Airmiles Armchair Chatter

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air-miles-devalue-points-rewards-1.3955506

Not too alarming and I was expecting some type of devaluation when the expiration plans were canned. Headline is "Air Miles quietly drops value of some points, angering collectors".

Looks like it's just vacation packages at this point:
"Air Miles told CBC News Friday that it adjusted the pricing for vacation packages because this is a "subsidized" rewards category requiring a higher level of customer support."

When the expiration policy was cancelled, they were clear something was going to change: "However, they may end up paying some kind of price down the road. To make up for the loss, the company plans to "adjust" its offerings to collectors, it stated in a financial disclosure filed Thursday."
I read that too. It's concerning to say the least. While I can see increasing miles to reflect that booking a vacation requires more support from customer service, I don't doubt that eventually all popular offerings will increase. I'm going to diligently work toward my last ticket and then decide if I want to continue with it all anymore. The current Disney ticket redemption is a very good use of miles and doesn't reflect any currency exchange. I can see that changing if they are looking to cut costs.

Last edited:
Just read the article. The way most of us here collect and use our Airmiles I believe makes exceptional use of our miles. I don't think this will adversely affect the way we collect and use our miles.

We shop the bonuses and use our miles as soon as we have reached a collection milestone (we've always been aware that reward redemption can change at any time). At any given time I doubt many of us have huge amounts of AM in our accounts. I know I use my AM as soon as I've reached my collection goal.

The Airmiles program has been good to us. We have all benefited from the program in the last few years. Work the system and let it work for you. Happy collecting!

So as I had hoped my WDW tickets did in fact arrive at my house on Friday. Funny though, the UPS man showed up at 8pm.

I too headed out to Sobey's this morning. Spent $37 and earned 135 miles.

Just back from my Sobeys run, ok walk across the street. $88.06 = 275AM
Avocados, tortilla, chicken wings and strips. Then not in flyer, at least not what I saw, Diana's Sauce 50AM wyb 4 @ 2.99. Not a bad price and always go thru. Cloverleaf tuna 10am wyb 2 @ 1.99. These were the flavour packs. So thought I would try some out and quick little snack at work.
Not too bad, and once I get my last ticket before the end of Feb, I too will have to evaluate the program. Lots of time.

Hi all! I have a (hopefully!) quick question: if I order the current 'special offer' WDW tickets with my air miles, will I be able to add park hoppers? It seems like a great value, especially since they don't expire, but we're avid hoppers and I wouldn't want to lose that possibility.

Hi all! I have a (hopefully!) quick question: if I order the current 'special offer' WDW tickets with my air miles, will I be able to add park hoppers? It seems like a great value, especially since they don't expire, but we're avid hoppers and I wouldn't want to lose that possibility.
Yes you can upgrade once there to hoppers, or any other upgrade you like. But you can not do it until you arrive.

Anyone know how long it takes Metro to post their AM. I thought they posted quickly but I have some from the 16th that are still outstanding. Maybe I'm just to impatient. :)

ETA- I should clarify that I did receive some of the AMs but did not get the 50 bonus for using 95 AM at purchase.

Anyone know how long it takes Metro to post their AM. I thought they posted quickly but I have some from the 16th that are still outstanding. Maybe I'm just to impatient. :)

ETA- I should clarify that I did receive some of the AMs but did not get the 50 bonus for using 95 AM at purchase.
Metro is my personal thorn-in-the-paw store. Some miles post within a week, then other weeks only a few that appear on my receipt post while others don't show up till the 11th hour of the 120 day mark.

I keep all of my Metro receipts by the computer until they post ... never consistent.

just shopped Metro for the first time, wanted to see what it is like today. Man I thought Sobeys was expensive, Metro in my hood is more. The AM deals are not as good either. This is why I usually stick to Superstore and collect my 4% pc points for most of my groceries. I will not be heading back to Metro again, unless they have some huge deal or GC swap.

I'm still waiting for my 50AM from that spend 95AM cash get 50 AM deal. Corporate puts those through and they seem to take a little longer.

I went into a Shell on Saturday and asked if I could redeem AM points for MC/Visa gift cards. I was told that I can. I didn't actually do it, so I can't confirm that it will go through, but the cashier believed it could be done.

Since as a family we have decided to forgo any US travel at this time, I'm glad I have my miles as cash. I can put them to use for DD and my flights to Europe this summer!

Hello everyone! I am writing because I have now received my four, 5 day WDW passes with use of my airmiles! I started off with about 2,000 miles dispersed between my card and DH's card and went into high gear collecting in August 2016. With the help of this board and the amazing people on it, I used strategies to secure our passes in less than six months (and thanks to Blue Friday this past week, I have over 1,000 left in my account). Thank you so much for those that started this board and who regularly post and offer advice. I am still airmile crazy, and even without a specific goal in mind, I will remain a faithful visitor to this page on a daily basis!

I did get to shop the blue Friday as well. I got 495 miles for 140.00. I just couldn't buy more for another 95 miles with bumping it up to 200.00. I had to go after work with the 5:00 rush which is always a headache. But i'll take what I got. Now I'm sure that the points will dry up for a bit again at Safeway. But...I do like their points on the bread. I have been able to gather a good number with the bread that they have on points.

So this new devaluing of airmiles for the travel seriously SUCKS!!! As that is how I've been able to afford my last two Disney cruises. I must be part of that "1.6%" that actually used my miles that way. Sigh. Hubby is now rethinking our March break 2018 cruise that we hadn't booked yet.

But if we HAD booked, reserved and paid the reservation cash, meaning that the airmiles could be used at the PIF date of the cruise for how many airmiles I had had - would they have increased the number of miles required? Or would I have been "locked in" with the previous number of miles required?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter