• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Annual Reading Goal Challenge for 2016 - Come and join us!

Book #70 Ruth's Journey by Donald McCaig
Book #71 The Christmas Tree Bride by Susan Page Davis
Book #72 An unexpected Christmas Baby by Emma Morgan
Book #73 Anne of the Island by LM Montgomery
Book #74 The Nativity Bride by Miralee Ferrell
Book #75 A Sudden Christmas Family by Emma Morgan
Book #76 Anne of Windy Poplars by LM Montgomery
Book #77 The Festive Bride by Diana Lesire Brandmeyer
Book #78 A Lonely Christmas Bride by Emma Morgan
Book #79 Anne's House of Dreams by LM Montgomery
Book #80 Anne of Ingleside by LM Montgomery
Book #81 Rainbow Valley by LM Montgomery
Book #82 The Christmas Star Bride by Amanda Cabot
Book #83 Rilla of Ingleside by LM Montgomery
Book #84 The Blythes are Quoted by LM Montgomery

Book #85 Christmas Roses by Amanda Cabot
Book #86 If you lived here you would be perfect by now by Robin Hardwick
Book #87 Christ the Lord by Anne Rice
Book #88 A Christmas Story by Jean Shephard
Book #89 Wishin' and Hopin' by Wally Lamb
Book #90 The Christmas Cookie Club by Ann Pearlman
Book #91 The Christmas Angel by Abbie Farwell Brown
Book #92 A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
Book #93 The Legend of the Poinsettia by Tomie de Paola
Book #94 When Sparks Fly by Sabrina Jeffries
Book #95 The Fruitcake Bride by Vickie McDonough
Book #96 The Snowbound Bride by Davalynn Spencer
Book #97 12 Days of Fruitcake by Nancy Hill
Book #98 The Autobiography of Santa Clas by Jeff Guinn
Book #99 Joy to the World by Scott Hahn
Book #100 A Pair of Christmas Sisters by Emma Morgan

#67 - Deep Storm by Lincoln Child

This sci-fi science thriller was oddly relevant to today's issues regarding technology and nuclear power.

#68 - The Obsidian Chamber by Lincoln Child and Douglas Preston

This is the first Pendergast novel in awhile where I was annoyed at their depiction of female characters. The two main ones still felt a bit two-dimensional, but they at least have agency and aren't put in danger of sexual violence for no good reason.

I have three days to finish two more books and hit 70. I think I can do it.

Finished book #78/65 - Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter

This book draws you in and is a quick read. Warning, there are some horribly gruesome, very graphic details in this story of what the killer does to these women that can be hard to read. Overall, I give it 3 Stars.

More than twenty years ago, Claire and Lydia's teenaged sister Julia vanished without a trace. The two women have not spoken since, and now their lives could not be more different. Claire is the glamorous trophy wife of an Atlanta millionaire. Lydia, a single mother, dates an ex-con and struggles to make ends meet. But neither has recovered from the horror and heartbreak of their shared loss—a devastating wound that's cruelly ripped open when Claire's husband is killed.
The disappearance of a teenage girl and the murder of a middle-aged man, almost a quarter-century apart: what could connect them? Forming a wary truce, the surviving sisters look to the past to find the truth, unearthing the secrets that destroyed their family all those years ago . . . and uncovering the possibility of redemption, and revenge, where they least expect it.

I am currently reading A Murder In Time and trying to get it finished by the end of the year.

#82 - Empire of Storms by Sarah Maas

From Goodreads: The long path to the throne has only just begun for Aelin Galathynius. Loyalties have been broken and bought, friends have been lost and gained, and those who possess magic find themselves at odds with those don't.

As the kingdoms of Erilea fracture around her, enemies must become allies if Aelin is to keep those she loves from falling to the dark forces poised to claim her world. With war looming on all horizons, the only chance for salvation lies in a desperate quest that may mark the end of everything Aelin holds dear.

Aelin's journey from assassin to queen has entranced millions across the globe, and this fifth installment will leave fans breathless. Will Aelin succeed in keeping her world from splintering, or will it all come crashing down?

I'm still enjoying this series very much. The world of the novels and the cast of characters have expanded rapidly over the last two books, but it never gets hard to follow or confusing because each character is so unique. But the book ends on a major cliffhanger so the wait for book six is going to be a long one!

#83 - The Third Wave by Steve Case

From Goodreads: In The Third Wave, which pays homage to the work of the futurist Alvin Toffler (from whom Case has borrowed the title, and whose work inspired him as a young man), Case takes us behind the scenes of some of the most consequential and riveting business decisions of our time while offering illuminating insights from decades of working as an entrepreneur, an investor, a philanthropist, and an advocate for sensible bipartisan policies.

We are entering, as Case explains, a new paradigm called the “Third Wave” of the Internet. The first wave saw AOL and other companies lay the foundation for consumers to connect to the Internet. The second wave saw companies like Google and Facebook build on top of the Internet to create search and social networking capabilities, while apps like Snapchat and Instagram leverage the smartphone revolution. Now, Case argues, we’re entering the Third Wave: a period in which entrepreneurs will vastly transform major “real world” sectors like health, education, transportation, energy, and food—and in the process change the way we live our daily lives. But success in the Third Wave will require a different skill set, and Case outlines the path forward.

The Third Wave is part memoir, part manifesto, and part playbook for the future. With passion and clarity, Case explains the ways in which newly emerging technology companies (a growing number of which, he argues, will not be based in Silicon Valley) will have to rethink their relationships with customers, with competitors, and with governments; and offers advice for how entrepreneurs can make winning business decisions and strategies—and how all of us can make sense of this changing digital age.

This was surprisingly accessible and did an excellent job combining anecdotes, history, and predictions for the future of technology into a compact and concise book. Case's premise is really interesting, talking about the "internet of things" taken to a logical if not immediately obvious next step, and his pragmatic view of the role of government was unusually insightful and balanced compared to a lot of the hyper-partisan theories that dominate these days. I would have liked to see deeper, more in depth discussion of some of the ideas and concepts the book touched on, but it was a good primer that made me want to explore the subject more fully.

#69 - This is Where It Ends by Marieke Nijkamp

The story of a school shooter. This one is tough because I liked the writing style and the way it read. But the characters are horrible. All stereotypes. Stupid choices just to build tension. So much promise in the concept but really disappointing in the end.

#70 - Stop Walking on Eggshells by Paul Mason

This is about dealing with people who have borderline personality disorder and it was also disappointing. Would have liked more specific examples. Lots of generalities, common sense, and platitudes.

This year went so fast and I don't even remember when I last posted on this thread. DD has been sick on and off for the past few months. She had mono which caused us to reschedule our trip to Disney World, so now we are going in May. So it's been crazy and I forgot to post on here to mention what books I was reading. I just counted up what I read for the year and it's 110! My goal was 100 so I'm pleased with that! Some of the more memorable books...

The Selection series by Kiera Cass. 5 books in the series plus the novella. I loved the first 3 books but the last 2 in the series I could have done without. The novella was really good too.

Troublemaker
- Leah Remini. I liked reading about her life.
Balancing it all - Candace Cameron Bure I love her and this book was about her marriage and her faith. I liked it a lot.
Ready Player One - Ernest Cline Hard to explain, but about a boy in a gaming world. Loved this!
The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender - Leslye Walton My favorite book of the year. About a girl born with wings. Sounds weird but it was incredible!
Fangirl - Rainbow Rowell A girl in college obsessed with writing fan fiction about a series like Harry Potter. so cute!
Keep Me Posted - Lisa Beazley - about sisters who find their grandparents love letters and realize to cut out social media and become pen pals. cute, but the ending was blah.
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea- April Genevieve Tucholke New boy moves to town, turns out he's the devil... I kind of liked this one.
Dark Horses - Cecily von Ziegesar about a girl riding horses as a form of rehab for being a rebellious teen Told in alternating views, the girl and the horse she rides. sounds weird, but it was really interesting

I read a lot of books that I had high hopes for, books that had a great premise, but just fell short. Here are a few...

Fracture by Megan Miranda - about a girl in an accident, she fell through the ice and then was able to tell when people would die.
Consent by Nancy Ohlin - a girl that had a relationship with her music teacher. the first 3/4 of the book was good and then the ending stunk.
The Detour by S.A. Bodeen - an author who was kidnapped for stealing a book idea. this was so bad. She didn't fight to get out at all! So frustrating!
This is Where it ends by Marieke Nijkamp - about a school shooting told from the perspective of 4 students. I wish one of the perspectives had been from the shooter. It was ok.

I can't believe that this year is over. I had grand plans to reread the Harry Potter series , but that didn't happen. So hopefully I will get to those in 2017!

Happy New Year everyone!

I met my goal of 60 books! My favorite book of the year was Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare. I rarely visit the Disboards anymore, but I will definitely continue to do my own personal challenge on Goodreads for 2017.

10: The Escape by Mary Balogh
11: Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
12: Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
13: Immortal in Death by JD Robb
14: Anne of Green Gables by LM Montgomery
15: Anne of Avonlea by LM Montgomery
16 Anne of the Island by LM Montgomery
17: Anne's House of Dreams by LM Montgomery
18: Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan
19: Timeless by Gail Carriger
20: Texas Destiny by Lorraine Heath
21: The American Heiress by Daisy Goodwin
22: A Week to be Wicked by Tessa Dare
23: Only Enchanting by Mary Balogh
24: The Obsession by Nora Roberts
25: The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah
26: The Scorch Trials by James Dashner
27: High Noon by Nora Roberts
28: Only a Promise by Mary Balogh
29: Only a Kiss by Mary Balogh
30: Only Beloved by Mary Balogh
31: The Beast by JR Ward
32: Carry On by Rainbow Rowell
33: Someone to Watch Over Me by Lisa Kleypas
34: The Death Cure by James Dashner
35: Rapture in Death by JD Robb
36: Honest Illusions by Nora Roberts
37: Private Scandals by Nora Roberts
38: Hidden Riches by Nora Roberts
39: True Betrayals by Nora Roberts
40: Montana Sky by Nora Roberts
41: Bay of Sighs by Nora Roberts
42: Marrying Winterborne by Lisa Kleypas
43: Mary Poppins by PL Travers
44: When a Scot Ties the Knot by Tessa Dare
45: Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne
46: First Comes Marriage by Mary Balogh
47: Wicked Ties by Shayla Black
48: A Lady by Midnight by Tessa Dare
49: Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy by Cassandra Clare
50: The Bane Chronicles by Cassandra Clare
51: Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare
52: Decadent by Shayla Black
53: Ceremony in Death by JD Robb
54: The Captive by Grace Burrows
55: The Traitor by Grace Burrows
56: The Fortune Hunter by Daisy Goodwin
57: Any Duchess Will Do by Tessa Dare
58: The Wild Rose by Jennifer Donnelly
59: A Gentleman's Game by Theresa Romain
60: The Kingmaker's Daughter by Philippa Gregory

#65/72

The Girls in the Garden by Lisa Jewell--Pretty good but was one of those that try to pull it all together in the last chapter to explain everything.

Well, I fell 7 books short of my goal this year when I usually go over.

The past few months I haven't read as much because of pain issues. Read a little whenever I can but mostly at night and that's kinda hard to do with pain meds that make you drowsy, lol. All in all, just had hip replacement surgery last week so pain should be much better now without medicine.

Wishing everyone Happy New Year & hope someone will start up a new 2017 Reading Challenge thread.

I forgot about this thread! Been busy reading....read 101 books this year so I met my 75 book goal. My favorite had to be Home by Harlan Coben. I had been waiting for him to continue the story of Myron Bolitar. :love:

-Dianne

35/30 -Seinfeldia

As suggested in this thread. I really liked it.

I liked it as well!

My favorite this year is a tie between Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania by Erik Lawson and Under the Wide and Starry Sky by Nancy Horan.

Is there a thread for 2017?

#22 The Racketeer by John Grisham

Okay story as incarcerated lawyer whom says he can identify/prove murderer of judge for leniency. Pace was really good and thought I had it figured but there is a big twist that I did not see coming. Could have done more with the ending but I was glad about that because I finished yesterday in time for 2016. By far the most books I've ever read in a year.

(If anyone is interested, I would gladly send kindle gift versions of any of my works, Written for You , Cemetery Girl, Three Twigs for the Campfire, or Reigning. You can see them reviewed on goodreads. Just PM here or there or like post.)

I'm finally going to finish my list for the year.

81. Until Proven Guilty by JA Jance
I picked this up on the recommendation of my SIL. It is the first in the JP Beaumont series. My SIL really enjoys them. I thought it was just ok. This establishes the character of JP Beaumont, a Seattle homicide detective. The drama was ok and I'll probably continue with the series but I'm not hopping on it.

82. The Eye of Minds by James Dashner
This is by the same author as the Maze Runner series. It is the first of the Mortality Doctrine series. this was about a virtual gaming environment where the player is totally immersed. The government challenges the main character to find a dangerous hacker. I liked it. It was different and I look forward to reading more of the series.

83. Bruno and the Carol Singers: A Christmas Mystery of the French Countryside by Martin Walker
Closing in on Christmas I like to read a few Christmas themed books and I've had this on my virtual library list of a couple of years. Bruno is the chief of police in a small village. He is the master of organizing all the holiday activities. some fund raising money goes missing and he must try to recover it. The story is really pretty short and kind of fun.

84. Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns
I really enjoyed this. It is a coming of age story of a young boy in 1906 in Cold Sassy, GA. The thing that hit me most about this was that minus the lack of technology this could be a story written today.

85. Holiday on Ice by David Sedaris
This was a collection of essays by David Sedaris. Some were funny but not really laugh out loud funny and some were not. I dont think I would recommend it to anyone.

86. The Mistletoe Promise by Richard Paul Evans
Okay, it RPE and its a Christmas book, what more do I need to say. Sweet and sappy and perfect for the season. This one has a lonely woman approached by a man in the cafeteria of where she works. He wants to have a contract with her to accompany him to some holiday events between Thanksgiving and Christmas. She agrees...What?! Who would do that? Anyway, as usal it turns out well and is a fun book.

87. The Christmas Light by Donna LanViere
From Goodreads: In the small town of Grandon, five very different people discover the true meaning of Christmas. Jennifer and Ryan are both single parents, struggling with their own losses and heartache as they attempt to move forward in the present while still holding onto the memories, joy, and heartache of the past. Sixteen-year-old Kaylee is faced with a life-changing situation that has affected her whole family. Stephen and Lily are happily married and ready to start a family. All of them are facing their own struggles, and all are finding their way through the dark. When they are brought together for a rather unconventional church Nativity, they will learn that with strength, courage, and love, there is always hope.

Another sweet Christmas story. Fun for the season.

88. The Mistletoe Inn by Richard Paul Evans
Another RPE, in this one the girl goes away to a writing seminar and meets soul seraching and romance. What I liked bout this one was the book she was supposed to be writing was The Mistletoe Promise that I had just finished. It was fun for the season.

89. Calling Invisible Women by Jeanne Ray
Clover wakes up one morning discovering she is invisible! And no one notices! This was a lot of fun.

Now on to 2017!

I completed my goal!

#11/12 - Screwtape Letters - CS Lewis

#12/12 - Letters From Father Christmas - JRR Tolkien

Both classics and both enjoyable!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter