Another 18 nights RPR, just the two of us & HHN (2015 Trip)

So we always book our car through USRentacar and usually it`s Alamo. This year as we had decided not to have an SUV we went with Dollar, same as last year.......never again. They started off with the hard sell of an upgrade, no we didn`t need one.....we laughed so hard when he asked if we wanted to save money on fuel.....told him Americas gas prices are minute compared to what we pay....did we want a satnav.....no we know our way around....Sunpass??? No we`ll pay our own tolls thank you........just when we though he had given up he said ok that`s just $65 to be added to your card.....Tom immediately said no way....we`ve paid upfront for everything....he sighed and said well have you got your contract....he produced it in seconds much to the guys annoyance where he saw we had indeed paid upfront for gas and second driver......he still tried to argue, so we asked for a manager who eventually refunded the charge. They try everything to get more money out of you.

God the US hire car people really are awful aren't they?! We too had to go back to the counter and get a charge (which I didn't ask for!) removed. I'm glad to know its not just me it happened too.

That sushi looked lush! yum!

Love reading your trip reports and glad to see another! I teared up myself when you mentioned Kyle not being with you this year. I know a bit about how that feels. My son is about to turn 20 and is in his second year of college. It was very strange going to Universal last year without him. It might be easier this year (we will see) but I'm not hold out a lot of hope. He was just home for a fall break last weekend and it was just as hard as ever to see his car pull away as he headed back to school yesterday. I wonder if it will ever get any easier?!

God the US hire car people really are awful aren't they?! We too had to go back to the counter and get a charge (which I didn't ask for!) removed. I'm glad to know its not just me it happened too.

That sushi looked lush! yum!

Sushi in Orchids is so good..........yeah we're used to the car hire guys being aggressive but it still stings when you know they catch so many people out.......couple next to us who were first timers were being stung big time.....she looked at me as she has heard us talk and asked if we ever took the stuff the guy was telling them they needed....we laughed and said never!! Guy wasn't happy but he was borderline lying to them to get more money out them.

Love reading your trip reports and glad to see another! I teared up myself when you mentioned Kyle not being with you this year. I know a bit about how that feels. My son is about to turn 20 and is in his second year of college. It was very strange going to Universal last year without him. It might be easier this year (we will see) but I'm not hold out a lot of hope. He was just home for a fall break last weekend and it was just as hard as ever to see his car pull away as he headed back to school yesterday. I wonder if it will ever get any easier?!

Oh thank you....I'm so glad to hear you enjoy them..........

Oh I feel for you! I don't think it gets any easier........must be hard seeing him go off every time.......is he very far away from you? We feel very lucky Kyle chose a University where, although he drives a fair old distance however many days he goes in every week, least he's living at home and we see him all the time.

I get now why my mum even now, still calls me the baby........lol........I'm the youngest of four and 48, but I guess some things never change despite how adult they are..........

Glad to have you reading along.........:wave2:

Joining in! I loved your last Trip Report and used it when I was researching where to stay at Universal! We stayed at RPR and loved it as well! My kids and I would love to go back again someday! Looking forward to reading more! :cool1:

FRIDAY 18TH SEPT

We both fell asleep really quickly and fortunately never heard one sound during the night. One thing we were very fortunate with this year was people in rooms around around us were almost silent!! Never heard one peep which was excellent. But we were awake early, very early.....I knew around 5.30am I wasn`t getting back to sleep, so sat and watched the resort lights twinkling and the very few people that were around getting everything ready for the day. It`s easy to forget when a hotel runs as smoothly as this does for us that there`s so much goes on behind the scenes to make it this way.

It is interesting to see the development of the new Sapphire Falls hotel due to open next year.........

i-H9jCBG4-X2.jpg

i-bPX97hR-X2.jpg

So, I make a decision that we will get showered and try and Skype Kyle then head to Peach Valley Café for breakfast. So we connect to Skype and connected immediately.....he was keeping an eye out for us knowing we may be up early. Connection was poor with normal internet connection....it was fine for generic internet stuff but Skype needed the upgrade, we would do that later. We did manage to chat for a bit despite cutting out a few times, and it was lovely to see him. We showed him around the room he knew so well and said it was nice to see it. Skype would be a lifesaver this trip. We switched off after 20 minutes and decided we were hungry now.

It was so early but lobby was fairly busy, we headed out and got car and drove the few minutes to the café in Dr Phillips. I did however forget my camera. This place is very local, not many tourists but food is so good. It opens at 7 so we arrived not long after opening. We were seated and ordered quickly. I had Pecan cinnamon roll pancakes and Tom had two eggs, bacon, sausages and toast.......I may or may not have stolen a sausage from him!! Food was so good and I couldn`t finish my pancakes, but they were gorgeous. We sat for a while and then as we weren't doing any parks till Monday thought about what we would do next.

First stop was walmart for suncream. Always our first stop. We burn so easily so we buy it there rather than from home. I have Factor 30 and Tom has 50. We use No-Ad, have used it every year and never once had sunburn. We also buy the cooling gel.....just in case and hopefully never have to use it.......we spend ages in here........pick up water, Pepperidge farm cookies and other bits and bobs like shaving gel and other stuff we don`t bring........go to see our friend Roslyn who we speak to every year, only to find she has left. We were sad as she was a lovely lady who we enjoyed talking to every year. We drop things off at hotel and take a couple of pics as sun is now shining

Our favourite spot.........

i-sbFPnW8-X2.jpg

i-H48nwVP-X2.jpg

We are not fond of the Florida Mall at all, but always go at least once, but, it had changed since last year and the food court in particular was very nice. We mooched around a bit and got some pictures of the Crayola place Janet had asked me to check out......

i-dhRrB5d-X2.jpg

i-FZfz6Qv-X2.jpg

i-M3kvGns-X2.jpg

We bought a few things then stopped for lunch. I am allergic to onions, garlic and msg among a few other things, so Chinese from mall food courts are out......or so I thought.....we saw the oriental eatery place had a sign up saying no msg.....so I thought well, ok give it a try and pray I didn`t regret it. It was nice and I had no ill effects from it apart from an incredible thirst.....it was far too salty.....

i-qb8SNSr-X2.jpg

I can`t remember what Tom had but it was nice and spicy......I had bourbon chicken with noodles and a huge amount of water, but glad we tried it. We sat for a bit as this bit of the mall is really nice now, so much more spacious and lighter

i-cM3dWLL-X2.jpg

i-njmKhvC-X2.jpg

i-pb7HjDm-X2.jpg

So now we were duly fed and watered we headed back to the car and decided to go the Mall at Millenia.......our favourite mall in Orlando.......It didn`t look too busy which it never really is, but they have taken a huge amount of the car park for valet. So we had found out last year we couldn`t use the valet as it invalidates our car insurance for the rental, so we park in normal spaces and walk, but we`re fairly close......I`m conscious we don't have sun cream on yet. But we head in and have a quick mooch around, head to Macy`s and I get a moisturiser and a mascara. Wander around and look at bags, watches and a few other things. Walk past the Apple store as it`s busy, it`s always busy. We are planning to get me a new ipad as a belated birthday present this year......I had my birthday before we left this year and got a few bits, but would get some other stuff here. We decided at this point we would head back to hotel and chill for a bit as we were doing horror nights tonight.

We didn`t go in.......but Kyle`s favourite place......

i-Fkd5qHq-X2.jpg

Arrived back and dropped stuff in room. Went down to lobby and asked if a friend was around. He was, it was so lovely seeing him again. Probably the nicest guy on earth. We caught up and he asked if we had seen new rooms yet, we hadn`t so he took us to T1 and showed us one.......We loved it!!! Long story short he asked if we wanted to move to one of them, let him know and we could switch.......although we do love the view from T3 this room was beautiful. He said think about it and let him know. We would. So we caught up some more then headed up to our room to change for HHN.

Before that though we headed up to Club Lounge. We like the 6th floor in T3, it takes seconds to get up there. As we walked in one of our favourite guys from last few years was sat.....Thomas.......he immediately got up and hugged us and welcomed us back. We chatted and then sat down as they were just about to set stuff out..........we caught up some more once he was set up. Such a lovely guy and we really get on well with him. The staff in here were mostly new, but so nice. I saw one girl and almost dropped my drink......she was the image of my niece Joanne.....same facial expression as well......only Joanne is blonde and Mara is dark haired.....uncanny though. So we had a few glasses of wine and met Anthony, another new face and we came to know well too. Very nice guy.

And again with the building work at Sapphire Falls and one below of the Orlando Eye from the Club Lounge......

i-nRNBknS-X2.jpg

i-R7SDVrr-X2.jpg

We felt so comfortable in there, wasn`t too busy either. But we were heading to horror nights, and as our day tickets were not going to be activated till Monday we were using for the first time the general queue entrance outside!! We were of course going to use the seperate hotel guest entrance to the side, but even that would be busier than we were used to as we always did Stay and Scream. This would be the first year we were doing it this way, so would be interesting to see how it went. We could go 10 nights during our trip with the RoF ticket, not that we planned to go all those nights but it was nice that we could.

Last edited:

Joining in! I loved your last Trip Report and used it when I was researching where to stay at Universal! We stayed at RPR and loved it as well! My kids and I would love to go back again someday! Looking forward to reading more! :cool1:

Thanks!!! And welcome along for the ride.......RP is hard to beat for us, I`m sure you`ll get back soon......

Hope you enjoy this one too.......:wave2:

Subbing along!

Loving all the detail.......can't wait to read all about HHN!

I am a big woose but I'm quite excited about including it on our trip next year!

Did you need to use express pass?

I think it will be either a Wednesday or a Thursday that we go. Fly home on the Sat and Friday might be too busy for us!

Oh it's so annoying especially after such a long flight........I think they actually rely on the fact that us Brits have had a long journey and are a bit easier to target........Tom keeps everything so we knew we were right. But glad you are enjoying reading........:)

Hey Matt..........:wave2: eh......yes.....been kinda looking out for yours.......just sayin...:rolleyes1

Glad to have you along.....hope you enjoy it.........:D

Haha yes going to start this weekend, its a shame we didn't get a chance to have a drink with you both but glad I said hello :)

There's nothing like that feeling at the start of a trip when you walk on the bridge to RPR....I just feel like all my troubles melt away with each step :cloud9:

Loving the start...can't wait for more.

Subbing along!

Loving all the detail.......can't wait to read all about HHN!

I am a big woose but I'm quite excited about including it on our trip next year!

Did you need to use express pass?

I think it will be either a Wednesday or a Thursday that we go. Fly home on the Sat and Friday might be too busy for us!

Thanks, glad you`re enjoying it......

We wouldn`t do HHN without EP.......even on quieter nights like Wednesday`s queues can get long.......but if you don`t mind queueing then no you may not need them. HHN is amazing.......nothing to be scared of, it`s all just good fun.........:)

Haha yes going to start this weekend, its a shame we didn't get a chance to have a drink with you both but glad I said hello :)

Look forward to reading it.......yes, we could easily have passed a couple of hours sipping cocktails I think with you both.......but I am glad you said hello.......::yes::

There's nothing like that feeling at the start of a trip when you walk on the bridge to RPR....I just feel like all my troubles melt away with each step :cloud9:

Loving the start...can't wait for more.

Glad you`re enjoying it Vicki........opening HHN coming up.......:goodvibes

FRIDAY 18TH........HHN

Heading down for the boat, we don`t wait long and we`re off.......

i-QFr5r44-X2.jpg

i-frhtjGW-X2.jpg

i-CJDfkZZ-X2.jpg

And good to see work progress on the new NBC restaurant, replacing the missed Nascar......no more Boogity Boogity Boogity Shrimp Dish.....a classic!!!!

i-KFD8TNL-X2.jpg

So as we got off the boat we experienced for the first time in year the general crowds coming in to horror nights......as I said we usually did the Finnegans holding area and usually with our old pal Metro West......but this would be different. So we headed straight to hotel guest entrance which had a queue also......but before we knew it we were heading through the metal detectors and bag check......until the guy in front took off this huge backpack to be searched.....it was bursting at the seams!! So of course we all began heckling (in fun of course) he did laugh but goodness knows what he had in there.......we joked with the security guard and asked if he had his life in there....he said you would be surprised what people bring in. So after that we ambled through and joined the queue for opening.......just at that the fireworks went off and it was open!!! Finally!!

i-nCdfZ8P-X2.jpg

As we went through the gates we were immediately launched upon by several scary as@ed clowns.........they were good.......one annoying thing was the chainsaws......they just seemed out of place with clowns and unnecessary........stick to the chainsaw gangs with them like previous years........it is really still too light to have any real atmosphere yet, but still fun. I heard one woman comment she was really scared........seriously!!!!! Her husband told her to stop being ridiculous.......absolutely......it`s a theme park....what did she think was going to happen......if you don`t think it`s going to be fun......don`t go!!

First scare zone was good but probably my least favourite this year.......but still got some good frights and characters were really into their parts......

i-wt7jFML-X2.jpg

I`m not nervous!!!

We head first to Jack`s 25 year house.......this one was excellent!!!! We waited maybe 10 minutes to get on this one.....regular queue was already building though. Some fantastic scares and the same ones caught me every time we did this house.......the timing was just perfect for me.......I loved this one and ended up in my top 3 at the end. Straight out of there and into Freddy V Jason.....another good one that had some good scares......this is one we went through ultra quickly so I missed some of the scenes I was looking out for. An excellent house that we looked forward to doing again to see what we missed. We missed out AwIL....would go back to that another time as queue looked big already even EP. This was the joy of being able to go so many nights, we could go back to ones where the queue was too long.......so before Body Collectors we went into Twister store and saw some of the amazing props from previous HHN. I knew a few but some were ones we had missed.........really cool to see though

i-csrw8Xh-X2.jpg

i-jTjQcDs-X2.jpg

i-W7TvCJs-X2.jpg

i-ZTKRVH9-X2.jpg

i-GxBm3Bv-X2.jpg

i-qdcs9fx-X2.jpg

Was nice to just see them and remember some of those previous events. But on to Body Collectors......I can`t remember how long the EP queue was but we think it was around 10 minutes, but compared to regular queue it was nothing.....it was long!! Got to the front and I had no idea what to expect from this house at all.........wow......I was blown away by it all......even Tom mentioned how beautiful the façade was and eerily quite authentic.........this house was full of jumps from beginning to end.....loved it, Tom got some of the biggest laughs ever in this house from me......I still get surprised all the time.......didn`t want this house to end actually......till we got to the end............I froze big time......I am terrified (not proud of it) of little people. And at the end was a proper little person. I truly freaked out and if Tom hadn`t shoved me and propelled me out I`d still be stood there!!! Said I wouldn`t do that house again.....I did though.......one of the police officers asked me if was ok.......lol........said I was fine....loved being scared but when it`s something you have a phobia of.....bit different. But what an amazing house........I think that house was the best overall when we spoke about it later.

Wandered through Psychoscareapy zone......this was so good......one of my favourite houses from few years ago, so I hoped the scare zone was as good.......it wasn`t scary as such, but so much fun and again TM seriously were amazing getting into character.......

i-ZC77kvW-X2.jpg

i-GhvPcfs-X2.jpg

i-CWcrvZd-X2.jpg

i-CxQ2NL7-X2.jpg

And the much loved Blood bag nurses......sadly this was going to be the last year we saw these ladies dressed this way........

i-P8SQct3-X2.jpg

I swear I have my husband with me.......he loves taking pictures and he usually ends up with the camera....hoping to capture me being scared witless....or silent!!!! It was really hot tonight......big change from last years opening night when we got drenched......so this was nice, but we knew we were not going to be late as first day can drain us.......but we wandered around to Insidious which one one I was really looking forward to as was Tom.....it`s one of our favourite movies. Walking through a couple of scare zones on the way.....

i-3jpbCx7-X2.jpg

i-pKpWW3K-X2.jpg

i-JLL94Ls-X2.jpg

SA were brilliant posing for pictures this year.....best year I can remember getting so many pics of roaming SA......but we were at Insidious now and regular queue was already 70 minutes.......we got on in 10 minutes.......it brought back memories of the queue for the Myers house last year, it was 90 minutes almost immediately.......but again this house was exceptional.......missed the scares first visit except the ones at the end......wow that was spooky.......again, the cast are just amazing in all these houses. This was a top 5 house without doubt.

Although it was fairly early we were feeling the heat and tiredness was creeping in a bit........I never complain about the heat however warm as we wait all year for it........but it can creep up on you sometimes. So we wandered back to head out of the park knowing we would get them all done other nights......Insidious queue was now 90 minutes apparently when we came out. Thanked our lucky stars for EP every time.

Walked past Simpsons area and through to Evil Roots scare zone........this looked so good......

i-fXkPqxk-X2.jpg

i-XgCJcxP-X2.jpg

Pumpkinhead guy is an old favourite of ours from previous years......first year we went I thought he was a prop and stood beside him for a picture......when Tom took picture he slowly moved his head and I ran and screamed quicker and louder than I knew I could....lol......so definitely a favourite!!!

i-MRQB4SG-X2.jpg

i-tfWNxgB-X2.jpg

i-p48Stht-X2.jpg

More in next post..........

Last edited:
I love seeing people's pics from HHN because I'm the sort of person that's terrified of stuff like that even though I know it's fake. I have a horrible startle reflex (PTSD from childhood trauma) and I can't do anything like that, but I LOVE seeing pics. Glad you had a good time!

Continued..........

This zone is so good, and the fog is a cool addition as they used a lot of it......so they really could creep up on you so easily....even when you were looking right at them at times......lol........

We were soon in the scare zone I was most looking forward to.....Icons........I had heard about a lot of these other people who had gone for years like Metro West and macraven, so I was excited to see them in the flesh.......this was so well done it was stunning!!! We were so impressed and could have spent ages just wandering round there alone.......and I finally have some pictures of my husband to show he was actually there.......

i-HcnWxqJ-X2.jpg

i-K6675tZ-X2.jpg

i-mQptV3L-X2.jpg

i-BL9RHt6-X2.jpg

i-wHgtRwq-X2.jpg

i-8w7w7vv-X2.jpg

i-fddMjZV-X2.jpg

We spent ages in this zone.......we took other characters other nights, we did get them all just not on the one night.......we headed out towards the exit but not before taking obligatory picture with fake Jack in the store.........

i-5htLkgr-X2.jpg

And some nice merchandise.......

i-Db4BcMj-X2.jpg

Now we really were starting to feel whooped, so headed to exit and got the boat back to hotel as there was one waiting. As we hadn`t gone anywhere for dinner earlier we planned to go to Jake`s for dinner......so went straight down and were seated immediately. It was fairly quiet. We ordered a beer and me a boragora cocktail.....forgot to ask for it without mint but it was still nice. We shared a meat pizza with added jalapenos.........and some blue cheese dip......we both hate blue cheese anything.....but the in house recipe they make at RPR is lush!!!!

i-2JpmXVx-X2.jpg

i-V5d3dwC-X2.jpg

i-CJRDHwD-X2.jpg

We thoroughly enjoyed the pizza, and decided we would try and stay awake a bit longer as it wasn`t really that late, so we headed up to sit in Orchids lounge for a while, so we did just that. I ordered in honour of my home alone son, a non alcoholic strawberry daiquiri that he would usually order.......he did ask I had one....

i-LBTLbWK-X2.jpg

This was so gorgeous and very refreshing, Tom had a beer. We sat till around 10.45pm where all of a sudden tiredness hit us like a baseball bat....so went up to our room and I quickly got ready and I`m sure I was asleep before I hit the pillow as I don`t remember anything. Those beds are so comfortable and pillows so soft it helped make for a great nights sleep.

Last edited:
I love seeing people's pics from HHN because I'm the sort of person that's terrified of stuff like that even though I know it's fake. I have a horrible startle reflex (PTSD from childhood trauma) and I can't do anything like that, but I LOVE seeing pics. Glad you had a good time!

You have good reason to avoid it then......shame, as I`m sure you would love it otherwise....it really is so much fun :hug:

Glad you`re enjoying the pics though.......and we had a blast every night we went......:goodvibes

So I just read last years trip report about 2 months ago and really enjoyed it. When October hit I got excited because I knew another report was on it's way. Thanks for not disappointing me. I love the RP as well but have only been once. My Mother just moved to Florida so I know we will be visiting way more and staying at the RP again.

Love your reports Carole!!! We missed our kids this March as well but had such a great stay at RPR - club level. Does it bother you that you were on the 6th floor not the 7 th? Our keys for the elevators ( club access) didn't always work . Was Michael, Bryan and Justin still there? They spoke so fondly of you and your family. We can hardly wait to go back - but at least I can sit back and enjoy your wonderful report. Wooohooo!

So I just read last years trip report about 2 months ago and really enjoyed it. When October hit I got excited because I knew another report was on it's way. Thanks for not disappointing me. I love the RP as well but have only been once. My Mother just moved to Florida so I know we will be visiting way more and staying at the RP again.

Welcome along.......glad you enjoyed the other trip report......hope you like this one too.........how lovely you'll be able to visit RP more often.........we met a couple in Club Lounge who live in Ft Lauderdale and visit RP every 3 weeks for 2 or 3 days........nice to be a couple of hours away. Thanks for the nice comments I appreciate it.......:wave2:

Love your reports Carole!!! We missed our kids this March as well but had such a great stay at RPR - club level. Does it bother you that you were on the 6th floor not the 7 th? Our keys for the elevators ( club access) didn't always work . Was Michael, Bryan and Justin still there? They spoke so fondly of you and your family. We can hardly wait to go back - but at least I can sit back and enjoy your wonderful report. Wooohooo!

Hey......nice to see you again.......::yes::

We usually stay on the 6th floor as we prefer it and no it's never been an issue with access cards not working.......only once couple of years ago on our last day we had an issue, but front desk sorted it and said it was because it hadn't been programmed for long enough. We moved over to T1 after a few days this year, as was very kindly arranged for us after he showed us the new rooms.......not an issue either walking from one tower to another as they are so close

Mike, Brian and Justin are gone from CL......Mike left about a month before we arrived, he went somewhere else. His replacement is Anthony who is super sweet.......Brian left and went to join his wife in Germany but they are back in the States now, his brother is one of the valet guys......absolute image of Brian! And Justin was training to be on the front desk when we were there. Yes we got in so well with all of them........Thomas is still there but for the most part there were lots of new faces. But because we are there for so long we are lucky to be able to get to know them too........Colby is still there.......young guy, super cool and so nice......lol.......Im sure you'll be back before you know it........with or without kids......lol......

Thanks again for the lovely comments.............and nice to have you reading along..............really hope you like this one too :wave2:

Thanks for the update - maybe the club rooms will be done by the time we return.:flower1:

Great pictures!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter