Escaping Snowy New England for Freezing Florida Feb 2015 Final Hours 11/17 p. 23

Love seeing the resort pics. All this same components of a Disney resort yet it all looks so different.

That bloody mirror is odd, in a good way. As for the height you may see eye to eye with Pat Benatar, but your great personality gives you some extra inches and I think of you as in line with Beyonce or Adele. :)

Hahahaha, Teenagers. I believe "Cool" even with no exclamation point is still a good thing. Small consolation though when you're waiting for fireworks, lol.

I will say that FoTL pass is one heck of an onsite perk. Unlimited too I think, right? As I mentioned before I am glad Disney doesn't do this (lets be honest, it would be almost worthless given the number of rooms Disney has) but great for Universal.

Haha, yup, Universal... where fanny packs are not a fashion faux pas.

Hmm, that mirror would be perfect for a Horror Nights stay. Not so sure about February. Bloody Valentine maybe?

I've never been to the Hard Rock, so I loved seeing all of the pictures.
That mirror, though ... did you make sure that there was no murder that happened in your room? Because that was my first thought. I'm sure there's some actual reason for it ... but I have no idea.
The room looks really great - makes me want to stay at HRH if I ever stay at Universal!

I was impressed with the entrance and lobby. The rest looked contemporary, which does not excite me. I ordered a custom crossbody for upcoming Disney trip, not that I need another crossbody. If I like this crafter, I'll have to order a fanny pack for our trip to universal. This info is priceless. : o ). Hmm, a request for deluxe room, on my check list too- along with early checkin. Eagerly awaiting our next installment!

Dee - Ah club level. Such teens that they were just "cool" with the upgrade. I used to love the Sonny and Cher show! Nice room. Very contemporary. Looks like I would be in good company with the tall ladies, Adele and Mariah....But the "bloody" mirror?

Such a great advantage the express pass has to resort guests and really like it is so high tech getting registered for those benefits right in the lobby.

Rebecca

The Hard Rock Hotel looks great! :thumbsup2 I love the style and decorations in the room, especially the mirror that includes rocker's heights. The "blood" spattered mirror is... odd. I have no idea what that might stand for? :confused3

Oh, teenagers. :rotfl: I bet they liked Club Level more than they let on!

I think the HRH is more my style than the RPR (our resort for our upcoming stay) - but I suppose the tropical theming will be fun, too.

I will be breaking out the fanny pack for my trip, as well! I bought mine for my Universal trip in 2012 and had no shame in using it as there were pictures to take! I believe I may have gotten that tip from your 2011 report - thank you! :goodvibes

I know my DD12 loves when we get upgraded to the exec floor at Hiltons and get lounge access. There is something about "free" stuff and "exclusive access" that just does it for people, especially teens, though they will never admit it! I know you only paid an extra $9 for club level so that makes it worth it in this instance but if it were the typical price difference, usually $100+ more per night, do you think that you get your money's worth? I'll take it if it's free but I don't usually pay for an upgrade or book it in advance...

Wow! The resort looks really nice! The blood splattered mirror is a little odd however. The FoTL perk for on site guests is really, really nice. Disney probably has way too many hotels to do something like that but it would be an awesome perk.

I'm almost at a park!!!!

:lmao:

My boys LOVE HRH!! The last time we stayed there we had a pool/theme park view. (I'm pretty sure we were upgraded) Looked just like the view from the elevator you had. The rooms look really nice. I'm with you and that picture...freaky. The measurement mirror is really cool.

We all love the Hard Rock. I love the music playing in the hallways. You can't beat a short walk to the parks (especially after I convinced my family we should use the "shortcut" to City Walk. More about that in the report.

We stayed at the Portofino on our first trip, but we prefer the Hard Rock. Portofino was too far away and it was too fancy for us

Although I will give the Portofino points for NOT having a blood-splattered mirror.

:rotfl2:

Love seeing the resort pics. All this same components of a Disney resort yet it all looks so different.That bloody mirror is odd, in a good way.

We had plenty of space in the room, and lots of seating and tables/desks, so it was great.

:thumbsup2

As for the height you may see eye to eye with Pat Benatar, but your great personality gives you some extra inches and I think of you as in line with Beyonce or Adele. :)

Awww...that is so sweet. :hug:

Hahahaha, Teenagers. I believe "Cool" even with no exclamation point is still a good thing. Small consolation though when you're waiting for fireworks, lol.

I will say that FoTL pass is one heck of an onsite perk. Unlimited too I think, right? As I mentioned before I am glad Disney doesn't do this (lets be honest, it would be almost worthless given the number of rooms Disney has) but great for Universal.

Haha, yup, Universal... where fanny packs are not a fashion faux pas.
I'll take what I can get from the kids, but it is tough when you get :) when you expect :jumping1:

FoTL is awesome!!! Yes, it is unlimited and I think the only attractions that do not have it are Forbidden Journey, Escape from Gringotts and I think the two train rides. I wouldn't want Disney to do this either.

I have to admit, the fanny pack makes an appearance when we are at Disney, too. It is just so convenient.

:rolleyes1

Hmm, that mirror would be perfect for a Horror Nights stay. Not so sure about February. Bloody Valentine maybe?

:rotfl:

I've never been to the Hard Rock, so I loved seeing all of the pictures.
That mirror, though ... did you make sure that there was no murder that happened in your room? Because that was my first thought. I'm sure there's some actual reason for it ... but I have no idea.
The room looks really great - makes me want to stay at HRH if I ever stay at Universal!

Glad you enjoyed the pictures.

I don't know what is up with that mirror and I asked over on the US Resort forum if all of the refurbished rooms have this feature but nobody answered.

I thoroughly recommend the Hard Rock, for location first and then for the cool vibe and excellent service.

::yes::

I was impressed with the entrance and lobby. The rest looked contemporary, which does not excite me. I ordered a custom crossbody for upcoming Disney trip, not that I need another crossbody. If I like this crafter, I'll have to order a fanny pack for our trip to universal. This info is priceless. : o ). Hmm, a request for deluxe room, on my check list too- along with early checkin. Eagerly awaiting our next installment!

Décor doesn't really matter to me as long as we have the space we need. The main reason we love the Hard Rock is the location.

Oh, please post a picture of your crossbody bag. I haven't thought of getting a custom fanny pack.

:scratchin

Dee - Ah club level. Such teens that they were just "cool" with the upgrade. I used to love the Sonny and Cher show! Nice room. Very contemporary. Looks like I would be in good company with the tall ladies, Adele and Mariah....But the "bloody" mirror?

Such a great advantage the express pass has to resort guests and really like it is so high tech getting registered for those benefits right in the lobby.

Rebecca

They loved club level, despite their initial "non-reaction"

The Cher dress is one of my favorite pieces of memorabilia but the best is still the bench from the Partridge Family Bus. David Cassidy :lovestruc

Definitely a couple of "different" mirrors. Good thing the one outside the bathroom was normal.

Front of the line is truly awesome. It was crowded during our trip and a lot of stuff was down periodically, but knowing we mostly didn't need to wait in lines really spoils us.

:goodvibes

The Hard Rock Hotel looks great! :thumbsup2 I love the style and decorations in the room, especially the mirror that includes rocker's heights. The "blood" spattered mirror is... odd. I have no idea what that might stand for? :confused3

Oh, teenagers. :rotfl: I bet they liked Club Level more than they let on!

I think the HRH is more my style than the RPR (our resort for our upcoming stay) - but I suppose the tropical theming will be fun, too.

I will be breaking out the fanny pack for my trip, as well! I bought mine for my Universal trip in 2012 and had no shame in using it as there were pictures to take! I believe I may have gotten that tip from your 2011 report - thank you! :goodvibes

I really should have asked about the mirror when we were there.

They loved club level. It is too bad we only were around for the appetizers once during our trip. But we thoroughly enjoyed breakfast and had sweets every night before bed.

We hoped to get over to the Royal Pacific during our trip to check it out- I know I would love the theming, but we never made it there.

We didn't have to use the lockers once. It was great to have a place to safely store my phone, my son's phone and my point and shoot while on the extreme rides.

Go fanny pack! :cheer2:

I know my DD12 loves when we get upgraded to the exec floor at Hiltons and get lounge access. There is something about "free" stuff and "exclusive access" that just does it for people, especially teens, though they will never admit it! I know you only paid an extra $9 for club level so that makes it worth it in this instance but if it were the typical price difference, usually $100+ more per night, do you think that you get your money's worth? I'll take it if it's free but I don't usually pay for an upgrade or book it in advance...

Breakfast is our main reason we book club level. I think we would be able to find a less expensive option for $25 per person ($100 per night), so no, I don't think we would upgrade for that price.

:teacher:

Wow! The resort looks really nice! The blood splattered mirror is a little odd however. The FoTL perk for on site guests is really, really nice. Disney probably has way too many hotels to do something like that but it would be an awesome perk.

Well, if nothing else the mirror is a conversation piece.

:rotfl:

FoTL is great, but as many have said, too many onsite guests at Disney for this to work.

:crowded:

Last edited:
We told the boys in line “Oh yeah, we have a club level room” “Cool.” (No exclamation point). They were glad, but not really blown away with excitement. Ben did say he wondered what we were going to be doing for breakfast. Like his mom, he always likes to make sure we have a plan for our next meal!
:rotfl: At least his priorities are straight! I'm sorry the reaction was less than desired.

We stopped off at the lounge to grab some snacks and cool drinks and then we continued to our room.
Yep, already broke even on that extra $9 for the first night!

One of the big changes: the rooms have refrigerators in the rooms instead of the mini-bars filled with expensive snacks. :woohoo:
Nice! Not that you'd need it on the club level.

Seriously. What is up with this mirror? Am I missing the rock reference?
I... I don't know... :confused3

Here- this mirror is much better. You can compare your height to famous rock stars.
That's cool!!

I posted a link with lots of pictures from the Club Level Lounge in the Universal Forum. I’ll probably be posting a few of these pictures during the trip report at the appropriate time, but here is the full set all in one place.
It looks incredible! I think I could definitely get my $9 back, no problem!

But what is up with the night time menu? Nothing like loading up on basically pure sugar right before going to bed! :hyper: :rotfl2:

I'm almost at a park!!!!

Breakfast is our main reason we book club level. I think we would be able to find a less expensive option for $25 per person ($100 per night), so no, I don't think we would upgrade for that price.

:teacher:

My DD wants Cinnabon for breakfast every single day, lol. With one at City Walk and one at IOA, we are pretty much covered in that department.

After the Dis makeover, I stopped getting email notifications. Then, I started getting them again. Now, I'm back to hardly any notifications. Sooooo, I got behind. What a crappy start to your travel day! I'm with you on the fueling of the plane. You would have thought that they'd get the darn thing fueled up and ready during the lonnnnnnnnng delay. Oh well, you did arrive safe and sound to a beautiful room! I know that Hunter would have a hard rock of a heart attack if he saw all of the rock n' roll touches and references.

Great resort pictures, Dee. The rooms look very nice and quite spacious. Sorry you didn't get that deluxe you requested and saved yourself $25 a night. That is an odd looking mirror. I remember Pat Benatar! Is she still around performing?

The pool looks very nice as well.

I am still waiting to hear from the Etsy vendor. I'll post a pic of the crossbody, but in 6-8 weeks. In the meantime, back at the Hard Rock....

Great review Dee. I always travel with my fanny pack.

Some day soon we will get to Universal. Key West won for this trip.

:rotfl: At least his priorities are straight! I'm sorry the reaction was less than desired.

As soon as we book a trip, Ben starts planning where we are going to eat. The boy makes spreadsheets! It is serious work.

Yep, already broke even on that extra $9 for the first night!

It looks incredible! I think I could definitely get my $9 back, no problem!

We all grabbed drinks, chips and some trail mix (yum!) and then desserts later that night, so yes, we were in the black.

Every morning each of us had at least one doughnut, which I figure would be at least $2.50 at the resort, so everything else after that was bonus.

Nice! Not that you'd need it on the club level.

Still nice to have the fridge. When I had leftover coffee, I stashed it in the fridge so I could make iced coffee later. Unfortunately, never needed that iced coffee during our trip!

I... I don't know.. :confused3

Totally weird mirror. You can't even use it to see your reflection unless you are Carrie! And that is a literature reference, not music. The other mirror was cool, but still not the most practical one- hard to see your reflection with all that writing.

But what is up with the night time menu? Nothing like loading up on basically pure sugar right before going to bed! :hyper: :rotfl2:

That seems to be the case at all of the club levels we have stayed at- the late night offerings are desserts. Didn't really bother the boys to have sugar at night, but I bet it would not be the ideal things for little ones right before bedtime.

:jumping1:

My DD wants Cinnabon for breakfast every single day, lol. With one at City Walk and one at IOA, we are pretty much covered in that department.

That works!!!

:goodvibes:

After the Dis makeover, I stopped getting email notifications. Then, I started getting them again. Now, I'm back to hardly any notifications. Sooooo, I got behind. What a crappy start to your travel day! I'm with you on the fueling of the plane. You would have thought that they'd get the darn thing fueled up and ready during the lonnnnnnnnng delay. Oh well, you did arrive safe and sound to a beautiful room! I know that Hunter would have a hard rock of a heart attack if he saw all of the rock n' roll touches and references.

I saw the person I ran into at the airport at a work meeting yesterday. She said she heard all of the underground fuel lines were frozen so they had to use trucks to refuel all of the planes that morning.

They really have a great collection of memorabilia all around the resort. I'll be posting some of it as I go along in the report.

:rockband:

Great resort pictures, Dee. The rooms look very nice and quite spacious. Sorry you didn't get that deluxe you requested and saved yourself $25 a night. That is an odd looking mirror. I remember Pat Benatar! Is she still around performing?

The pool looks very nice as well.

I love Pat Benatar! Yes, she is still touring with her very hot hubby Neil Geraldo in much smaller venues than she used to headline.

The pool is really nice- we will spend a little bit of time out there later in the trip, but *spoiler alert* we do not take the plunge!

:cold:

I am still waiting to hear from the Etsy vendor. I'll post a pic of the crossbody, but in 6-8 weeks. In the meantime, back at the Hard Rock....

Just about time to head to the park...

:)

Great review Dee. I always travel with my fanny pack.

Some day soon we will get to Universal. Key West won for this trip.

Can't fault you with choosing the beach!!!

:beach:

Universal Studios: Tradition! Tradition!...Tradition!!!

We debated whether or not to change into shorts before going to the parks, but we figured it would probably start getting cool as it got dark, and there would be plenty of opportunities to put on the shorts we packed later in the week. Right?

Ben’s middle school drama club will be performing Fiddler on the Roof in a couple of weeks. Ben decided not to audition for the show, but he will be working backstage crew. The title of this chapter is inspired by the show, and by the quirky habit my boys have with theme park traditions.

When we arrive at Disney, the first park the boys need to visit is Magic Kingdom. I’m not saying it’s wrong, I am just surprised that it is so important to them.

We started our previous two trips to the Dark Side with visits to Universal Studios. This is a decision that makes sense, because the next morning is early entry to IoA. Our arrival day traditions: Ride Mummy first, and then lunch (or what would be dinner this year) at Lombard’s.

First, we had to pick up our Annual Passes from the Will Call Kiosks. You bring the credit card you used to purchase the passes, insert that, type in your confirmation number and the machine spits out your passes. Easy-Peasy!!!

Now park entry, on the other hand, did NOT go smoothly. All week.

They have a finger scan system which seriously only works for about half the people going though. Some of it is user error- people who are using the wrong finger, or they remove their finger too soon, or press too hard (or too lightly) or really are just not bright enough to be out in public. You end up playing line roulette- you try to pick out the line that has the least likelihood to have a moron or large clueless group ahead of you. But it is not just the guests. Sometimes it is the machines when they get smudged. And to add to the mayhem, the finger scans do not work well in cold.

If you get behind someone who can’t get the finger scan to activate, you are held hostage in line. You don’t move until they do. No options just to go around to another machine. This is really frustrating when you know that you will be able to get the green light first time you try, once you are given the opportunity.

It took us about 10 minutes to get through the turnstiles which is really quite ridiculous at 4:30 in the afternoon!

But now we were in, and I needed to redeem my Photo Connect Star Card (Think Memory Maker). I purchased the Annual Photo Card for $50 before the price went up this year. This gives you a digital download of all of the ride photos and any photos with characters or at special places throughout the park. There are not that many photographers located throughout the parks (mostly at the entrance/exit), but I love having access to the ride photos.

My paper work said to bring my order form to any photographer and they would get me my Photo Connect Card. So I stopped the first photographer I saw, right outside the photo store and showed her my form, with the scan bar. She had no idea what to do, so she went into the very crowded photo store and asked one of the counter people to help. She said I would not have to wait in line, but I didn’t want to cut in front of the people who were there, so we just moved on. I figured I could just take care of it when we did the first ride, which is the traditional first ride in US for us.

We walked through some of the Mardi Gras areas on the way

[/URL
]

[URL=http://s657.photobucket.com/user/natebenma/media/Universal%202015/DSCF5254.jpg.html]

Although we were there for 4 nights, we never actually saw any Mardi Gras activities. Maybe they all take place on the weekend. We did just miss a concert by Bare Naked Ladies, who performed on Sunday night, the night before our arrival. I have seen them twice in concert and they are awesome!

We arrived at my favorite ride of all time (Sorry Big Thunder)- Revenge of the Mummy!

Plunge into total darkness on this indoor rollercoaster as you face fireballs, scarab beetles and an army of warrior mummies. This ride has a Single Rider Line and requires lockers for loose articles.

The special effects on this ride are amazing, and there was one effect that I had never noticed before (in the control room scene). This ride does not disappoint! But it does go backwards and has some very jerky starts and stops, so if that bothers you, you should probably skip it.

I have no photos from inside the ride due to Universal’s very strict no photo inside attractions policy. Now while Disney discourages photos in many rides, especially flash photography, Universal outright forbids it. No flash pictures, no non-flash pictures, if you even THINK about your camera on a ride, you get yelled at!

I do have our ride photo as well as a couple of stock photos that came with our photo connect card in 2013:

[/URL
]

[URL=http://s657.photobucket.com/user/natebenma/media/Universal%202015/USF1.jpg.html][/URL
]

[URL=http://s657.photobucket.com/user/natebenma/media/Universal%202015/USF3.jpg.html]

************************************************************************************

Since we had such a long travel day and only had sandwiches on the plane and a few snacks since breakfast, we were ready to eat when we were finished with Mummy.

I don’t know what the attraction for Lombard’s is for the boys. It is a San Francisco themed seafood restaurant, but I don’t find the theming to be compelling. The first time we went there we had a table right in front the aquarium, which we all loved. The food really hit the spot. On our last visit, they put us upstairs in a very formal looking room that really didn’t do anything for us theming-wise. So I was surprised when we were discussing lunch options for our first day and both boys said “Lombard’s, of course! But sitting downstairs”

Here are some picture from our past trips:

[/URL
]

[URL=http://s657.photobucket.com/user/natebenma/media/Hijinks%20Trip%20Report/Lombards/P1150042.jpg.html][/URL
]

2011:

2013:

[URL=http://s657.photobucket.com/user/natebenma/media/Hijinks%20Trip%20Report/Lombards/DSCF0365.jpg.html][/URL
]

[URL=http://s657.photobucket.com/user/natebenma/media/Hijinks%20Trip%20Report/Lombards/DSCF0361.jpg.html][/URL
]

It was about 5 pm when we walked into the entrance of Lombard’s.

“Party of 4”

“Do you have a reservation?”

“No” I answered, looking into the empty restaurant.

“We are only seating people with reservations”

“We are staying onsite- do we have preferred seating?”

“Yes. If you have a reservation.”

We walked back out. Fortunately, I had a Plan B.
[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]

Attachments

• DSCF5250.jpg
    DSCF5250.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Great! Got your update in just in time for me to read it while eating my lunch! My DD was one of those people who never got the fingerprint scanner to work for our entire trip in November. Every time we entered either park there was an issue. Not sure if she had something on her fingers when they did the initial scan (hello Cinnabon frosting!) or if she was just in such a hurry to get in there that she smudged the first one... Anyway, it was a real pita and one that I anticipate having to deal with again and again when we go back in April since we'll be using those same passes. Note to all, if you happen to see a cute blond pony-tailed 12 year old with a Spiderman tank top and an awesome looking Mom with a big a**...camera and a Boston accent, do not get in line behind us.

Great! Got your update in just in time for me to read it while eating my lunch! My DD was one of those people who never got the fingerprint scanner to work for our entire trip in November. Every time we entered either park there was an issue. Not sure if she had something on her fingers when they did the initial scan (hello Cinnabon frosting!) or if she was just in such a hurry to get in there that she smudged the first one... Anyway, it was a real pita and one that I anticipate having to deal with again and again when we go back in April since we'll be using those same passes. Note to all, if you happen to see a cute blond pony-tailed 12 year old with a Spiderman tank top and an awesome looking Mom with a big a**...camera and a Boston accent, do not get in line behind us.

That stinks!

See if they will let her rescan her finger. They may require proof of her identity, or perhaps just confirmation of who you are.

:thumbsup2

Wow - that mirror is really creepy! But the other one is really fun - love it! Interesting to see the differences between CL at Disney resorts and HRH. I think our boys would love those afternoon snack offerings - nothing like a "free" package of chips! We're at the stage where creative, homemade snacks and treats are just for home - otherwise, packaged stuff is a big hit. Like the breakfast mimosa - Disney should pick up on that one!

Is Mummy like DL's Indiana Jones? Kind of looks like it from the description/photos. Our youngest really wants to get back to Universal. But first, we probably need a day at Legoland. His brothers did Legoland in California before he was born, and now we're going to take one for the team and go back for him. I have a feeling Disney and Universal hotels are just a wee bit better than the new Legoland Hotel . . .

Too funny about the reaction to CL. "Cool" without exclamation point made me laugh. While our teens are enthusiastic for their age, not much gets a big "woo hoo!" Except, of course, from our youngest. So that's one of the reasons I love taking him to Disney - getting those last few "woo hoos!" with some good, solid jumps up and down before it all turns into, "That's really cool. I really like that."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter