DECEMBER 2023 WISH dancing through the holidays

OK, I have to jump ahead to my Thankfuls... the biopsy tests are all back and everything is normal! Wasn't worried about the polyps but she also took out a lesion that was more of an open question.

And while I'm at it, also thankful that I've joined our town's FB Buy Nothing group, as today I've rehomed an nice jacket and a couple groupings of yarn. I feel so much better sending things to neighbors who want them rather than dropping stuff of at GW... it just feels like GW gets so much that they can barely keep up.
Wonderful news!! I am so happy!!!!

IMG_0890.jpeg
Here we are! Thursday before Christmas!!!

What is everyone feeling thankful for today!?

I am so thankful that this is my last day of work for 2023 AND our director gave us 2 hours of Administrative leave to use this week so I am done at 3pm today!!!

Also thankful that today is the day I am allowed to shower LOL! I had to wait 2 days after my surgery so tonight is the night!

Thankful...again...for modern medicine. Fever reducers, antibiotics, it's all amazing.
Thankful for the great teachers at the Littles school...special educators are miracle workers. DS8 just got his best report card yet and DD is spouting out words and spelling things verbally it's just unbelievable...educators and a wee bit of Christmas magic I think.
Thankful for having tomorrow off and Thankful for everything I need to get done because it means I am spending time with people over the holidays.

IMG_0892.jpeg
Happy Friday!!!!!

What does everyone have planned for this weekend??

Starting off with our annual cookie exchange with my very best friends and our kids!

Saturday will be some cleaning and set up for Christmas Day and the afternoon/evening will be church, with DD singing at 5 and 7.

Sunday will be Christmas Eve with family ❤️

Last edited:
It should be a fun weekend for sure!

Today I'm taking off work early and getting my hair cut!

Tonight I will finish wrapping everything (just waiting on a couple of things to come in today) - have I mentioned that I'm a procrastinator (and super busy at work this month) lol! After that, I need to freshen up the spare bedroom because DD1 will be spending Saturday and Sunday nights at our house!!

Saturday we go to my MILs for Christmas exchange with DH's family. It's a large gathering with his two sisters and their families. They both have multiple grandkids, so it's always a houseful, but so much fun!

Sunday will be church in the morning and then a late lunch and gifts with my sister's family and my mom until we go back to church for Christmas Eve candlelight service - one of my favorites of the year!

Monday will be gifts at home for our 3 kids and then we will go to my mom's late afternoon and eat dinner there with some of my extended family before heading back to my MILs until late evening with DHs family again. It's a fun filled, tiring time, but I love it!!

Gosh I am exhausted. Today we had early dismissal and like the rest of the week, many teachers and staff were out. The week before Christmas is already demanding, but everyone getting sick and/or taking personal leave to travel or wrap gifts or whatever really makes it so much worse. After vacation, I will have standardized testing and report cards, so while the kids were occupied with fun activities and watching “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer,” I was taking down the trees and decorations. Yesterday I sent home all of their Christmas art and writing along with their winter vacation work packets. When I left, the classroom was January ready.

Tonight is pizza for dinner, DD’s BF’s arrival, and trying to relax after a very long hot shower.

Tomorrow is wrapping, cleaning, organizing, grocery shopping, and a bakery run…plus the usual laundry and bills.

On Christmas Eve, more prepping for company during the day and finally church at night followed by a delicious dinner for the 4 of us. We will exchange gifts.

Christmas Day will be entertaining family and enjoying everyone’s company. Later we will have dinner and watch “Christmas Vacation.”

Last night we grabbed some takeout and drove around the neighborhood looking at lights...then a few miles away to check out the mayor's light show he does go raise money for the tomorrow fund.
Three (actually four) days if  chaos Christmas fun begins today with brunch and a gift exchange with DH's parents, brother and our niece. Then we have theatre tickets for tonight. Tomorrow will be food prep with make ahead potatoes and 24 mac and cheese then off to DH's cousin's house for the 7 fish thing. It is a long day/night but a good time.
Christmas morning DS11 is servicing mass so we'll open presents then go to church then come home for dinner with my in-laws and football.
Day after Christmas DS11 has a bowling party.
As much as I love this time of year it's a lot on the kids particularly DS8...he has had two meltdowns this week and under normal circumstances he meltsdown not even once a month so I am so ready for the relaxed nature of late Christmas afternoon.

Happy Saturday!!!!!! I loved reading everyone’s Christmas weekend plans! Everyone is going to have a great Holiday!!

Wanted to ask today what everyone’s favorite Christmas cookie or treat is!!! Mine is butter toffee cookies my favorite friend Beth makes each year for the cookie exchange! It’s the only time I have them all year and I look forward to it!!

Here is a picture of our cookie exchange from yesterday!!!
IMG_0349.jpeg

The car is packed and I'm ready to head out with clear blues skies and some actual sun for the first time in many days... it's a Christmas Miracle!

I'm not sure if I have a favorite Christmas cookie. I'm pretty good at baking sugar cookies and make them most years. I also make gingerbread cookies, but after watching so many baking shows I'm not sure I've really mastered them. Eating wise, cookies in general are one of my favorites because I like to nibble and graze.

Hope everyone has a happy holiday!

1703351433911.png

I love making cookies all year round. My favorite lately is sum-b*tch cookies. I will post the recipe below...works with hershey kisses instead of rolos if you have someone who can't have caramel. Also found a good recipe on pintrest for white chocolate pistachio cookies that uses pudding mix.
At Christmas a do make a lot of cookies and with each batch a bake half the dough and freeze the other half. I scoop the cookies then pop them in the freezer for an hour or two then put them in a freezer bag...you bake them at the same temp for 2-3 mins more than you would fresh dough no defrosting necessary. And you can heat only as many as you need! Who doesn't want just like 1 or 2 warm cookies and milk on a Saturday night?

Screenshot_20231223_141759_Gallery.jpg

I think my favorite are peanut butter blossoms and the pizzelles DH's Auntie makes! This year, though, I was really craving my Mom's no-bake cookies, so I made them this morning. (They're the chocolate-peanut butter-oatmeal ones that are almost more like candy than cookies.)

So, how was your holiday? Did it live up to your expectations? Was there anything you would change? What were the highlights?
Very nice, thank you!
Presents were a hit, both the ones I gave and the ones I got.
Was able to talk to a lot of Florida family at once as my brother passed his phone around at my aunt's house.
And dinner at MIL's was delicious 😋 - only change I would maybe make next year is being a little more organized about getting a game or two in between dinner and dessert.

The drive to my Sister's was so beautiful. It started with clear blue skies and a heavy frost had fallen overnight that was glistening and sparkling in the sunshine. Then the rest of the way it was in and out of sunshine and fog, which was magical.

Actual Christmas was challenging. It is always difficult to feel comfortable in my Sister's house because of the hoarding and general disrepair. She did clean, but there was still a lot of stuff laying around and on top of that she had holiday decor, so the house was overflowing with clutter. Then, my SIL is a constant complainer and it was particularly heavy this time. My Niece and her Husband did a good job redirecting and trying to keep the energy up, but it flattened me.

Christmas Eve evening we walked over to the church in the neighborhood for a bit of the ceremony. It was like walking into a different world, with the ancient rituals. Then yesterday we went to see Wonka, which was a delight. Overall I did better at doing the seasonal festive things this year.

I've got a lot to think about... what I want in my life and what I don't want, what is for me and what isn't for me and what I am going to create for myself in 2024. This week I am embracing Yule and will be taking down Christmas and positioning myself for the coming New Year.

edited to add: whoa, I was just checking up on the rituals to do during Yule and she had a post about the current full moon, which is all about endings and beginnings, inner softness, emotional clarity, reflection and gratitude... really in sync with what I am feeling and thinking about.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter