Yia-Yia, Yetis and Epcotonians. A sweltering Summer of '22 adventure!

Ooh yay another Fabulous Fractal Photography TR!! Great start looking forward to more!

Loving the TR so far,,,oof the unforgiveable "C" section lol. Fantastic pics and 100% agree with the Wall, Freeze & Beavers, though I have on the rare occasion performed the "freeze" lol.

Lol! Group C is unforgivable! I think there used to be a cut through that was cut off when SWGE was built?

Yes, didn't hear the end of Group C. Lol! So maybe there was an alley? Maybe I'm not totally losing it!

Ooh yay another Fabulous Fractal Photography TR!! Great start looking forward to more!

Thanks @KEK1 ! Happy to have you aboard!

Loving the TR so far,,,oof the unforgiveable "C" section lol. Fantastic pics and 100% agree with the Wall, Freeze & Beavers, though I have on the rare occasion performed the "freeze" lol.

I'm still hearing grief about C boarding! Thanks @LeeLee'sMom !

Where did I lead my two demanding children on our first day? There are clues in my post.

Sorry @Billy6 - not the Frozen show.

But we still managed to stay somewhat in the same theme. George Lucas theme to be exact.

The last time I saw Indian Jones Epic Stuntshow was with Yia-Yia in 2013. The last time the kids saw it they were very young so this would be new to them in a way.

At first there was a protest, especially from Toni. It reminded me of our 2011 trip when we told her we were going to watch Fantasmic instead of going on Tower of Terror for the 5th time. She stomped her feet and threw a fit then but eventually fell in line and loved the show. This time 11 years later she was much more mature about her dissent and before long we were in the standby line.

giphy.gif

DSC00144-X3.jpg

Our seats were surprising good - right side about 20 rows up.

DSC00147-X3.jpg

I then swapped out the 14mm for the 50mm. I was upset with myself for not bringing my 85mm but so is life.

Not really sure what Sterg was doing here.

DSC00148-X3.jpg

Sterg and Toni asked a million questions and I could see anticipation was building.

Soon enough, Indy arrived.

DSC00149-X3.jpg

And dodged numerous booby-traps...

DSC00157-X3.jpg

Measuring things up.

DSC00161-X3.jpg

Run!

DSC00168-X3.jpg

After the opening scene, my children were hooked and on the edge of their seats.

Cairo scene was next.

DSC00170-X3.jpg

Then the plane scene which is pretty awesome.

DSC00173-X3.jpg

Get out Marion!

DSC00174-X3.jpg

DSC00181-X3.jpg

Can you hear the Indy theme song in your head?

DSC00185-X3.jpg

It was terrific to see this show was back and even more so to see how much Sterg and Toni enjoyed it!

DSC00192-X3.jpg

What's next Pops?

We checked on Star Tours and it was now back to a 20 minutes wait.

"How can it go from 15 minutes to 50minutes back down to 20 minutes?" Toni queried.

giphy.gif

Still staying in Lucas theme we circled back to Endor.

DSC00195-X3.jpg

Hello R2!

DSC00200-X3.jpg

and Threepio!

DSC00201-X3.jpg

DSC00205-X3.jpg

It was good to see C3PO being as neurotic as ever.

Toni posing by the light...

DSC00206-X3.jpg

And once again, the Star Wars TSA droids put on a great and hilarious show. As I've said in my last 4 or 5 reports; their shpeel is a must listen!

DSC00207-X3.jpg

DSC00210-X3.jpg

Getting ready for the show!

These smiles are 100% genuine!

DSC00215-X3.jpg

We were yucking it up in line. Talking about our previous times we went on Star Tours. The time we went on 5 times in a row, the time Val was the rebel spy. Lots of laughs while waiting for our next adventure.

DSC00217-X3.jpg

Looks like it was time to put the camera away.

DSC00219-X3.jpg

Our ride was great - a least a few scenes we never had before and just a fun time hopping from one death defying scene to the next.

It was all topped off by one of our favorite sayings in all of Walt Disney World...

Buh Bye! Which we repeated about 20 times after the ride.

Mustafar was our next destination or so it seemed as the heat index was soaring over 100.

giphy.gif

We decided to head back to the resort, unpack and check out the grounds.

A few photos on the way out...

Toni's favorite restaurant but reservations were impossible to get this trip.

DSC00220-X3.jpg

I think I take a photo of this sign every trip.

DSC00223-X3.jpg

Sometimes more than one.

DSC00224-X3.jpg

Still haven't ridden the gondolas.

DSC00226-X3.jpg

Back at Gran Destino. It truly is a moderate with a deluxe feel...

DSC00379-X3.jpg

DSC00376-X3.jpg

I really struggled with the 14mm lens at DHS. I ended up deleting a lot of photos because I wasn't happy how I was composing my shots with such a wide angle. By the time we got back to the resort I was starting to adjust and getting the hang of it.

These lanterns were cool!

DSC00377-X3.jpg

Walking into the lobby...

DSC00378-X3.jpg

DSC00380-X3.jpg

The lower lobby is stunning!

DSC00382-X3.jpg

Of course I forgot to take photos of the room. But they are spacious and decorated in a pleasant, non-Disney contemporary theme. The bathrooms have two sinks and make use of sliding "barn doors". The shower is behind a glass door and gives you the option of a large "rain fall" overhead shower head or hand-held adjustable head. The TV is mounted on the wall and welcomed us by last name as we entered the room. The biggest downside it the lack of balcony which is a shame because we had a nice view over the lake.

3510B1A0-E8E2-4390-9B9D-0D88E1910B2B-X2.jpg

Sterg had made a pit stop that morning before picking us up from the airport. He bought 6 cases of water, fruit and other snacks for us and my sister's crew. After unpacking all of that and our luggage Toni wanted to take some "selfies" and of course I followed with my camera.

She wore a top made by Val and decided the lake and fountain made an appealing background.

DSC00232-X2.jpg

Before long it became a photo shoot.

DSC00247-X2.jpg

The bright mid-day sun wasn't ideal but we made it work.

DSC00249-X2.jpg

DSC00253-X3.jpg

I took a few photos of the grounds...

DSC00260-X3.jpg

DSC00261-X3.jpg

Coronado Springs is a beautiful sprawling resort. Later in the trip I would explore it more and found the rooms outside the "tower" were broken up in different sections, each typically surrounding a small and pleasant courtyard with a water fountain center. There were also sections of sanded beach for lounging, volleyball courts and other activities. The size of the resort reminded me a bit of Port Orleans Riverside despite the very different theme.
It was missing the visual "wow" that you find at Beach & Yacht Club and across Crescent Lake at the Boardwalk. I wasn't compelled at all to come down at night and take long exposure photos here.

Inside I was drawn to the lower lobby again...

DSC00262-X3.jpg

My crew however was getting antsy so after a quick portrait...

DSC00264-X3.jpg

We hopped a bus and ended up here...

DSC00267-X3.jpg

Primetime is my kids favorite restaurant also. They were actually just talking about it over the weekend (we haven't been since 2018).

We quickly made our way across the galaxy to Pandora and hopped in line for a trip down the beautiful Navi River. The standby wait by the way was well over 100 minutes! I really enjoy this ride but if I ever would wait for over an hour, that wait would ruin it for me. On this day we quickly zipped through the Lightning Lane and were boarded almost immediately.

DSC00269-X3.jpg

With my camera I started to get the sense of "why am I taking the same photos again?" as I've already have in our 2017 and 2020 trip. But as the boat travelled I started to get into it. Besides, I was using a different (50mm) lens afterall.

DSC00270-X3.jpg

DSC00272-X3.jpg

DSC00282-X3.jpg

Navi River is a ride you can ride over and over and is the perfect dark-ride to escape the Florida heat and recharge your batteries.

DSC00284-X3.jpg

DSC00285-X3.jpg

DSC00286-X3.jpg

DSC00288-X3.jpg

Our Shaman of Song was in perfectly operating "A-mode".

DSC00301-X3.jpg

DSC00306-X3.jpg

Up next...We have our first "Yeti" encounter.

The last time we ate at Yak&Yeti was in 2009. Everyone loved it! Alex was 13, Sterg was 10 and Toni was 7. The big "inside" joke at the time amongst these little monsters was something they called "bean dipping". Yours truly
was their favorite target and Sterg was the main protagonist. The act of "bean dipping" was taking you finger underneath someone's boob and flicking up. My "Dad bod" chest was the perfect target. At least a half dozen times during that trip I had Sterg locked in a Cobra Clutch until his head turned beet red after his bean dip attack. Didn't seem to deter him that much. And if he happen to get both sides of my chest it was labeled a "BD squared".

Here is a video in front of Yak & Yeti circa 2009 discussing bean dipping and a potential bean dip attack on Mickey.

Despite this family dysfunctional episode, I wanted to return to Yak&Yeti for this trip. @ajrwdwgirl and @senor_jorge gave me some tips which included joining Landry's Select Club (Landry owns Y&Y). It cost me $25 for the card which was then sent to me and loaded with a $25 credit. But even better, it allowed me to make a reservation at Y&Y when there was none to be found on the Disney reservation system.

After we departed from our trip down Navi river we hustled back to Earth to make our 5PM reservation. On the way we caught a glimpse of Kevin!

DSC00312-X3.jpg

Made it right on time!

DSC00313-X3.jpg

I put our name in and was told it was about a 10 minute wait. OK - time for some pics.

DSC00315-X3.jpg

I was using the 50mm lens.

DSC00316-X3.jpg

Neat artifacts inside the restaurant...

DSC00319-X3.jpg

Smile little devil from 2009!

DSC00320-X3.jpg

The bean dipper. looks so innocent.

DSC00321-X3.jpg

Our table was upstairs, which is what I was hoping for, and we had a great view...

DSC00322-X3.jpg

DSC00323-X3.jpg

Back to the 14mm to get a shot of the calamari and yes, my children.

PXL_20220715_211926899-X3.jpg

We ordered three additional plates that we shared. Toni was on the ball and took a pic.

7EDBCE7C-9BA7-4DCA-8F13-3174C810AE0D-X3.jpg

The food and service was great and really hit the spot!

I took a few more photos as we made our way out.

DSC00324-X3.jpg

DSC00325-X3.jpg

DSC00326-X3.jpg

DSC00329-X3.jpg

With one "Yeti" encounter down, we heading to another that promising to be much more intense.

With full bellies we ventured into the mountainous regions of Asia.

Shots of Everest with some different angles.

DSC00330-X3.jpg

The great thing about wide angles is how much you can fit in the frame. The challenge is dealing with how the foreground appears larger than life while the background is smaller plus there can be some weird distortions on the edge of the frame. Proper use of an ultra-wide can leave the viewer either stunned with appreciation or scratching their heads.

DSC00332-X4.jpg

DSC00336-X4.jpg

DSC00340-X4.jpg

Sterg and Toni were generally patient with my photography throughout the trip but I also didn't want them waiting too long for their old man.

The stand-bye line was basically a walk on.

More photos to add to my collection of the EE queue line...

DSC00341-X3.jpg

DSC00342-X3.jpg

Toni was ready! Sterg and I took the front row while she rode right behind me.

DSC00345-X3.jpg

I videoed from the front row back in 2017 but wasn't happy with my constant ISO setting. Too many overexposed shots. This time I set it for AUTO ISO so the camera would adjust exposure when going from dark to light as one does constantly through out the ride. I was much happier with this video with the exception of a couple sensor spots I didn't notice until after viewing! :confused:

With no wait and some time until our next Lightning Lane, we rode again...

DSC00346-X3.jpg

DSC00347-X3.jpg

closer to the back this time...

DSC00350-X3.jpg

DSC00352-X3.jpg

After surviving two encounters with the Yeti it was back to Pandora to engage with another creature...

Back on Pandora...

DSC00356-X3.jpg

DSC00357-X3.jpg

DSC00359-X3.jpg

and ready to ride a Banshee!

PXL_20220715_230047183-X2.jpg

When using Lightning Lane on Flight of Passage you miss out on the excellent queue line which we got to see several times in July 2020. There is actually a bathroom area in the middle of the queue line and as unbelievable as it may sound, in July 2020 while waiting for both Toni and Val to use the one-person ladies room, not one other person passed us or was seen in the queue line. But things are different now and the ride was packed.

DSC00360-X3.jpg

This guy bugs me.

DSC00361-X3.jpg

After another wonderful flight through the landscape of Pandora we made our way back to Africa one last time.

DSC00364-X3.jpg

Everyone was in the mood for ice-cream to top off the day.

DSC00367-X3.jpg

Making our way out...

DSC00370-X3.jpg

As we passed Flame Tree BBQ the lights in the pavilion caught my eye. This is one of my favorite areas in all of WDW and we've eaten back here numerous times but this is the first time I saw the area with the overhead lights on. I decided to explore just a little and take some photos.

DSC00371-X3.jpg

DSC00373-X3.jpg

One last shot. Still struggling a little with the 14mm as I missed focus on Simba. :confused:

DSC00374-X3.jpg

Our first day was coming to a close and we were all exhausted but filled with much satisfaction and appreciation of being back.

DSC00383-X3.jpg

Sterg had a rough go of it lately with relationships and a few other things so the timing of the trip couldn't be any better for him. He has a true love of Walt Disney World and it was helping him clear his mind. It was also great for him and Toni and I to all spend time together as Sterg is now living in Florida and Toni has been waitressing in Bethany Beach, Delaware for the summer.

Sterg and I did our barefoot walk in the hallway and despite how great Gran Destino Tower looks, it's carpets are way behind the Yacht Club and Contemporary as far as plushness and foot massage effectiveness.

DSC00385-X3.jpg

We unwound and laid our heads down to rest after a long, long but very fun day. The next day would start a new and much different stage of this trip with the arrival of Marina, her entire family and of course my Mom (Yia-Yia).
But first we had a morning date with Magic Kingdom!

I'm joining in! Enjoying the story (and YES to the people who just Freeze!) and the amazing pictures.

Despite having an overall great time, our first day of the trip was a bit of a struggle for me. Among the other issues I just wasn't "feeling it" with my photography. In 2020 I used a 24mm lens as my primary lens and I loved it. It is the perfect carry around focal length for travel in general and WDW specifically. I regret having sold that lens. The 14mm was like an untamed beast and I felt many times on the first day that it kept throwing me off its back.

"Come back when you know how to use me" I imagined it taunted me as I viewed my photos in the viewfinder and hit the delete button far too many times.

By the end of Day 2 I would feel much different.

Toni woke up not feeling great. She had a bad migraine; something she's been dealing with for the last couple years. Unfortunately she forget her Excedrin so before we headed out we made our way to the Resort "stop and go". Along the way I took some pics with my Pixel 6...

PXL_20220716_123141408-X2.jpg

PXL_20220716_123209206-X2.jpg

PXL_20220716_123343745-X2.jpg

PXL_20220716_123602744-X2.jpg

The Pixel 6 has a great camera and was generally happy with the shots I took with it. Phone cameras have come a long way in the last 5 years or so; I can see the improvement in photo quality while reading other trip reports. I had considered using the Pixel 6 exclusively for one day in a park but in the end decided not to. As happy as I was with it's images I still can see the gap between those vs. my Sony camera. They sure are much more convenient and easier to carry though and for most people that want to document and take general photos the new cameras on smart phones are just about perfect.

Speaking of "real cameras" I was actively looking for someone else like me that was lugging around a dedicated mirrorless camera or DSLR. Day 1 I saw exactly zero other people. Day 2 just one and for the rest of the trip only 2 others. This is in stark contrast to when i bought my first mirrorless camera for our 2011 trip. It seemed that at least every other "group" had at least one person with a "real" camera.

With Tony medicated and hydrated we grabbed a bus to Magic Kingdom; our reservation for the day. As I commented to @coachwnh , the bus service at Coronado Springs was excellent through out the trip. Both picking up at the resort and the parks. I never had that moment where we seemed to be waiting forever for a bus. The drivers were all very helpful and pleasant especially when dealing with Yia-Yia and her scooter.

Once through the gate we headed straight to TomorrowLand.

DSC00387-X3.jpg

DSC00389-X3.jpg

DSC00390-X3.jpg

DSC00391-X3.jpg

Sterg and I decided to get this baby rolling...

DSC00392-X3.jpg

Then took a selfie.

PXL_20220716_130531648-X2.jpg

People Mover was ready for the day...

DSC00394-X3.jpg

And so was Space Mountain!

DSC00393-X3.jpg

Up next; Space, Buzz, and I finally did something I've been trying to do for literally decades!

Really enjoying your TR and beautiful pictures! Always a bonus to spend time with adult children. Looking forward to reading more!

Love your trip report and am in awe of your courage to go in mid July!! The camera lenses sure made amazing pictures!!

Over our last few trips we really gained a new appreciation and love for Space Mountain. At a top speed of only around 30mph you would think it would be a sleepy rollercoaster, but you would be wrong. The dips and turns and effects; not to mention mostly being in pitch blackness, really make it a hoot to ride! The lingering fear in the back of your mind of having your head separated from the rest of body at any moment also adds to the excitement!

Who needs coffee to wake up in the morning when you have this recipe!

Standby time was double zeros so away we go!

DSC00397-X3.jpg

Stretching out the hamstrings...

DSC00399-X3.jpg

DSC00401-X3.jpg

Standing is line gave Sterg and Toni an opportunity to update their Social Media feed. Just when I think I'm caught up on their latest sharing apps I realize I'm at least two behind. Last trip is was a lot of Snapchat and Ticktock. This trip Ticktock is still a thing and now there's something called "be real" and something else that is a compilation of mini videos showing how you get through a day.

DSC00402-X3.jpg

"Hi taking pics in the dark." Toni is still using her "Hi" vernacular but not nearly as heavy as last trip.

I turned on my little LED light on top of my camera for this shot.

"Hi using a light!"

"Just smile or I'll turn it up higher!"

DSC00404-X3.jpg

Soon after we were traveling to the stars!

DSC00412-X3.jpg

Then landed back at Tomorrowland!

DSC00415-X3.jpg

DSC00417-X2.jpg

I told Toni to pose like the serving robot, which she happily obliged to do. Two straight summers working as a waitress seemed to inspire her.

DSC00419-X2.jpg

I snapped this terrible photo on the way out but it does hold some significance. This is the spot in the Space Mountain giftshop that had a row of massage chairs. The ones my Mom used while we were riding SM during our 2017 trip. They are now gone. I would latter learn that the entire gift shop is going to be gutting and converted into an entrance (or exit?) for the Tron Coaster.

PXL_20220716_165808602-X2.jpg

Space Mountain succeeded in giving us a morning jolt and priming us for the day. We decided to make another voyage into space but this time in an armed vehicle!

DSC00424-X3.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter