Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

Sorry, that's Vegas talk for giving a tip at check in in between your ID an credit card for a room upgrade, but it looks like with 5 people i have too many for an upgraded room anyway.

Disney front desk staff are not allowed to accept tips, so even if it did work for someone, if they got found out the CM would probably be fired. I think upgrades have to be okayed by the room inventory back-office team anyway, the regular checkin cast members don't have the authority.

If you've booked a Preferred Room with five people, your only real upgrade path would be to an Alligator Bayou Pool View or Alligator Bayou River View room anyway (there are some of those in the same buildings as the Preferred rooms, should you want to try for them and still keep a convenient location). The pricing structure makes it hard to determine what is an upgrade anyway these days, for example Pool View can be more expensive than River View sometimes.

Personally, I would suggest you'd do far better by asking if there are any upgrades to River View Rooms in buildings 14 or 27 available, and offer to pay any price difference. The backroom team might be able to find you a suitable room, and I very much doubt you'd actually be charged anything extra but at least you offered.

Andre

Last edited:
This is a great thread! I'm so excited for our upcoming trip! Last time I stayed at POR, it was Dixie Landings! Has it changed much since then?

Had anyone been to POR really recently? I am curious what the average wait time is to catch the water taxi to DTD. Is it always/often packed and we should plan excessive time to get there? TIA

Had anyone been to POR really recently? I am curious what the average wait time is to catch the water taxi to DTD. Is it always/often packed and we should plan excessive time to get there? TIA

Depends on time of day, how busy the resort is, and a ton of other factors. From 4pm onwards they run boats every 10 mins (prior to that it's every 20 mins) but you can still find the queue can often be more than will fit onto the next boat (remember they leave a few seats empty for guests wanting to board at French Quarter). It's rare to have to wait for more than the second boat to come along, but it can happen.

Andre

Just back from a 6 night stay at POR in the AB section. This was our first stay at a moderate. In the past we've stayed at WL, BC, and Swan and Dolphin as well as some offsite stays at Marriot timeshare villas. I was a little worried about staying at a mod, but the price was right at $170 a night so I figured it was worth a try. Overall, it was a good stay but we decided in the end it was not a resort we would go back to as we preferred the other resorts. Here are my pros and cons.

Pros:
-price (as mentioned) very affordable for a family of 5
-room was very smartly laid out, with great attention to detail and had everything we needed. Loved the fridge, the comfy queen beds, and the separate toilet/shower area from the sinks which was great for getting ready in the morning
-the resort was very attractive on the outside, with shady paths and nice landscaping
-LOVED LOVED LOVED the slightly noisy air conditioner!! I know sounds crazy but we need some white noise when sleeping all together in one room so to have the nice humming of the AC was such a blessing and helped us all sleep much better. I did add some extra white noise from my sleep pillow app on my ipad but it really wasn't necessary. More on the AC in the cons however....
-also loved the ceiling fan. I need air movement when I sleep and we have ceiling fans at home so this was a welcome touch.
-we traveled with another family and my request for connecting rooms was granted so that was so nice to have the door open between our rooms which allowed us to go back and forth between the rooms easily and the kids could go in each others rooms to play. It was just convenient and great that the request was granted
-ME from the airport was wonderful. Quick and easy and a fun ride. This was the first time I used this service
-Magic bands were wonderful as well and worked perfectly
-Room was very clean and was cleaned very early each day so always ready when we returned from the parks in the afternoons

Cons:
-This resort is HUGE and very spread out. We were in building 39 which felt like miles away from the main pool and the food court. We made the walk only once on the first day and I was dripping wet from sweat after going back and forth. Not how I want to start my day! Felt like I needed another shower before heading to the parks. Not fun. So we never used the food court at all after the first day. Same thing for the main pool. After marching around the parks all day no one wanted to walk over to the pool once back at the resort. we had a quiet pool outside our building which we used once but it was kind of boring for the kids (we have a pool at home so they look forward to resort pools with different features). We also overheard people at the pool openly saying they were not staying at the resort and just came to use the pools and the bus and the boat to get to the parks and to downtown Disney! This was a little odd to me. I remember at the BC they had people checking to make sure you had proof you were a resort guest before entering the pool area so it felt a little sketchy to me that there were these other people just there hanging at the pool.
-The bus......what can I say. We were closest to the west depot which was nice as it was usually the first stop so we usually got a seat. But then it stopped at the north depot, then south depot (was there an east depot? I forgot!) but it seemed to take forever to just leave the resort! We did not have a monitor at the west depot so it seemed so random as to what busses would show up. On an EMH day at AK, busses kept coming for HS! 3 in a row! Having said that we rarely waited more than 10-15 mins for busses, even leaving the parks. But the busses were crowded and we came to realize that we prefer resorts that have other options for transportation, even if just for some of the parks. I missed the boats at the other resorts. We have never stayed at a monorail resort so I can't really compare. But we just got tired of buses.
-The fold down bed was kind of hard according to my daughter. She's 5-4, and she fit fine on it but she found it too hard so we ended up using an aero bed we had packed just in case. The bed fit fine next to the AC unit when we moved the table over a little.
-Nothing special from housekeeping, no towel animals or cute arrangements of the kids stuffed animals. But the rooms were clean, which is essentially the job of housekeeping so this is not much of a con.
-The AC while good never reached the 65 that I set it to. Even at night it only got to 68. we were fine and actually my kids were chilly and asked for extra blankets! But I would have liked it colder (did I mention how hot I was this whole trip? LOL!)
-No elevators! We were on the second floor and after the long walks to the bus, from the bus to top it off by climbing a flight of stairs was just awful. Did I mention how hot I was even at midnight?
-Finally, I will just say again that there was so much walking at this resort, even to the bus stop. Also because all the walking is outside you just felt it more. It was super super hot last week so every bit of exertion made you sweat like crazy and we were all just soaking wet all the time it seemed! It was a long walk to the busses at the parks, then another long walk to your room when we got to the resort, sometimes after standing for the whole ride home on the bus. Our feet were all killing us! I know we've had long walks to our rooms, especially down those long halls at the BC but at least you are inside in the AC so it seems better.

So overall the resort is very nice and it was clean and affordable. But for us I prefer something a little smaller with interior corridors and different options for transportation. I didn't feel we took enough advantage of being at a Disney resort. It felt more like we were at a nice Hampton Inn, which is not bad but not what I usually look for in my Disney vacation.

-

Last edited:
Just back from a 6 night stay at POR in the AB section. This was our first stay at a moderate. In the past we've stayed at WL, BC, and Swan and Dolphin as well as some offsite stays at Marriot timeshare villas. I was a little worried about staying at a mod, but the price was right at $170 a night so I figured it was worth a try. Overall, it was a good stay but we decided in the end it was not a resort we would go back to as we preferred the other resorts. Here are my pros and cons.

Pros:
-room was very smartly laid out, with great attention to detail and had everything we needed. Loved the fridge, the comfy queen beds, and the separate toilet/shower area from the sinks which was great for getting ready in the morning
-the resort was very attractive on the outside, with shady paths and nice landscaping
-LOVED LOVED LOVED the slightly noisy air conditioner!! I know sounds crazy but we need some white noise when sleeping all together in one room so to have the nice humming of the AC was such a blessing and helped us all sleep much better. I did add some extra white noise from my sleep pillow app on my ipad but it really wasn't necessary. More on the AC in the cons however....
-also loved the ceiling fan. I need air movement when I sleep and we have ceiling fans at home so this was a welcome touch.
-we traveled with another family and my request for connecting rooms was granted so that was so nice to have the door open between our rooms which allowed us to go back and forth between the rooms easily and the kids could go in each others rooms to play. It was just convenient and great that the request was granted
-ME from the airport was wonderful. Quick and easy and a fun ride. This was the first time I used this service
-Room was very clean and was cleaned very early each day so always ready when we returned from the parks in the afternoons

Cons:
-This resort is HUGE and very spread out. We were in building 39 which felt like miles away from the main pool and the food court. We made the walk only once on the first day and I was dripping wet from sweat after going back and forth. Not how I want to start my day! Felt like I needed another shower before heading to the parks. Not fun. So we never used the food court at all after the first day. Same thing for the main pool. After marching around the parks all day no one wanted to walk over to the pool once back at the resort. we had a quiet pool outside our building which we used once but it was kind of boring for the kids (we have a pool at home so they look forward to resort pools with different features). We also overheard people at the pool openly saying they were not staying at the resort and just came to use the pools and the bus and the boat to get to the parks and to downtown Disney! This was a little odd to me. I remember at the BC they had people checking to make sure you had proof you were a resort guest before entering the pool area so it felt a little sketchy to me that there were these other people just there hanging at the pool.
-The bus......what can I say. We were closest to the west depot which was nice as it was usually the first stop so we usually got a seat. But then it stopped at the north depot, then south depot (was there an east depot? I forgot!) but it seemed to take forever to just leave the resort! We did not have a monitor at the west depot so it seemed so random as to what busses would show up. On an EMH day at AK, busses kept coming for HS! 3 in a row! Having said that we rarely waited more than 10-15 mins for busses, even leaving the parks. But the busses were crowded and we came to realize that we prefer resorts that have other options for transportation, even if just for some of the parks. I missed the boats at the other resorts. We have never stayed at a monorail resort so I can't really compare. But we just got tired of buses.
-The fold down bed was kind of hard according to my daughter. She's 5-4, and she fit fine on it but she found it too hard so we ended up using an aero bed we had packed just in case. The bed fit fine next to the AC unit when we moved the table over a little.
-Nothing special from housekeeping, no towel animals or cute arrangements of the kids stuffed animals. But the rooms were clean, which is essentially the job of housekeeping so this is not much of a con.
-The AC while good never reached the 65 that I set it to. Even at night it only got to 68. we were fine and actually my kids were chilly and asked for extra blankets! But I would have liked it colder (did I mention how hot I was this whole trip? LOL!)
-Finally, I will just say again that there was so much walking at this resort, even to the bus stop. Also because all the walking is outside you just felt it more. It was super super hot last week so every bit of exertion made you sweat like crazy and we were all just soaking wet all the time it seemed! It was a long walk to the busses at the parks, then another long walk to your room when we got to the resort, sometimes after standing for the whole ride home on the bus. Our feet were all killing us! I know we've had long walks to our rooms, especially down those long halls at the BC but at least you are inside in the AC so it seems better.

So overall the resort is very nice and it was clean and affordable. But for us I prefer something a little smaller with interior corridors and different options for transportation. I didn't feel we took enough advantage of being at a Disney resort. It felt more like we were at a nice Hampton Inn, which is not bad but not what I usually look for in my Disney vacation.

-
I was concerned about th long walks to pool and main area for food. I have 2 little ones and we between buses and walking at resort it's prob gonna be a huge waste of time to take a break during the day :/

I was concerned about th long walks to pool and main area for food. I have 2 little ones and we between buses and walking at resort it's prob gonna be a huge waste of time to take a break during the day :/
We took a break the first day and found it just took too long between waiting for the buses, then walking to the room. We had planned to swim but once we got to the room everyone just wanted to lay down, which was fine but I kept thinking I didn't come to Disney to take naps lol! So the rest of the days we ended up getting a little later start so we were not up at the crack of dawn and just tried to take breaks in the parks like sitting down in an air conditioned space for a bit or just sitting in the shade with some ice cream or cold drinks.

Pros:

Cons:
-No elevators! We were on the second floor and after the long walks to the bus, from the bus to top it off by climbing a flight of stairs was just awful. Did I mention how hot I was even at midnight?

-
We are here now, Bldg 38 and I agree with every single one of your points. I have stayed here before, so I requested mansions bldg 85, closest to main pool and main bldg. We got put in AB bldg 38. :confused3

We took a break the first day and found it just took too long between waiting for the buses, then walking to the room. We had planned to swim but once we got to the room everyone just wanted to lay down, which was fine but I kept thinking I didn't come to Disney to take naps lol! So the rest of the days we ended up getting a little later start so we were not up at the crack of dawn and just tried to take breaks in the parks like sitting down in an air conditioned space for a bit or just sitting in the shade with some ice cream or cold drinks.
Thanks for your post def will do some more planning:) we are a family of 5 so I know we will be in AB.

Just back from a 6 night stay at POR in the AB section.
Cons:
-This resort is HUGE and very spread out. We were in building 39 which felt like miles away from the main pool and the food court.
-The bus......what can I say. We were closest to the west depot which was nice as it was usually the first stop so we usually got a seat. But then it stopped at the north depot, then south depot (was there an east depot? I forgot!) but it seemed to take forever to just leave the resort!
-

There are four bus stops at Riverside, which does pose a dilemma... if you get on at the first pickup point you are almost certain to get a seat, but there will then be three further stops (the drive between each one is about two minutes by the way; I've timed it on many occasions). Plus possibly a further stop at French Quarter (for AK and DTD buses). And it also varies by park as to what order the stops occur (see http://www.portorleans.org/buses.php for the normal routes for each park at different times of the day). The other option is to get on at the last stop, which gives a quicker ride to the park but more likelihood of the bus being standing-room-only. And again, you need to know which route the bus you want will be taking. In short, it's not easy to work out the best option.

Building 39 is one of the furthest locations, which is why I always suggest people make requests by fax if they are concerned about the distances, or book Preferred Location of course. The worst possible case is about 500 yards walk (6 minutes or so walking) which doesn't sound a lot until you try to do it in the Florida sun, when it seems ten times as far.

We are here now, Bldg 38 and I agree with every single one of your points. I have stayed here before, so I requested mansions bldg 85, closest to main pool and main bldg. We got put in AB bldg 38. :confused3

Did you fax in a request 3-5 days before arrival, as we always suggest here? The success rate of doing that is usually excellent. However if you just reply on notes via the Reservations Center, it seems a bit more hit and miss. 38 is not too a bad location along the riverbank pathway though, or maybe over the Island.

Andre

I actually made 3 requests both on my reservation and via fax 3 days before arrival....close to main building, connecting rooms and ground floor. I got 1 out of the 3, connecting rooms, which I was so happy about.

I'll admit I kind of downplayed the walking in my mind when I was planning this trip. We are relatively young healthy people who exercise,run, bike, and walk regularly at home and enjoy a nice walk usually. So in looking on line at the maps I didn't think that it would be such a big deal to have to walk a little to get places at the resort. Boy was I wrong!

I think I didn't factor in the heat and how tired we would be from all the walking in the parks too. It was so draining and took a lot of the enjoyment out of our trip unfortunately. Maybe at a different time of year I would feel differently.

Did you fax in a request 3-5 days before arrival, as we always suggest here? The success rate of doing that is usually excellent. However if you just reply on notes via the Reservations Center, it seems a bit more hit and miss. 38 is not too a bad location along the riverbank pathway though, or maybe over the Island.

Andre
I don't have access to a fax machine. I made the requests when I booked. I would have booked preferred, but it wasn't an option. I don't think I'd stay here again, because the resort is too big and too spread out. This is my third stay at POR and will be my last.

I've been wondering what the new process is now that Disney is not giving resort guests parking passes to put in your car's window. Now you just use your magic band to get into the resort parking lot. How is security going to know which cars belong to guests staying at the resort vs guests just visiting?
We stayed at POR earlier this month & were given a parking pass to display in our car window.

On 2 of our park days earlier this month we came back to our room at POR, rested for a couple of hours, showered then went for early dinner at other resorts, then went back to parks. We really felt the benefit of the breaks during the day.

We also overheard people at the pool openly saying they were not staying at the resort and just came to use the pools and the bus and the boat to get to the parks and to downtown Disney! This was a little odd to me. I remember at the BC they had people checking to make sure you had proof you were a resort guest before entering the pool area so it felt a little sketchy to me that there were these other people just there hanging at the pool.

That's not good--it's rather frustrating that we pay for these perks but others are taking them for free. It also makes it feel less secure. I know this is an issue at all the WDW resorts though, and not just POR.

I don't have access to a fax machine. I made the requests when I booked. I would have booked preferred, but it wasn't an option. I don't think I'd stay here again, because the resort is too big and too spread out. This is my third stay at POR and will be my last.

Always fax, always get has been our experience. Never an issue at POR for us. Except that time during hurricane in the 90s when store ran out of wine. Dixie Landing then. B-A-D. Had to settle for River Roost.

I don't have access to a fax machine.

See the first post in this thread for link to a free online faxing service in case you ever need it in the future (www.gotfreefax.com). And for more info still (2,000+ words on the subject) try www.portorleans.org/room-requests.php.

While obviously requests are still not guaranteed, the success rate at Port Orleans tends to be very, very good. And check on a map to see where you have been allocated before you even leave the front desk - you can always ask them to check again from the new pool of ready rooms which will have become available in the meantime (since yours would have been issued a little while earlier). As a DISer and a portorleans.org visitor you should hopefully have enough extra fore-knowledge to be a bit more savvy that the average guest.

Andre

Last edited:
See the first post in this thread for link to a free online faxing service in case you ever need it in the future (www.gotfreefax.com). And for more info still (2,000+ words on the subject) try www.portorleans.org/room-requests.php.

While obviously requests are still not guaranteed, the success rate at Port Orleans tends to be very, very good. And check on a map to see where you have been allocated before you even leave the front desk - you can always ask them to check again from the new pool of ready rooms which will have become available in the meantime (since yours would have been issued a little while earlier). As a DISer and a portorleans.org visitor you should hopefully have enough extra fore-knowledge to be a bit more savvy that the average guest.

Andre
I've been here 4 days, haven't been to the front desk yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter