DECEMBER 2023 WISH dancing through the holidays

Yesterday we put up the second tree in the dining room which has ornaments in different shades of blue with silver. Decorations are done in the rest of the house. DD has her home office in the dining room so I can’t really finish until she clears her clutter. It’s difficult because she’s only home every other weekend since she’s in a long distance relationship. Add to that her career as a visual stylist for Bloomingdale’s has her traveling a lot. She’s going to Washington DC this week. Since we are hosting Christmas for the first time ever, I will need my dining room back.

As for today, we are going to the main service at church. We usually go to the contemporary service, but I want to hear all of the traditional music this month. Later I will be getting my hair highlighted and cut.

I've been hitting the Christmas movies pretty hard and got a whopping six correct.

Doing my shopping errands early yesterday really paid off with almost no other shoppers around, so well done me. I got half of the outdoor light put up, it is stormy today so the last bit is not going to be fun. Heck, putting up the lights is never fun, but I do love them. I also went to the town tree lighting yesterday, there was a small choir singing and Santa came by on his truck/train to light the watch tower and the tree, so we're all official now.

I was planning on going to early breakfast this morning but decided to sleep longer instead. I'd still like to go out to eat but also don't feel like combing my hair, so now the great debate is do I just throw on a hat. Other than that to day is housekeeping, crafting and wrapping presents.

Happy first Sunday in December everyone.

i posted on the other thread, but I'll repeat some of it here and add a bit:

Today, I went to church and then we did our usual eat lunch at my moms with my sister's family. She has always had a large (12') tree and it bit the dust last year. A lady that works for my sister came in last week and said she was selling her 1 year old 12' tree because her husband had bought her a new one. My mom bought it from her, but when we got it to her house, there were lots of problems with the lights. So, DH, DS and I spent about 2 hours taking all of the lights off of the tree and adding the new lights to it. Ugh, not really what I was wanting to do today, but at least it's done.

I was planning on putting our lights on and decorating today, but not sure I feel like it now. So far since I've been home, I have picked out a few recipes I'd like to try this Christmas season. I always want to try something new, but never do. I decided to start early this year and pick out a few things to try. Hopefully I'll actually do it this year!

That's a good one - Christmas lights can definitely get the best of you!

My motivation this week is to keep on keeping on! This past week I did pretty good with my food choices. I wasn't feeling 100% and I still didn't really mellow in my typical comfort foods, so I'll consider that a win!

I need to keep the motivation of the scale inching down a bit going into this week. I know that every day isn't going to be great this month, but I should be able to string some good days together this week, so that is my plan!

Good morning lovelies.

Somehow I managed to not reach any of my November goals, so December is kind of (another) do-over month. Keeping it simple, my goals are:

- lose five pounds by eating low carb, if not totally keto
- get outside as much as possible

It occurred to me yesterday that we are "only" about 20 days from starting to get daylight back... this far north that means +2 minutes per day, which seems like nothing but adds up so quickly. At the same time we are just at the entrance to winter, with lots of cold and wet yet to come, and hopefully some snow.

So far I've reduced sugar/carb intake quite a bit, but can't say I'm in to low carb territory yet. It has been enough to start making a difference tho, which is encouraging and will be my motivation for this week. I also love having the Wheel of the Year class on Mondays because it sets the week up so beautifully, and I have my monthly counseling session Tuesday which is also always a motivator. So, the first week of December should be a good one.

Last edited:
Welcome to the WISH December thread. Where we support eachother, trying to make healthy choices through life.
Daily topics:
MOTIVATIONAL MONDAY
TOPIC TUESDAY
WOOWHOO WEDNESDAY
THANKFUL THURSDAY
FREE FOR ALL FRIDAY
SOCIAL SATURDAY
SELF CARE SUNDAY

December's moderator schedule
4-10 @Oneanne
11-17 @PollyannaMom
18-24
25-31 @Summer2018
I can do the 18th-24th!!

I apologize for my absence! I have had so much happening with my (extended) family, work and DD and I going away this past weekend I have truly fell off here but I am back!!

DD and I had a great weekend in Disney we did the Christmas party, Epcot festival of the Holidays and Candlelight processional-1st time for everything for us. We truly had a beautiful time.

My eating was beyond terrible but I am back on track today! Tracking, working out and eating well. I did take a vacation day today to recoup and I am so glad I did! Back to reality tomorrow!

@Summer2018 I read about your friend on the November thread and I am so sorry. If your school starts a go fund me or anything for her I would love for you to share it ❤️

MOTIVATION MONDAY:

View attachment 815382

What is motivating you to lean in to December and handle this week like the amazing queen you are?

View attachment 815383
I chose to take the focus off of myself and my own emotions.

I went to see my principal and instead of unloading my feelings on her, I checked on her. I asked if she had a moment and I could see that she was ready for yet another teacher to fall apart in front of her. I shut her door, sat down, and I asked her how she is doing. She was so surprised and grateful. I listened to her and allowed her to just be a person in pain. She cried and confided in me. I will keep everything she said between us.

It felt good to lighten her load.

Last edited:
TOPIC TUESDAY

1701747507843.png

Several years ago a friend of my Sister's, who is Dutch, joined us for Christmas and at one point during the evening she said she disliked American Christmases. This surprised me because I hadn't considered different European countries would celebrate differently. I think of it each year as the holiday season rolls around and I try to find a more satisfying way to celebrate.

Have you ever experienced Christmas in a different country, if yes what was different about it from how we celebrate here?

Do you have family Christmas traditions that tie back to the "old countries"? Are there other family traditions that have deep meaning for you, that you must do each year?

If married, how did you blend traditions of multiple families? Any other thoughts on celebrating Christmas that you'd like to share?

Bonus question: do you know why we say "Merry Christmas'" and not "Happy Christmas"?

My paternal grandparents came over from Sweden. My mother used to make Swedish meatballs as appetizers and Swedish Glogg (spiced wine). In years past, I have included Swedish foods in my Christmas Eve menu like rosemary mashed potatoes, Swedish meatballs, and lingonberry sauce. My Irish DH has loved Sweden since our 1994 trip there. He loves to go to the Swedish store and find stocking stuffers like Swedish chocolate. My home decor includes family heirlooms, my grandmother’s tablecloths, and trivets that say “God Jul.” My Dala horse collection (carved wooden toy horse beautifully painted) makes an appearance. I usually bring at least one to school to show my students when we celebrate world holidays. I always share my heritage with them by reading a Scandinavian folk tale to them. I teach them about the festival of St. Lucia (festival of lights) on December 13th. DD has a lot of interest in her Swedish heritage now that she’s traveling to Sweden in May. She began a new tradition by buying us a Swedish Advent calendar.

My mother’s father was Irish, but I have nothing from him. My maternal grandmother’s family came over on the Mayflower. When we were in England, we became interested in some traditions. My family has always collected the Spode Christmas tree dishes (made in England). I love adding more to my collection every year. Last year I started DD’s collection. We enjoy Christmas crackers, especially wearing the silly paper hats while all dressed up in our best clothes.

DH’s family was not big on holidays so he didn’t bring any traditions with him except going to church. I am sure that I am missing something because these traditions are so embedded in our celebrations that I take them for granted.

Last edited:
I'm a European mutt as I call myself...genetically from all over. A big tradition my parents kept up with was putting candles in the windows following the Irish tradition which let passerbys know the home was a place to find a meal and refuge for the night. This was observed in a modern way for us as at Thanksgiving and Christmas we were the home for people who didn't live near family to spend time. I have insisted on candles in our windows since DH and I had our first Christmas together back in 2006.
My husband's family is Italian and they do the big 7 fish dinner on Christmas eve. As one who does not eat seafood this was a pretty big shock to me back in the day ha. This is a big event now that there are 3 (up until a few years back 4) generations involved....we start late afternoon and go through until 10/11 at night.

It occurred to me yesterday that we are "only" about 20 days from starting to get daylight back... this far north that means +2 minutes per day, which seems like nothing but adds up so quickly.
Yeah!!!!! :dogdance:

Bonus question: do you know why we say "Merry Christmas'" and not "Happy Christmas"?
I don't, but now I'm really curious!!

I've never spent Christmas in a foreign country, but my ancestry is Irish and Welsh, and DH's is Irish and Italian. We just have lots of random decorations and good food!

Most of our traditions were similar or added in easily around each other's. The only big compromise I remember was presents for DS - Santa brought the big wishes in my family, and sentimental stuff came from Mom & Dad. It was the opposite in DH's family - Santa filled the stockings, but the biggest gifts were from Mom & Dad. We ended up doing a mix.

My paternal grandparents came over from Sweden. My mother used to make Swedish meatballs as appetizers and Swedish Glogg (spiced wine). In years past, I have included Swedish foods in my Christmas Eve menu like rosemary mashed potatoes, Swedish meatballs, and lingonberry sauce. My Irish DH has loved Sweden since our 1994 trip there. He loves to go to the Swedish store and find stocking stuffers like Swedish chocolate. My home decor includes family heirlooms, my grandmother’s tablecloths, and trivets that say “God Jul.” My Dala horse collection (carved wooden toy horse beautifully painted) makes an appearance. I usually bring at least one to school to show my students when we celebrate world holidays. I always share my heritage with them by reading a Scandinavian folk tale to them. I teach them about the festival of St. Lucia (festival of lights) on December 13th. DD has a lot of interest in her Swedish heritage now that she’s traveling to Sweden in May. She began a new tradition by buying us a Swedish Advent calendar.

My mother’s father was Irish, but I have nothing from him. My maternal grandmother’s family came over on the Mayflower. When we were in England, we became interested in some traditions. My family has always collected the Spode Christmas tree dishes (made in England). I love adding more to my collection every year. Last year I started DD’s collection. We enjoy Christmas crackers, especially wearing the silly paper hats while all dressed up in our best clothes.

DH’s family was not big on holidays so he didn’t bring any traditions with him except going to church. I am sure that I am missing something because these traditions are so embedded in our celebrations that I take them for granted.
Sounds lovely! I am about 25% Swedish and 25% British, so we share some ancestry... but the only tradition carried over in my family is to do the big celebration Christmas Eve evening.

I'm a European mutt as I call myself...genetically from all over. A big tradition my parents kept up with was putting candles in the windows following the Irish tradition which let passerbys know the home was a place to find a meal and refuge for the night. This was observed in a modern way for us as at Thanksgiving and Christmas we were the home for people who didn't live near family to spend time. I have insisted on candles in our windows since DH and I had our first Christmas together back in 2006.
My husband's family is Italian and they do the big 7 fish dinner on Christmas eve. As one who does not eat seafood this was a pretty big shock to me back in the day ha. This is a big event now that there are 3 (up until a few years back 4) generations involved....we start late afternoon and go through until 10/11 at night.
The house I'm currently living in has sash style windows where I can put up candles and I love it, I didn't realize this was an Irish tradition.

Yeah!!!!! :dogdance:

I don't, but now I'm really curious!!

I've never spent Christmas in a foreign country, but my ancestry is Irish and Welsh, and DH's is Irish and Italian. We just have lots of random decorations and good food!

Most of our traditions were similar or added in easily around each other's. The only big compromise I remember was presents for DS - Santa brought the big wishes in my family, and sentimental stuff came from Mom & Dad. It was the opposite in DH's family - Santa filled the stockings, but the biggest gifts were from Mom & Dad. We ended up doing a mix.
Since we opened the big presents on Christmas Eve, they were from the parents and Santa filled to stockings. To this day I think we are all still more excited about the stockings.

We were talking about Christmas and Winter in class last night and how the rush-rush buy-buy style of American Christmas is so counter intuitive to the energy of Winter, where we should be slowing down and resting. I feel that my epiphany last week is leading me to a much slower/gentler celebration and I'm really happy about this.

As mentioned in comments, I also have Swedish ancestry but the only Scandinavian tradition carried forward is doing the big presents Christmas Eve. My Mom used to put an orange in our stocking (or maybe it was Santa, not really sure) which is either British or German, or possibly both, and we have a bit of those in our heritage as well. I've never done a non-American Christmas but would love to do an English one some year and lately I've been reading about river cruises where you go to Christmas Markets in Germany and that is also going on my list.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter