• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney tour guide tells what is going to happen at studios

1. As someone who is completely artistically challenged, I beg to differ. The experience of sitting in the room and knowing other people are struggling too or be able to hear someone tell me it's okay and it'll come out looking okay is not the same experience as watching on YouTube. And sometimes you are paying for the experience. Heck they sell books that tell you how to draw the characters but I still fail miserably with that.

Also, it is a unique "experience/attraction". I bet if it were in MK and not buried in some obscure corner of DHS it would have much larger numbers.

OK - I was somewhat exaggerating, it's not the same experience as drawing it at home. But my point being, unlike riding Pirates of the Caribbean, you CAN draw characters at home.

FYI. there IS this same experience at DCA in California. We did it as well there (because my wife loves it) and while they don't have the light tables it is very similar. It's in a much less obscure location than in DHS. In fact, there is a sign outside listing the times for which character is being drawn when, so you can come at specific times to draw your character you want. The room is a little larger, and at least when we experienced it it was not even close to full and there was no wait. (You an also do basically the same thing at DisneyQuest, except you draw on a tablet. The nice thing about that one is you can erase if you screw up. Unfortunately, that one will be disappearing too.)

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying that anyone shouldn't like the experience, nor am I hoping that it doesn't return - in fact I would like to see it return in a similar setting. (I like the lightboards at DHS much better than the lap desks at DCA.) It's a fun if minor experience, I regard it as a time filler, but all the parks should have small minor attractions like this to give you variety and options.

if the experience is closing, they arent going to replace it they are going to fill the building with offices and backstage stuff because that is what is being taken away at what was the backlot tour and soundstage one area. and actually this building would be perfect for that.

OK - I was somewhat exaggerating, it's not the same experience as drawing it at home. But my point being, unlike riding Pirates of the Caribbean, you CAN draw characters at home.

FYI. there IS this same experience at DCA in California. We did it as well there (because my wife loves it) and while they don't have the light tables it is very similar. It's in a much less obscure location than in DHS. In fact, there is a sign outside listing the times for which character is being drawn when, so you can come at specific times to draw your character you want. The room is a little larger, and at least when we experienced it it was not even close to full and there was no wait. (You an also do basically the same thing at DisneyQuest, except you draw on a tablet. The nice thing about that one is you can erase if you screw up. Unfortunately, that one will be disappearing too.)

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying that anyone shouldn't like the experience, nor am I hoping that it doesn't return - in fact I would like to see it return in a similar setting. (I like the lightboards at DHS much better than the lap desks at DCA.) It's a fun if minor experience, I regard it as a time filler, but all the parks should have small minor attractions like this to give you variety and options.
And it provides something else to do in a park that is severely lacking.

I kind of agree that doing it in the park is quite a bit different than at home. To be fair you could watch a video of Pirates of the Caribbean at home too. It's not the same of course but neither is the drawing class.

I actually feel a little more sympathetic to those who are sorry to see it go now.

About 6-10 months ago, we had a big debate going on about general improvements and desired improvements going into the costs of individual rides. In there, we ferreted out that major E-ticket rides run in the neighborhood of $100-120 million dollars, and you can reduce by $20 million for each level of ride (d-ticket at $80 million, etc.). If those costs are reasonably accurate (and a group of us thought they were), $2 billion could go as far as 20-30 attractions. Of course, there is a lot of demolition cost in DHS that isn't in those figures, so it wouldn't be quite as many attractions as that. I only bring that up because the OP mention of 11 potential attractions isn't that far out of the realm of possibility, and maybe even on the low side (counting restaurants, shows, etc.). Pulling from a few other threads, Disney appears to be pushing throughput on their attractions, so the Indy show probably isn't going anywhere in the near term due to its shear capacity of people.

It would be nice to see them expand the Indy presence (please, oh please mine cart ride!!!) with a Lucas expansion, but even if they don't, the shear volume of space they are creating leads me to think that the OP (even if the original source may not be an expert) may be right about the DHS expansion.

I doubt the 4 additional countries in EPCOT with all of the vacant space they have available in the front of the park to fill (imagination, innovations, desperate need to overhaul energy), but who knows. The space is there. Whatever they do, they need a few more attractions other than restaurants in World Showcase.

if the experience is closing, they arent going to replace it they are going to fill the building with offices and backstage stuff because that is what is being taken away at what was the backlot tour and soundstage one area. and actually this building would be perfect for that.
The building actually already has park offices

About 6-10 months ago, we had a big debate going on about general improvements and desired improvements going into the costs of individual rides. In there, we ferreted out that major E-ticket rides run in the neighborhood of $100-120 million dollars, and you can reduce by $20 million for each level of ride (d-ticket at $80 million, etc.). If those costs are reasonably accurate (and a group of us thought they were), $2 billion could go as far as 20-30 attractions. Of course, there is a lot of demolition cost in DHS that isn't in those figures, so it wouldn't be quite as many attractions as that. I only bring that up because the OP mention of 11 potential attractions isn't that far out of the realm of possibility, and maybe even on the low side (counting restaurants, shows, etc.). Pulling from a few other threads, Disney appears to be pushing throughput on their attractions, so the Indy show probably isn't going anywhere in the near term due to its shear capacity of people.

It would be nice to see them expand the Indy presence (please, oh please mine cart ride!!!) with a Lucas expansion, but even if they don't, the shear volume of space they are creating leads me to think that the OP (even if the original source may not be an expert) may be right about the DHS expansion.

I doubt the 4 additional countries in EPCOT with all of the vacant space they have available in the front of the park to fill (imagination, innovations, desperate need to overhaul energy), but who knows. The space is there. Whatever they do, they need a few more attractions other than restaurants in World Showcase.
Now to put it in perspective avatar is costing 600-700 million. 11 attractions isn't out of the question but I think 11 rides is and that's what the OP said.

This article is just about Disney buying the theme park rights for Marvel from Universal (not the parks themselves) - which I bet Universal would be happy to do IF (big if) Disney were prepared to meet their price demands.

Ultimately, just about anything is for sale if the price is right!

Now to put it in perspective avatar is costing 600-700 million. 11 attractions isn't out of the question but I think 11 rides is and that's what the OP said.

Avatar is 2 rides and a restaurant and a store though I think, isn't it? Plus the themed environment. That is still 2-3 attractions with two E-ticket rides. I would still say the OP has a chance of being correct. Keep in mind that there were rumors of them adding 3-6 carnival style rides, which would cost very little in grand scheme of things. They have something like that in AK. I personally hate that idea, but it doesn't make it impossible. You can get 11 rides fairly easily within that budget if you alter the perspective from 11 E-tickets to 2-3 E-tickets, and a whole bunch of B, C, D ticket rides, which cost substantially less to build.

Regardless, you are correct that it will be interesting to see what actually transpires.

I am sorry if my uncle doesn't work at Disney or if I am not a dis vet, but I found it interesting that it was said on the tour and they were discussing changes. I was excited that I could post a thread, and felt rumors was the appropriate forum. I apologize and will leave all post to the all knowing vets.

Thanks for posting! You said it was a rumor - no harm done. This is a rumor board! Unfortunately, people get provincial on here - like they are Walt Disney's heirs or something...

Avatar is 2 rides and a restaurant and a store though I think, isn't it? Plus the themed environment. That is still 2-3 attractions with two E-ticket rides. I would still say the OP has a chance of being correct. Keep in mind that there were rumors of them adding 3-6 carnival style rides, which would cost very little in grand scheme of things. They have something like that in AK. I personally hate that idea, but it doesn't make it impossible. You can get 11 rides fairly easily within that budget if you alter the perspective from 11 E-tickets to 2-3 E-tickets, and a whole bunch of B, C, D ticket rides, which cost substantially less to build.

Regardless, you are correct that it will be interesting to see what actually transpires.
Yes that is correct. The rumors for kiddie rides in DHS are still there and still likely because that park lacks those types of rides. I don't think we will get 11 new rides but definitely 11 new attractions.

I am sorry if my uncle doesn't work at Disney or if I am not a dis vet, but I found it interesting that it was said on the tour and they were discussing changes. I was excited that I could post a thread, and felt rumors was the appropriate forum. I apologize and will leave all post to the all knowing vets.
Thank you for posting! Rumors are rumors...I appreciate all the information :)

Respectfully,

I'm 100% sure that that your guide new nothing of strategic planning.

Nametags are just cogs in the machine...and known fibbers. It's a psychological effect to allow some self importance.

I don't think anyone is showing any vitriol towards you for posting (though it always seems to look that way due to lack of tact)...it's more symptomatic of the real situation...

And that is that few high level managers in Florida know anything about what's actually going on...let alone those farther out on the branches.

It's all just rumor spreading. Nobody giving tours in Orlando would have any clue.

I'm not a Star Wars person - so don't flame me! - but I can't help but wonder if one of the new Star Wars additions at DHS could be something similar to Mad T Party, an evening "party/club" area with a live band, bars, etc. Didn't that caterpillar or whatever in Star Wars have something to do with a nightclub?

Mad T Party is one of my FAVORITE things at DCA, so I'd love to see them bring that concept over to DHS even if it's Star Wars themed. The spend on infrastructure and theming wouldn't be cheap, but also wouldn't be as expensive as as new ride and it would still be a way to get guests to spend $$ at night before/after F!.

I'm not a Star Wars person - so don't flame me! - but I can't help but wonder if one of the new Star Wars additions at DHS could be something similar to Mad T Party, an evening "party/club" area with a live band, bars, etc. Didn't that caterpillar or whatever in Star Wars have something to do with a nightclub?

Mad T Party is one of my FAVORITE things at DCA, so I'd love to see them bring that concept over to DHS even if it's Star Wars themed. The spend on infrastructure and theming wouldn't be cheap, but also wouldn't be as expensive as as new ride and it would still be a way to get guests to spend $$ at night before/after F!.

Haha, the large caterpillar is Jabba the Hutt and the nightclub was actually his palace. Not important to someone who is not a fan, but I enjoyed the description! There is a famous bar in Star Wars -- The Chalmun's Cantina -- that would make a good starting point for such an attraction.

Having said that, I'd rather see that sort of thing at Disney Springs. I want HS packed with attractions and, begrudgingly, a few shops and restaurants.

Haha, the large caterpillar is Jabba the Hutt and the nightclub was actually his palace. Not important to someone who is not a fan, but I enjoyed the description! There is a famous bar in Star Wars -- The Chalmun's Cantina -- that would make a good starting point for such an attraction.

So - you're saying I was like 67% correct? I'll take it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter