• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ALL RESORTS BOOKED FROM OCT to JAN

As a family of 4, we prefer 1BR's over studios and we only own 150 points. I would be over the moon if the cost of a 1BR were reduced:cloud9:. We also typically travel Sun-Fri (5 nights) and the reallocation back in 2010 was a big blow for us. Lowering the point requirement for a 1BR would go a long way in getting us back to the plans we started with in 2008 when we bought in.:yay:

NOT GONNA HAPPEN!

NOT GONNA HAPPEN!

Point adjustments are inevitable. There have been some modifications to the charts almost every year for the last 8 years. Given how DVC has made a concerted effort to sell smaller and smaller contracts and expand the occupancy of Studio villas, it's practically a given that One Bedroom occupancy has fallen. Seems inevitable that One Bedroom costs will decrease.

The changes could be slight (just certain resorts, certain seasons, small number of points) or they could be dramatic. The additional burden could be placed solely on Studio rooms or it could be spread among Studio, 2B and even 3B villas.

But it will happen.

Last edited:
Subject to availability. This time of year has been more popular for both points and cash reservations. There is no free dining in October this year (except maybe October 1), so that shows cash rooms are full. Discounts are unlikely.

I've been a member since 1999 and have never not gotten a room I wanted if I booked at 7 months or earlier. Not only home resort, but all of the WDW DVC resorts except SSR (never tried). Also 4 for 4 at VGC at 7 months.

Oh, good to know! I was not aware that discount is not all the time. Thanks for the info

I'd be thrilled if they reduced the 1BR because I'd switch out from a studio or maybe even add a few more points. But I may be in the minority.

I'd be thrilled if they reduced the 1BR because I'd switch out from a studio or maybe even add a few more points. But I may be in the minority.

Well, I'm with you on hoping the difference in points needed between studios and 1 BRs decreases, but probably not for the same reason. We'd just like it if our 1 BR points went further.

Well get the popcorn out, looks like this has morphed into a point reallocation thread.popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::

Kinda goes hand-in-hand with availability issues. There's a correlation between cost and demand.

Hmmmm - can't decide if I'd be happy to use less points for our 1BR's or unhappy as the goal would be to make them more popular and thus more difficult to book in comparison to how it is today. :yo-yo:

I still think this would be a bad move. Some that bought points planning to book mostly studios are able to take more vacations than they would if the points change. While it would be good for those who like 1brs and have the points, maybe it would make more sense to raise the grand villas a little more and decrease 1 brs. Or better yet just decrease the 1brs without increasing any haha (yeah I know)

Or. Here's a thought. The points system has to stay the same in total, but that's a mix of per night and per season charges.

If DVC is going to allocate Fall higher, then instead of making another season cheaper, make 1BRs cheaper.

Given that studios were already more popular than 1 BR and that the changes you reference will further alter than demand, I suspect we'll see a reallocation in a few years raising studios by 10-15% and lowering 1BR by a similar amount.

It would make sense (and I would incredibly unhappy about this). And it would make sense to increase points required from the end of September to Early January. And yet, neither has happened. I wonder why.

Can't anybody get a discount on cash reservations, assuming you book during a period when they are offered for the general public? Or is the opinion that DVC members should get discounts on cash reservations at all times? I'm not sure why Disney would offer that. They don't have problems filling resorts on cash reservations at popular times, so they don' t need to offer targeted discounts to persons who already have timeshare interests.

It would make sense (and I would incredibly unhappy about this). And it would make sense to increase points required from the end of September to Early January. And yet, neither has happened. I wonder why.
Well, we know that DVCMC has reallocated in the past to fix problems in demand vs. supply---the weekend/weekday reallocation is one example. So, there is some threshold at which they would also reallocate seasonal mis-matches in demand. Presumably, we haven't hit that threshold yet.

Well, we know that DVCMC has reallocated in the past to fix problems in demand vs. supply---the weekend/weekday reallocation is one example. So, there is some threshold at which they would also reallocate seasonal mis-matches in demand. Presumably, we haven't hit that threshold yet.

Well, it wasn't long ago that the forum was filled with threads complaining that at 11 months at their resorts they couldn't get the rooms they wanted. The witch hunt was against walking, but I think it really was just a demand/supply issue caused by the low points needed for a desiderable period. If we judge by the standard used to decide that Tree Houses were needed a reallocation, then I think we've already hit that threashold, at least for early December, 3 or 4 years ago.

I just don't get this obsession with the bungalows. The DVC program has had high-priced Grand Villas for 25 years now, and nobody has ever tracked their occupancy and speculated over reallocations. Heck, SSR alone has 36 Grand Villas--nearly twice the number of bungalows. And every time I've looked, there were more openings for a larger SSR grand villa than a Poly bungalow.

Additionally, there are far greater imbalances in the point system. Early December has been over-priced (respective to demand) for more than a decade. Fall demand continues to climb. Yet the fixation with the bungalows continues.

I realize that the bungalows are not affordable for most members--myself included. But they are TWENTY ROOMS out of THOUSANDS in the entire DVC program. It doesn't take much demand to fill that tiny number of villas.
I think the bungalow obsession is a combination of
1) no common 1BR and 2BR villas.
People aren't hugely "anti-beach cottages"at Vero Beach because there are a variety of villas available for all vacation styles. If VGF only had studios and Grand Villas, we'd see much of the same reaction.

2) (and a lesser issue) Grand Villas sleep 12, and common people assume their main use is large gatherings of family and friends, a more "noble" cause than luxury for "me, me, me." There is the greater chance average people get treated to a GV stay than a Bungalow stay

I think the bungalow obsession is a combination of
1) no common 1BR and 2BR villas.
People aren't hugely "anti-beach cottages"at Vero Beach because there are a variety of villas available for all vacation styles. If VGF only had studios and Grand Villas, we'd see much of the same reaction.

I understand the criticism due to lack of 1 and 2B villas. My comment was directed more toward the topic of bungalow occupancy. You said "They need to reduce bungalow points." Why?

2) (and a lesser issue) Grand Villas sleep 12, and common people assume their main use is large gatherings of family and friends, a more "noble" cause than luxury for "me, me, me." There is the greater chance average people get treated to a GV stay than a Bungalow stay

You may be correct. Fortunately DVC currently has 140 Grand Villas and only 20 bungalows.

If we judge by the standard used to decide that Tree Houses were needed a reallocation, then I think we've already hit that threashold, at least for early December, 3 or 4 years ago.
I would think so too, but apparently DVCMC disagrees with us.

I understand the criticism due to lack of 1 and 2B villas. My comment was directed more toward the topic of bungalow occupancy. You said "They need to reduce bungalow points." Why?

You may be correct. Fortunately DVC currently has 140 Grand Villas and only 20 bungalows.
For the 1st year there were many reports of available bungalows (when almost nothing else is available) and even more recent (this summer) of Poly guests saying they noticed very few signs of life (i.e. Lights) in the Bungalows.

I'm glad if they are now being fully utilized by points and cash guests. It's good for the DVC system.

For the 1st year there were many reports of available bungalows (when almost nothing else is available) and even more recent (this summer) of Poly guests saying they noticed very few signs of life (i.e. Lights) in the Bungalows.

I'm glad if they are now being fully utilized by points and cash guests. It's good for the DVC system.

Below are screen shots I took from the DVC reservation system back in May 2015 of bungalow availability for the rest of the year. The gray represents nights on which the bungalows were completely booked.

Bungalow_20150526_zpseblwzrxo.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter