Escaping Snowy New England for Freezing Florida Feb 2015 Final Hours 11/17 p. 23

Are We There Yet?

I don’t normally write much about our arrival day. I am perfectly content to post “We arrived at the airport, everything went smoothly, our flight took off on time and then 3 hours later, we landed in Orlando.”

Unfortunately, that was not what happened…

As I’m sure all of you know (especially any of you who live along the east coast), this has been a MISERABLE winter! In February alone, the Boston area has received almost 100 inches of snow. Every weekend, we have seen storms dumping between a foot and 3 feet of snow.

The transportation system is a mess and subsequently commuter trains into the city have been delayed or sometimes they just don’t show up!

I was supposed to start back up with my farm job in early February, but on the first day it was starting, nobody showed up and we ended up cancelling the two sessions until the end of March because there is just too much snow and it has been too cold.

Suffice to say, we could not get out of Dodge fast enough.

Our flight on Monday morning was scheduled for a 7:35 departure. There had been a snow storm over the weekend, Valentine’s Day Saturday into Sunday, about a foot and a half, but it was over by early afternoon and that evening all flights for the next morning were showing as “on time”

Our driver arrived at our home for our 4:45 am pickup. Roads were fine, it was a holiday (President’s Day) so traffic was light. The driver pulled to the curb, Mark and I got out of the van, the boys climbed out from the backseat and Nate asked “Who’s backpack is that?”

Mark had forgotten his backpack on the van floor. That is SO unlike him. WTG Nate! PHEW!

We had our boarding passes and breezed through bag check and even security. We got to the gate around 6:15 and had breakfast from Dunkin Donuts. Our flight was listed as on time, but there was no plane at Gate 11.

DSCF5202.jpg

As it was approaching 7:00, our boarding time, there was still no plane.

When the whole family goes away on a trip, I don’t post anything on Facebook until we return home. I trust my friends. I really do- but friends of my friends? Who knows.

But since there is an additional layer on anonymity (however slight) here on the DIS, I did announce our trip plans over on the FAQ board and many of my friends over there were wishing us well as I updated them on our “progress”

At airport. Flight listed as on time but we are supposed to board at 7 and plane is not here yet. Hopefully not too delayed.

Eventually an announcement was made that our plane was here at the airport, but there was not a gate available for our flight.

Around 8:30:

Still waiting. We are told our plane is here and waiting for a gate. But our driver in Orlando saw it was cancelled. And now a siren is going off and there is an announcement there is an emergency in our building. Stay tuned

We saw firefighters over at a nearby gate, but we never did find out what had gone on.

One friend over on the FAQ was tracking my flight and posted this:

At this time, JetBlue is saying 9:15 departure - not bad, considering.

We are all sending positive vibes your way!

A plane landed at our gate, but it was a larger plane than we were going to be taking.

As we watched the plane out of the window, we saw mechanics coming over and start working on the engine. That can’t be good! They took a part out of the engine and then about 30 minutes later, a box arrived with a new part. They put that in. Unfortunately, this was a plane to NYC, with a lot of people who would be missing their connecting flights. There was quite an angry mob lined-up at the checkin desk! They were announcing that there was not a single hotel room available in NYC, so if the passengers weren’t going to make their connecting flight, they should not get onto the plane.

:scared1:

Meanwhile, another announcement was made that our plane was at the airport, but there was still not a gate available.

DSCF5205.jpg

For the next couple of hours, there were very few announcements, but our boarding time would be changed a few more times as we watched the departure board.

Meanwhile, the plane to NYC finally took off and another plane took its place at the gate we were supposed to be flying from. Not our plane.

At the gate next to us, a plane had been idling, but not moving, for over 2 hours!!! I’m not sure where it came from or where it was going, but if they were having trouble finding a gate for our plane, they could have towed that one out of there!

Another message from an FAQ friend:

Hang in there Dee!! We are one town away and can bring you a care package of Dunkin Donuts coffee and Spinelli's Italian food if they keep delaying the flight!!!

Jay

Around 10:30, I decided to go to the ladies room and on my way I heard someone call out “Dee!” It was the education manager for the organization I work for. She was flying out to visit family in Florida (a different flight) and her gate had been changed 4 times that morning!

Thankfully, when I came back, they FINALLY announced a gate change for us.

When they made the announcement that we were going to be boarding soon they said needed to refuel first. I couldn't help but think

"Um, couldn't you have gassed up the plane sometime in the 4 hours we were waiting?"

Thanks Jay. Your offer is almost worth it. Just boarded. Have a great week all.
Off to see the wizard! pixiedust:

We boarded at 11 am, the same time we were supposed to be landing in Orlando.

At 11:30 it was wheels up.

I took a couple of pictures in the plane, which my family hates

WP_20150216_001.jpg

DSCF5206.jpg

DSCF5208.jpg

Caught!

OK, I guess I will just point my camera out the window.

DSCF5209.jpg

DSCF5211.jpg

DSCF5212.jpg

DSCF5213.jpg

DSCF5214.jpg

At 2:40, we landed, 20 minutes early (if you can call 3 hours and 40 mintues late, early).

Continued in Next Post

Last edited:
Continued from Previous Post

We made our way to the faux-no-rail, which gets pretty crowded in the afternoon, apparently.

WP_20150216_003.jpg

WP_20150216_002.jpg

We met our driver, Willie (from Ed Korgan Travel) on our way to baggage claim. We got our bags, followed Willie to the van and he said

“We should be at the Hard Rock in 22 minutes”

My, that’s specific. And quick! (I think it was about 25 minutes)

Before we knew it, we were approaching the welcome sign that we all yearn to see:

DSCF5215.jpg

We have arrived!

Next up: (Down at the end of lonely street): Hard Rock Hotel and Would you get to a theme park, already?

Last edited:
I'll have some pictures of the newly renovated HRH rooms soon (in fact, I have already posted them over on the US forum). I definitely think Universal is better appreciated when the kids in the family are old enough, and daring enough, to go on the extreme rides.

Fortunately everyone in the family likes both Disney and US/IoA, although each of us have different favorites.

:goodvibes
Yay for Hard Rock CL!!!!!!!!! I do like Universal as well, and I LOVE that their APs are so reasonably priced! Sorry about the plane delay, those are the worst!

BEACH CLUB VILLAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOO HOO! Also, we're doing DxDP 7 nights of signature, kid free dinners (our kids anyway).....can.not.wait.

:banana::banana::banana:

I am thrilled to hear that! Have you been over to FAQ thread? Lots of great info and pictures and a lot of fun, friendly people.

:goodvibes

Yay for Hard Rock CL!!!!!!!!! I do like Universal as well, and I LOVE that their APs are so reasonably priced! Sorry about the plane delay, those are the worst!

We love the Hard Rock and it was great doing CL this time.

:thumbsup2

I am perfectly content to post “We arrived at the airport, everything went smoothly, our flight took off on time and then 3 hours later, we landed in Orlando.”

Unfortunately, that was not what happened…
Uh oh. The only good travel day is the one where that prior statement applies.

Mark had forgotten his backpack on the van floor. That is SO unlike him. WTG Nate! PHEW!
Yikes! Good catch!

When the whole family goes away on a trip, I don’t post anything on Facebook until we return home. I trust my friends. I really do- but friends of my friends? Who knows.
I'm the same way. I don't mind posting random updates on here, but not on Facebook.

Unfortunately, this was a plane to NYC, with a lot of people who would be missing their connecting flights. There was quite an angry mob lined-up at the checkin desk! They were announcing that there was not a single hotel room available in NYC, so if the passengers weren’t going to make their connecting flight, they should not get onto the plane.
Oh, wow. I guess no matter how bad it might be, at least you weren't one of those people. That would be horrible.

Meanwhile, another announcement was made that our plane was at the airport, but there was still not a gate available.
Just open the door and give us a stepladder for cryin' out loud!!!!

We boarded at 11 am, the same time we were supposed to be landing in Orlando.
:crazy2: Aren't you glad you got picked up at 4:45???

At 2:40, we landed. 20 minutes early (if you can call 3 hours and 40 mintues late, early)
Hey! At least they're trying to make up time!

Before we knew it, we were approaching the welcome sign that we all yearn to see:
:rotfl::rotfl2::lmao: Well played. :thumbsup2

Dee, the whole morning sounds like a nightmare. If I didn't have fake nails, I am sure I would have chewed them all off. I'm not a good flier to begin with, and that would have just driven me over the edge.

I'm glad you finally got there...safe and sound.

:oops::thumbsup2
I am going to push through with another update. I am anxious to get to the parks!!!

:jumping1:

This made me laugh as I could feel your excitement lol

I remember the saga of your journey and the relief we all felt for you when you finally got in the air:worship:. Love that "welcome sign". So easy to spot lol
Brilliant deal on club level can't wait for your review of Hard Rock Hotel:thumbsup2

Very nice intro Dee, but I kind of LAUGHED OUT LOUD at 33 chapters for a two day TR. I didn't even realize that and I read it. :faint:

I really would like to try onsite at Universal some day even though it is pricey. I love the included Front of the Line (which is something I DO NOT want Disney to copy). Ok for 3 hotels... not so great for over 20.

I was feeling the exact same way with this winter and flights. Obviously not anywhere to the degree you had though. But funny enough, the very first thing I do when I get to the gates is to find mine just so I can see if a plane is there.

Wow, that is crazy!!! All that uncertainly would drive me nuts. As much as I love getting away in the winter, the stress of winter flying almost makes it not worth it. Almost. I remember seeing the postings around that time of the delays and gate issues. Glad you finally made it safe and sound.

It is hard to get into the magical mood, when you start off with arriving hours late. Maybe you hit the Club Level at the right time to take advantage of the amenities?

That was a long time to wait. At least it wasn't snowing. Having to wait to get de-iced would have made it worse. :sad2:

As I’m sure all of you know (especially any of you who live along the east coast), this has been a MISERABLE winter! In February alone, the Boston area has received almost 100 inches of snow. Every weekend, we have seen storms dumping between a foot and 3 feet of snow.

Yeah, this was not a good winter to be in Boston. Of course you were happy to get out of there!

Yay Nate! I'm sure Mark was so glad Nate noticed that!

But since there is an additional layer on anonymity (however slight) here on the DIS, I did announce our trip plans over on the FAQ board and many of my friends over there were wishing us well as I updated them on our “progress”

I totally get that - it's so much easier to find someone's information from FB than it is here.
I generally do post on FB when I go, but only because my whole family rarely goes on vacation at once so there's generally someone home when I'm in Florida. But if we all did go at the same time, like you, I'd feel much more comfortable posting it here than there.

Thankfully, when I came back, they FINALLY announced a gate change for us.

Yay! Progress towards Orlando!

dscf5208-jpg.81468

My family used to have a tradition of taking pictures of us kids in the hotel bathroom ... I'm pretty sure this is what my face looks like in every one.

I think what I like most about this picture is the contrast between the snowy water and the blue water.

At 2:40, we landed, 20 minutes early (if you can call 3 hours and 40 mintues late, early).

I guess in their eyes, once you leave the gate, what time you were actually supposed to leave/land no longer matters.

“We should be at the Hard Rock in 22 minutes”

My, that’s specific. And quick! (I think it was about 25 minutes)

Probably a number from the GPS ... but certainly a good commute time!

That's not the sign I usually look for, but I'm sure you were excited to see it!

I'm so glad that you finally made it down to Orlando despite the insane delay ... hopefully it's all uphill from here!

Like you said...at least you made it to Florida!!!
I would've sat in the airport for 10 hours if it meant I got to actually go.
But I can't complain....I think I have 38 days left.

OT: wasn't the weather awesome today?? It hit 49 degrees here. Unfortunately I didn't really get to enjoy it, but it felt great walking out after work. My DS13 asked if he could wear shorts. LOL

I could never imagine going to Florida and not visiting Disney either, but last year I did it and survived. I did miss my Disney time though and had to quickly book a trip to Disney so I could get my fix.

What a nightmare getting to Florida but at least you got there.

Just open the door and give us a stepladder for cryin' out loud!!!!

Those were almost Ben's exact words! "Why can't we use one of those steps like we did in Hawaii?"

Great minds!

;)

:rotfl::rotfl2::lmao: Well played. :thumbsup2

I have one for Disneyland, too!!!

P1220254.JPG

My family was like "WHAT are you taking a picture of now?!?"

:rolleyes1

Dee, the whole morning sounds like a nightmare. If I didn't have fake nails, I am sure I would have chewed them all off. I'm not a good flier to begin with, and that would have just driven me over the edge.

I'm glad you finally got there...safe and sound.

We have been very fortunate during our past winter trips. We have had minor delays and some de-icing, but never a 4 hour delay! The worst part is that they were not giving many updates, so we got more and more nervous.

:scared:

:oops::thumbsup2

This made me laugh as I could feel your excitement lol

I remember the saga of your journey and the relief we all felt for you when you finally got in the air:worship:. Love that "welcome sign". So easy to spot lol
Brilliant deal on club level can't wait for your review of Hard Rock Hotel:thumbsup2

I was rarin' to go!!!

I appreciated everyones' words of encouragement and concern as we continued to wait. It truly made a bad situation more bearable.

I know your family had some issues at the Hard Rock, but once again, we enjoyed our stay.

Very nice intro Dee, but I kind of LAUGHED OUT LOUD at 33 chapters for a two day TR. I didn't even realize that and I read it. :faint:

I really would like to try onsite at Universal some day even though it is pricey. I love the included Front of the Line (which is something I DO NOT want Disney to copy). Ok for 3 hotels... not so great for over 20.

I was feeling the exact same way with this winter and flights. Obviously not anywhere to the degree you had though. But funny enough, the very first thing I do when I get to the gates is to find mine just so I can see if a plane is there.

Wow, that is crazy!!! All that uncertainly would drive me nuts. As much as I love getting away in the winter, the stress of winter flying almost makes it not worth it. Almost. I remember seeing the postings around that time of the delays and gate issues. Glad you finally made it safe and sound.

I know, right!?! The report was so riveting it only seemed like 30 chapters! :rotfl2:

The single rider is one alternative to FOTL. My family is spoiled. Seriously. With a few exceptions they still wouldn't get in line for any attraction that had more than a 30 minute wait, even with the express passes. No Minions For You! :mad:

I was just amazed that Mark and Nate could look at the planes at the gate and were able to tell they were too big to be ours (We had 2-2 seating instead of the typical 3-3)

Given some of the news about air travel this winter, we probably shouldn't complain.

:goodvibes:

It is hard to get into the magical mood, when you start off with arriving hours late. Maybe you hit the Club Level at the right time to take advantage of the amenities?

We did ok. Our moods were much better once we were on the plane. What else can you do?

We did get some cold drinks and snacks when we first arrived, but they didn't have the hard stuff out yet.

:rotfl:

That was a long time to wait. At least it wasn't snowing. Having to wait to get de-iced would have made it worse. :sad2:

Been there, done that with the de-icing. They didn't have to for this flight thankfully.

Although when they made the announcement that we were going to be boarding soon, they just needed to refuel I couldn't help but think.

"Um, couldn't you have gassed up the plane sometime in the 4 hours we were waiting?"

Yeah, this was not a good winter to be in Boston. Of course you were happy to get out of there!

Yay Nate! I'm sure Mark was so glad Nate noticed that!

PHEW! Mark had his Surface tablet and medication in there. It would not have been fun to have to call our driver back!

My family used to have a tradition of taking pictures of us kids in the hotel bathroom ... I'm pretty sure this is what my face looks like in every one.

Pure anger in that look!

:mad:

I think what I like most about this picture is the contrast between the snowy water and the blue water.

Thank you!

:)

I guess in their eyes, once you leave the gate, what time you were actually supposed to leave/land no longer matters.

Probably a number from the GPS ... but certainly a good commute time!

That's not the sign I usually look for, but I'm sure you were excited to see it!

I'm so glad that you finally made it down to Orlando despite the insane delay ... hopefully it's all uphill from here!

::yes::

Like you said...at least you made it to Florida!!!
I would've sat in the airport for 10 hours if it meant I got to actually go.
But I can't complain....I think I have 38 days left.

OT: wasn't the weather awesome today?? It hit 49 degrees here. Unfortunately I didn't really get to enjoy it, but it felt great walking out after work. My DS13 asked if he could wear shorts. LOL

I definitely thought of you as I was at the airport. I'm not sure when you would have been able to fly out. It was a mess at the airport. One family near us had to be split up. The dad was on our flight with two young kids and the mom had to fly out the next day alone to meet them. "Poor" mom.

:cool: :lmao:

Yes, it is nice to finally see the sun and have some warm weather!

:cool2:

Last edited:
Ninja Posts!

I'm on board and honored I was quoted!! Can't wait to follow along!!!

Jay

:welcome: Jay!

Your post about bringing survival provisions seriously put a smile on my face!!!

:hug:

I could never imagine going to Florida and not visiting Disney either, but last year I did it and survived. I did miss my Disney time though and had to quickly book a trip to Disney so I could get my fix.

What a nightmare getting to Florida but at least you got there.

Normally it would have been tough for me to skip Disney, but I was there in August (alone-ish) and I'll be going in 3 months with my son Ben. So I guess I can't complain about missing the Mouse!!!

::MickeyMo

Last edited:
You have been a busy wee wanderer this year Dee. Lucky you. I'm heading to London again soon with the boys (hubby already there with work so we are joining him for fun and footy) so can't complain or be too jealous ( just the normal amount of jealousy lol).
Would love to stay onsite at universal but fear I will never convince other family members after last times debacle at royal pacific
Still think it was so lovely that Jay offered to bring you emergency provisions and glad you didn't need them in the end

You have been a busy wee wanderer this year Dee. Lucky you. I'm heading to London again soon with the boys (hubby already there with work so we are joining him for fun and footy) so can't complain or be too jealous ( just the normal amount of jealousy lol).
Would love to stay onsite at universal but fear I will never convince other family members after last times debacle at royal pacific
Still think it was so lovely that Jay offered to bring you emergency provisions and glad you didn't need them in the end

I'm realizing that as I am trying to juggle too many trip reports!

:rotfl2:

Have a wonderful time in London! Any special plans?

I do hope you are able to convince the family to give the US hotels another shot. The Front of the Line passes are really nice! Tell 'em "Dee sent you"

I'm in! I'll follow along, but only because I like Dee so much - not because I approve of Universal. :) Very interested in the Harry Potter developments and always interested to learn more about resorts! Photos of the boys are too funny - Ben seems to be losing patience! Our boys are still making the "awesome face" for photos with their mouths wide open. Dee, you know what I'm talking about. This means they always look happy, but also a little crazed.

Dee,
What an ordeal. I guess 3 hours and 40 minutes late could be early? Hmmm

Ben's look at you in the plane picture certainly would be evidence that he doesn't not approve of this picture! If looks could kill.

Look forward to reading more!

Rebecca

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter