few times isn’t really a fair fight! I have to say though, I never could’ve scored so highly if Scott hadn’t shared all of his tips and tricks with me. Plus, a lot of those tricks take two people to complete so thanks for the assist Scott!

We still had time to set up another FP+ and with nearly everything being taken, we decided to see what the Fantasmic! FP+ was all about. More on that in a minute.

Alli worked up an appetite with all of her victory dancing, and I needed to drown my sorrows in carbs, melted cheese, and grease. Pizza Planet was in our sights.

I feel like the Pizza Planet In DHS was a swing and a miss as far as décor is concerned. The PP in the first Toy Story was so cool! All they had to do was recreate it! But no…they figured just suspending the Green Aliens from the roof and painting a mural on the wall of a literal planet made of pizza would suffice. However, the food is good and the arcade is fun. What else do little kids really care about?

I went with the meat lovers’ pizza and Alli decided on a classic cheese pizza, both are served with a Caesar salad.

256rdkw.jpg

34oc5ue.jpg

Everything tasted fine, not spectacular, but we always enjoy Pizza Planet. Be careful when moving those chairs around on the 2nd floor. They appear heavier than they are. Apparently, they’re made of solidified helium because they’re the lightest metal chairs I’ve ever encountered. I always overestimate the weight and I’m pretty sure I almost took out a toddler while pulling a chair out from under the table one time. You know how on TV shows when a super hero opens a door and accidentally rips it off the hinges? It’s one of those situations.

It was about 8:30 when we arrived at the gates to Fantasmic! This show holds a special place in our hearts. During our year working in Disney, the Jungle Cruise went down for refurbishment. Because there were full time and part time employees working at the Jungle Cruise who were required to be given hours, a lot of them were trained at Pirates in order for them to be able to pick up shifts. Basically, Alli and Chrissy couldn’t get shifts because their ride was closed and I couldn’t get shifts because the Skippers took over the Caribbean. So what’s a struggling Cast Member to do? Pick up as many Fantasmic! shifts as possible.

2jfn4o1.jpg

Fantasmic! shifts were always available to any cast member who needed them. They required a lot of people to run the show. So we’d always try to pick up Fantasmic! shifts together. We eventually memorized the show, songs, and Mickey’s dance moves.

So about this Fantasmic! Fastpass. I was under the impression that no matter when we showed up, there would be a section near the center of the theater reserved for us. This was not the case. A Fantasmic! FP does not allow you guaranteed seating, but rather it allows you to enter the theater roughly 15 minutes before the rest of the crowd. So if you miss that 15 minute window, the FP basically becomes useless (our bad). When we arrived, the theater was nearly full! As we passed section after section, I began to become nervous that we wouldn’t be able to find seats. Luckily we found seats in the Beast section allllllll the way to the left of the amphitheater.

1rar7k.jpg

You would think we would know how the Fastpass seating worked, being that we worked at Fantasmic around 5-10 times, but you’d be wrong. We were always either assigned to be at the top of the farthest out aisles, guarding ropes in the queue before the shows, parking strollers, or our favorite position: working the Fastpass+ kiosks. So yes, we scanned people’s bands and granted them access to the show, we just didn’t see where/how they were seated.

The show was great regardless. Our seating placement ended up not being a problem at all. If you’re a fan of the WDW Fant! Show and you ever get a chance to see the Disneyland show, DO IT. We prefer the DL show to the one in DHS. First of all, instead of a Pocahontas section, they have a Peter Pan section that is FAR superior. And their Maleficent dragon is actually a dragon and not a crane with sparkly sheets draped over it. We just found it to be more enjoyable overall.

4h9oba.jpg

15fnj3m.jpg

2psoz0m.jpg

cq26w.jpg

34hj8dz.jpg

x5xloi.jpg

If you want to see something funny, sit as far to the left as you can, fairly close to the front. When the steamboat makes its way backstage, all of the characters aboard take shelter. The finale is coming and, therefore, the boat is about to have firework fallout rain down on it. Because Ariel doesn’t have her human legs, she can’t exactly run and hide, so what do they do? They just toss a blanket over her! It’s quite the sight.

I hope that doesn’t cause poor Ariel any distress, I imagine being covered in a blanket the size of a net might be particularly terrifying for our favorite Princess of the sea.

After the show, we had about 20 minutes before the park closed. We decided to hit ToT one last time before checking out the ToT gift shop.

2wcqps6.jpg

We may have taken multiple breaks throughout the day, but this day was one of the only times I can personally remember spending an ENTIRE day in a Disney park. We arrived at rope drop and left after the park had closed. We knew this was our only day at DHS and we conquered it like the champions that we are. We felt extremely proud and extremely pooped. We knew the next day would be our last and our longest, so our only option was to head back to the hotel and catch some Z’s.

Next time: Disco Yeti, the perfect breakfast spot, and Alli’s conscience almost preventing us from snagging the perfect seats for the Nemo musical.

Last edited:

I've just binge-read this thread, and it has been so interesting! Even though I'm a pretty big WDW fan, there was still so much that I learned here. I've been considering doing the DCP, and, based on your experiences, it sounds like such a great opportunity

It honestly was the greatest thing we've ever done. Alli and I wouldn't have met if not for the program. We made magic for guests every day. Other cast members were really negative a lot of the time and cried about being overworked and underpaid, but they can stuff it. I had a blast every day at work. It was incredible. Best year of my life.

I started reading last night and just got to the end of your DHS day. I'm really enjoying all of the details. I don't have a timeline for when our next trip will be but now I just want to ditch my responsible adult life and go tomorrow.

Looking forward to your next update. AK was my least favorite park so I'm hoping to gain a new perspective on it through your eyes.

I started reading last night and just got to the end of your DHS day. I'm really enjoying all of the details. I don't have a timeline for when our next trip will be but now I just want to ditch my responsible adult life and go tomorrow.

Looking forward to your next update. AK was my least favorite park so I'm hoping to gain a new perspective on it through your eyes.

Thanks for reading! Adult life is hard to focus on when there are Disney parks to be explored!! I feel ya.

AK, at one point, was my least favorite park. After visiting numerous, NUMEROUS times, I've gained a huge appreciation for all of the details and authenticity. It's a gorgeous park.

Well ladies and gents, here it is. We’ve officially arrived at the beginning of the last day of our trip. We only had one park left to conquer: Disney’s Animal Kingdom. DAK often gets a bad rap. People claim that it’s a boring park, not much to do, etc. We completely disagree. Not only is this parked packed with some of the best rides and shows Disney has to offer, but the theming and detail are so spot on that I think we saw a scumbag dentist hunting lions on the safari during our visit (Ok no we didn’t).

My (Alli's) comments will be in italics per the usual. I cringe when I hear people call Animal Kingdom a "half day park." How? I guess if you're not interested in animals it could be, but even if you're just a little interested, there are so many spots I like to just sit and observe. Plus, the habitats are so well maintained and themed, that you can put a bit of that "animals in captivity" guilt to the side.

Anyway, we love this park mainly because of its rich theming and insane detail, so hopefully we can help all of you Animal Kingdom naysayers to better appreciate it!

You forgot to mention THE DELICIOUS FOOD! Seriously...best counter service options. Ok, I need to draw up a comparison chart to judge if they're really the BEST but they are incredibly enjoyable!

Plan for the day:

Kilimanjaro Safari FP+: 9:30-10:30

Expedition Everest FP+: 11:30-12:30

Dinosaur FP+: 1:45-2:45

The park opened at 9:00 and we arrived at the gates promptly at 8:55.

i425q0.jpg

The entrance trails to Discovery Island often smell like manure. Especially on hot, humid Florida days. However, I love crossing the bridge into the main plaza and finally getting to see the beautiful Tree of Life…

144b3b.jpg

…errrrrr what? Really, Disney? It’s park opening and you have a cumbersome eyesore of a crane preventing anyone from getting any sort of decent picture with the park’s icon. Shame. And the construction wall hallway doesn’t help either, but that part is a little more understandable.

Whatever. We knew going into this day that DAK was undergoing massive construction, so this was a little less than unexpected. Walls and crane aside, this park is still gorgeous.

I think now that the Starbucks is opened and a couple of the restaurants are finished being refurbished there are a few less walls. I was a bit disappointed when I realized that the huge crane that totally took away the majesty of our entrance was moved when we walked back by the tree later. I wish it would’ve been moved from the get go!

54tc8.jpg

2s0i6vs.jpg

2rnxvkz.jpg

We made a beeline for Expedition Everest.

2r2u928.jpg

slp74p.jpg

This is one of our absolute favorite attractions, and by far our favorite queue. The line is never too long, and the wait is a pleasant one. The story goes that Himalayan Escapes: Tours and Expeditions, a travel company, has set up shop amongst an old Nepalese village. In addition to offering tours to guests, they’ve also set up a museum dedicated to the myth of the mountain, the fearsome Yeti. But there is nothing to fear, because those Yeti stories are just stories, right?

24pjt4m.jpg

Fun fact: Mount Everest is actually the smaller peak just to the right of the main peak. The main peak, the Forbidden Mountain, is actually where the Yeti is said to reside. The idea was that the Everest peak, through forced perspective, is supposed to appear farther away, which is why it appears to be smaller than the main peak.

Notice the stacks of wood atop the buildings. Firewood is hard to come by in the snowy mountains. Having firewood stacked on your roof is a sign of wealth. The more wood, the more wealth!

Take time to appreciate the details in this queue. I sometimes forget that I’m still in a theme park in Florida.

I know someone out there is going to shake their fist at me, but I love ringing the bells in the queue. The sound is just so crisp and beautiful. I actually love it when I hear my bell ringing start many other bell ringers as well. The sound of the bell really takes me to a temple in the Himalayas!

28qxel2.jpg

2eqamtj.jpg

2edm80n.jpg

34fftiw.jpg

wryqdj.jpg

When I first rode this attraction, the Yeti DID move, I DID see it, and it WAS incredibly impressive. Too impressive, apparently. Rumor is that the Yeti’s MASSIVE range of motion was too much for the infrastructure to handle, and the ride foundation began to crack. It’s such a shame that now they just hit it with a strobe light and a giant fan like we’re at some Himalayan mountain rave. Nonetheless, Everest is still a must-do. However, something needs to be said about the hair ties at the ride’s peak. When we lived and worked at Disney, there were maybe 10-20 hair ties atop the mountain. When we visited on this trip, there were PILES of hair ties. It’s gross and tacky and sad. So two things need to happen: 1) Everyone tell your friends and your friend’s friends to STOP SHOOTING HAIR TIES. 2) Disney, please send an employee up there with a broom and a trash bag. This is something that has to be handled. You can stock every Claire’s in the state with the amount of hair ties atop Expedition Everest.

15fssjd.jpg

"If you want something done, I guess you gotta do it yourself"

If you’re leaving Asia and heading towards Africa, there’s a great spot on the left hand side of the path that offers wonderful shots of the Tree of Life. Because our shot this morning was craned-out, we took this opportunity to get some quick pictures.

w7lo92.jpg

2w7qudw.jpg

By now, it was about time for our Safari FP.

30cahjo.jpg

5wxtsn.jpg

2ivl16g.jpg

When you participate in the Disney College Program, you find out what “role” you have been assigned, but you don’t find out the specifics of your placement until check in day. You go to casting to go through a bunch of lines and paperwork. The first place you find out your placement is on the back of your CP Program Guide (at least, it was at the time). My program said Ad/Lib Attractions in the Magic Kingdom, which was incredibly exciting. Although, when I went to casting, there was an issue because no one could find my file with my contract etc. to sign. They dug around for a long time and then told me it was in the DAK stack. Hmm..curious. We flipped through the paperwork and found that I was originally assigned to work Kilimanjaro Safaris and someone had gone through and crossed that out everywhere and written in Ad/Lib. At the time, I was pretty torn because I didn’t know WHICH attraction in Ad/Lib I would be working at (you find that out on your orientation day at the park). So, in my mind, I didn’t know how to feel! I mean, Kilimanjaro Safaris was actually the attraction I kept thinking would be the most lifechanging to work at. When I later found out that I was placed at the Jungle Cruise (which was obviously insanely exciting) I had a good laugh that I had been moved from the real animals to the “really wild” animals.

Kilimanjaro Safari is probably Disney’s most unique attraction, being that it is the only attraction that can offer different experiences every time you ride. Yes we all know that “this is your favorite view of the savannah”...

21abzuv.jpg

and we know that the driver is going to tune in to their “favorite radio station” when we’re driving by the elephants...

dph5eg.jpg

and don’t get me started on that rickety bridge that they insist on driving over. However, on this go around, we saw something incredibly rare..

2hxslza.jpg

A LION. The lions are usually snoozing within their rocky hideaway, but this morning, a gorgeous lioness was basically posing for us. She was too busy eyeballing the delicious baby rhino across the way to notice the large convey of safari jeeps passing close by. Notice the male lion sleeping atop the rock in the background. Like I said… Always snoozing.

How cool is it that we saw a mom and a baby rhino?! It was really funny when everyone followed the eye line of the lion and realized she was staring at the rhino incredibly intently. I think I saw her thumbing through the pages of a Safari Recipe Book.

We then decided to hit up the Pangani Forest Exploration Trail. We heard that a baby gorilla had been born recently and we had to see it.

2mnk4rp.jpg

11glxe9.jpg

LOOK AT IT. He was a bit sleepy, but still adorable.

2d7aln8.jpg

“If a gorilla is making eye contact with you, that means that he’s about to charge” – tour guide literally minutes before I took this photo.

There was another new addition of the park that we were crazily excited about checking out: Harambe Market! We decided to take advantage of the early hours and check it out before it opened in order to avoid the crowds (this ended up not even being a problem. More on that later).

pbrkl.jpg

2q9jhiv.jpg

Aparently "Fichwa" is Swahili for "Hidden", so this is literally a hidden Mickey.

294l1s4.jpg

Once again, the theming of this park is killer, and the new market was no exception. Gorgeous details everywhere. This fake market felt like a real market! I especially love how you can watch the train to Rafiki’s Planet Watch pass by.

My favorite aspect of the details that decorate DAK would have to be the signage and the posters.

2s85uzk.jpg

There are realistic posters advertising different DAK attractions, such as the Festival of the Lion King and the Safari, as well as DAK food offerings, like the new curry sausage corndogs. However, one that stands out to me is the JORODI poster that can be seen all over Harambe.

11vlgds.jpg

It’s a tip-of-the-hat reference to Joe Rohde, the Imagineer who is basically responsible for all of Animal Kingdom.

If you have any interest in Art History you should definitely follow Joe Rohde on Instagram. He also posts tidbits about DAK and Disney in general occasionally. I LOVE Joe Rohde and by all accounts he is an extremely kind and friendly man if you ever see him in the parks!

It was time for breakfast and because we were already in Harambe, we decided to see what Kusafiri had to offer. If you don’t know what Kusafiri is, don’t feel bad. Neither did I. It’s a small counter service window on the left side of Harambe near the Safari. Alli knew that they served pastries, so we figured we could find something breakfasty to eat. Chrissy decided on a Mickey cinnamon roll that was the size of an antelope, and Alli and I decided to split the breakfast wrap, which was stuffed with eggs, sausage, spinach, and goat cheese.

2cql106.jpg

Our mission now was to find somewhere comfortable to sit, and boy did we score on that one. We ventured across the street back towards the front of Harambe to the Tamu Tamu seating area. It was shaded, breezy, and very vacant. It was the PERFECT place to relax and eat our breakfast.

mb042b.jpg

I would definitely recommend this spot to anyone looking to find a nice place to sit and relax on a hot Animal Kingdom day.

The wrap was a small amount of food for two people to split, but Alli requires very little food and Chrissy’s colossal cinnamon roll was enough food to feed a small village, so we were stuffed.

We needed to walk off that child-sized cinnamon roll (it was literally the size of a small child) so we were off to check out our 2nd walking trail of the morning, the Maharaja Jungle Trek.

2vkjo8j.jpg

“What?? Two walking trails and it isn’t even lunch time?! You people are crazy!!” No we are not. First of all, I have to say that guests often skip these walking trails. Don’t be those guests. Both of the walking trails, Pangani and Maharaja, offer up gorgeous scenery and great animal exhibits. Secondly, it’s smart to hit these trails early. The animals are more active, the weather is cooler, and the trails are less crowded.

11tvgyc.jpg

ih1h7b.jpg

Of the two trails, we personally prefer Maharaja, and it isn’t because of the tigers (even though I do love the tigers). Today, however, the tigers were nowhere to be found. But that was ok, because we were there for… the bats!

2usiy9s.jpg

WE. LOVE. THE. BATS. They aren’t the creepy, pig-nosed vampire bats. These fruit bats are honestly extremely cute. Judge me. I can watch them all day.

It was now 11:30 and time for our Expedition Everest FP.

21o0hlu.jpg

2ihmsef.jpg

After our 2nd run in with the Yeti, we had just enough time to run next door to the Theater in the Wild and catch the 12:00 showing of Finding Nemo: The Musical. We assumed that the theater would be nearly full and we’d get crappy seats. We were both very right and very wrong. The theater WAS very full, but the front two rows were left completely open!! Chrissy and I were all for sitting up front, but Alli was hesitant. It was odd that these rows were left empty, and it seemed as though maybe they were reserved for someone, but upon investigation we found out that they weren’t reserved! It just seemed that nobody wanted to sit there, so we took our seats up front and it was an amazing decision.

ddls3o.jpg

2rr8il4.jpg

2l94by8.jpg

2rzx7d0.jpg

2ihoxg9.jpg

ip77e1.jpg

We could see each and every expression on the characters’ faces. The seats were amazing. We love this show. It’s fun, the songs are super catchy, and the puppetry is impressive. Also, it’s a nice break from the Animal Kingdom sun.

Thanks for reading our weekly-ish update! Next time: a story about chicken nugget bargaining, condiment-powered time travel, and our real review of Harambe Market.

From this point forward, I will forever refer to EE as the "Himalayan Mountain Rave!" LOL :)

The AK Safari is one of our favorite rides / experiences too. This past summer, there was a major safari traffic jam as two baby elephants were playing with each other in the water bed. Absolutely the most adorable thing we've ever seen there.

Thank you for the extremely helpful TSMM tips! Hehehe. I have beat my DH maybe once in the past but I now know surefire ways to beat him every time!!

I love all the pictures!

I agree that Fantasmic! in Disneyland is superior. I loved it there.

I have to check out Harambe Market! I definitely don't give AK the amount of time it deserves.

And that's really funny about the hair ties on EE. I don't ride EE but I'll let my DH know to pay attention on the ride!

Thanks for all the tidbits and useful information!

From this point forward, I will forever refer to EE as the "Himalayan Mountain Rave!" LOL :)

The AK Safari is one of our favorite rides / experiences too. This past summer, there was a major safari traffic jam as two baby elephants were playing with each other in the water bed. Absolutely the most adorable thing we've ever seen there.

Please tell everyone to refer to EE as that. We're gonna make that name a thing.

If you love the Safari, I'd recommend the Wild Africa Trek. I did it a few years ago with my family and we got to sit and watch the baby elephants play in the mud for probably 30 minutes. Also, the lunch they provide is probably the most interesting/exciting meal I've ever had at Disney.

Thank you for the extremely helpful TSMM tips! Hehehe. I have beat my DH maybe once in the past but I now know surefire ways to beat him every time!!

I love all the pictures!

I agree that Fantasmic! in Disneyland is superior. I loved it there.

I have to check out Harambe Market! I definitely don't give AK the amount of time it deserves.

And that's really funny about the hair ties on EE. I don't ride EE but I'll let my DH know to pay attention on the ride!

Keep in mind that a few of those tips require teamwork! Actually, most of them do. The key is working together to unlock the secrets and then crushing your opponent with pure skill.

Compliments on the pictures make me happier than anything else.

Fantasmic is DL was SOOO much better. A far less stressful experience, as well as just a better show straight up.

Harambe Market was gorgeous. I'll talk about the food we had in our next update. It was an interesting time.

And the hair ties.. They're impossible to miss. THEY'RE EVERYWHERE UP THERE. Unless the Sherpas finally decided to clean up.

After the Nemo musical, we had a hankerin’ for some Asian cuisine. Chrissy’s all time favorite quick service restaurant in all of Walt Disney World is Yak and Yeti, so we promised her we’d have at least one meal there during our trip. The food is pretty good, and they give you a very sizable portion for your money. Alli and I decided to split a pork egg roll and an order of chicken fried rice.

n6cgt1.jpg

Each was less than $4.00 and we walked away stuffed.

The only downside of this quick service location is the seating. The seating area for this restaurant is massive, and yet it always seems to be completely full. Once while eating there in the past, we had to share a table with another family visiting with their toddler daughter. Her name was Taylor and lemme tell ya… This girl had her parents WHIPPED. Her parents had gotten her an order of chicken nuggets with a side of apple slices, but Taylor was NOT about those options. She wanted her pretzels and only her pretzels. And so began the most mind boggling back and forth bargaining war between Taylor and her parents. “Ok Taylor.. If you eat TWO chicken nuggets and ONE apple, you can have THREE pretzels… Ok how about if you only eat ONE nugget and TWO apple slices, then you can have some pretzels. How about that? No? Work with us here, Taylor…” This battle raged on for quite some time and, to this day, I don’t know that Taylor has ever eaten another chicken nugget.

Have I mentioned that I absolutely love the Animal Kingdom signage? It seems so natural and authentic. Here you can see advertisements for Everest, Maharajah, and Kali River Rapids.

2vigsuu.jpg

One of our other favorite hidden gems is the tiny indoor/outdoor market next to the Yak and Yeti seating area.
23vxcoh.jpg

We’ve spent a lot of time in this tiny store. They sell a lot of interesting Asian tchotchkes, and the items inside are usually fairly cheap. Not to mention more cool signs...
24b6d02.jpg

33onvrd.jpg

Check it out next time you’re in Anandapur.

It was nearly time for our Dinosaur FP, so we decided to head in that direction and explore Chester and Hester’s Dino-Rama for a minute or two.

dyvfuo.jpg

Now, I know what you’re all thinking. This area is a gross eyesore in an otherwise beautiful park, but Alli and I both love it for what it is. The story goes that married couple Chester and Hester owned a run-down gas station along Route 498 (April 1998 is when Animal Kingdom first opened).

2ew38gi.jpg

One day while digging, they stumbled upon some dinosaur bones. This prompted all sorts of tourists to flock to the area. So Chester and Hester, dollar signs in their eyes, decided to build a small carnival area in order to give the tourists somewhere to throw their money away. They also decided to convert their filling station into a gift shop/museum.

142ekck.jpg

Before long, the scientists of the Dino Institute caught wind of the discoveries, and set up shop next door.

33z49hj.jpg

We realize that this area looks cheap and carnival-like, and that’s because it’s suppose to! It’s supposed to be a cheap carnival that was set up in a parking lot, and that’s exactly what it resembles, even down to the faded parking lines on the black top.

In one of his posts on Instagram, Joe Rohde talks about how difficult it was to make this area appear authentic. The challenge with constructing something in a Disney park that exists in the real world is that we, as guests, KNOW what certain things look like. Tomorrowland can look like anything, because it’s imaginary. But we all know what a cracking blacktop parking lot is supposed to look like, and therefore the Imagineers had to put extra work into it to make it feel as real as possible. I don’t know. We just appreciate this area. Leave us alone.

Now time for me to drool over our next attraction: DINOSAUR.

6qz7e9.jpg

In my opinion, this is the most underrated attraction in Walt Disney World, and it is definitely my favorite. I love dinosaurs and I love time travel, so this attraction is everything to me. There’s never a long wait and the queue is perfectly themed to resemble both a museum and a top-notch scientific lab. This attraction is exciting and terrifying and so, so, so much fun.

wvpn4m.jpg

f4eljs.jpg

14xhr91.jpg

vytziq.jpg

25q6w5l.jpg

Once upon a time, this ride was sponsored by McDonald’s. Look out for the red, white, and yellow pipes in the lab section of the queue.

2dgpedu.jpg

Those complicated scientific formulas are actually the formulas for ketchup, mustard, and mayonnaise. Apparently one of the secrets to time travel is… condiments?

We had some time to kill so we decided to catch It’s Tough to be a Bug. This is the show that takes place inside of the Tree of Life. It’s a fine show with amazing 3-D effects and an amazing Hopper animatronic (Hopper and the Wicked Witch from GMR are apparently two of the most advanced animatronics at WDW. Well… Operating animatronics. I’m looking at you, Yeti). Also, the queue provides amazing close-up views of the animals carved into the Tree's roots.

35jf6sy.jpg

For this show, they say move all the way to the end of the row. Don’t do that. The theater will rarely fill up. Sitting in the middle of the row allows for a better 3-D experience. Try to work it out to where you’re not too far left or too far right.

The next show we were excited about catching was the Festival of the Lion King.

2f09ibk.jpg

30xiqhe.jpg

We made it just in time to catch the 3:00 showing. Our excitement was mainly focused around the new theater. Since our last time seeing the show, the FoLK show had been moved from Camp Minnie-Mickey to Harambe, which makes 1000% more sense. However, the theater is exactly the same, so there wasn’t much to be excited about. The new area was gorgeous, but the actual theater inside was no different.

pbuon.jpg

30uvk7p.jpg

This is one of the most popular shows on property by far. People LOVE this show. We think it’s ok. Actually, if I’m being honest, I think we all fell asleep at some point during this performance. Not saying I dislike this show. Before seeing it 500 times, this show gave me chills. Now, I’m just too familiar with it. Not to mention the fact that during this specific showing, it seemed as if they were not running with their starting lineup. The main for performers were dry and awkward. Still a great show, however, Highly recommended. If you've never seen it, it's most definitely a must do.

Upon leaving the theater, we stumbled upon a few FP+ cast members near the Dawa Bar. Because we had used up our Fatpasses for the day, we decided to check out what else was available. Basically, all that was left was Dinosaur. Like I said, I love that ride, but we all knew at this point in the day, a FP for Dinosaur was not required. However, this meant that we’d be riding it again so I was obviously excited. I also spotted another pin from my Pirate collection.

ao3rl.jpg

It’s a compass that reads “The dead do not bear witness”, just a rewording of the famous pirate phrase “Dead men tell no tales”. I’m still on the lookout for the last two pins in the set, but I’m satisfied with how my collection is coming along.

2drig43.jpg

Alli swears on everything that the frozen lemonade from Drinkwallah is the best frozen lemonade there is, so we were on a mission to get some.

I swear they have different machines or something in there! In reality, they probably don't. I just find that the flavor of the lemonade is more sour instead of fake lemon taste.

2la7foi.jpg

2prd9ud.jpg

However, upon seeing the menu, something caught our eye…

17y4cy.jpg

…coconut-lychee lemonade? With rum? Sold. It was delicious. However, I think they skimped out on the rum. There was either very little rum or none at all.

qpp1sy.gif

I could taste a little rum, but it was definitely one of those highly flavored low proof varieties. It was still a delicious drink! I don't like margaritas and that's a lot of what is offered in DAK for adult beverages, so it was good to see this variety. This isn't a frozen lemonade, just to clarify, it's a mixed drink.

We headed back towards Dinoland, but we arrived a little early for our fastpass. So we decided to ride Primeval Whirl. This attraction is exciting, but for all the wrong reasons. It’s exciting because you actually may die. So we nervously laughed our way through this ride in order to hide our fear and pain (this ride is a rough one). After our bruising, we went to use our Dinosaur fastpass only to discover, as we assumed, that there was no line. We walked right on.

Primeval Whirl is definitely more rough and tumble than Goofy's Sky School over in DCA, though they are very similar. I think it's the difference in the ride vehicles that brings the pain.

21kjz2f.jpg

It was dinner time. We knew we had to try the new food at Harambe Market.

r2sy1e.jpg

2mxee7r.jpg

We decided on a curry sausage-dog, Spice-rubbed Karubi Ribs, and a watermelon lemonade. The corndog was served on a bed of veggies and the ribs came with a chickpea, corn, and tomato salad.

8vqk4h.jpg

119pb82.jpg

28gta4n.jpg

We were both disappointed. The sausage-dog was really dry, the ribs hardly had any meat on them, and everything seriously lacked flavor. The food wasn’t terrible, but we probably won't eat here in the future. If we do, we’ll try something else from the menu. At least the lemonade was good! And as I’ve said before, the area is gorgeous and not crowded at all.

I love the idea of the options at Harambe Market and they sound really good in theory. We are definitely adventurous eaters and there's not much I shy away from. I understand that the food Disney serves has to be palatable to many different people. However, if you're going to call it a curry dog, I should be able to taste SOME curry. I couldn't. I know curry can be an off-putting taste to some, so why not make a flavorful sauce to go on the side so people can decide how much to use for themselves? Also, the two veggie salads really needed some seasoning or to be tossed in a more flavorful sauce. Zuri's Sweet Shoppe didn't open until after we left, but I'll go back over there to try that for sure. When I could eat at delicious Flame Tree Barbecue in DAK for the same price, I probably won't be eager to return.

Next time: Chrissy and Scott almost lose their vision, a postal service secret that not many people know about, and we say farewell for now.

2w5j2g3.jpg

Well, everyone... Here it is. The final update for our 2015 Walt Disney World trip report. Thank you for hanging in there this long. Now off we go!

After our disappointing meal at Harambe Market, we decided to head back to the hotel in order to rest up for our final night. Obviously, the plan was to spend the night in our home park, the Magic Kingdom. I feel as though you can’t properly end a Disney vacation unless you close out the final night in the Magic Kingdom. It just makes sense! But we’d had a long day, and we needed a break.

Chrissy and I couldn’t resist the call of the Hippy Dippy pool. We decided to go for a swim while Alli relaxed in the hotel room. The weather was nice and warm and Alli had gotten us some pool toys to play with because we’re children. Toys in hand, Chrissy and I first headed down to the Computer pool. Before working at PotC, I was a lifeguard stationed at both Typhoon Lagoon and Pop Century. In my experience, the Computer pool was the least crowded. Today, I was wrong. It was packed, so we decided to check out the main Pop pool, the Hippy Dippy pool. This pool is themed to the 60’s and is shaped like an enormous flower. To our surprise, the pool was vacant. Literally. Nobody was in it. Upon asking a lifeguard, we were informed that the pool had just opened. Chrissy and I were the first ones in. I don’t know WHAT had happened, but whatever the cause for closure, they remedied the problem by adding mass amounts of chlorine to the pool. OUR EYES!!!! We quickly found out that getting the water in our eyes was not going to be too magical. We returned to the room shortly after, smelling strongly of chlorine.

We showered, got dressed, and caught the bus back to the Magic Kingdom. We didn’t have a specific plan. But we knew there was one thing that we had to do before we left…

Did you guys know that those mailboxes on Main Street are actual functioning mailboxes? Yep! We had purchased some postcards from the parks, wrote short messages to our friends and families, and sent them off.

10gmbrs.jpg

All you need is a postcard and some stamps. Also, swing by City Hall and they’ll give your postcards the official “sent from Main Street U.S.A” stamp adorned with (what else?) Mickey’s face.

rsdhkm.png

P.S. – Harry Potter stamps are not required. But they make your postcard a bit cooler.

No plan in mind, we just decided to wander over to the Jungle Cruise to see if we could spot any old friends.

25gec75.jpg

2is76lv.jpg

We chatted for a minute, and then headed towards Liberty Square en route to Fantasyland. Liberty Square is a GREAT place to watch Wishes if the castle area is too crowded. LS almost always has less people and there are no tall structures blocking the view. We strolled through Liberty Square and Fantasyland before catching the Wishes! finale out front of the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train.

ta3t5v.jpg

5kecz4.jpg

We all have our favorite Wishes! moment. Alli and I both get teary eyed when Peter Pan says “I wish…I’d never have to grow up!” It just tugs on my heart strings. But my favorite, FAVORITE part is actually a few minutes after the show when you’re walking around and they decide to surprise you with…. Wait... What is that?... Oh it’s just a SICK GUITAR SOLO!! Seriously. Listen for it. I would always pretend to jam out on my electric guitar/pirate sword whenever I was lucky enough to be working outside during the fireworks.

Because we were right there, we decided to hop on Winnie the Pooh. I really enjoy this attraction. I can’t quite figure out why. It isn’t incredible. But that silly, ‘hunny’ loving bear makes me smile.

vzeueh.jpg

After visiting the Hundred Acre Woods and wandering around a bit more, we decided to see what sort of fastpass we could get at 10:40 P.M. Of course, the big ticket attractions were all gone, but we did snag one for the Haunted Mansion. The funny thing was that our FP window started 4 minutes from when we got the actual FP! Weird. We walked over to the house on the hill, and upon arrival, we decided that the FP was totally unnecessary (obviously). Besides, we love the interactive graveyard.

sff23a.jpg

Have you guys figured out the Dread Family murder mystery yet? Did you even know that there was a small ‘Whodunnit?’ type game to be played?! The point is to figure out who killed who. Examine the plaques, along with the actual busts. OK HERE WE GO!!

WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD. If you wish to solve the riddle on your own, avoid the following paragraph!

344yux3.jpg

Start in the middle with Uncle Jacob. Obviously a rich guy. Too rich. Somebody wanted his money, see? His epitaph even says that he was killed out of greed. But who would do such a thing? It mentions swallowing a poison. That points to… BERTIE! Bertie’s inscription has a tiny picture of a bottle with skull and crossbones. Not the piratey kind, either. But who killed Bertie? Hmmm.. It says he was an “expert shot. And in the end, that’s what he got.” So he was shot. GASP Aunt Florence! Is that a revolver on your epitaph?! Ok so now who did Flo in? She was killed by… Canary seed? Weird. Well the twins have a dead canary on their epitaph! And look! Could that be a bag of birdseed behind them?? At this point, there is only one surving member of the Dread family. Cousin Maude! Her epitaph has a picture of a mallet, and the twins were found dead with bumps on their heads. It had to be her! But then there’s the mystery of who killed Maude. Her epitaph insinuates that she died in a fire while sleeping. What could have caused that? Well if you examine her bust very closely, you may find the answer.

I’ll leave you guys wondering. Try to solve the mystery yourself!

If you ladies and gents are into photography, nighttime at MK is an EXCELLENT place to get fantastic pictures.

6nv7fl.jpg

2644603.jpg

2chm1j8.jpg

2w24tqr.jpg

25psuue.jpg

1kdqq.jpg

We ended up back in Adventureland, and PotC had virtually no wait.

34ex552.jpg

dxfzww.jpg

2ed2z4l.jpg

WE WANTS THE REDHEAD!

o6i99s.jpg

4ztba1.jpg

However, probably my favorite nighttime scenery is that of Tomorrowland. I love the lights and colors. Tomorrowland is much better experienced at night.

2dviyrl.jpg

2d0c4s3.jpg

We were tired, and the Peoplemover never has a wait. We hopped on board for one last trip around Tomorrowland before getting one last view of the castle and heading back down Main Street.

im5gtt.jpg

30w1chv.jpg

It’s never a good feeling knowing that you’re leaving the park for the last time on a Disney vacation. However, I try to keep in mind that we had an amazing vacation, and this definitely would not be our last time leaving the Magic Kingdom. Not even close. We’d be back very soon.

The next morning, we ate a quick breakfast at the Pop food court before beginning our long drive back home. The Pop waffles came highly recommended and did not disappoint! Very fluffy and tasty.

aeqs01.jpg

Well guys and gals, that’s it! Our last update for this trip, along with out last food related picture. It’s always a blast updating you all on our trips. You allow us to relive these amazing days and nights, and your likes and comments mean the world to us. We love these parks and resorts. Even after living there for a year, the magic never grows old and we never grow up.

One day soon, we’ll begin our next trip report: our surprise trip to Disneyland! It’s a short one, so be on the lookout!

Thanks for reading along!!

-Scott and Alli

What a fantastic TR!!! I really enjoyed all your inside knowledge. Take care and i hope to read more TR's from the both of you soon.

Well I found your TR at the end of it, but you answered a question that I had. I visited MGM Studios right after it opened. I remembered walking through the area where the disney artists were working and I never could figure out where that was, since I didn't visit again for many years. It makes sense that it's in the Art of Animation area. Thanks for that!

I love all the tips you have given. I look forward to looking for some of the things you described in this report. Glad you had a great trip!

What a fantastic TR!!! I really enjoyed all your inside knowledge. Take care and i hope to read more TR's from the both of you soon.
Great TR, just found it today, so good timing on my part! :yay:

Can't wait for your Disneyland TR!

If you guys enjoyed this TR and you haven't checked out our Disneyland TR, check it out right here! It was our first report, and it was a blast to write. We can't wait to write our next one. It may be posted under Alli's name, but there's a chance I'll write it under my name. Whichever we decide, we'll keep you all posted.

I visited MGM Studios right after it opened. I remembered walking through the area where the disney artists were working and I never could figure out where that was, since I didn't visit again for many years. It makes sense that it's in the Art of Animation area. Thanks for that!

I do wish they still did this. I don't think I ever got to see it personally. It would even be interesting if they had a modern day version, with animators working on computers and whatnot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter