2016 Gay Days at WDW - 26th Anniversary!

:cool::confused::confused::confused:
With the recent news about Rivers opening being delayed by a month or so, it now seems like it is at least questionable that we may be able to enjoy that attraction

How long is Rivers of Light Delayed for? I'm still hoping for Frozen Ever After to open before we get there *fingers crossed*

Solomon

:cool::confused::confused::confused:
With the recent news about Rivers opening being delayed by a month or so, it now seems like it is at least questionable that we may be able to enjoy that attraction

I'm still crossing my fingers that it will be going by then. I really hope so!

How long is Rivers of Light Delayed for? I'm still hoping for Frozen Ever After to open before we get there *fingers crossed*

Solomon

We don't know of a "new" timeframe for Rivers of light. Frozen Ever After? I'll check to see if I can find any rumours. Will you be at Epcot on Sunday afternoon?

Just 50 more days until check-in! Where is everyone lodging?

We're checking into Carribean Beach Resort on June 1st. Just in time to meet you at Fort Wilderness! We actually have an ADR at Narcoose's at Grand Floridian that night at 9:20, so the Monorail Crawl works out perfectly!

Just 50 more days until check-in! Where is everyone lodging?
My bud and I will not be staying within WDW. We're on a budget. LOL! We are staying at an Extended Stay, right across the road from the Doubletree at SeaWorld.

My friend and I have decided that a return visit to Hamburger Mary's in downtown Orlando is a "must do" on this trip. We are looking at Friday night, June 3rd, when they offer not only good food and drinks, but a really good drag show (and, I am not usually a big fan of drag shows...so, it must be good). If you are interested or want more info, hit me up. We'll have to make advance reservations, because the place fills to capacity, especially on the weekends.

Solomon
Not sure how long the delay is. You would have thought we had enough lead time to have it in place more than a month later. First rumor I heard (or maybe that I am starting....LOL) is a minimum of a 30 day delay.

So when we were checking park hours for Saturday... It's only til 10 PM at the Magic Kindom. :(
Our group is usually in that park from opening 'til the end of Extra Magic Hours, which usually ends up being that day for the Magic Kingdom.

If anyone is going to be at the Gay Days Host Hotel you can see my boyfriend DJing the bear pool on Sunday from 10AM-4PM. Be sure to stop by and say hi!

Not sure how long the delay is. You would have thought we had enough lead time to have it in place more than a month later. First rumor I heard (or maybe that I am starting....LOL) is a minimum of a 30 day delay.

Dang nabbit! Sounds like we'll either be there just in time...or miss it entirely. Lovely.

S

So when we were checking park hours for Saturday... It's only til 10 PM at the Magic Kindom. :(
Our group is usually in that park from opening 'til the end of Extra Magic Hours, which usually ends up being that day for the Magic Kingdom.

If anyone is going to be at the Gay Days Host Hotel you can see my boyfriend DJing the bear pool on Sunday from 10AM-4PM. Be sure to stop by and say hi!
DJ Barney Philly?

DJ Barney Philly?
Yup. He's DJed the event for several years now (He skipped DJing either last year or the year before though).
Not sure what he's going to be playing this year. He had a good number of Disney things playing last time he DJed the main pool thanks to a good friend of ours loves to remix things that most people wouldn't as well as Disney songs. Grim Grinning Ghosts, Let it Go, It's A Small World, Can You Feel The Love Tonight, etc.

None of the Extra Magic Hours coordinate with the park days for Gay Days this year :-(

Hey everyone! I'm so thrilled that our visit happens to coincide with Gay Days! I'm coordinating a group of about 6 families with young children, and some may not know about gay days. After reading the gaydays website, I hope you might fill me in on a few planning tidbits:

1) Is wearing a red shirt are just for LGBTQ persons? Are allies of all ages are invited to wear red or perhaps a differently supportive color? I'm just ignorant about the color designations.
2) Does everyone wear red to the designated gay day parks, or is red just for Saturday at the Magic Kingdom?
3) I want to share with my families what it might be like for gays days in the Disney parks. I'm assuming lots of welcome cheeriness, but I've never been to know. Is there anything I should tell my families? I have a few families with young children in the autistic spectrum, is there anything that would be startling if they wore red (ie; a sudden big hug), or were simply sharing magical fun at the parks?

I hope everyone has a wonderful time in community and celebration!

Hey everyone! I'm so thrilled that our visit happens to coincide with Gay Days! I'm coordinating a group of about 6 families with young children, and some may not know about gay days. After reading the gaydays website, I hope you might fill me in on a few planning tidbits:

1) Is wearing a red shirt are just for LGBTQ persons? Are allies of all ages are invited to wear red or perhaps a differently supportive color? I'm just ignorant about the color designations.
2) Does everyone wear red to the designated gay day parks, or is red just for Saturday at the Magic Kingdom?
3) I want to share with my families what it might be like for gays days in the Disney parks. I'm assuming lots of welcome cheeriness, but I've never been to know. Is there anything I should tell my families? I have a few families with young children in the autistic spectrum, is there anything that would be startling if they wore red (ie; a sudden big hug), or were simply sharing magical fun at the parks?

I hope everyone has a wonderful time in community and celebration!
Hi, Tiggerette!
Unfortunately, Gay Days sometimes still receives unfounded negative criticism from the press and the ultra-conservative right wingers. The vast majority of the LGBTQ community knows what is appropriate, and what is not, as far as behavior in the parks. But, since we are talking about thousands of people, it would be unrealistic to assume that each and every single person is always acting on their best behavior. Disney cast members are usually very prompt in dealing with any sort of inappropriate behavior.
You are likely to see some PDA, holding hands or even the occasional kiss. But, my blood starts to boil when I read false claims of sexual activities in public places. Some of the totally ridiculous forum posts I have read make it sound like there is a massive gay and lesbian orgy going on. Clearly, these poor misinformed folks have never attended gay days in the WDW parks.
The red shirt (AIDS awareness) started 26 years ago when the original group decided they would wear red shirts to be able to identify one another. You will see a lot of red shirts at the Magic Kingdom on Saturday, but the red shirts are kind of "hit and miss" on the other days at the other parks.
Other than reminding your families that they are likely to witness some gay and lesbian PDA, I don't believe you have anything to worry about.
The vast majority of the LGBTQ in attendance are visiting the parks for the same reason as everybody else, to have a great time and to be a kid again for a day.

Thanks so much for your time and thoughtful response FarCityGuy.

Some of our families were concerned that there'd be so many people in red, it'd be harder to find their children in the Magic Kingdom. (Perhaps we're over-estimating the volume of red shirts in MK?) We only have one day (sat in MK) where all our families are wearing the same reunion t-shirt. I think our families are excited to be in MK for GayDays, and we're looking at additional ways to be visibly supportive such as rainbow pins, necklaces, etc.

Also, I'm surprised to read about the negative criticism, but perhaps I'm in a bubble of naive inclusiveness. Hearing that other parks may not enjoy as much "red support" on the other days, I'll plan to bring something red to wear. Love is love.

Thanks again, very much for your insights. We're quite excited to celebrate with you. :)

Just finished paying for our group. We have six attending, staying at the Contemporary (three in the Atrium Club, three in the Garden Wing), from the 29th to the 5th.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter