Twice As Nice & Double the Fun: an offsite October PTR where “2” is the magic number

Great news Gina! I was just checking the JetBlue website for December flights and they have some good prices! Got me thinking Christmas vacation again!

I have also heard great things about the rates through Costco, but sadly, we're not members. If they ever build one a little closer to my house (the nearest is an hour away) then I would be happy to change that ::yes::.
We live 3 hrs from the Costco here but I found the membership saved me more on car rentals than what it cost for the membership so going shopping there when I can is an added bonus. :)

Yay!:yay: So happy for you that you guys get to go in December as well!:santa:

We've done the dinner show at Capone's before with a large group, and everyone really enjoyed it! :goodvibes

Add me as another happy Costco rental car customer. Alamo typically has the best rates and then we can plug in our Costco rental confirmation number into the Alamo website's online check in and go directly to the car aisle. Added bonus for us is free extra driver (DH is primary driver but I will occasionally go pick up dinner or drive to the store)--although I know Steve is just the driver on your trips.

Funny we did the feast with our kids when they were a bit younger. Told them don't you guys want to do it again, since could do last day it is discounted. Both said, not really. Oh well, we may do all day dining instead. I will most likely buy the photo pass annual, particularly if I get an AP discount. Also looking forward to seeing the AP Lounge.

Yep, timing means cheap, so I am pulling little one out of high school 2 days early. They should be done midterms before than, and I am sure she will not be the only kid missing those days. Older one should be done college the week before. Slowly thinking of other things to do. Kids want to visit the Busch parks. No interest in other parks. We will hit Disney Springs. Have to get a little Disney in. Plus, kids have not seen DS since it has been transformed.

Have you considered ICE!, Lynne? I noticed they offer a discount to members of the military. We had a ball there on our first visit, and would wholeheartedly recommend it. This year they offer snow tubing in addition to the ICE! exhibit, as well as a few other fun activities too.

Thank you! Between SeaWorld and Hoop, it was an amazing day :)

While I've never been to Trails End personally, I've heard that the food is similar too

We are super excited for our arrival evening at Fort Wildnerness. I have done a lot of reading about the Trails End buffet, and so far, I'm hard pressed to find a bad review in the bunch.

I really hope you love the MGV. It is their flagship resort. Otherwise, I predict it's curtains for me :sad2:

Never had WFC and never even heard of it. I would actually drive a couple of hours for chocolate and the ones you mentioned.....:love::cloud9::love:

BTW, you MUST go to HDDR. It's totally dorky but so much fun and the food is excellent. Simple but excellent. The time that we went it was the best meal of our trip. Every seat in that place is a good seat so you can actually book cat.3 and end up with a seat almost as close as cat.1 but on the second floor. We were on the DDP so at that time you could only get cat. 2 or 3 and we booked late so it was cat.3 upstairs. I loved it, the seats along the rail give you an unobstructed view.

Steve and I spend a portion of last night (well, until he got called into work at 10:30 pm :rolleyes2) watching videos of the Grande Vista, and it looks like a lovely place. We are definitely happy with our choice and are looking forward to trying something new. After this year, we will have officially stayed in Orlando timeshares owned by Sheraton, Marriott, Wyndham and Westgate. About the only biggies left to try will be Hilton and Holiday Inn VC. Something to shoot for for next year? :scratchin

I hope we can get a room on a high floor that's somewhat close to one of the pools. Would you happen to know if you can submit any requests in advance? (knowing, of course, that they are requests only and not guaranteed?)

OOH ICE! That's the one thing we didn't get to do a couple of years ago that I totally wish we did. If we ever get back at that time of year it's on my must do list.

This year the theme is Charlie Brown Christmas. That's a beloved favourite from BOTH of our childhoods so we couldn't be more pumped!
That's so awesome about your Christmas trip, whoo!!!! :banana: I'm totally jealous but looking forward to reading all about both trips, especially with all the extra Halloween/Christmas fun added in. There's just something so addictive about Orlando vacations...when we were at Disney this year, my husband said, "Enjoy this because we're not coming back next year." Then just last week he said, "So...what parks are we doing next year? I was thinking Animal Kingdom, Magic Kingdom, Hollywood Studios...oh, and Universal of course." :rotfl2:

LOL....it is addictive, isn't it? ::yes::

I just said to Steve last night, since we are over-doing it this year we will forego spring and start planning for October 2017 in the new year. He looked at me and said, Well, don't count out spring. Let's see how much overtime I can squeeze in between now and then, and then we'll decide. At least we've been equally bitten by the Orlando travel bug :blush:.

Oh Dancin, it was Martha Reeves birthday yesterday. Wondering if your Dis name came from the song that she and her Motown band first made famous. I have a soft spot for music from that era, and that, and Dancin is clearly said to be in my home town.

So hot today. Saturday has our seawater in the low 70's, but no match for Florida, seawater temp is in the 90's. Hot beach everywhere along the East Coast.

Hope you are having a good Weekend Gina!

It's been busy, hot and productive. And despite the soaring temperatures, it feels like all we have talked about is Christmas! :santa: I was almost tempted to break out the Christmas CD's this afternoon, just because I'm feelin' so festive. In fact, I still might :teeth:.

I hope you are having an awesome weekend as well!

Yay for the December trip! We've always had a great time on our lower-budget "bonus" trips. There's something about knowing it's a bonus trip, and whatever fun happens, happens, that takes the pressure off and just leads to a happy time. Sounds like you will have tons to do though with the SW passes and MVMCP!

I like the dinner show ideas! They look awesome. I think in Orlando, dinner shows kind of get a second-tier reputation, meanwhile in other places that have less entertainment (like don't have ten major theme parks within an hour's drive lol!), they are considered much more of a main draw.

We did Medieval Times around here...loved loved loved it. It's so cheesy yet well done and the horses are gorgeous and it's just fun.

I do need to do HDDR. Hmm, maybe I will add that to our August trip since we have ten days, might be a good activity for a chill day? Hmmm.... :)

I have no doubt that this will be a most incredible trip, budget or not. The fact that we get to spend it with our dear friends is making every second of it that much nicer. And with a beautiful resort to stay at, SeaWorld, Aquatica, MVMCP, and ICE!, its already shaping up to be full and busy.

You should definitely see if you can get a HDDR reservation for August!! I would love to hear your review of it if you go! :thumbsup2 Do you think they will have availability this late in the game?

I totally agree with this! On a bonus trip we are just grateful to sneak away unexpectedly that the expectations are so much lower aren't they?

As Corey on the Dis podcasts would say....I'm just going to be happy to be there :goodvibes . Thankful for every minute!

So glad you guys are getting your December trip!

Any of you that wants to send some of the heat to Seattle I would love you! We had a hotter than normal summer last year, which I loved, but most didn't. This year is more normal or a little cooler so far and I don't like it. Barely had the flip flops out. Our spring was hotter than summer has been so far. Supposed to get to 75 today. It's been humid though, which is weird for here and at least making it a little warmer because of it. I lived long enough in CA and NC that I got used to the heat so moving back home to Seattle I wish for hot weather all summer, well 85 or so. We have a/c so I don't worry, most people here don't.

Thanks afan!

We'll gladly send you some of this oppressive heat and humidiity. Much as I love summer weather, this is getting a little tiring. Especially when its been so unbelievably dry :crazy2:.

Mega woo-hoo for your December trip coming together. :cheer2: I'm sorry that our paths won't cross in Florida, but getting to travel with your bestie is pretty fabulous. I cannot wait to hear all of your plans. I really, really need to get some more movement on my trip. You'll have two trips completely planned before my one is all figured out. :confused3:confused3

LOL, its so much fun to have a partner-in-crime for planning this December getaway. We emailed for like three hours straight last night.....she is as excited as I am!! :p At this rate, we'll have it all figured out by Friday and nothing to do for 4.5 months :rotfl2:.

Yay! December trip! That means a bonus trip report for us to enjoy, I hope!

Absolutely! I might not even be finished our October trip report by the time the December one rolls around though :lmao:.

Great news Gina! I was just checking the JetBlue website for December flights and they have some good prices! Got me thinking Christmas vacation again!

I couldn't believe the prices we got, for so close to Christmas. $166 each way including seat selection and one checked bag per person. I think we got lucky and caught that brief little dip before fares start to rise again....this morning, one of our flights is up to $208.

We live 3 hrs from the Costco here but I found the membership saved me more on car rentals than what it cost for the membership so going shopping there when I can is an added bonus. :)

I have checked the Costco rates for both our upcoming trips, and so far what we have reserved is quite a bit better than Costco's prices. If that changes, though, I would not be averse to getting a membership to save some $$. Like you said, I might enjoy the chance to shop there, too, from time to time!

Yay!:yay: So happy for you that you guys get to go in December as well!:santa:

We've done the dinner show at Capone's before with a large group, and everyone really enjoyed it! :goodvibes

Great to hear the positive feedback on Capones! It definitely looks like it will be a good choice for me especially, a fairly picky eater.

Add me as another happy Costco rental car customer. Alamo typically has the best rates and then we can plug in our Costco rental confirmation number into the Alamo website's online check in and go directly to the car aisle. Added bonus for us is free extra driver (DH is primary driver but I will occasionally go pick up dinner or drive to the store)--although I know Steve is just the driver on your trips.

Oh, that's interesting about the extra driver....something I wasn't aware of! Definitely a little bonus to keep in mind as I'm looking at pricing. While its not a necessity, it is still a nice perk to have (just in case).

Gina how did you get the great price for the Marriott?

I booked a Getaway through Interval International. It was only $327 plus taxes for the week. I could hardly believe the price when I saw it! There were several different resorts we could have picked from including SVR and multiple Marriott timeshares, all 2 bed/2 bath villas.

You are so lucky....to get away at Chirstmas...however this is the last year of Nutcracker for at least 3 years so maybe 2017?

Our weather is warming up :)

I hate writing cover letters. I always think a resume should be enough. This one is for a job with an organization I already volunteer with, they know what I've done but it needs to have the right amount of 'I'm drinking the kool aid' in it. Fingers crossed for the job, that they'll see how awesome I am and make it full time and let me work remotely because I'm not moving :)

I know none of you know me, well aside from that I like Disney, UO, live in Seattle and like Gina's trip reports. But I need somewhere to mention it :) I hate talking about applying for jobs with people because then if it doesn't happen you have to tell them cause they'll eventually ask. Ok, back to the letter and trying not to blow too much smoke up their bottoms.

I hate writing cover letters. I always think a resume should be enough. This one is for a job with an organization I already volunteer with, they know what I've done but it needs to have the right amount of 'I'm drinking the kool aid' in it. Fingers crossed for the job, that they'll see how awesome I am and make it full time and let me work remotely because I'm not moving :)

I know none of you know me, well aside from that I like Disney, UO, live in Seattle and like Gina's trip reports. But I need somewhere to mention it :) I hate talking about applying for jobs with people because then if it doesn't happen you have to tell them cause they'll eventually ask. Ok, back to the letter and trying not to blow too much smoke up their bottoms.

Good luck with the job application :goodvibes some years ago at work, everyone had to reapply for their own jobs, now that is weird :confused:

Good luck with the job application :goodvibes some years ago at work, everyone had to reapply for their own jobs, now that is weird :confused:

Thanks! What? That doesn't even make sense. I thought it was bad enough when a job had me write the description of what I do since it was a created job of a hodge podge of stuff. Did everyone get to keep their job?

:sad2:
Thanks! What? That doesn't even make sense. I thought it was bad enough when a job had me write the description of what I do since it was a created job of a hodge podge of stuff. Did everyone get to keep their job?

Yes the first time round and then the redundancies started :sad2:

You are so lucky....to get away at Chirstmas...however this is the last year of Nutcracker for at least 3 years so maybe 2017?

If you can do it, you won't regret it. There is just something about Christmas in Orlando that is absolutely magical (even outside the infamous Disney bubble). The whole city is just ooozing with holiday cheer.....and the respite from the Canadian cold is a happy bonus, too!

Well, this is definitely a safe place to share your stresses over the job application, regardless of whether you are successful in getting the job or not (LOL, I can speak from experience.....my pride is still stinging a big from my recent "thanks but no thanks" decline). Sending you some good vibes and positive thoughts in the hopes that they bring you good luck on the job front pixiedust:. We'll all be here to celebrate with you if you get that new position, or cheer you up if you don't. But you've got this :thumbsup2 .... I can feel it! ;)

As for the cover letter, I completely agree with you: your resume should speak for itself. They always feel redundant and are so hard to write. I hope you were able to get those creative juices flowing and came up with something that "sells" you perfectly!

I finally got my pre-trip report started! I hope this link works properly.

http://www.disboards.com/threads/what-are-we-celebrating-everything-a-december-2016-ptr.3529592/

Yay! You decided to give it a go! :banana: I will be over there super soon to join in the chatter ::yes::.

Okay, that is just bizarre :sad2:. Was the company purchased by another entity, and this was their way to flush out the dead weight?

Well, this is definitely a safe place to share your stresses over the job application, regardless of whether you are successful in getting the job or not (LOL, I can speak from experience.....my pride is still stinging a big from my recent "thanks but no thanks" decline). Sending you some good vibes and positive thoughts in the hopes that they bring you good luck on the job front pixiedust:. We'll all be here to celebrate with you if you get that new position, or cheer you up if you don't. But you've got this :thumbsup2 .... I can feel it! ;)

As for the cover letter, I completely agree with you: your resume should speak for itself. They always feel redundant and are so hard to write. I hope you were able to get those creative juices flowing and came up with something that "sells" you perfectly!

Thanks! I'm currently at a temp job that wants to hire me, if I want to be or I can continue as a temp. There's no timeframe on it though due to other stuff. I like it ok but it's not related to what I have done or what I want to do, so fingers crossed on this one. I'm almost done with the letter, waiting for a couple people to read it to make sure I have all the info I need in it.

Okay, that is just bizarre :sad2:. Was the company purchased by another entity, and this was their way to flush out the dead weight?

In the end it was a way of getting rid of people. It was structure, restructure, cost cutting, bought another company, restructure again, cost cutting (labour is so expensive), you get the idea. I survived about 8 years of this and finally after 24.5 years with that company it was my turn :( so I totally feel everybody's pain if anything like this happens.

Steve and I spend a portion of last night (well, until he got called into work at 10:30 pm :rolleyes2) watching videos of the Grande Vista, and it looks like a lovely place. We are definitely happy with our choice and are looking forward to trying something new. After this year, we will have officially stayed in Orlando timeshares owned by Sheraton, Marriott, Wyndham and Westgate. About the only biggies left to try will be Hilton and Holiday Inn VC. Something to shoot for for next year? :scratchin

I hope we can get a room on a high floor that's somewhat close to one of the pools. Would you happen to know if you can submit any requests in advance? (knowing, of course, that they are requests only and not guaranteed?)

The Hilton Parc Soleil is stunning. The suites are very modern....the bathtub fills from the ceiling. The only Holiday Inn VC that I have any experience with is Orange Lake. It's not a place I would ever stay. It gets pretty bad reviews. Things get stolen there, shady looking guests, run down accommodation. We have played golf there several times and you have to drive through to the back to get to the course.

You would have to call the MGV to make a request. I think they changed the policy on making requests though. They will note them but you will have to ask at check in for what you want. We stayed in building 79(second floor) and building 81(ground floor). The suite we had in 79 was great because we were right in front of the stairs so we would park at the stairs and walk right to our door. However, being on the second floor we looked out right into a palm tree. You had to sit on one side of the balcony and kind of look to one side to be able to see the water. Not bad but one floor higher would have given a better view. In building 81 we had the very last suite at the end away from the pool. Basically no view of anything except the very end of the lap pool. It was quiet though no pool noise at all. I also liked this location because we spent most of that trip at the pool so it was super easy to go back and forth from the pool to the suite to get food/drinks. If you are a Starbucks fan they have a Starbucks counter in the little shop inside the main building. From building 81 it's right next door. I totally took advantage and got a big Frappacino every morning to take to the pool.

On the request topic. Last time the lady at check in got on the phone and asked what was available for immediate check in. This was about 10:45am. She gave me several choices and even let me be VERY picky about it. She was really sweet and had a good laugh at my picky-ness.

Last edited:
Thanks! I'm currently at a temp job that wants to hire me, if I want to be or I can continue as a temp. There's no timeframe on it though due to other stuff. I like it ok but it's not related to what I have done or what I want to do, so fingers crossed on this one. I'm almost done with the letter, waiting for a couple people to read it to make sure I have all the info I need in it.

Well, best of luck from all of us! :goodvibes Do keep us posted once your application is submitted and you have any news, either way.

In the end it was a way of getting rid of people. It was structure, restructure, cost cutting, bought another company, restructure again, cost cutting (labour is so expensive), you get the idea. I survived about 8 years of this and finally after 24.5 years with that company it was my turn :( so I totally feel everybody's pain if anything like this happens.

Oh man, starting over after that long in one job must have been a killer. These days, I guess its not safe to assume your job is secure no matter how long you've been employed. It makes me a little sad for our young people and their futures: their journey into the workforce is not going to be an easy one.

The Hilton Parc Soleil is stunning. The suites are very modern....the bathtub fills from the ceiling. The only Holiday Inn VC that I have any experience with is Orange Lake. It's not a place I would ever stay. It gets pretty bad reviews. Things get stolen there, shady looking guests, run down accommodation. We have played golf there several times and you have to drive through to the back to get to the course.

You would have to call the MGV to make a request. I think they changed the policy on making requests though. They will note them but you will have to ask at check in for what you want. We stayed in building 79(second floor) and building 81(ground floor). The suite we had in 79 was great because we were right in front of the stairs so we would part at the stairs and walk right to our door. However, being on the second floor we looked out right into a palm tree. You had to sit on one side of the balcony and kind of look to one side to be able to see the water. Not bad but one floor higher would have given a better view. In building 81 we had the very last suite at the end away from the pool. Basically no view of anything except the very end of the lap pool. It was quiet though no pool noise at all. I also liked this location because we spent most of that trip at the pool so it was super easy to go back and forth from the pool to the suite to get food/drinks. If you are a Starbucks fan they have a Starbucks counter in the little shop inside the main building. From building 81 it's right next door. I totally took advantage and got a big Frappacino every morning to take to the pool.

On the request topic. Last time the lady at check in got on the phone and asked what was available for immediate check in. This was about 10:45am. She gave me several choices and even let me be VERY picky about it. She was really sweet and had a good laugh at my picky-ness.

Our flight from Buffalo on December 17th doesn't leave until just before 1 pm (much later than we are used to!) so we don't arrive in Orlando until around 3:30 that afternoon. That puts us arriving at the resort around 5-ish, assuming no delays at baggage claim or picking up the rental vehicle. I think I will call a few days before we arrive to see if they can accommodate a few of our requests. We would love to be on a top floor, close to a pool, with a nice view. Considering the busier time of the year, I don't expect they will able to check all the boxes on my wish list but hopefully they can tick one or two.

Am I correct that the Grande Vista has just two (albeit large) pools?

We are officially at 80 days until our October departure pirate: and 144 days until our Christmas trip :santa:.

For our October trip, I have been trying to round up a group of interested individuals for a Memory Maker share, and I appear to have found a group of six (including myself) who are game to split the charges so we can all have access to our photos taken at the Disney parks. We did a share last year and it worked out to be a cost effective solution for us for our two parties: splitting the cost six way makes it between $25 and $30 per family, while a one-day Memory Maker through Disney is $59.99. Unfortunately for me, no one seems to be too keen to lead the share group, so it looks like that job will probably fall to me. While I didn't really want that responsibility in the days leading up to our trip, I suppose I can at least rest easy in knowing that I don't risk being duped by a stranger on a message board (these things are always a leap of faith that you are dealing with an honest person). I have everyone's name and email address now so I will try and reach out to the group later today to get things underway.

In the meantime, I have replied to a Memory Maker share thread for December in the hopes that I can jump in on that one as well so we can have our pictures from the MVMCP we plan to attend. This is especially important as it will be our very first Christmas Party at MK and our friends will be with us, too. I haven't yet received a reply to that message but there's still a boat load of time to work out that particular detail.

Today is the last day of the SeaWorld Christmas in July sale, so I think we will purchase our tickets to Santa's Fireside Feast before the end of the night to take advantage of the 30% discount being offered. The December itinerary has been quickly taking shape (there is a spreadsheet now officially created! :woohoo:) so we rapidly developing a plan which will now allow us to secure reservations for the various dates of our trip without the risk of over-booking. Along with the Fireside Feast dining package, I think tonight I will buy our MVMCP tickets for the date we have picked out: we'll be going to the final party of the season on December 22nd :santa:. We only have two parties to pick from on our week, December 18th or the 22nd, and quite honestly we both thought that each of them will be equally crowded so it really didn't matter which one we settled on. I have a feeling that both have the potential to sell out (and possibly, quite well in advance) so I will sleep better at night once those tickets (or, in our case, email vouchers) are in hand. After this past weekend, Mastercard is going to wonder if we've gone stark raving mad :rotfl:.

The park-and-fly reservation for December was secured this morning (we're heading back to the Days assuming they don't drop the ball in October) as well as an extra night on the end of our trip. Our flight home from Orlando doesn't land until 9:45 pm and there's no way we want to be making the long drive at that point in time, especially on Christmas Eve and into the wee hours of Christmas morning when virtually nothing will be open. Driving home on Christmas morning isn't ideal but we're willing to make the sacrifice ;). If we get on the road first thing after breakfast, we're hoping his might be the first time we don't encounter traffic through the great city of Toronto.

Not much else new to report, except that we FINALLY got some rain this morning. After a month of literally no precipitation and ridiculously hot weather, it was a welcome way to start the day. We could still use a couple more days worth, but for now.....its a start.

Hope you all are having a good beginning to your week :goodvibes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter