• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Annual Reading Goal Challenge for 2016 - Come and join us!

wilma-bride

<<This space intentionally blank>>
Firsty, a massive thanks to @threeboysmom for doing such a fabulous job of running the Reading Goal Challenge threads for the last couple of years. I have offered to take over for 2016, so here we go everybody.

I have loved participating in these threads the last two years and read so many great books that I probably wouldn't even have given a second glance if it were not for your recommendations. So thank you :hug:

I cannot wait to see what we have in store for 2016!!!

Thanks to everybody who took part in 2015, whether you met your goal or not, I hope the thread encouraged you to read more than you might otherwise have done.

So, without further ado, to readers old and new, here is how it works:

Everyone that wants to participate should state the number of books they are aiming to read in 2016. I will keep a record of everyone's goals in this post.

If there are any books you are really looking forward to reading in 2016 or any recommendations for a particular book or books you read in 2015 that you would like to share, please also post and I will list those here.

As you finish each book (or multiple books), add a new post with a brief summary and/or opinion of the book and what you plan on reading next (if you know).

If you have any suggestions on how we could improve things, please let me know.

HAPPY READING! :grouphug:

2016 Participants

wilma-bride - 15/50 books
threeboysmom - 8/35 books
Soldier's*Sweeties - 1/??? books
kmb584 -
18/100 books
willowsnn3 - 15/72 books
zippitydoo - 11/50 books
Christine - 12/50 books
MochaDrinker - 30/200 books
ZFamily5 - 2/50 books
penguin1102 - 35 books
JaneBanks - 30 books
superme80 - 30 books
Glynis - 16/35 books
jasmom1022 - 75 books
FlightlessDuck - 4/15 books
Colleen27 - 33/52 books
CallieMar - 10/60 books
A Small World - 2/20 books
SimbaLover - 52 books
jevs - 12 books
StitchesGr8Fan - 8/15 books
learningtolive - 50 books
PigletsPal2 - 9/no set goal
miksilver - 16/35 books
Kogo Shuko - 10/35 books
KateP85 - 2/30 books
dizluvah - 4/50 books
camreesmom - 3/15 books
xlsm - 4/47 books
swimchick1984 - 2/60 books
BonnieF - 11/40 books
#1hoosierfan - 4/30 books
tinkerbellfan6880 - 50 books
E&Cmom - 12/50 books
asta - 3/20 books
Neesy228 - 2/12 books
piglet too - 16/120 books
hulagirl87 - 24/100
jenny105 - 6/30 books
NHdisneylover - 4/12 books
WowLookAtThat - 15/100 books
Swimnoid - 15/80 books
portia9 - 15/80 books
reginaastralis - 1/50 books
Cogswel_Cogs - 5/20 books
tinkerbellandeeyor - 14/24 books (Original target met and increased)
Sparkly - 1/52 books
tiggrbaby - 15/50 books
nemofans - 19/65 books
K and K's Mommy - 11/30 books
moniqueand2 - 14/30 books
BumbleB - 14/100 books
Mary Jo - ??? books
Kewz1 - 3/12 books
kahblue - 3/20 books
meajuly5 - 1/45 books
Disneylover42 - 12/52 books
Kirby - 11/80 books
mayonegg - 6/52 books
keener cam - 9/175 books
mommysaurus - 7/24 books
queenofthehive - 15 books
mummabear - 5 books
Deffenm - 5/50 books
rsagusti - 6/52 books
cayennews - 5 books
dromio42 - 1/35 books
h518may - 1/20 books

2015 Favourite Books

Still Alice by Lisa Genova
The Story of Beautiful Girl by Rachel Simon
The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
The Quality of Silence by Rosamund Lupton
Wayward Pines by Blake Crouch
Bird Box by Josh Malerman
The Werewolf of Bamberg by Oliver Potzsch
The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah
The Martian by Andy Weir
Stars of Fortune by Nora Roberts
Come Rain or Come Shine by Jan Karon
Throne of Glass (series) by Sarah J Maas
The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde
Three Times Lucky by Sheila Turnage
All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill
Need by Joelle Charbonneau
Undertow by Michael Buckley
A God in Ruins by Kate Atkinson
Me Before You by Jojo Moyes
At the Water's Edge by Sara Gruen
The Longest Ride by Nicholas Sparks
My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman
Confessions of a Prairie ***** by Alison Arngrim
Take Me With You by Catherine Ryan Hyde
The Life Intended by Kristen Harmel

Anticipated Books for 2016

Fool Me Once by Harlan Coben
The Distant Hours by Kate Morton
Cometh the Hour by Jeffrey Archer

Dead Water: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania by Erik Larson
The Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll
Murder House by James Patterson
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey
Glass Sword by Victoria Aveyard
A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas
Throne of Glass #5 (as yet untitled) by Sarah J. Maas
The Hidden Oracle by Rick Riordan
The Crown by Kiera Cass
The Siren by Kiera Cass

Last edited:
You can set my goal to "???" :)

I don't want to set a number goal because I'm super busy with school and life in general. I do live being a part of these threads though and contributing my reviews.

Can't wait to see what everyone reads!

My 2015 favorites were The Wayward Pines series and Bird Box(I will come back and add authors since I'm on my phone right now ).

Last edited:
I'll set my goal at 100 again. :) I participated in the 2015 challenge but stopped updating in the post. I finished the year with 119 books under my belt.

You can set my goal to "???" :)

I don't want to set a number goal because I'm super busy with school and life in general. I do live being a part of these threads though and contributing my reviews.

Can't wait to see what everyone reads!

My 2015 favorites were The Wayward Pines series and Bird Box(I will come back and add authors since I'm on my phone right now ).

I will gladly do that - glad to have you onboard, with or without a hard and fast goal :)

I have Bird Box on my 'to read' list so might give that one a go early on this year.

I'll set my goal at 100 again. :) I participated in the 2015 challenge but stopped updating in the post. I finished the year with 119 books under my belt.

Welcome. Did you have any particular favourites in 2015?

Setting my goal for 72 again.

I already have a list of books that I want to read but it is at home. Currently ready to pick up at the library is The Accident. And 2 more are in transit to library: A Head Full of Ghosts and Bad Country

#1 Rabbit Proof Fence by Doris Pilkington
#2 The Accident by Chris Pavone
#3 A Head Full Of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay
#4 Deep Freeze by Lisa Jackson
#5 Blackbird House by Alice Hoffman
#6 The Silent Wife by A.S.A. Harrison
#7 Her by Harriet Lane
#8 The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis
#9 Icy Sparks by Gwyn Hyman Rubio
#10 Fatal Burn by Lisa Jackson
#11 Freedom's Child by Jax Miller
#12 Shift by Hugh Howey
#13 Finders Keepers by Stephen King
#14 Friction by Sandra Brown
#15 Standoff by Sandra Brown
#16 River by Roderick Thorp
#17 Dust by Hugh Howey
#18 From The Cradle by Louise Voss & Mark Edwards
#19 After She's Gone by Lisa Jackson
#20 The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
#21 Peace Like A River by Leif Enger
#22 One Bad Thing by Bill Eidson
#23 The Lake House by Kate Morton
#24 Silent Scream by Angela Marsons
#25 Bloody Kin by Margaret Maron
#26 House of Prayer No. 2 by Mark Richard
#27 The Sound of Gravel by Ruth Wariner
#28 1 Step Away by Eric Wilson
#29 The Stolen Child by Keith Donahue
#30 Trust Your Eyes by Linwood Barclay
#31 The Year We Disappeared by Cylin Busby & John Busby
#32 Find Her by Lisa Gardner
#33 Bittersweet by Miranda Beverly-Whittemore
#34 The Hired Girl by Laura Amy Schlitz
#35 The Life We Bury by Allen Eskens
#36 The Good Girl by Mary Kubica
#37 The Widow by Fiona Barton
#38 Pretty Baby by Mary Kubica
#39 Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen
#40 A Simple Plan by Scott Smith
#41 Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane
#42 The Darkest Corners by Kara Thomas
#43 Come Sunday by Isla Morley
#44 Memory Boy by Will Weaver
#45 Darker Than Midnight by Maggie Shayne
#46 Fire Point by John Smolens
#47 The Survivors by Will Weaver
#48 Missing Pieces by Heather Gudenkauf
#49 Long Lost by Harlan Coben
#50 Live Wire by Harlan Coben
#51 Underground Airlines by Ben H. Winters
#52 Black Rabbit Hall by Eve Chase
#53 Fear The Worst by Linwood Barclay
#54 The Black Hour by Lori Rader-Day
#55 Fool Me Once by Harlan Coben
#56 The Singing Bone by Beth Hahn
#57 The Killing Lessons by Saul Black
#58 Missing You by Harlan Coben
#59 Mean Streak by Sandra Brown
#60 Memory Man by David Baldacci
#61 The Night Sister by Jennifer McMahon
#62 Descent by Tim Johnston
#63 Missing Child by Patricia MacDonald
#64 An Untamed State by Roxanne Gay
#65 The Girls in the Garden by Lisa Jewell

Last edited:
Setting my goal for 72 again.

I already have a list of books that I want to read but it is at home. Currently ready to pick up at the library is The Accident. And 2 more are in transit to library: A Head Full of Ghosts and Bad Country

Welcome aboard. Bad Country is on my Amazon wish list. If you read it, I will be interested to see how it is. The Accident? Is that the C. L. Taylor one? That is on my 'to read' list too.

Everyone that wants to participate should state the number of books they are aiming to read in 2016. I'll go for 50 again. I didn't make it in 2015 but I had a lot of gaps and could not find books to read. Hopefully, I can do better with that this year.

If there are any books you are really looking forward to reading in 2016 or any recommendations for a particular book or books you read in 2015 that you would like to share, please also post and I will list those here. I don't have anything I'm looking forward to. Probably one of my favorite books last year was The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah.

As you finish each book (or multiple books), add a new post with a brief summary and/or opinion of the book and what you plan on reading next (if you know). See next paragraph.

If you have any suggestions on how we could improve things, please let me know. The only thing I would like to see is more discussion on books or, when people post, say whether they actually liked the book or not. Many people are just listing their titles and I have no idea if the book was good, it was horrible, etc. Of course, I don't want to make this thread drudgery for someone who doesn't feel like giving opinions, but I almost view this thread as a "book club." So that would be the only improvement that I can think of.

Okay, I'm going to start my count. I started reading late on 31 December but didn't finish until 1/1 or 1/2. Here goes:

#1/#50: Boy in the Trees: A Memoir by Carly Simon. I definitely enjoyed this book. It got a little rambly and existential in some parts, but I found Carly Simon to be very down to earth and honest. Her details about her marriage to James Taylor were somewhat heartbreaking and I sense that she's still not quite over that one. Enjoyed her descriptions of Mick Jagger as well as her personal discussions on anxiety.

#2/#50: Pogue's Basics: Life: Essential Tips and Shortcuts (That No One Bothers to Tell You) for Simplifying Your Day by David Pogue. This was a *cute* easy read and actually had some good tips in there that I had never heard of. Since I'm in my 50s, I've heard or experienced many of these, but I keep thinking this might be a nice gift for someone just starting out on their own. The author also has a previous book on technological shortcuts and tips that I probably should be reading!

I just started All the Stars in the Heavens by Adriana Trigiani. Not sure entirely what it's about but seems to be about the Golden Age of Hollywood and is based on a true story (with a lot of fiction woven in).

I've followed along in the past but decided to join in this year. With school books, there isn't a ton of time for "free reading" but put me down for 50, please.

Right now I'm loving anything and everything by Jodi Picoult. I don't know how I just found her but she's the current go-to author for me. Looking forward to getting suggestions from all of you!

I would love to participate in this years challenge. Last year I made my goal 100 but did not get anywhere close. This year I think I am going to start my goal at 35 and can always up it if I need to. I look forward to some great new suggestions this year.

Hello!

I'm going to set my goal to 30 with the hopes of actually completing it this year. lol I would really like to go beyond my goal. We shall see.

Right now I'm on a Phillipa Gregory kick so I'm finishing up her Cousin's War series. I'm going to take a little break but then eventually finish up her Tudor Court series.

I plan on reading some classics, more Agatha Christie and I'm really in the mood to read some high fantasy books.

My goal is 30 new books. I am going to attempt, for like the 5th time in my lifetime, to read...Les Mis. We shall see how it goes!

I would like to join in again, as well. I didn't meet my goal in 2015, so I'm lowering the number of books. Put me down for 35 books. I just went back to teaching, so my time is more limited now, but I NEED to continue reading to keep my sanity. Reading papers by my 8th and 9th graders just doesn't always cut it for me!

I don't know of anything that I'm really looking forward to reading this year. I enjoy all types of books, and have a notebook full of titles that I've started working my way through. Hopefully, this year I'll make some progress!

Last edited:
I followed the 2015 Challenge. I got many good book recommendations, so thank you.

Would love to join this year. Looking to read 75 books. Last year I read 81 that I can remember as I tried to keep a list.

I am really looking forward to Harlan Coben's new book that's due out in March!:yay:

Dianne

I will join again this year. My goal for 2016: 15 books (went for 12 last year, ending up reading 14).

Favorite book of 2015: The Martian by Andy Weir

On my list of things to read this year: The Paladin Caper (currently reading), Between the World and Me, The Watsons Go to Birmingham - 1963, Heir to the Jedi, Weapon of a Jedi, Smuggler's Run, Moving Target, New Republic: Bloodlines, Aftermath: Life Debt, Brotherhood in Death.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter