Used to getting TSA Precheck? Not so fast...

I flew PIT-DFW last week and was surprised I got it on the return trip. My neighbor said she got it both ways on her trip to Italy last week (she had to reclear security at JFK on the way home).

I think your neighbor is confused. TSA Pre doesn't apply in foreign countries.

TSA's solution is to go the "virtual bribe at the border" route rather than employ sensible and effective security practices.

Throughout the thread there were references to getting a KTN in 24 hours. Just what kind of background check can be done in that time? And isn't that quick check just the reason why we are required to submit personal information when we purchase our airline tickets? It's stupid and makes no sense.

They are talking about getting a KTN after their personal interview. The check is done before the interview. You don't get a KTN 24 hours after applying for Tsa Pre or Global Entry.

TSA's solution is to go the "virtual bribe at the border" route rather than employ sensible and effective security practices.

Throughout the thread there were references to getting a KTN in 24 hours. Just what kind of background check can be done in that time? And isn't that quick check just the reason why we are required to submit personal information when we purchase our airline tickets? It's stupid and makes no sense.
It's not 24 hrs. I applied, and was then told to come in for my personal interview. They then took fingerprints, asked some questions. That was on a Tuesday. The man told me my number might be available on Friday..which it was. So, not 24 hrs. I'm sure they did all sorts of checks in those few days.
Oh, and they also said that I had to understand that if, for some reason, I didn't get approval after that personal interview, my money wouldn't be refunded. So, they obviously are doing further checking. Is it really in depth? Probably not.

Do I think the security 'rules' work? Sure, why wouldn't they. Are they necessary? Probably not. Why can't I leave my shoes on and then go through the scanner. why can't the scanner pick up anything in my shoes? They could easily make an underfoot scanner. It's all pretty absurd. But, the problem is if we say anything untoward or funny, at the security point, we are now subjected to a more complete check!!!! Am I a 'sheeple'? No. But I'm also not causing any waves at that point! I'm not stupid.

First of all, I signed up for Global Entry and it was the best $100 I've ever spent. I travel for work about 20 times a year. So my cost per security line is about 50 cents. Well worth the cost to not have to remove anything from bag or body. While the Pre-check line can look long sometimes, it always moves quickly (despite the newbies)

Secondly, the background check is performed by Homeland Security and not TSA. So I imagine they can do a complete criminal background check within 24-72 hours...

Had my appointment this morning.

Appt time was 9am, I was in my car leaving the parking lot at 8:55. HAHA

I filled out the paperwork about a week ago. This was basically just a guy scanning my Passport for authenticity, making sure the information matched on my online application, digital fingerprints, and charging my CC. Not really any questions except verifying info.

I would think that Homeland did my background check last week and this is really just a formality of putting my fingerprints, id to the paperwork.

Last edited:
Had my appointment this morning.

Appt time was 9am, I was in my car leaving the parking lot at 8:55. HAHA

I filled out the paperwork about a week ago. This was basically just a guy scanning my Passport for authenticity, making sure the information matched on my online application, digital fingerprints, and charging my CC. Not really any questions except verifying info.

I would think that Homeland did my background check last week and this is really just a formality of putting my fingerprints, id to the paperwork.
Pretty much my experience! I was driving away at the time my appt was scheduled!!
When I said 'questions', it was stuff like ssn, residence, nothing deep.
The guy was a little strange.

Pretty much my experience! I was driving away at the time my appt was scheduled!!
When I said 'questions', it was stuff like ssn, residence, nothing deep.
The guy was a little strange.

The guy was okay but it was in this dark little industrial park strip mall and shared an office with someplace that did background checks/fingerprints for law and health workers etc plus did screening tests for I don't know what, some of the people waiting were a bit rough around the edges. If the address hadn't come from TSA and been listed on the governmental site, I wouldn't have shown them my grocery store frequent shopper card much less my personal id. But the room where I went had very up to date tech and the guy was very professional and polite.

The guy was okay but it was in this dark little industrial park strip mall and shared an office with someplace that did background checks/fingerprints for law and health workers etc plus did screening tests for I don't know what, some of the people waiting were a bit rough around the edges. If the address hadn't come from TSA and been listed on the governmental site, I wouldn't have shown them my grocery store frequent shopper card much less my personal id. But the room where I went had very up to date tech and the guy was very professional and polite.

That was my experience as well a few weeks ago- in fact I circled around twice before I saw the cardboard sign in the driveway! Strip mall with temporary offices next to a moving company - behind the highway rest area. The entrance was "sketchy" but as you experienced the actual office was nice and the agent was very professional. My apt was at 10:15, I arrived a bit early and I was leaving by 10:20.

Our office in a tiny town in the mountains of WV was a building that sold wood stoves and propane tanks. We drove around in this one stop light town looking for the place. Heck, we even asked the mailman and he didn't know where it was. Everyone was very pleasant and efficient and I had my number in 24 hours. Keep in mind you can go online to check the status of your application and if you number is available you can get it there before you get the official letter. Then go to your airlines and update your profiles.

Wanted to note that we checked in for a flight to DC tonight, and did get PreCheck, presumably based on my wife's Premiere status with United. So it seems the program is not completely shut down.
Had we not gotten pre-check, we were probably going to sign up and pay the money. I might be able to get enrolled in the "free" version based on my security clearance, but that appears to apply just to DoD employees, not contractors, so I have my doubts.

We are Canadian and have our Nexus Cards. $50 per adult and free for our son who is 15. Good for 5 yrs.
I enter our Trusted Traveller number on our airline reservation each time and our Boarding passes have always listed pre-Check.
For us its a no brainer. Nexus gets us across the Bridge from Canada to the US in a zip and comes with the Trusted Traveller program for flying and travelling in the U.S.

I wonder if they put these offices in areas that have populations that are more in need of these services.....screening tests, etc. I know that the office I went to is in an area of the city that's 'okay', but no place I would want to live...plenty of subsidized, low income housing..where the police are constantly a presence! The office I went to was in a strip mall as well.....I would never have known it was there!!!

Well, that's certainly not a strip mall!!!! I could have gone into Boston, but that was just way too much trouble!!!

My next closest offices were in Tulsa or Dallas. LOL The strip mall was actually a little under a mile for our local outlet mall so I was familiar with the area. It's not in the best area either but they it's right on the interstate so they are trying to build up the area and the mall is always busy, so it wasn't a huge deal, just a little eyebrow raising.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter