4 Planned FastPass+ Test Happening Now!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone confirm if this test is still going on??? My fastpass window opens on April 4th so I'm just trying to see if I need to think about which 4th fastpass I should select. TIA!!

Do you know that for a fact or are you just speculating?

I do not know for an absolute fact that the wait times right at opening for the most popular rides are intentionally inflated to try to encourage people to go somewhere else.

But, I do know for a fact that, if you are among the first few hundred people to arrive at an attraction, the actual wait will usually be significantly lower than the posted wait. For example, we have often arrived at TSMM when we were not at the front of the line to start with, and many people have run past us to beat us to the attraction. The posted wait time might be 20 minutes, or as much as 45 minutes, and we have still been able to basically walk right on. It would take more time to walk through the queue than to wait to board.

I have also read in several publications, going back 20 years or so ago, that Disney would also engage in "line blocking" to allow a big crowd to gather outside the ride building to give the impression that the line is massive, when in fact they haven't opened up much of the "snake lines" inside the building.

In an extreme example of this several years ago, we went directly to Splash Mountain when that side of the park opened and the line extended past the ride and down the walkway toward Adventureland. A CM was there telling people that the wait time was 60 minutes from that point and that there would be much shorter lines at other attractions. Because we knew about line blocking, and the line wasn't moving at all, we waited and a minute or two later, the line started moving and we walked right into the building and through the queue and were on a boat within 5 minutes. All of the ropes outside of the building were still blocked off.

The bottom line is that, whatever the reason, if you get to an attraction within the first 5-10 minutes after opening, the actual wait may be significantly shorter than the posted wait.

Here's another way to look at it. According to Touring Plans, 7DMT has a wait of about 5 minutes for every 100 people ahead of you in line. A 45 minute wait would require 900 people to be ahead of you in line. If you are anywhere near the front of the line entering MK at 7 AM and follow behind the CM's leading you to 7DMT it shouldn't be hard to be in the first 100-200 people to enter the line, even when you account for the yahoos who will run down the sidewalk and cut in to improve their position.

Of course, there are no guarantees, and people have to make their own decisions. But, if you arrive at an attraction 5-10 minutes after opening, especially during an EMH where there are no FPs, and skip an attraction because of the posted wait time, you might be passing up an opportunity to ride with the shortest wait of the day.

Can anyone confirm if this test is still going on??? My fastpass window opens on April 4th so I'm just trying to see if I need to think about which 4th fastpass I should select. TIA!!

Just for amusement, I checked for FPs at MK for this Sunday using a ticket of a family member who will not be with us on our upcoming trip. I picked 3 attractions and a fourth one did not appear like it did a few days ago when looking for FPs for earlier this week.

So, it would appear that the test is not continuing for now. Of course, you should stay tuned for updates, but if your window is just opening on Saturday for days in May or June, you probably shouldn't count on getting 4. If you do, accept it as a bonus and make a decision then about what else you want.

I have also read in several publications, going back 20 years or so ago, that Disney would also engage in "line blocking" to allow a big crowd to gather outside the ride building to give the impression that the line is massive, when in fact they haven't opened up much of the "snake lines" inside the building....

It just seems odd to me that a company would purposely create the perception of what might be considered one of the biggest stigmas of a theme park (long lines).

Just for amusement, I checked for FPs at MK for this Sunday using a ticket of a family member who will not be with us on our upcoming trip. I picked 3 attractions and a fourth one did not appear like it did a few days ago when looking for FPs for earlier this week.

So, it would appear that the test is not continuing for now. Of course, you should stay tuned for updates, but if your window is just opening on Saturday for days in May or June, you probably shouldn't count on getting 4. If you do, accept it as a bonus and make a decision then about what else you want.

I tried the same thing moments ago and was able to get a 4th thru this Saturday. But Sunday and beyond was the same thing you experienced, just business as usual. I also noticed that on some days particular choices wouldn't show up at all (like HM or BTMR). I don't think it's because they are all gone or scheduled to be closed for some reason as there wasn't the red-colored statement to that effect; they just didn't show up at all as possible choices.

It certainly seems odd to me that a company would purposely create the perception of what might be considered one of the biggest stigmas of a theme park (long lines)
According to a lot of FP+ defendants, Disney instituted FP+ because people complained about long lines. So is exaggerating wait times also in response to guest demand? :confused:

I'm beginning to think there needs to be a board made specifically for ranting and fp arguments. Is there one? Cause this is getting cray. This board is for constructive advice and it ends up being full of the same rehashed arguments.

Virtually impossible to separate useless debates from useful info, and almost everyone agrees FP is key to WDW planning.

Virtually impossible to separate debates from useful info, and almost everyone agrees FP is key to WDW planning.
I disagree. Talking about fp is fine obviously. That needs to be done. But the threads keep going in tangents just to start the same primary argument: is fp+ better than the original. It'd be nice if that was on a separate board. :)

I disagree. Talking about fp is fine obviously. That needs to be done. But the threads keep going in tangents just to start the sameprimary argument: is fp+ better than the original. It'd be nice if that was on a separate board. :)

Agreed. It gets old and would be nice if we could just move to how best to use the system in place now- I don't see the link between Disney issuing additional fp+'s and whether or not you hate fp+.

Last edited:
I disagree. Talking about fp is fine obviously. That needs to be done. But the threads keep going in tangents just to start the same primary argument: is fp+ better than the original. It'd be nice if that was on a separate board. :)

The mods have heard this request countless times. They will move some to the Community board when they go far enough off track. I recommend taking up your request through them.

It just seems odd to me that a company would purposely create the perception of what might be considered one of the biggest stigmas of a theme park (long lines).

According to a lot of FP+ defendants, Disney instituted FP+ because people complained about long lines. So is exaggerating wait times also in response to guest demand? :confused:

Well, look at it this way. There is no way for Disney or any theme park to say EXACTLY what the wait time is going to be for someone who enters the line at that moment. They can take a stab at it based on where the back of the line is, but that can be dependent on how spread out the people in line have gotten. The line can also be held up if certain people or groups take longer to board. It gets even tougher when you throw in FP return lines and you don't know how many of them are going to show up at a given time.

So, understanding that the wait time is an estimate, I would expect Disney (or any theme park) to estimate on the high side. Someone who enters a line with a posted wait of 30 minutes is going to be pleasantly surprised if it turns out to be only 20 minutes. But, if the wait is posted at 20, they are going to be upset if the wait is 30 minutes. Simple psychology and human nature.

These estimates are that much more difficult when a lot of people arrive at the attraction at the same time, like at park opening. Using my example from before, if 1000 people arrive at the ride at the same time, the first 100 will get on within 5 minutes or less, and the last 100 will be in line for 45-50 minutes. So, if you anticipate 1000 people arriving within a few minutes, what do you post as the wait time? I suspect that those posted wait times are based on a best guess of what they expect the wait time to be when the initial surge dies down. The actual wait time may move from 0 to 45 minutes pretty quickly, but, depending where you are in the surge, it could be any point in between, and I wouldn't expect them to try to keep up with that. Considering that the actual entrance to the ride creates a natural roadblock for guests entering, I have to think it would take a lot more than 5 or 10 minutes to get 1000 people through it.

so i sign in to view fp's for this sunday and i still have 3. if im able to get the 4th will it just appear in my list? or do i go into mde and act like im going to change an existing one? maybe a little help from someone who just did this please :)

. I also noticed that on some days particular choices wouldn't show up at all (like HM or BTMR). I don't think it's because they are all gone or scheduled to be closed for some reason as there wasn't the red-colored statement to that effect; they just didn't show up at all as possible choices.

With the major problems the site seems to be having today, I don't know how much I'd trust anything that's coming up.

Just checked Epcot wait times. Like a previous poster said, there are a couple of things that don't have a very long wait.

Captain EO 5 Min
Ellen's Energy Adventure 10 Min
Journey Into Imagination With Figment 45 Min
Living with the Land 45 Min
Mission: SPACE 100 Min
Soarin' 115 Min
Spaceship Earth 55 Min
Test Track Presented by Chevrolet 120 Min
The Seas with Nemo & Friends 35 Min
Turtle Talk With Crush 30 Min

Seems like no matter how high they post those wait times to "encourage people to go somewhere else" poor EO just can't get any love.

Looking at wait times on Lines right now it seems only Soarin' and Test Track have long waits. Most everything else is 30 min or less expected wait times. That's not terrible for one of the busiest weeks of the year. Then again, I'm not there!

Looking at wait times on Lines right now it seems only Soarin' and Test Track have long waits. Most everything else is 30 min or less expected wait times. That's not terrible for one of the busiest weeks of the year. Then again, I'm not there!

Maybe everyone got wise to rope drop and now the wait times are longer in the morning than they are in late afternoon?

so i sign in to view fp's for this sunday and i still have 3. if im able to get the 4th will it just appear in my list? or do i go into mde and act like im going to change an existing one? maybe a little help from someone who just did this please :)
Previous reports were that you need to reschedule existing FPs to get the 4th to appear.

Hi checking in from the front. Again we were never offered a 4th fast pass this week until we used our 3.

So think you need to cancel & start all over.

This am did 7D at rope drop 1st train of the day. Ran to Space. Took longer than we thought. ( was told some workers were late so ride did not open at 7.
Then waited for rope drop at 8 for rest of park to be in the first car of TM for the day.

When we left park at 1:30 for a break times were running 50 plus for most top rides. 120 for 7D

Because TM was down for our Fast pass time we were unable to get a 4th one so far. Wanted to keep TM so it still shows one unused. It is what it is.

5:30 starts are starting to take a toll on the peeps! All except me sleeping now.

Honestly not sure why I am bothering to post. Is anyone else actually here today who is saying I am wrong?
Alfalfa thanks for confirming many rides were over an hour. Not all rides but most you want to ride.
Epcot open till 9 yesterday. I was there was the poster there?
March 30th - April 2nd. Looking at their Times Guide in front of me. They are not open past 9 till Friday April 3rd.
Really I don't need to post was just trying to help.
I am new to this forum and honestly done with it all.
Not a very Magical place.

If anyone that is actually here right now thinks differently I totally understand. If you aren't not sure how you can say I am completely wrong.

Really these boards in general are not all this negative. There is alot of very helpful info on the DIS Boards for sure.

Shaden and I have had a discussion before regarding this topic. IMO for various reasons the "Theme Parks" boards tend to be more negative and specifically any thread dealing with FP+. Any topic over the years where you have people that have very strong and different opinions tends to go this way. Other examples I have seen since I started coming here about 8-10 years ago that fall into the same mold: FP return time enforcement, pool hopping and some old re-usable mugs. From my perspectve the "Theme Parks" board is where people go to "vent" a litte more than some of the other boards.

Either way the DIS boards are an incredibly valuable tool for planning vacation time in Orlando and getting the latest news very quickly!

Hi checking in from the front. Again we were never offered a 4th fast pass this week until we used our 3.

So think you need to cancel & start all over.

This am did 7D at rope drop 1st train of the day. Ran to Space. Took longer than we thought. ( was told some workers were late so ride did not open at 7.
Then waited for rope drop at 8 for rest of park to be in the first car of TM for the day.

When we left park at 1:30 for a break times were running 50 plus for most top rides. 120 for 7D

Because TM was down for our Fast pass time we were unable to get a 4th one so far. Wanted to keep TM so it still shows one unused. It is what it is.

5:30 starts are starting to take a toll on the peeps! All except me sleeping now.
Thanks for taking the time to post an update. It's great to hear from someone who is there. Have a wonderful evening!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter