• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

Just returned from a great stay at POR! This was our first trip during the summer (we've always visited in the winter) and even though the crowds were big, it wasn't as bad as I'd imagined.

We had a pool view room and I had faxed and asked for a corner room in AB building 18. We did get the corner room but ended up in AB building 35. As others have posted, the walk to the main pool and lobby/food court from some of the AB buildings is long, especially in the summer heat! In fact, we never used the main pool and just swam in the quiet pool.

Luckily we had our car with us so we would actually drive (with the a/c blasting!) to the food court and main bus depot every day. That extra long walk was just too much in the heat and humidity after a long day in the parks.

Housekeeping wasn't as good as usual. One day we didn't get any shampoo/conditioner/soap. Another day the garbage wasn't emptied. On our arrival, there was toilet paper on the floor in the bathroom, along with some crumbs, which stayed there for two days. No towel animals at all which is a first.

Lines for the bus weren't too bad. In fact, one evening my daughter and I were the only ones on the bus to the MK! Food court was very busy but we always managed to find a table.

Now that we've stayed in both AB and Magnolia, I much prefer the RR riverview in the mansion section. The theming is lovely in AB and the quiet pools are great there, but in the future we'll book a RR.

See the first post in this thread for link to a free online faxing service in case you ever need it in the future (www.gotfreefax.com). And for more info still (2,000+ words on the subject) try www.portorleans.org/room-requests.php.

While obviously requests are still not guaranteed, the success rate at Port Orleans tends to be very, very good. And check on a map to see where you have been allocated before you even leave the front desk - you can always ask them to check again from the new pool of ready rooms which will have become available in the meantime (since yours would have been issued a little while earlier). As a DISer and a portorleans.org visitor you should hopefully have enough extra fore-knowledge to be a bit more savvy that the average guest.

Andre

The information you have provided on this site as well as portorleans.org has been invaluable to me in my obsessive planning state. I'm so very thankful. :worship:

last time we were at POR, the fishing holw was closed. anyone now if it is open again? we will be there in early sept. how much does is cost? thanks!

also, we will be at all star music for 5 nights before our stay at por. is there a way they can send a fax for us from Music to POR for a room request? we do not have any access to internet away fro home ( no lap top, no smart phone)

last time we were at POR, the fishing holw was closed. anyone now if it is open again? we will be there in early sept. how much does is cost? thanks!

Not sure if it's open, but here are the details from portorleans.org

Cane Pole Fishing
<p class='warning'>Please enable Javascript!</p>
Relaxin’ at the secluded Fishin’ Hole on Ol’ Man Island

Port Orleans Riverside features an old-fashioned Fishin’ Hole that’s fun for the whole family, located on Ol’ Man Island just behind the Muddy Rivers pool bar. The fishing hole is open from 7:00am until 1:45pm (last poles hired out at 1:15pm) and is stocked with catfish, blue gill and bass. Children under the age of 12 must be accompanied by an adult. All fishing at Walt Disney World Resort property is “catch and release” only, but you’re welcome to take pictures to prevent those “one that got away” stories later.

The Fishin’ Hole is now sponsored by lets-go-fishing.org.

Cane Pole Fishing

Family (up to 6 people)
30 mins $12.50 w/tax $13.32
Individual 30 mins $4.00 w/tax $4.26
Price includes cane poles, bait (hot dogs and worms) and dock time

thaks dansdad! hoping it's open again.! we were also looking into the bass fishing excursion. I guess that is $270 a person, before any discounts? yikes

thaks dansdad! hoping it's open again.! we were also looking into the bass fishing excursion. I guess that is $270 a person, before any discounts? yikes

You're welcome. And the Bass Fishing Excursion is $270 total for up to 5 people for 2 hours.

We had a pool view room and I had faxed and asked for a corner room in AB building 18. We did get the corner room but ended up in AB building 35.

There are only two pool view corner rooms in building 18 (ground 1828 and upper 1860) so that would have been a hard one for them to pull off if those rooms were already occupied at the time of your stay. At least you got your pool view/corner anyway, even though building 35 is about as far away as you can get from the main areas.

I assume you explained why you were asking for 18, rather than just giving a building number, so they would know what else to look for? Unfortunately all of the pool view rooms in AB (apart from those very few in building 18) are quite a distance from the main buildings, so if they assumed you wanted AB specifically (because of your request for 18) that may have meant they didn't check the mansions for closer rooms.

Andre

In one week we will be checking back in to POR!!! I'm so excited :banana:
I just got done typing up my room request fax - I tend to be pretty wordy, so I tried not to ramble, and then summarized my requests at the end haha! Really hoping for building 16 in AB, first floor. We will probably spend more time at the resort than the parks, and my son loves to go hang at the food court and just watch the water wheel, so hoping we are close enough to make frequent trips there. I did mention my son's disability as a reason for the requests - honestly hoping for maybe a little extra pixie dust since the requests are directly related to his issues! But I'm determined to be happy no matter where we end up - it's Disney World, after all!!:thumbsup2

Now that we've stayed in both AB and Magnolia, I much prefer the RR riverview in the mansion section. The theming is lovely in AB and the quiet pools are great there, but in the future we'll book a RR.

My family won't let me book anything other than a riverview RR much less a different resort.

Not sure if it's open, but here are the details from portorleans.org

Cane Pole Fishing
<p class='warning'>Please enable Javascript!</p>
Relaxin’ at the secluded Fishin’ Hole on Ol’ Man Island

Port Orleans Riverside features an old-fashioned Fishin’ Hole that’s fun for the whole family, located on Ol’ Man Island just behind the Muddy Rivers pool bar. The fishing hole is open from 7:00am until 1:45pm (last poles hired out at 1:15pm) and is stocked with catfish, blue gill and bass. Children under the age of 12 must be accompanied by an adult. All fishing at Walt Disney World Resort property is “catch and release” only, but you’re welcome to take pictures to prevent those “one that got away” stories later.

The Fishin’ Hole is now sponsored by lets-go-fishing.org.

Cane Pole Fishing

Family (up to 6 people)
30 mins $12.50 w/tax $13.32
Individual 30 mins $4.00 w/tax $4.26
Price includes cane poles, bait (hot dogs and worms) and dock time
Those prices are incorrect. I just walked past the fishing hole. It is $6.39 per pole per half an hr or $15.98 family special per half hour. Price includes sales tax.

You're welcome. And the Bass Fishing Excursion is $270 total for up to 5 people for 2 hours.

now we only need to find 3 more people! lol I'm wondering.. if only hubby want to do it, will they put him with other people?(like the pirates fireworks cruise?) or are you booking the trip just for your party? so if we were there and another couple, would we split the $270?

thanks for taking the time to answer all my questions dan!!! :)

now we only need to find 3 more people! lol I'm wondering.. if only hubby want to do it, will they put him with other people?(like the pirates fireworks cruise?) or are you booking the trip just for your party? so if we were there and another couple, would we split the $270?

thanks for taking the time to answer all my questions dan!!! :)

You are just booking for your party. So if you wanted to split the cost with another group/family, you would have to arrange that yourself.

There are only two pool view corner rooms in building 18 (ground 1828 and upper 1860) so that would have been a hard one for them to pull off if those rooms were already occupied at the time of your stay. At least you got your pool view/corner anyway, even though building 35 is about as far away as you can get from the main areas.

I assume you explained why you were asking for 18, rather than just giving a building number, so they would know what else to look for? Unfortunately all of the pool view rooms in AB (apart from those very few in building 18) are quite a distance from the main buildings, so if they assumed you wanted AB specifically (because of your request for 18) that may have meant they didn't check the mansions for closer rooms.

Andre

The cast member at the front desk was very helpful and really did try to get us closer to the main building but there was nothing available. I did explain why I wanted building 18 but I knew that in the summer the resort was probably going to be pretty full and wasn't holding out hope for that building. I was happy we had the corner room and the pool view. The pool was literally steps from our room....perfect for the hot Florida summer!

The August 2015 Recreation Activities and Movie Schedules for Port Orleans Riverside are now available. See my main Recreation Activities Schedules page for full-size printable PDF versions.

The evening campfires will commence at 7pm this month and the Movies Under the Stars will be screened at 9pm daily at both resorts. The feature swimming pool opening hours are 9am—11pm.

Continuing this month: Splash into summer with the Disney Junior Pool Party featuring music and activities from some of your favourite Disney Junior shows. Join in with awesome activities and games such as Sofia Says, Doc McStuffins Trivia, sing-alongs and much more!

POR-Rec-2015-08.jpg

Andre

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter