Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friends - A Coast to Coast Adventure

When we got to Kidani Village, somebody called my name. It was somebody I know from the UK. I knew that she was at Walt Disney World, but thought she was staying at Bay Lake Tower. She was actually staying at Kidani Village for this part of the trip and we spent a short while catching up as we had not seen each other in a while. She then headed off to meet somebody and we went inside. We stopped by the front desk to get our transportation notice printed off. When I had spoken to Disney’s Magical Express a few weeks before the trip, I was advised that I would need to do so as this would not be automatically generated as this was a separate reservation from the one on which we arrived on and we were only staying at Kidani Village for one night. The cast member who assisted us could not really understand why this would be necessary, but printed it off for us anyway. Of course, when we woke up the next morning another transportation notice had been delivered and was hanging from our door.

We then headed up to our room. This time I had my requests met. I had requested high floor and Sunset Savannah and this is precisely what we got. Our luggage had not arrived so I did what I had been advised to do at All Star Music and contacted Bell Services. My luggage had not arrived and they placed me on hold while they checked if it had accidentally been delivered to Jambo House. It was not there either and I was asked to call back in an hour. It was early days yet so I was happy with this. I took some photos of our room and then made some coffee. We sat down on the balcony and drank our coffee. Initially we were just looking at an empty savannah, but soon some animals turned up right in front of us.

We enjoyed the view for a while and then I called Bell Services again. They still were none the wiser what had happened to our luggage, but the person I spoke to promised that she would make some phone calls and then get back to me. An hour later, I still had not heard back and I was promised another call-back. By this time, I was getting quite annoyed. Needless to say, the call-back never happened and our luggage had still not arrived. By then we had to make tracks. We had arranged to meet some people at the Victoria Falls Lounge at Jambo House and the time we had arranged to meet them was creeping closer. We set off. As we were leaving Kidani Village, I saw a van with luggage pull up. So I asked Graham to go ahead and I would catch up. This appeared to be the luggage from Disney’s Magical Express. I decided to go an speak to the person who was at the Bell Services desk outside to let her know that we were still waiting for a call-back and that we were now going to be out for the evening. She asked me to wait and 5 minutes later, she came back with a manager. In less than 5 minutes, he managed to achieve what others had failed to do in hours. He had established that All Star Music never sent our luggage. It was still sitting there. He advised that we would send over somebody from Kidani Village to go and collect it. He asked where we were going for dinner. I advised that we were just going to have drinks and some snacks at Victoria Falls Lounge. He asked if we had Magic Bands with charging privileges, which I confirmed. He advised that he would add $50 to our account and to go and enjoy ourselves. I had not expected this and it was most certainly not necessary. I just wanted to know where our luggage was.

I headed off and met up with Graham who had waited for me about halfway between Kidani and Jambo House. I told him what had transpired and he was impressed as well. We arrived at Jambo House a little behind schedule. We were supposed to meet a number of people, but only Susan and Simon had arrived. We explained what had happened and then we settled down. We ordered some drinks. Graham had a beer and I had a Margarita. We also had not eaten anything since our early lunch. Unfortunately the menu was somewhat limited as the kitchen was closed for refurbishment. Graham went with the artisanal cheeses - valdeon blue cheese, petit agour cheese, cabot clothbound cheddar cheese, marcona almonds, honeycomb, Egyptian flowers and wild strawberry gastrique. I had the breads and spreads, which consisted of oak-grilled poppadum, South African sea salt crisps, wheat pitas, house-made lavosh, lentil spinach spread, Kalamata olive hummus, sun-dried tomato hummus and mango chutney. The portion was huge and even though Graham did help me, I did not manage to finish it. We chatted about our respective trips and at some stage Paula, Amber and Andy arrived. We were also joined by my friend Michelle, who had picked up a Haunted Mansion Dooney and Bourke Pouchette for me and we had not managed to meet up before this evening so that she could give this to me. We had a lovely evening just chatting and relaxing in good company. The only drawback was that at one stage we were disturbed by persistent drumming in the lobby.

Eventually the time came to say goodbye. We walked back to Kidani Village. As we got there, the manager I spoke to earlier was standing outside the hotel. He asked if we had a good evening and confirmed that our luggage had arrived. He arranged for this to be delivered to our room. He was as good as his word. We only had enough time to get to the room and for me to put my stuff down before the luggage arrived. I did our online check in as we were now within 24 hours of departure. We got boarding passes, but we're not sitting together. This was strange as not that many seats were taken. I managed to change our seats. Then it was time to get ready to bed for the last time this holiday.

How nice scoring AK kidani village on your last night. This is one of my favorite resorts!

Olivias cafe is lovely isn't it. The food is great. Sadly Christmas day when we ate there the service was appalling. Mango kethup? I must try this! Sounds divine.

Whst a pretty cat! I just adore the Port Orlean resort. Prefering River side. The food court at French Quarter too much! I like the quiet laid back theme of River side.

I love your t shirt and that is a great photo of you and Graham at DHS.

What a shame re your luggague. Nice $50 credit though how kind. The staff at AK are amazing. Nice to see yoir friends. I am glad your luggague turned up eventually and that you rearranged your seats. Long flight to be seperated.

Great Kidani pics!

Thanks.

Looking forward to trying those rooms out this fall.

You are going to have a blast. We still prefer Jambo House over Kidani, but we really liked Kidani, too.

How nice scoring AK kidani village on your last night. This is one of my favorite resorts!

That was a bit of luck and we love the whole Animal Kingdom Lodge/ Villas complex.

Olivias cafe is lovely isn't it.

This is probably our favourite restaurant at Walt Disney World.

Sadly Christmas day when we ate there the service was appalling.

What a shame. Come to think of it, when we were there for Thanksgiving dinner in 2012, it was less than stellar, too.

Mango kethup? I must try this! Sounds divine.

It was utterly delicious.

I just adore the Port Orlean resort.

I really liked it, too. I would not mind staying there.

What a shame re your luggague. Nice $50 credit though how kind. The staff at AK are amazing.

I was well impressed with how the manager handled it. I was very relieved when the luggage turned up though especially as it transpired that the passports were in one of the pieces of luggage.

Corinna

How scary that your luggage went missing for so long! I'm glad that someone was finally able to straighten it out.

Isn't the Sunset Savannah lovely?

I must try that Olivia's sometime; ordering an app and sweet is right up my alley!

Except for the missing luggage, your last day was nice and relaxing.

How scary that your luggage went missing for so long! I'm glad that someone was finally able to straighten it out.

This is not an experience I care to repeat.

Isn't the Sunset Savannah lovely?

We liked it, but the Arusha Savannah is still my favourite.

I must try that Olivia's sometime; ordering an app and sweet is right up my alley!

You should. They do a lot of nice apps and the Key Lime Tart is to die for.

Corinna

Oh my about the missing luggage. Too bad the CMs didn't get the manager involved earlier... but how lovely to get that $50, very generous.

Your day of boat hopping and exploring sounds like great fun. Great that you were able to get into Olivia's. I have enjoyed the meals I've had there very much.

I love your savannah pictures, there's nothing like being able to watch the animals from your balcony.

Glad you were able to change seats to sit together going home.

Oh my about the missing luggage. Too bad the CMs didn't get the manager involved earlier

Indeed. I also fail to see why it took a manager to find out what had happened to the luggage. If he could pick up the phone, call All Star Music and find out straightaway where the luggage was, then why could the other cast members not do this?

but how lovely to get that $50, very generous.

Your day of boat hopping and exploring sounds like great fun.

It was a lovely relaxing day.

I love your savannah pictures, there's nothing like being able to watch the animals from your balcony.

There really is not.

Glad you were able to change seats to sit together going home.

This actually turned out to be one of the best flights I ever had.

Corinna

Day 19

Suddenly the sad day of leaving had arrived. We got up around 8:30 as I was hoping to spend some time on the balcony enjoying the animals. Unfortunately we were out of luck. There were no animals to be seen. I know that the animals from each savannah go to the barn for two hours every day so that the savannah can be cleaned and it looked like this was the time for Sunset Savannah. So we had a cup of coffee and then started to rearrange the luggage. Graham went off to do the laundry. We had been told the previous day that all we would need was our Magic Band. This proved to be completely incorrect. There was no need to use the Magic Bands for the machines and the machine for the detergent only accepted credit cards. So Graham had to come back as he had not taken a credit card. I wanted to see if I somehow could get my boarding pass printed anyway so I offered to take care of the laundry at the same time as I was heading in the same direction anyway. I got the laundry sorted out first and then managed to get the boarding passes printed out at the Lobby Concierge desk. I then went back to the room. There was still no life on the savannah so we decided we may as well vacate the room and head down to the lobby. We stopped by the laundry on the way and put our washing in dryers. We went out on the balcony that is near the lobby and acts as a savannah overlook. There were still no animals about. We found somewhere to sit in the lobby and waited for the laundry to be dry.

Once the laundry was done, we finished packing and then took our luggage to Bell Services. At some stage Graham disappeared. He had spotted a lake as we came in the previous day and I know he had mentioned that he would have a look so I thought nothing of it. He was gone quite a while. I had a quick look at the shop as I was hoping to get a pin for Kidani Village, but they did not have any. I also went out on the balcony for a bit and now the animals were out. I did however find that I also got a decent view of the animals from where I was sitting in the lobby and it was cooler there. Eventually Graham did come back and he had been over to the lake. There was nothing there of any interest so he headed for the pool. I was not impressed. To pacify me, he offered that we could go back to the pool. I took him up on the offer.

We headed down to the pool. On the way we passed the hot tub and the slide, which both looked tempting. The hot tub was pretty busy at the time and I figured I better check out how “refreshing” the pool was before going down the slide. So I swam for a bit first and then did the slide a few times, which was great fun. I did notice that the hot tub was empty at some stage and went back to where Graham was sunning himself to see if he wanted to come. He was quite happy where he was. I spent a while in the hot tub and then was brave and headed back to the pool via the slide. It actually did not feel as cold in the pool after the hot tub as I had thought. I swam for a bit longer and then I decided to come out. I drip-dried for a while and then we decided to get some lunch. I wanted to stop by the Pembe Savannah overlook on the way as they have Okapi and Red River Hogs on that savannah. Unfortunately we did not see either, but we did see some Cape Vultures, which were amusing to watch.

We decided to walk over to Jambo House and have lunch at Mara. They changed the way they are doing things there since we last visited. They have a cast member with a clipboard near the area where you get the hot food from who takes your order. You are then given a pager and once this goes off, you go and get your food. This is a good idea in principle, but there was only one cast member and she was dealing with a couple who did not know what they wanted. Rather than leaving them to decide while taking our order, she kept chatting to them. Eventually she did come over and we placed our order. It did not take long at all for us to be able to collect our food. We both had the African Stew with beef, turkey, ham, carrots, potatoes, peas, chickpeas and raisins served over basmati rice. This was delicious. I had to get some zebra domes for dessert. The number that you get in a package has reduced over the years while the price had gone up slightly. However, I found 4 was the ideal number and I enjoyed them very much. Graham had yoghurt parfait, which he also enjoyed.

After lunch, we wandered back over to Kidani. We looked at the animals for a bit longer and then Graham went to the laundry to give our swimming stuff a quick spin in the dryer. I retrieved our suitcases from Bell Services. When I opened one of the suitcases to put the swim stuff in, I noticed that one of my shampoo bottles had leaked a little. I took them to the bathroom to rinse them off and then put them into Ziploc bag. Once this was done, we headed out to the front of the hotel to wait for Disney’s Magical Express. We did not have to wait very long. The bus actually arrived early. The trip to the airport was nice and smooth.

This may well have been the quietest I have ever seen check in at this airport. There was no line whatsoever at the baggage drop. Both of the suit cases were within the weight limit and we were soon on our way. I have a quick look at the two Disney shops at the airport and then we got in line for security. Unfortunately this was not as quiet and the lines did not seem to move at all. Still, we had plenty of time. When we got to front of the line, we met Paula, Amber and Andy and quickly said “hi”.

When we got through security, we decided to get something to drink at Starbucks. Graham had a Strawberry Refresher and I spotted something new, that I had to try. They had an Orange Cream Soda on the menu. This was quite nice, but not the best I have had. While we were sitting there, we became aware that there were all manner of delays on flights to the UK. Fortunately our flight did not seem to be affected. Once we had finished our drinks, we headed towards the gate. I briefly stopped at the duty free shop on the way, but there was nothing that took my fancy.

In the end we did board a little late, but the boarding process was very smooth. The fact that there did not seem to be a lot of people at the gate most certainly helped as well. Soon we were on the aircraft and found out that there were 220 spare seats in economy class. They asked us to stay in our assigned seats for take-off, but that as soon as the seat belt sign was switched off, we could spread out. We did not need to be asked twice. People were smart about this as well and everybody arranged themselves in a way that there was nobody in front and nobody behind. So this meant that everybody could recline the seat without bothering anybody else. I made good use of this. I had a cocktail when they came round with drinks and then I reclined my seat and made myself comfortable. I started to watch Pitch Perfect 2, but soon I dropped off. I managed to sleep during most of the flight. I woke up when they started to serve breakfast. I passed on this as airline breakfast is not one of my favourite meals. Instead I finished watching the film.

We landed not long after the film finished. As we now both have passports with chips, we went through the E-gates. This worked really well. We did not have long to wait for our luggage either. We took the train back into town and then the tram back to where we live. We put our luggage into the living room and then we got some sleep.

That sounded like a lovely and relaxed travel day! How nice to relax at the pool as well. You got some great pictures of the animals.

Glad you saw your shampoo was leaking before traveling.

I enjoyed reading about this trip and thank you again for sharing some of your vacation time with me. Hopefully we'll be able to do that again in the future :)

That sounded like a lovely and relaxed travel day!

It really was.

Glad you saw your shampoo was leaking before traveling.

I suspect it started leaking on the flight from Los Angeles to Orlando, but another flight would not have improved the situation.

I enjoyed reading about this trip and thank you again for sharing some of your vacation time with me.

Thanks for following along and for spending time with me during this trip.

Hopefully we'll be able to do that again in the future :)

I really hope so.

Corinna

A great last day! As always, I have enjoyed your adventures; thanks for sharing!

Day 19

Suddenly the sad day of leaving had arrived. We got up around 8:30 as I was hoping to spend some time on the balcony enjoying the animals. Unfortunately we were out of luck. There were no animals to be seen. I know that the animals from each savannah go to the barn for two hours every day so that the savannah can be cleaned and it looked like this was the time for Sunset Savannah. So we had a cup of coffee and then started to rearrange the luggage. Graham went off to do the laundry. We had been told the previous day that all we would need was our Magic Band. This proved to be completely incorrect. There was no need to use the Magic Bands for the machines and the machine for the detergent only accepted credit cards. So Graham had to come back as he had not taken a credit card. I wanted to see if I somehow could get my boarding pass printed anyway so I offered to take care of the laundry at the same time as I was heading in the same direction anyway. I got the laundry sorted out first and then managed to get the boarding passes printed out at the Lobby Concierge desk. I then went back to the room. There was still no life on the savannah so we decided we may as well vacate the room and head down to the lobby. We stopped by the laundry on the way and put our washing in dryers. We went out on the balcony that is near the lobby and acts as a savannah overlook. There were still no animals about. We found somewhere to sit in the lobby and waited for the laundry to be dry.

Once the laundry was done, we finished packing and then took our luggage to Bell Services. At some stage Graham disappeared. He had spotted a lake as we came in the previous day and I know he had mentioned that he would have a look so I thought nothing of it. He was gone quite a while. I had a quick look at the shop as I was hoping to get a pin for Kidani Village, but they did not have any. I also went out on the balcony for a bit and now the animals were out. I did however find that I also got a decent view of the animals from where I was sitting in the lobby and it was cooler there. Eventually Graham did come back and he had been over to the lake. There was nothing there of any interest so he headed for the pool. I was not impressed. To pacify me, he offered that we could go back to the pool. I took him up on the offer.

We headed down to the pool. On the way we passed the hot tub and the slide, which both looked tempting. The hot tub was pretty busy at the time and I figured I better check out how “refreshing” the pool was before going down the slide. So I swam for a bit first and then did the slide a few times, which was great fun. I did notice that the hot tub was empty at some stage and went back to where Graham was sunning himself to see if he wanted to come. He was quite happy where he was. I spent a while in the hot tub and then was brave and headed back to the pool via the slide. It actually did not feel as cold in the pool after the hot tub as I had thought. I swam for a bit longer and then I decided to come out. I drip-dried for a while and then we decided to get some lunch. I wanted to stop by the Pembe Savannah overlook on the way as they have Okapi and Red River Hogs on that savannah. Unfortunately we did not see either, but we did see some Cape Vultures, which were amusing to watch.

We decided to walk over to Jambo House and have lunch at Mara. They changed the way they are doing things there since we last visited. They have a cast member with a clipboard near the area where you get the hot food from who takes your order. You are then given a pager and once this goes off, you go and get your food. This is a good idea in principle, but there was only one cast member and she was dealing with a couple who did not know what they wanted. Rather than leaving them to decide while taking our order, she kept chatting to them. Eventually she did come over and we placed our order. It did not take long at all for us to be able to collect our food. We both had the African Stew with beef, turkey, ham, carrots, potatoes, peas, chickpeas and raisins served over basmati rice. This was delicious. I had to get some zebra domes for dessert. The number that you get in a package has reduced over the years while the price had gone up slightly. However, I found 4 was the ideal number and I enjoyed them very much. Graham had yoghurt parfait, which he also enjoyed.

After lunch, we wandered back over to Kidani. We looked at the animals for a bit longer and then Graham went to the laundry to give our swimming stuff a quick spin in the dryer. I retrieved our suitcases from Bell Services. When I opened one of the suitcases to put the swim stuff in, I noticed that one of my shampoo bottles had leaked a little. I took them to the bathroom to rinse them off and then put them into Ziploc bag. Once this was done, we headed out to the front of the hotel to wait for Disney’s Magical Express. We did not have to wait very long. The bus actually arrived early. The trip to the airport was nice and smooth.

This may well have been the quietest I have ever seen check in at this airport. There was no line whatsoever at the baggage drop. Both of the suit cases were within the weight limit and we were soon on our way. I have a quick look at the two Disney shops at the airport and then we got in line for security. Unfortunately this was not as quiet and the lines did not seem to move at all. Still, we had plenty of time. When we got to front of the line, we met Paula, Amber and Andy and quickly said “hi”.

When we got through security, we decided to get something to drink at Starbucks. Graham had a Strawberry Refresher and I spotted something new, that I had to try. They had an Orange Cream Soda on the menu. This was quite nice, but not the best I have had. While we were sitting there, we became aware that there were all manner of delays on flights to the UK. Fortunately our flight did not seem to be affected. Once we had finished our drinks, we headed towards the gate. I briefly stopped at the duty free shop on the way, but there was nothing that took my fancy.

In the end we did board a little late, but the boarding process was very smooth. The fact that there did not seem to be a lot of people at the gate most certainly helped as well. Soon we were on the aircraft and found out that there were 220 spare seats in economy class. They asked us to stay in our assigned seats for take-off, but that as soon as the seat belt sign was switched off, we could spread out. We did not need to be asked twice. People were smart about this as well and everybody arranged themselves in a way that there was nobody in front and nobody behind. So this meant that everybody could recline the seat without bothering anybody else. I made good use of this. I had a cocktail when they came round with drinks and then I reclined my seat and made myself comfortable. I started to watch Pitch Perfect 2, but soon I dropped off. I managed to sleep during most of the flight. I woke up when they started to serve breakfast. I passed on this as airline breakfast is not one of my favourite meals. Instead I finished watching the film.

We landed not long after the film finished. As we now both have passports with chips, we went through the E-gates. This worked really well. We did not have long to wait for our luggage either. We took the train back into town and then the tram back to where we live. We put our luggage into the living room and then we got some sleep.

Really enjoyed your trip report Corinna- thanks for all the Great pics!!!!
Jump00

Finally catching up!
Sorry i've been MIA but real life and everything has meant less time for the Dis.

Glad that your D&B was sorted out. That would have annoyed me no end....but that's one of the things that Disney does really well.
How nice to see the Savannah animals from your room. Love it!
What a shame about your luggage but that manager sure knew how to deal with it.

Thanks for sharing this trip with us!

Oh, the trip is over and there is a new trip report!! I totally missed that! I am sorry that I did not comment very much, but your last day at AKL sounded like bliss to me, pool, animal watching, Mara for lunch! We will just ignore the snafus (like the laundry misinformation and a rogue Graham...). And I need to ask which flight that was that you took back and if you think that this flight often is so uncrowded?? Sounds like bliss to me! On my next trip I splurged and booked Premium Economy on Lufthansa (using miles). I am so much looking forward to having more space!!

Finally catching up!

Welcome back.

Sorry i've been MIA but real life and everything has meant less time for the Dis.

I understand. The story has been much the same here.

Glad that your D&B was sorted out.

So am I. I actually finally decided to break in the replacement over the past week.

That would have annoyed me no end

I can a sure you it annoyed me, too.

Thanks for sharing this trip with us!

Thanks for reading along.

Oh, the trip is over and there is a new trip report!!

Yes, I have to be organised this time round. Tomorrow it will only be 5 weeks until we set off for the next trip and that will be for the best part of 4 weeks. So I want to get my assorted trip reports done by then.

I am sorry that I did not comment very much

No problem at all. I know that you have been busy.

And I need to ask which flight that was that you took back and if you think that this flight often is so uncrowded??

Off season, the later Virgin Atlantic flight to Manchester on the days they have two is usually a good bet.

Sounds like bliss to me!

It was.

On my next trip I splurged and booked Premium Economy on Lufthansa (using miles).

I did not even know that Lufthansa has premium economy.

I am so much looking forward to having more space!!

We have only ever done it twice. Both were on Virgin Atlantic and both were complimentary for one reason or another. We came to the conclusion that the little bit of extra space was not worth paying the significant premium for us. Now if I can use miles, that is a different proposition.

Corinna

I ran over to the new TR without commenting here. Nice last day you had at AKL, great that they honored your requests, and the room looks fabulous.

Nice that you had an easy flight and a good time through security.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter