Business Class Flights to Europe

Mostly I like the actual flights that Delta does, but their reservation system sucks. They constantly change the times by 5 minutes or less, and my seat assignments will mysteriously disappear. Some times I can get the seats back, sometimes I can't. This has happened to me every single time I have a reservation with Delta over the last several years. The stress makes me less likely to book Delta unless they're really the only decent choice...

Sayhello

You just described how I'd explain my experiences with AA. I guess it varies from one person to the next!

Mostly I like the actual flights that Delta does, but their reservation system sucks. They constantly change the times by 5 minutes or less, and my seat assignments will mysteriously disappear. Some times I can get the seats back, sometimes I can't. This has happened to me every single time I have a reservation with Delta over the last several years. The stress makes me less likely to book Delta unless they're really the only decent choice...
Sayhello

Good to know Sayhello. That gives me one more reason not to chase Delta miles. I haven't flown Delta in years, pretty much since we started travel hacking and not really paying for flights. I do recall liking the actual flights and I have read that their domestic first class is pretty decent. Their mileage award chart though is frightening. Typically it costs more miles to fly with them to the same destination than it would on the other carriers. Plus, none of the co-branded credit cards ever have a bonus worth going for that I have seen so far and I'd prefer avoiding the hassle you've experienced. I get enough of that from United.

Our repeated experience with Delta is summed up in their name: Don't Expect Luggage To Arrive. On our last ABD trip, one suitcase was missing in each direction. It arrived at the hotel in Wyoming after we had already returned to the east. Three more weeks before it showed up, and they lost a second one on the trip back. And don't even think about trying to retrieve luggage in Atlanta...the handlers are always "on break." Just my two cents.

Speak of the devil!! Delta just changed the first leg of my flight to Budapest to a different flight number that leaves 11 minutes earlier. As a part of the switch, they decided to change my aisle seat to a window seat, and the only way I can get an aisle seat is to move further back in the plane (at least there *was* an aisle seat still available!) Fortunately, it's only the short leg to JFK, but they do this ALL THE TIME. Some times I wonder if it was worth the $400 cheaper fare (through Air France) to have to deal with this crap.

Sayhello

I'm probably in the minority, but I always try to fly Business/First Class whenever I go to Europe, which is usually once a year. Delta is my airline of choice, and while I haven't had any luggage issues, they do always change the flights multiple times up until you leave. This gets annoying and, when they change equipment, means you may not get the same seat on the new plane that you had on the last. I have found that I need to check my flight every couple of months to see what changes they have made to the time and equipment(they don't always email you the change).

Because I travel solo, flying Business Class to Europe allows me to have a seat by myself, which I prefer. The first couple of times I flew to Europe was in both regular and economy comfort. The 8+ hours on the plane was excruciating, I never really felt comfortable, and I didn't sleep. Not to mention that the food in coach leaves a lot to be desired. Typically, if I am flying 8 hours or more on one segment, I fly Business class. It was definitely a must when I flew the 15 hours from LAX to SYD! I was actually able to sleep for a couple of hours on the flight. Unfortunately, I haven't found domestic first class to be worth it(other than to Hawaii). The service just isn't the same on the shorter flights. However, the problem is that once you start flying business class, it's hard to go back to coach.

Last edited:
Speak of the devil!! Delta just changed the first leg of my flight to Budapest to a different flight number that leaves 11 minutes earlier. As a part of the switch, they decided to change my aisle seat to a window seat, and the only way I can get an aisle seat is to move further back in the plane (at least there *was* an aisle seat still available!) Fortunately, it's only the short leg to JFK, but they do this ALL THE TIME. Some times I wonder if it was worth the $400 cheaper fare (through Air France) to have to deal with this crap.

Sayhello

Flying now has all the customer service and glamor of public transportation but ... on the value of business class to Europe question, this thread seems to confirm that the answer is like whether ABD is worth it. You get a totally better experience which is worth it but is it in the budget?

Few years ago, I flew Virgin Atlantic "Upper (pronounced Upahh) Class" on business to London - the Dream Suite - which has a brushed leather bed with pillow, sheet and blanket, movable 13 inch flat screen, free flowing meals and booze including after-dinner port, a tray table bigger than a desk, fast track at passport control and stellar service. Arrived feeling better than when I left the US but its a different question when someone else is paying triple the cost of economy and multiply that by all family members because you really cannot put the kids in steerage like in Home Alone right?

We fly to Europe regularly and usually try to get premium economy, but I'll be flying to Scotland next week in business class on British Air for the first time and can't wait. I was able to snag a cheap fare about 6 months ago when they had that awesome 24 hour fare deal. I paid $2000, which is only a couple hundred more than coach would have been. Score! But the family will be in steerage (i.e. coach) in June for ABD Greece and NOT looking forward to it. Used miles on United so didn't have much choice--didn't have enough for four in 1st and doubtful would have been able to find that many anyway. My hubby is 6'5 so he's going to have a grand time :)

We took advantage of the British Air Business class sale in October as well. I purchased 6 tickets (my family of 5 and MIL) ORD-BCN and ATH-ORD for about $1500 per person with the sale and stacked AARP discount. Coach at the time out of Chicago was going for more than that. I was thrilled because I was not looking forward to paying for air fare. We have traveled to Europe every summer since 2010 and have always used my DH's miles but he recently took a position with less travel so fewer miles.

For most of our trips we have done a mix of classes depending on miles we had available and the number of flights. We've also booked our teens in coach and DH and I in business. I enjoy the comfort of Business/First especially for overnight flights but I have no problem flying coach either.

It looks like that BA Business Class sale is back! Unfortunately I already have my flights for this summer (using the previous special :yay:). I sure wish I could find the same special going the other way to China!

We just "snagged" 1st class from Vt. to San Francisco for our upcoming Tauck trip for little money. The down side? United......please pray for us.

It looks like that BA Business Class sale is back! Unfortunately I already have my flights for this summer (using the previous special :yay:). I sure wish I could find the same special going the other way to China!

Yup! I saw that but we already have our flights too. If anyone is taking advantage of it I would suggest joining AARP first. AARP members get up to a $400 discount on flights with BA. You don't need to be over 50 something or whatever to join. Anyone can join as an associate member. DH and I have been members for a few years now and we are in our 40's. $16 for a year membership to get a $400 discount on airfare. Yes, please!

Looking at business class fares to Europe and it appears that Aer Lingus and LOT Polish Airlines tend to have cheaper rates than others. Has anyone ever flown these airlines, business class or otherwise? Any feedback you could provide would be appreciated.

Are Lingus is very good ...... you select your seats No Fee (.... charge for Exit seats ..... ) when you book.

Flights are Via Dublin & transfer to Europe or Shannon

Are Lingus is very good ...... you select your seats No Fee (.... charge for Exit seats ..... ) when you book.

Flights are Via Dublin & transfer to Europe or Shannon

Agree on Aer Lingus, mostly. US to Ireland - excellent service, great price and seat selection plus all the flight attendants had the same blond braided hair bun which is .... uniformly nice (?) ("congrats, you're hired for Aer Lingus - grab a green dress and a hair bun") but the second leg from Dublin to the continent was maybe the oldest plane I have seen in ages, seats sagging and broken, everything shoddy. Guess they save the best for the money route.

Agree on Aer Lingus, mostly. US to Ireland - excellent service, great price and seat selection plus all the flight attendants had the same blond braided hair bun which is .... uniformly nice (?) ("congrats, you're hired for Aer Lingus - grab a green dress and a hair bun") but the second leg from Dublin to the continent was maybe the oldest plane I have seen in ages, seats sagging and broken, everything shoddy. Guess they save the best for the money route.

Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter