Business Class Flights to Europe

Dh refuses to fly economy anymore and with the amount he travels he deserves to be comfortable. He has finally come to realize that my legs just won't fit in economy class without a lot of discomfort which would be unbearable for an overseas flight. I usually get up and stretch and walk around at least every few hours when traveling long distances to keep blood flowing to my extremities. My dad had issues with blood clots and my brother has had them in his legs as well.

This made me chuckle and think of my own DH. I always say our travel hacking hobby turned my DH into a princess princess: He refuses to fly economy anymore for anything longer than 3 hours. WRT the issue of potential blood clots, one of the things we do pre flight is each take an aspirin, wear compression socks and make sure to keep hydrated both before and during the flight. Hope that helps.

My husband is 6'5" and really cannot fit in coach. However, we have a new take on all of this. For SE Asia, we did a direct flight from IAH to Tokyo and then on to Ho Chi Minh. We got an incredible price in economy on ANA and I took it and prepared to be miserable! However, since the flights were pretty direct, it was not bad at all. In fact, we were pretty comfortable because we were not traveling that long. My new theory is to pay a bit extra for direct flights or even drive to Dallas or Houston (we live in Austin) to avoid as many connecting flights as possible.

My dad, on the other had, had Business Class on the way back from SE Asia but had a 10 hour lay over in Osaka (only flights he could get with miles and he is AA Platinum!). He said it was miserable and not worth the extra miles (even though Business Class was nice).

For Australia, I plan to fly direct from LAX to Melbourne for some pre-days and back into LAX on the return from Brisbane. We may spend the night in LA and then fly direct back to AUS. If you are like us and can't afford the business/first splurge often (even with all my credit card tricks and bargain hunting), book the shorter flights (even if they are more expensive)! It's not as comfy but makes it a lot more bearable!

And calypso, my son is the diva (it's a NIGHTMARE!). Every time we board, he asks LOUDLY, "Are we in First Class?" We are having lots of conversations about entitlement and first world problems. However, I can't deny that the kid has good taste!

My husband is 6'5" and really cannot fit in coach. However, we have a new take on all of this. For SE Asia, we did a direct flight from IAH to Tokyo and then on to Ho Chi Minh. We got an incredible price in economy on ANA and I took it and prepared to be miserable! However, since the flights were pretty direct, it was not bad at all. In fact, we were pretty comfortable because we were not traveling that long. My new theory is to pay a bit extra for direct flights or even drive to Dallas or Houston (we live in Austin) to avoid as many connecting flights as possible.

My dad, on the other had, had Business Class on the way back from SE Asia but had a 10 hour lay over in Osaka (only flights he could get with miles and he is AA Platinum!). He said it was miserable and not worth the extra miles (even though Business Class was nice).

For Australia, I plan to fly direct from LAX to Melbourne for some pre-days and back into LAX on the return from Brisbane. We may spend the night in LA and then fly direct back to AUS. If you are like us and can't afford the business/first splurge often (even with all my credit card tricks and bargain hunting), book the shorter flights (even if they are more expensive)! It's not as comfy but makes it a lot more bearable!

And calypso, my son is the diva (it's a NIGHTMARE!). Every time we board, he asks LOUDLY, "Are we in First Class?" We are having lots of conversations about entitlement and first world problems. However, I can't deny that the kid has good taste!
I agree, direct flights are WAY preferable to multiple stops. Just be really, REALLY careful to get up & walk around every couple of hours. Some folks get into their seat, and literally never move for the duration of the flight, and that's when blood clots become a big risk. Connecting flights force you to get up & walk at least a bit...

Sayhello

I've never travel First or Business, but I'm 5ft, so often, I'm okay leg wise. I get aisle seats and I'm typically fine. What bugs me is the width of the aisles. Last time I flew, this flight attendant kept elbowing me as she walked up and down. No apologies.

I've never travel First or Business, but I'm 5ft, so often, I'm okay leg wise. I get aisle seats and I'm typically fine. What bugs me is the width of the aisles. Last time I flew, this flight attendant kept elbowing me as she walked up and down. No apologies.
I've noticed that too about the aisles. The least she could do is apologize!!

Sayhello

Sayhello- it was a midnight flight from SFO to Memphis. She hit me around a dozen times, twice with the drink cart. Each time, I was about to drift off to sleep. Very annnoying.

This made me chuckle and think of my own DH. I always say our travel hacking hobby turned my DH into a princess princess: He refuses to fly economy anymore for anything longer than 3 hours. WRT the issue of potential blood clots, one of the things we do pre flight is each take an aspirin, wear compression socks and make sure to keep hydrated both before and during the flight. Hope that helps.

I always drink plenty of water, but not as much when I'm traveling so I can cut back on trips to the bathroom! I don't drink much alcohol in my every day life, and never drink alcohol when flying to avoid dehydration.

I just can't wear compression socks. I've tried but they really hurt my legs. I was a varsity rower in university and developed large calf muscles; my obsession with running and biking doesn't help either (say no to skinny jeans lol). It's a good thing I'm tall otherwise I'd look way out of proportion with my enormous calves (as I have a small frame)!

We are lucky to be able to fly first / business class for our trips. It's not something I want dd to take for granted.

Last edited:

I always drink plenty of water, but not as much when I'm traveling so I can cut back on trips to the bathroom! I don't drink much alcohol in my every day life, and never drink alcohol when flying to avoid dehydration.

I just can't wear compression socks. I've tried but they really hurt my legs. I was a varsity rower in university and developed large calf muscles; my obsession with running and biking doesn't help either (say no to skinny jeans lol). It's a good thing I'm tall otherwise I'd look way out of proportion with my enormous calves (as I have a small frame)!

We are lucky to be able to fly first / business class for our trips. It's not something I want dd to take for granted.

WDWGroupie-have you considered Compression tape. I use Rock tape (but there are other brands) on my calves as I have planter fasciatis due to running and it really helps.

If your airline permits you to select and easily change your seat, check every day and move your seat next to a empty seat. I've seen people lay flat on 5 empty center row seats. Be ready to stake your claim when the door closes!

For me, sitting next to an empty seat in economy is just as good as larger business class seat and there is no additional charge. If economy fills up, upgrade to business or first class at the last minute discount price.

It helps to fly mid-week when the planes are not as full.

-Paul

I use seatguru to check out the seat configuration on planes we will be flying and book the best possible seat. The site lists most of the major airlines, their planes and the seat configuration in all classes. I also view the traveler pictures and read their reviews for any potential "bad" seats.

For our December trip with Ethiopian Airlines I relied somewhat on seatguru for reassurance that we'd be okay, even in first class. However from what I've read Ethiopian is known for changing their planes at the last minute, so I am prepared for that as well. For now we are on a dreamliner direct from Toronto to Addis Adaba. Hope they keep it this way!

The "changing of planes" happened to us a few years ago and our great seats went "poof" and you got it....last row......I HATE UNITED. (for various reasons.

We've had this happen many times -- mostly when dd was a baby and we had booked the bulkhead for the bassinet they can fix to the 'wall' in front of the seats. Even though we almost never got it due to the infamous plane swapping by Air Canada.

I have already received 3 changes for our flights to Charleston, SC this summer. I haven't paid too much attention to them. And 1 recent notification that our flight to Beijing is now leaving FIVE minutes earlier than scheduled!

The "changing of planes" happened to us a few years ago and our great seats went "poof" and you got it....last row......I HATE UNITED. (for various reasons.

That happens to me all the time with American (and formerly with US Airways). I pay for one class of seats. They reassign me to another class and my seats are changed for me. If I didn't have so many miles already with them, and if Delta were just a little cheaper, I'd use Delta exclusively.

Agreed. Happened to us last year. We were booked in row 7 or something and the night before our flight to Europe, United eliminated that row and we no longer had seats. I now try to research all the types of planes United uses for a given flight and make sure my seats numbers can be found on each plane. Yes, I'm a bit paranoid, but it was really stressful. I'm sure it won't eliminate that risk, but I'm hoping it helps.

United is either stellar, or hell. No in between.

Ugh! Every time we fly United there are either multiple schedule changes, or multiple delays or some combination of both. We also had a plane change with them which was aggravating since I chose the flight specifically for the type of plane and seat after checking on seat guru.

That happens to me all the time with American (and formerly with US Airways). I pay for one class of seats. They reassign me to another class and my seats are changed for me. If I didn't have so many miles already with them, and if Delta were just a little cheaper, I'd use Delta exclusively.

Miami is a hub for American so we tend to focus most of our mile collecting with them and One World partners. I've only had the schedule and plane change happen with them once and my direct flight in first suddenly became a connecting flight with an impossible connection and my first class seats gone. I had booked with British Airways miles so I called BA and they were able to fix everything with AA and get me back on my direct flight in my original seats.

Miami is a hub for American so we tend to focus most of our mile collecting with them and One World partners. I've only had the schedule and plane change happen with them once and my direct flight in first suddenly became a connecting flight with an impossible connection and my first class seats gone. I had booked with British Airways miles so I called BA and they were able to fix everything with AA and get me back on my direct flight in my original seats.

Glad it worked out for you! I have not had any luck with them at all, but I suppose it's a question of how you look at it. At least they didn't just leave us stranded in some other city. Now granted, I know that's not the point, but I have yet to find them very helpful at all. In fact, on our last last-minute rescheduled flight, the girl at the counter asked me - twice - if I didn't want to go home and come back tomorrow. I just smiled and said 'no, thank you' and stayed where I was in line.

Of course, part of the problem that day was that she was trying to rebook one leg of our flight on BA and couldn't figure out how to do it even after three phone calls. Then again, she had an elderly man (who skipped the line altogether and stood beside her at the counter) yelling at her the entire time. That could have played a small part in the whole thing.

But to stay on topic, we were at least able to keep our business class seats for the overseas leg of the flight, and that was the most important part to me.

Mostly I like the actual flights that Delta does, but their reservation system sucks. They constantly change the times by 5 minutes or less, and my seat assignments will mysteriously disappear. Some times I can get the seats back, sometimes I can't. This has happened to me every single time I have a reservation with Delta over the last several years. The stress makes me less likely to book Delta unless they're really the only decent choice...

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter