VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Another wonderful trip is coming to an end. And each trip comes with multiple stories.

Of course the big Honkin' groupee meet was outstanding and we enjoyed it so much.

Sitting here on top of the train station,doing a little people watching, I must relate the following. Two 20 something youths we're discussing with each other who the he** John Glenn was and why we needed our flag at half mast. I couldn't help but jump in and enlighten them on who he was and what he had done. And their response was "oh". No passion, no recognition on their face, and with body language that said butt out. I do overstep my bounds from time to time. Jeese Louise.

Once I transfer pictures from my phone to my computer I'll upload as many construction photos as I can.

Showers & restrooms would explain all the sanitary sewer piping and the water with pressure control station.

I wonder why they would have showers? I have noticed anyone use the pull chain operators at any other pools!

Showers are likely a public health code requirement for "public" pools, since everyone is SUPPOSED to freshly shower before entering a pool or hot tub, per the "rules" signs, which are derived from the code.

Ah, here it is, "To protect the public health the department has adopted sanitation and safety standards for public pools in Chapter 64E-9, Florida Administrative Code" (Dept = Florida Department of Health) - http://www.floridahealth.gov/environmental-health/swimming-pools/index.html has links to the code and other relevant info.

"(g) Rinse shower – A minimum of one rinse shower shall be provided on the pool deck of all outdoor pools within 20 feet of the nearest pool water’s edge."

According to Mr. Google, apparently Florida Building Code ALSO has a rinse shower on deck requirement, which is pretty much the same as the above. The same code includes rules about when sanitary facilities must be provided and how they have to be constructed wrt door access to the outside, etc.

SW

Another wonderful trip is coming to an end. And each trip comes with multiple stories.

Of course the big Honkin' groupee meet was outstanding and we enjoyed it so much.

Sitting here on top of the train station,doing a little people watching, I must relate the following. Two 20 something youths we're discussing with each other who the he** John Glenn was and why we needed our flag at half mast. I couldn't help but jump in and enlighten them on who he was and what he had done. And their response was "oh". No passion, no recognition on their face, and with body language that said butt out. I do overstep my bounds from time to time. Jeese Louise.

Once I transfer pictures from my phone to my computer I'll upload as many construction photos as I can.

Wow that is pretty sad. What has happened to our education system?

Glad you had a nice trip. 3 more sleeps for us!

So we are officially ruined and I think DH now sees the need to eventually add on. He said he is never staying in a studio again. This is out 11th trip to WDW and spend the first 2 days in a studio at WLV. We moved over to a 2 bedroom unit and said to say I think are not going back to studios. I hear this can happen. The room is wonderful. It is hard to get a feel through photographs. My sister's family has one of the cool corner/middle rooms. It is beautiful and I am jealous. It is their first trip to WDW so I am glad they got a great room. My whole family is sick though. I knew this trip likely needed a sense of humor. Nothing goes according to plan but that is ok. It is not like we are not coming back agin right? Christmas party tonight. This is my favorite week at WDW. Choirs in the lobby and characters this week at the resorts.

Wow that is pretty sad. What has happened to our education system?

Glad you had a nice trip. 3 more sleeps for us!
I believe I may have mentioned in an earlier post, but I met John Glenn a few times, and once spent 15 minutes or so chatting with him after he arrived at Andrews AFB late one night before Christmas (I was working a late shift on the flight line). He fit my description of servant for the people, and that encounter has stuck with me more than all the other VIPs I met at Andrews (and they number in the hundreds). Humble, thoughtful, caring, and true representative of his constituents and his country--all those he was. As far as history goes, I don't blame you for saying something Dad as I would have done the same, but I wouldn't use that one example as an indictment of the educational system. We can't know the type of students they were (likely not Honor or AP classes) and, to be fair, what Mr Glenn did was over five decades ago, and to teens, that is ancient history. When I was in school, few of my friends could have told you anything about World War I or the Great Depression even though they were seminal events in our history--I knew because I was a fan of history. Another factor is that when I was growing up (and I figure for many or most of you, as well), my world was defined by real world heroes, visionaries, and accomplishments: John Glenn, Audie Murphy, Martin Luther King, Billie Jean King, the Civil Rights Movement, soldiers, firefighters, et. al. Anymore, the "heroes" in this world are ball players, music stars, reality TV personalities, and YouTube stars--not one of whom has slipped the bonds of space or laid down her life to save others. It's a focus that is completely alien to my world growing up. Schools simply can't compete. That's not to say schools aren't culpable to some extent--they are--but when we have movies where space travel is considered a given, remembering one actual man who went into space alone during the infancy of space flight doesn't rate an eye blink.

A lot also depends on the teachers, the focus of a particular school system, and even parents. This is where the indictment of our educational system is fair. We focus far too much on standards of learning than actual learning. I see it first-hand every day that parents don't reinforce what is learned in school because for them a John Glenn is no big deal, either. I've always attempted to keep my daughter abreast of current affairs, history, and significant events, but in her case, a few teachers barely tried to make history relevant. A few years ago, I substituted in a 10th-grade history class and found the teacher used old--as in mostly black and white--VHS tapes to teach his classes. He would plug one in, hand out sheets of paper with blanks to be filled in by the students as they watched, then sit back and do nothing. The two days I taught for him covered the Vietnam War era, the Kent State shooting, and other topics. The kids had no clue about the era, so I filled them in with details. I stopped the tape often and gave them back stories. After class, I had several students come up to me and say this was the first time they had actually been taught anything in class and they loved it. My own daughter says of her AP history class this year, "I've learned more in this half of a year than all my other history classes combined." So, yes, our schools do have some accountability. Still, I would say that as a collection of nearly 400 million people, we no longer value history beyond what the latest political, entertainment, or sports scandal provides. And that is achingly tragic.

Sorry for the long musing, but it's a foggy, cold, rainy Sunday morning, and I'm tucked under a blanket with a steaming mug o' java with nothing better to do.pirate: Have a great week before Christmas, Groupies!

Last edited:
So we are officially ruined and I think DH now sees the need to eventually add on. He said he is never staying in a studio again. This is out 11th trip to WDW and spend the first 2 days in a studio at WLV. We moved over to a 2 bedroom unit and said to say I think are not going back to studios. I hear this can happen. The room is wonderful. It is hard to get a feel through photographs. My sister's family has one of the cool corner/middle rooms. It is beautiful and I am jealous. It is their first trip to WDW so I am glad they got a great room. My whole family is sick though. I knew this trip likely needed a sense of humor. Nothing goes according to plan but that is ok. It is not like we are not coming back agin right? Christmas party tonight. This is my favorite week at WDW. Choirs in the lobby and characters this week at the resorts.
Though we do studios in order to make more trips or spend more time at Disney, there is NOTHING like the extra room a 1BR or 2BR suite! It's very hard to go back once you've stayed in one of those. It's just the two of us, but we love being able to spread out. When we do stay in a studio, we feel cramped. So, come our trip in May, a 1BR it is!!

Hi Groupies!! I am back from an amazing stay at the Villas. My first time staying there even though I have been an owner there for two years. Yes, I did what you are not supposed to do: I bought at a resort that I had never stayed at. But all is good: I loved it (was not surprised about that...). I was amazed how much we were able to avoid the construction. Besides missing the pool, I cannot say that we were impacted in any way.

We had an amazing meal at Artist Point and loved the coffee they have at the Territory Lounge in the mornings. The CMs there were especially nice and it is a great place to sit and have your morning coffee. In my opinion they serve some of the best coffee you can get on property there (definitely better than Joffrey's or Starbucks in my opinion) and you get a 20% discount with an AP.

We also attended the DVC Annual Meeting. I got in line to speak to Ken Pottrock afterwards and told him how sad I am that they turned a resort that I bought because it was themed to trees into one that was going to be themed to rocks now and how much I hate the Boulder Ridge name. I made a point how it appears to existing owners that the new people get the nice stuff, the lovely creek and we as existing owners get the rocks. He ensured me that a lot of the wilderness will be restored to the lodge, but I also got the impression that especially my point about existing owners feeling like being the treated like the unwanted step child now (see my comment regarding rocks) did actually make him think a bit. I don't expect anything to change because of what I said, but maybe I was able to at least create a little more sensitivity with regards to why people bought at VWL in the first place and how they did not do the best job in communicating all those changes. Supposedly everyone who spoke to him would receive a follow up afterwards. I still have not heard anything and since my topic did not really require a follow up, I am not sure if I will receive one.

All in all, we actually found the Annual Meeting to be quite worth while. We also got to speak to some of the General Managers of the resorts we stayed at in the past, including Thea, who is the GM for the Wilderness Lodge and the Villas. I thought it was a great opportunity to give praise for the things I loved at the various resorts in order to help those staying around.

For all you who are at or just leaving VWL do you think pool construction and the new restaurant will be up and running by Aug 2017? I had written it off for our trip but I saw how the new pictures that they came out with said opening summer 2017.

DiznyDad
I think you had every right to enlighten those young men to who John Glenn was in the scheme of our history. You didn't overstep your bounds IMO, I, like Sleepy would have done the same

Sleepy
let me say, thanks for your dedication to our kids and willingness to teach them and not just be passive and conform to the norm in education. I agree, our kids have been dumbed down(maybe a harsh way to say what you said nicely)to our country and how it started, the struggles it went through to get to the good life we all have now.

Floss
Thanks for stepping up and speaking on our behalf!

Hi Groupies!! I am back from an amazing stay at the Villas. My first time staying there even though I have been an owner there for two years. Yes, I did what you are not supposed to do: I bought at a resort that I had never stayed at. But all is good: I loved it (was not surprised about that...). I was amazed how much we were able to avoid the construction. Besides missing the pool, I cannot say that we were impacted in any way.

We had an amazing meal at Artist Point and loved the coffee they have at the Territory Lounge in the mornings. The CMs there were especially nice and it is a great place to sit and have your morning coffee. In my opinion they serve some of the best coffee you can get on property there (definitely better than Joffrey's or Starbucks in my opinion) and you get a 20% discount with an AP.

We also attended the DVC Annual Meeting. I got in line to speak to Ken Pottrock afterwards and told him how sad I am that they turned a resort that I bought because it was themed to trees into one that was going to be themed to rocks now and how much I hate the Boulder Ridge name. I made a point how it appears to existing owners that the new people get the nice stuff, the lovely creek and we as existing owners get the rocks. He ensured me that a lot of the wilderness will be restored to the lodge, but I also got the impression that especially my point about existing owners feeling like being the treated like the unwanted step child now (see my comment regarding rocks) did actually make him think a bit. I don't expect anything to change because of what I said, but maybe I was able to at least create a little more sensitivity with regards to why people bought at VWL in the first place and how they did not do the best job in communicating all those changes. Supposedly everyone who spoke to him would receive a follow up afterwards. I still have not heard anything and since my topic did not really require a follow up, I am not sure if I will receive one.

All in all, we actually found the Annual Meeting to be quite worth while. We also got to speak to some of the General Managers of the resorts we stayed at in the past, including Thea, who is the GM for the Wilderness Lodge and the Villas. I thought it was a great opportunity to give praise for the things I loved at the various resorts in order to help those staying around.
Thanks for speaking up! While I agree that your comments will likely not cause any change in position by Disney regarding our beloved VWL (and other resorts), they were thoughts that did need to be communicated. The comment that drew the most attention, however, was that they're again serving coffee in Territory Lounge. Did they also have an espresso machine and pastries there? When we were there last February, they had recently opened the coffee lounge there and did serve excellent coffee, lattes, cappuccinos, and pastries. However, they closed it down just a couple of months later. I would love for that to stay as a permanent fixture!

Thanks for speaking up! While I agree that your comments will likely not cause any change in position by Disney regarding our beloved VWL (and other resorts), they were thoughts that did need to be communicated. The comment that drew the most attention, however, was that they're again serving coffee in Territory Lounge. Did they also have an espresso machine and pastries there? When we were there last February, they had recently opened the coffee lounge there and did serve excellent coffee, lattes, cappuccinos, and pastries. However, they closed it down just a couple of months later. I would love for that to stay as a permanent fixture!

Yes, pastries and espresso drinks. I think it might be permanent as the WL recently got a new head pastry chef transferred. From what I understand it is a new position and one of the reasons it was created is the need for pastries for the Territory Lounge.

The resorts have gotten more say in how they manage food and beverage again and have more autonomy. So, the WL is responsible for all their own offerings. So, if they create a new position I would say that they intend to stick with it. Maybe it was a test in February and they now put in the permanent structure?

ETA: they also have very cute clipboard menus that they use for the food offerings in the evenings as well. And AP had these gorgeous leather folders for the menu. It all looked very upscale!

Still, I would say that as a collection of nearly 400 million people, we no longer value history beyond what the latest political, entertainment, or sports scandal provides. And that is achingly tragic.

DDad...thanks for piping up! Knowing your demeanor, I'm sure you offered the information in a friendly, informative manner. But I can't say that I'm surprised by the youths' reaction. Anytime someone of our era starts talking about the past most of their eyes glaze over. :bitelip:

Sleepy...Your comments on the educational system are good ones. I enjoyed reading your comments. :thumbsup2

I believe I may have mentioned in an earlier post, but I met John Glenn a few times, and once spent 15 minutes or so chatting with him after he arrived at Andrews AFB late one night before Christmas (I was working a late shift on the flight line). He fit my description of servant for the people, and that encounter has stuck with me more than all the other VIPs I met at Andrews (and they number in the hundreds). Humble, thoughtful, caring, and true representative of his constituents and his country--all those he was.

I had the pleasure of meeting and speaking with John Glenn in 1978. And I couldn't agree more with your assessment. When I lump all politicians together as greedy and power mongering, he was not part of that group.

While famous for his astronaut feats, he was also a true military hero. Per Wikipedia, "Before joining NASA, he was a distinguished fighter pilot in both World War II and Korea, with six Distinguished Flying Crosses and eighteen clusters to the Air Medal."

I do think that people like this exist today, but not many of them go into politics. And if they do, the mud-slinging tendencies of political races would have tarnished them. :sad2:

Flossy...that's great that you took the time to talk to Ken Pottrock about VWL and our concerns. You said exactly what I would have said. And I hope he is speaking the truth when he says that a lot of the wilderness will be restored to the lodge. Again, on behalf of VWL owners and lovers, we thank you!

For all you who are at or just leaving VWL do you think pool construction and the new restaurant will be up and running by Aug 2017? I had written it off for our trip but I saw how the new pictures that they came out with said opening summer 2017.

Lakegirl...I think you will be okay. While construction may be going on throughout 2017, it does appear that the new pool could be open for the summer. If it is critical to you, though, I'd probably wait one more year just to be certain. While Disney may plan to open the pool for the summer, sometimes plans go sideways. However, I must say that based on the construction pace for the pool and surrounding area, I don't see why the pool and new restaurant won't be open next summer.

I am so glad to read here about John Glenn. Thank you.

I will be home in Ohio tonight. That marks the end of this fabulous trip that was highlighted by the Groupie Meet in FL and yesterday as I celebrated mom's 87 th birthday with my sister. Mom was alert and it was special!

Bobbi

JT - Knowing you I'm sure you all made at least one trip to 50s Prime Time. What's the seasonal shake? Still hoping they bring back that white chocolate peppermint one they had two years ago. So good! Last year was gingerbread. :crazy2: Not a fan of gingerbread.

JT - Knowing you I'm sure you all made at least one trip to 50s Prime Time. What's the seasonal shake? Still hoping they bring back that white chocolate peppermint one they had two years ago. So good! Last year was gingerbread. :crazy2: Not a fan of gingerbread.

Hi Julie,

We had lunch at 50's and our server never mentioned a seasonal shake.....eager to hear if JT says there was one! Lol

I am so glad to read here about John Glenn. Thank you.

I will be home in Ohio tonight. That marks the end of this fabulous trip that was highlighted by the Groupie Meet in FL and yesterday as I celebrated mom's 87 th birthday with my sister. Mom was alert and it was special!

Bobbi
At the risk of repeating a story from an earlier post, my longest encounter with Glenn was about three days before Christmas in 1995. During the holiday season, many Congressional types go overseas, ostensibly on business, and when they fly into Andrews, they have many staffers with them, pull government vans around to the aircraft to load them up with gifts bought overseas, and those of us working the flights often used the military term "boondoggle" to describe their trips. When Glenn landed that night, he had his wife, his daughter (who doubled as a staffer), and one other staffer. I drove his personal vehicle to the aircraft where they loaded a few gifts in the back seat (along with the daughter). No trailing vans; no extra government vehicles (the other staffer had his own car, too). He took the time (and it was well past midnight) to get to know me a little, inquire about my career. I was impressed by his grace (and his wife's and daughter's, too) and the fact he had returned from an actual trip to represent the U.S. in Europe. No extra fanfare. No extra expenses. How could you not admire him? The only other politician I've met who exuded that sort of demeanor is Sen. Mark Warner. Would that we had more like those two men.

Granny thanks so much for the reply. I am thinking it will be open too, but then Iremembrr reading all the Poly stories and am hesitant. I may just try switch next month to BCV at the 7 month mark.

personally, I think so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter