VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

I haven't eaten at Flying Fish, so no help there. You might get more/better responses on the Restaurant Board, or the BWV Owners thread. Good luck...I've heard great things about Flying Fish but every time we look at the menu we just can't pull the trigger. :)

Granny - Thanks for the advice I posted my question on the restaurant board.

YoHooooooooooooo . . YoHoooooooooooooo . . . I owe, I owe, so off to work I go . . . . . . . just back from Rancho Cucamonga, CA late last night where I spent four wonderful days at California Steel. I had an opportunity to run over to the Huntington Beach Pier; neat place, good ice cream, lots of people, all fun. The weather was delightful, low 80's with LOW humidity. There were four in our traveling minstrel show; two from our Canadian office. We split up, with our northern crew going to Sana Monica Beach Pier (They had LAX flights early Thursday morning so they had to be closer to LAX). Unfortunately their rental car was broken into and all of their belongings were stolen from the trunk; suitcases, pass ports, laptops, etc. They are still in the LA area today trying to establish IDs, etc. so they can get on an airplane and head back home to Toronto. How unfortunate! Huntington Beach proved to be a much better place to visit!

DiznyDi is counting down the sleeps for her visit to the World. She will be enjoying the short three day visit with our DD and staying at BLT for the first time.

:headache:

http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/dis...ort-the-dvc-expansion-to-begin-in-october.htm

[URL='http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/disneys-wilderness-lodge-resort/gallery/16may2015-wilderness-lodge-resort-dvc-villa-plans.htm']"Wilderness Lodge Resort DVC Villa plans

With the completion of the Disney Vacation Club Villas and Bungalows at Disney's Polynesian Resort, attention is now switching to Disney's Wilderness Lodge, which will undergo a similar expansion to the Polynesian.

Disney has started to advise guests arriving in the fall that a number of leisure and recreation ammenities will be unavailable from October 26 2015.

The main impact will be to the Hidden Springs leisure pool, the resort beach, the playground and the fire pit. During the closure of the leisure pool, the main feature pool will continue to be open as normal.

The nature trail, boat and bike rentals, and spa treatments will also be unavailable from October.

The project will see the addition of 26 waterside bungalows, similar to the recently opened Bora Bora Bungalows at Disney's Polynesian Village Resort, although the Wilderness Lodge units are not built over the water. Also part of the plan is an expanded pool area, a new restaurant and recreation areas.

The project is expected to extend through to the end of 2017, although Disney has not yet given any details or announced the DVC expansion project.

Wild"
[/URL]

:headache:

http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/dis...ort-the-dvc-expansion-to-begin-in-october.htm

"Wilderness Lodge Resort DVC Villa plans

[URL='http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/disneys-wilderness-lodge-resort/gallery/16may2015-wilderness-lodge-resort-dvc-villa-plans/24134.htm']
[/URL]
[URL='http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/disneys-wilderness-lodge-resort/news/10jul2015-closures-at-disneys-wilderness-lodge-to-support-the-dvc-expansion-to-begin-in-october.htm']
[URL='http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/disneys-wilderness-lodge-resort/gallery/16may2015-wilderness-lodge-resort-dvc-villa-plans/24135.htm']
[/URL]
[URL='http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/disneys-wilderness-lodge-resort/news/10jul2015-closures-at-disneys-wilderness-lodge-to-support-the-dvc-expansion-to-begin-in-october.htm']
With the completion of the Disney Vacation Club Villas and Bungalows at Disney's Polynesian Resort, attention is now switching to Disney's Wilderness Lodge, which will undergo a similar expansion to the Polynesian.

Disney has started to advise guests arriving in the fall that a number of leisure and recreation ammenities will be unavailable from October 26 2015.

The main impact will be to the Hidden Springs leisure pool, the resort beach, the playground and the fire pit. During the closure of the leisure pool, the main feature pool will continue to be open as normal.

The nature trail, boat and bike rentals, and spa treatments will also be unavailable from October.

The project will see the addition of 26 waterside bungalows, similar to the recently opened Bora Bora Bungalows at Disney's Polynesian Village Resort, although the Wilderness Lodge units are not built over the water. Also part of the plan is an expanded pool area, a new restaurant and recreation areas.

The project is expected to extend through to the end of 2017, although Disney has not yet given any details or announced the DVC expansion project.

[URL='http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/disneys-wilderness-lodge-resort/gallery/16may2015-wilderness-lodge-resort-dvc-villa-plans/24134.htm']
[/URL]
[URL='http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/disneys-wilderness-lodge-resort/news/10jul2015-closures-at-disneys-wilderness-lodge-to-support-the-dvc-expansion-to-begin-in-october.htm'][URL='http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/disneys-wilderness-lodge-resort/gallery/16may2015-wilderness-lodge-resort-dvc-villa-plans/24134.htm']Wild"[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]
[URL='http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/disneys-wilderness-lodge-resort/news/10jul2015-closures-at-disneys-wilderness-lodge-to-support-the-dvc-expansion-to-begin-in-october.htm'][URL='http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/disneys-wilderness-lodge-resort/news/10jul2015-closures-at-disneys-wilderness-lodge-to-support-the-dvc-expansion-to-begin-in-october.htm'][URL='http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/disneys-wilderness-lodge-resort/news/10jul2015-closures-at-disneys-wilderness-lodge-to-support-the-dvc-expansion-to-begin-in-october.htm']

Now - before everyone panics :). You might notice that the above is pretty much a revelation of the impact for the ENTIRE PROJECT.
So - a question.... is EVERYTHING go to be done ALL AT ONCE, in October 2015? I personally don't think that will be the case :).

So - what's missing that is likely to be of MAJOR IMPORTANCE to anyone staying at the WL during the construction?

A construction time table.

Folk's, I strongly doubt WDW is going to give us this :). For one thing, that timetable (what gets worked on, where, when) MAY be up to the contractors involved. We have no idea if the Pool gets wacked FIRST (in October 2015), or LAST (in 2017).

So how do we find out? I would suggest that there is one, and ONLY one answer: First Hand Observation by our dedicated Member Community. These would be the same folks that let us know in the FIRST place that "something was going to happen", LONG before an "official announcement" :).

Sandy and I are already booked for Nov 2015, and April 2016. As soon as DVC lets us? We'll book for Nov 2016 :). We'll commit to being snoops while we are there - focusing on WHAT AREAS are being worked on. If others will help? I suspect we will ALL have a very effective construction time table that will allow OTHERS to make plans.
[/URL][/URL][/URL]

It may not be immediate construction but it probably will be closing of all the listed facilities immediately whether work begins on them or not. At Poly they closed down the quiet pool a few days later than it was supposed to be because they had issues getting the main pool back up but as soon as they had a pool they closed the smaller one - and then it sat. Several weeks later having not started work - and apparently having some issues with the plans (or contractor) they reopened it for the 4th. The Poly construction was probably a smaller project the impact was felt from all reports.

It was time to head back to the lodge and to bring family - on the date it's all supposed to start. To be honest I have not happy about the project happening at all but now I'm really unhappy. Unless there's some delay this will not be the lodge I looked forward to showing off.

I am so bummed about this. My mom has wanted to stay at WL for years and we finally got a week in December there, so we all have our flights booked etc. Our little guy was so excited to watch the movies in the beach and he loves the playground.

I assume the nature trail will also be out of order?

I assume the nature trail will also be out of order?

Yes. :(

"The nature trail, boat and bike rentals, and spa treatments will also be unavailable from October."

Hey, wait - the spa treatments? Why would they be unable to do those????? Although this isn't an official Disney source.....still usually have good info.

Last edited:
Yes. :(

"The nature trail, boat and bike rentals, and spa treatments will also be unavailable from October."

Hey, wait - the spa treatments? Why would they be unable to do those????? Although this isn't an official Disney source.....still usually have good info.
That is so disheartening, we actually just bought into VWL for the whole nature aspect. I knew there was going to be construction, but not to this extent where everything we love about the resort will be unavailable. My mom is going to be so sad.

Don't they have to protect the indigenous wildlife along the trail and not mess with their habitat? I thought I read s form somewhere.

More info that was posted on the resorts board:

"Disney’s Wilderness Lodge will be undergoing multiple refurbishment projects through 2017. Work will begin in October, with the Hidden Springs leisure pool area, resort beach, playground, and recreation fire pit closing for renovation as early as October 26, 2015. To best assist Guests with planning their vacations, a team of Cast Members will advise Guests of the work taking place and assist with their questions. Guests will also receive a pre-arrival letter.

Take a look at the following frequently asked questions for more information about this project:
1) What are the refurbishment dates? When will work be complete?
Disney’s Wilderness Lodge will be undergoing multiple refurbishment projects beginning in October 2015 and continuing through 2017.
2) How will this work impact my stay?
Throughout this project, Disney is committed to providing a great Guest experience. At certain times of day, there may be some noise and we may have alternative paths of travel throughout the resort. Construction related noise will likely take place between 9 a.m. and 7 p.m. to insure minimal impact to Guests.
3) Why are they removing the current Hidden Springs leisure pool?
As part of the resort enhancement project, the Hidden Springs leisure pool area will be expanded to include a larger pool and more deck space, as well as a hot tub area.
4) I like the pool the way it is now because it’s smaller and more intimate than the feature pool. Why are you changing that?
Muliple DVC Members and Guests stated that they would like to see enhanced offerings at the resort. As a result, the resort will be increasing the pool area, including a larger pool and more deck space, as well as a hot tub area.
5) How long will the Hidden Springs pool be closed? Is there another pool available?
The Hidden Springs pool will be closed for an extended period while the area is under construction. However, the Silver Creek Springs, the resort feature pool, is available and features a water slide, hot tub, and children's water play area.
6) Will the Teton Boat and Bike Rentals close? Will there be an alternative?
Teton Boat and Bike Rentals will be closed in late October while refurbishment work is completed in the area. As an alternative, bikes will be available for rent near the jogging trail. If you would like to rent a boat or enjoy some fishing, you are welcome to visit the marina at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground.
7) Will the beach and playground area close? Any alternatives?
Yes. The beach and playground area at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground remain available throughout this refurbishment work as an alternative.
8) Will the nature trail close?
Although the nature trails at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge and Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground are closing in early October, Guests do have the opportunity to enjoy the great outdoors on the paved New Balance jogging trail which connects Disney’s Wilderness Lodge with Disney’s Fort Wilderness & Campground on a 2.5 mile path.
9) What about the fire pit? Will it be closed as well?
The recreation fire pit will be closing in late October while we complete refurbishment work in the area. As an alternative, Guests are able to visit the Meadow Trading Post area of Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground for Chip ‘n Dale’s Campfire Sing-A-Long, which includes a nightly campfire followed by a movie under the stars.
10) Will there be a nightly movie under the stars at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge?
The recreation staff will host a nightly movie movie indoors in the Carolwood Pacific community room in the Villas at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge for Guests.
11) Why are the spa treatment rooms at Sturdy Branches Health Club closed?
In order to preserve the tranquil spa experience, treatments at Sturdy Branches Health Club will be temporarily unavailable from late October through early February due to construction noise in the area. Spa treatments are available at a number of locations at the Walt Disney World Resort, including nearby at Senses – A Disney Spa at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort.
12) Is watercraft transportation available during the refurbishment?
Yes. Watercraft transportation will continue to operate as normal."

That is so disheartening, we actually just bought into VWL for the whole nature aspect. I knew there was going to be construction, but not to this extent where everything we love about the resort will be unavailable. My mom is going to be so sad.

Don't they have to protect the indigenous wildlife along the trail and not mess with their habitat? I thought I read s form somewhere.

They do have lots of wetlands under protection - I think that some is around the resort but maybe others know better. But often they can switch lands that have been set aside for others. I'm not real certain of all the details though.

From what I see there will no longer be an accessible beach. The new restaurant will take the place of the current beach and the only other beach is the area with the geyser and that is not accessible for the public. Am i wrong?

Laura

so if we planned on staying here for an 8 day trip with only 3 park days.. the days we are at the resort we will hear and see construction from 9:00AM to 7:00pm?! that doesnt seem tranquil or relaxing. esp if our room is in the DVC building and not the main lodge correct?

We are back after a wonderful two days at our (still, for the moment) unsullied VWL, and then our 5-day cruise on the Dream. More to come later after I rest from the 11-hour drive (thanks a lot for nothing, Charlotte, for taking over an hour to get about 15 miles). Currently, the Lodge, in general, and VWL, in particular, are still lovely and serene. Thus, if you have a visit before they start construction, you should be fine. We did notice some minor scaffolding near the concierge level on the main Lodge, as well as black-out curtains on a few rooms on the lower floor closest to the the Villas (as Greg reported). Beyond that, it was quiet. The nature trail is still there, though about halfway down it they post a sign daily about not going any farther, and as if to emphasize the point, there are two long, low dumpsters just beyond the sign. Didn't stop us, of course. We are extremely sad about losing the beach if that comes true. A well-placed CM offered that he/she knew nothing about moving AP to that location; indeed, he/she said nothing was set about any restaurant going there, though an update to Trail's End was in the works (i.e., an outdoor seating area). Back to the nature trail, it's possible--if Disney takes care--to put in the new cabins and still leave room for the trail. I suspect the path to the cabins would be paved, but after the last cabine, it would be easy enough to leave the trail intact. There appears ample room to put in the cabins without taking down all the trees between them and the Villas (will the new resort be called VCWL?). In fact, it makes complete sense to leave most of the trees so that the cabins seem more remote and free from prying eyes at the main Villas building. There is a lot of space between the anticipated locations and the main building. Now, will Disney screw it up anyway? Possibly. But, the hope is there. I like the current HS pool, but it, too, can be expanded without impacting the serenity of the overall VWL experience. If the new plans do not include a slide or other feature, it still won't be sought after by kids and may remain "hidden" to them. For certain, the hot tub needs to be freshened and refurbed--no argument there. In general, I'm holding out some optimism that DVC won't totally screw up a good thing. However, there's no getting around the fact that for about two years, construction will likely be a big PITA party. I'm rethinking our stay there in February.

so if we planned on staying here for an 8 day trip with only 3 park days.. the days we are at the resort we will hear and see construction from 9:00AM to 7:00pm?! that doesnt seem tranquil or relaxing. esp if our room is in the DVC building and not the main lodge correct?

The main lodge may well have construction going on in parts as they convert resort rooms to DVC rooms. But yes, it may be disturbing at VWL. I would ask for a "bus side" room (even number) as a request since that should avoid any construction view or noise.

We are back after a wonderful two days at our (still, for the moment) unsullied VWL, and then our 5-day cruise on the Dream. More to come later after I rest from the 11-hour drive (thanks a lot for nothing, Charlotte, for taking over an hour to get about 15 miles). Currently, the Lodge, in general, and VWL, in particular, are still lovely and serene. Thus, if you have a visit before they start construction, you should be fine. We did notice some minor scaffolding near the concierge level on the main Lodge, as well as black-out curtains on a few rooms on the lower floor closest to the the Villas (as Greg reported). Beyond that, it was quiet. The nature trail is still there, though about halfway down it they post a sign daily about not going any farther, and as if to emphasize the point, there are two long, low dumpsters just beyond the sign. Didn't stop us, of course. We are extremely sad about losing the beach if that comes true. A well-placed CM offered that he/she knew nothing about moving AP to that location; indeed, he/she said nothing was set about any restaurant going there, though an update to Trail's End was in the works (i.e., an outdoor seating area). Back to the nature trail, it's possible--if Disney takes care--to put in the new cabins and still leave room for the trail. I suspect the path to the cabins would be paved, but after the last cabine, it would be easy enough to leave the trail intact. There appears ample room to put in the cabins without taking down all the trees between them and the Villas (will the new resort be called VCWL?). In fact, it makes complete sense to leave most of the trees so that the cabins seem more remote and free from prying eyes at the main Villas building. There is a lot of space between the anticipated locations and the main building. Now, will Disney screw it up anyway? Possibly. But, the hope is there. I like the current HS pool, but it, too, can be expanded without impacting the serenity of the overall VWL experience. If the new plans do not include a slide or other feature, it still won't be sought after by kids and may remain "hidden" to them. For certain, the hot tub needs to be freshened and refurbed--no argument there. In general, I'm holding out some optimism that DVC won't totally screw up a good thing. However, there's no getting around the fact that for about two years, construction will likely be a big PITA party. I'm rethinking our stay there in February.

Sleepy...thanks for the update and comments. I don't see why the nature trail needs to be eliminated...unless they just don't want people to use it anymore. Reading all this about our beloved resort does make me a bit sad...I don't see how they can put in the bungalows without wiping out a lot of trees. They might leave a few as a nod to the theming, but I can't help but think the whole vibe of VWL is going to change.

Not the end of the world, but when you start tinkering with perfection, it's hard to imagine improvement. :)

Lol, I guess this explains why I was able to secure a Concierge level room so easily for September! Oh well, I'm going with the flow! I am going to remain cautiously optimistic about the whole expansion.

Sleepy...thanks for the update and comments. I don't see why the nature trail needs to be eliminated...unless they just don't want people to use it anymore. Reading all this about our beloved resort does make me a bit sad...I don't see how they can put in the bungalows without wiping out a lot of trees. They might leave a few as a nod to the theming, but I can't help but think the whole vibe of VWL is going to change.

Not the end of the world, but when you start tinkering with perfection, it's hard to imagine improvement. :)
Can't disagree with your last statement. After walking the trail a few times this last trip, roughly defining where I believe the cabins will be erected, and taking into account the proposed locations according to the released drawing, DVC can opt to have a minimal impact on the trees located between the Villas and the shore line of the lake. There is ample space to build the cabins alongside the lake and not disturb much of the flora and fauna (and Merryweather ;)) toward the Villas. Building them will undoubtedly erase that portion of trail, but I'm sure that part would be paved as it will lead to the cabins. That being said, I have little confidence that Disney will give a big cahoot about preserving the serenity and natural aspects of the Lodge. The potential exists to blend this project into the oeuvre of WL, to continue to make the Lodge a place of special beauty and a retreat from the buzz saw aspects of being at the World. I just don't trust Disney to make that move. :surfweb:

so my last question would be... if a family is planning a 8 day vacation with only 3 park days and wanted to be able to have a full experience at the resort. would you stay with a studio at WLV or move to AKV in Jambo house??

I hate to admit - I changed my Christmas reservation from the lodge to AKV - Jambo.
Didn't want to take the chance that my granddaughter's wouldn't get to see the lodge at it's best or get hurt somehow.

We were at the Poly on opening day in April and one of them picked up a couple of nails by the ongoing construction area. I'm sure this was unusual for Disney considering how careful they usually are - but between that and the possibility of no quiet pool I changed my reservation.

I'll just have to take them to the Lodge Christmas 2017 - hopefully it will still be the lodge I' loved all these years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter