"This is supposed to be the happiest place on Earth, and I AM NOT HAPPY!"- An August 2016 TR New!

We had fastpasses for the safari but we had a while, so we decided to go to see some animals. We first went to Rafiki’s planet watch. We got to meet a few cast members, all from NJ too! It happens every time, it’s like the send all the people from Jersey there. Ashley met her first character, Rafiki!
She loves Lion Guard so this was a good one because she knew him. He was excited to see her LG outfit too. After looking around a bit we headed back, not before Kevin decided he needed to play Pokemon. So we let him, and quickly realized Disney is the Pokemon Mecca. This became a problem, but for now was cute. We had fastpasses for the Safari so we headed there first.
upload_2016-10-31_15-34-32.png
We got on quickly and were so excited because Ashley would finally see real live elephants, her favorite! So we start moving and her eyes start drooping. She fell fast asleep. When we got to the elephants Kevin tried to wake her, but nope. Passed out. *sigh* We did get to see a lot despite the heat, someone mentioned they were more active after storms so that might have been it. We decided we needed a water refill so we went to a bar nearby who had a water station, YAY! We had dinner reservations at 5:05 at Sanaa, it was almost 4 so we decided to head back. I had just received the text with the room number so we figured we could rest a bit.

We were so very wrong.

We got to the bus stop for AKL and it was long. Very long. And getting longer. We waited almost 30 minutes for a bus to get there, so we hopped on and it was cramped. First stop was Kidani Village so we had more waiting. Finally we got to Jambo house at about 4:45. OMG!

We ran to the room, put down the things we could, and decided to drive over to Kidani for dinner. We didn’t even get to look around yet. We headed down and got to Sanaa at 5:08. We still got a seat by the window, but there weren’t many animals out to see right there. It’s fine they were shy. We started with the bread as usual and it’s just perfect. Kevin got pizza, I got lamb with feta and apricots, and Dan got something. The food was all perfect as usual. We were on the dining plan for this meal so we paid and left and went back to Jambo House.

Because of the trunk we had to load up and bring everything up the hard way, with my husband crawling to the back and pushing stuff up. We finally made it to the room and it was amazing. KEvin called it his happy place. upload_2016-10-31_15-35-20.pngWe walked onto the balcony and it was just perfect. We watched the animals a bit, unpacked a bit, and around 7:30 I went to Dan and said I knew we planned to go back but did we have to? We were tired, finally relaxing. I knew there were rides he wanted to go on, but he did agree to stay.

We went inside to change and chill out around 8, and at 8:30 I heard some noises. I looked out and there were fireworks! We were able to see HS fireworks from our room. So we sat outside and watched. It was an amazing view, just perfect. After they were over it was time to wrangle everyone up and put them to bed. It took longer than normal for everyone to pass out, but the kids were asleep by 10 and us not long after. Tomorrow was the big day, Kevin’s 9th birthday!

Tomorrow was also the worst day of the trip. I am going to be honest, and give the worst of the worst just how it was. It sucks that his birthday played out how it did, but it was what it was. But for now, we just sleep.

Next up: How much is it to take the baby and fly home?

Some pics that I missed.

Here is Ashley at the airport, not amused with us leaving so early.
upload_2016-10-31_15-39-48.png

Here is the billboard my son missed in Tampa. He. Missed. It. upload_2016-10-31_15-40-21.png

And Princess Ashley waiting for the bus to AK. upload_2016-10-31_15-40-46.png

So sorry about your daughters' head :( I'm glad it wasn't worse. And I'm a little surprised at what the CM said in first aid! Even if that's how she feels it's weird to say. And FWIW I'd prefer my boys not have scars from their injuries either lol

Thank you! It looked so much worse than it was. I prefer my kids to be scar free as well, my son was never a risk taker, I foresee many a ER visit with Ashley though. She is a daredevil.

I haven't read all of your report yet but I wanted to jump in about pictures.

What I like to do, which is easiest, is to pull up the picture that I want from my computer - as in double click on the picture icon and then a big picture shows up on my screen. Then I right click on the picture and choose "Copy". I then go to my post, right click where I want the pic and choose "Paste".

Sometimes the picture is too big. If all your pictures end up being like that, you'll need to use a program like Picasa to make them smaller. Picasa is free from Google. After you download it, go back to the picture that you wanted from your computer, double click on the picture icon to make it pop up on the screen like before. Right click on the pic, this time you should have the option to "Edit in Picasa". Click on that. Your picture will come up in the Picasa program. Once it does, click on "File" then "Export Picture to Folder". Leave everything as it is except for the pixels box. Change it to 800. Then click on okay. Picasa will export your picture and automatically open the folder for you with your downsized picture.

Then you do as you did before, open the now downsized picture from the folder, right click "Copy" then go to your post and right click "Paste".

Good luck and let me know if you have questions!

Yep, that was easy and I feel dumb! Thank you!!!

August 25. Kevin’s 9th birthday.

We woke up and the plan was to go to Epcot for the day, his choice. Dinner at Italy, his choice. My husband had to return the car that morning so we were going to split up and meet at Epcot and get some quick serve breakfast. We got ready and left the room nice and early. I was ready for a good day! We went to the busses and it was pretty busy, but to be expected in the morning. As we were waiting I got bit by some bug and it burned, it was pretty bad. I have no idea what it was, but my arm burned for a good 10 minutes. There was a family from France next to us, and as the bus was pulling in I was telling my son what he needed to help with and the father told him not to that he would help me. I found that to be so nice, he certainly didn’t have to! We pull away and not 3 minutes later Ashley is fast asleep. Now I panic, I have a stroller and 3 bags plus a sleeping baby and Kevin. We pull up to Epcot and I said to Kevin that we needed to be last off because we had to figure out what to grab. With that a woman comes over and asks if she can take the stroller for me. OMG! She not only took it off the bus but opened it and helped us situate. I was truly amazed at how kind people were being.

We made it through security easily and when we got to Spaceship Earth I called Dan to see where he was. He was already on the shuttle to Epcot, so we decided to wait there. We walked to the side and were talking when I hear commotion. It turned out a boy was lost and someone saw him crying and by the time I noticed 4 other women were surrounding him. Way to go moms! Kevin asked if I was going over and I said no, he was already scared enough and there was enough help. It also isn’t the first time I saw a missing kid, but the last time no one helped until I noticed and ran over. But I saw her for a while, I assumed she was with her parents. As this was happening we saw Dan walking up. We made a quick reminder of what to do if he got lost and then we were off.

We walked over to the Land, the idea was to go to Sunshine Seasons, but forgot there were no strollers allowed and she was still sleeping. We walked back and decided on Starbucks. We got 3 breakfast sandwiches and drinks, then sat outside for a little bit. While we were waiting we told Kevin his next surprise, we would be going on the Behind the Seeds tour. He wasn’t sure what to think yet, but was excited anyway. After eating we walked back to the Land to check in. We had about 15 minutes to wait so we went to the bathroom and rested a bit.

The tour was amazing! Kevin loved it and asked some great questions. You get to hear some neat details about the land and get to touch the coolest plant. It was about 90 minutes long, and maybe $20 with the Visa card discount. Definitely worth the price. Again, no strollers and we forgot the wrap so our arms were tired after. And it’s hot in there, very very hot.

After we left we went over to the Seas and the first stop was Turtle Talk. This was when Kevin’s mood starting going downhill. He asked to do this, but he complained the whole time and when we sat down he would barely smile. We left and went over to the ride. Ashley loved the ride! Kevin, well he complained that it was for babies. Ugh. Ok. So we left and went to ride on Figment. I love Figment. Kevin hated it and threw a fit after. Again, ugh. Ok, last ride before dinner was Test Track. Last thing he asked to do.

We I take him on, Dan gets motion sickness so I could let him know if he could go on. We get on, and I love it! I told Kevin if he felt sick to close his eyes, but his eyes were wide open. He was terrified. We got off and he starts screaming that it was a roller coaster. I was like, no that wasn’t. But if you’re scared I’m sorry, I didn’t think he would be.

We find Dan and Ashley and he is still going on about it. I check my phone and have a VM for the vet. Dan said he got one too, something about Squeaks and to call. We leave and go to a store where I am able to make the call easier.

Overnight she reached her paw out of the cage, when she tried to pull back in it got caught on the side and she panicked and pulled. Being hurt, she started biting herself. They found her in the morning bloody, and thought they would amputate. She was sedated and they were doing surgery. I went back and told them, and Kevin yells that I ruined his day. Dude, I didn’t do any of this.

Ok, fine. I looked at them and said we are all hot and hungry so let’s walk to dinner. We figured we could take the ferry over, but that wasn’t running. So we walked. And walked. And the more we walked the more complaining he did. I reminded him that he wanted this for dinner, and we would be there soon. We finally got to Via Napoli and I go to check in. They can’t find us. We have no reservation they say. So I get my phone and show them I do, and they can’t pull it up. I was like, nope you will find it. I’m not sure if they did or not but we did get a table.

The service was great! I could have even gotten Ashley a full kids meal for free, but she would never have eaten one so we just got her some juice. The food was good, not great but I am Italian from NJ so I knew to lower my expectations. It was funny though, the waitress tried to explain to me what I was ordering and when I said “I’m from NJ, I’ve had it before” she laughed and said it gets sent back a lot.

So we are sitting there and things are a little calmer. I asked if we wanted to grab a FP for Spaceship Earth on the way out and everyone agreed. So we did that, we paid, and we left. To the heat. Where immediately I was the enemy again. I tried to make him understand that if we wanted to leave we had to walk. It was a very long walk. We made it over and enjoyed the ride. Then back to the busses.

And you’re thinking, this isn’t so bad. But it gets worse. It’s only 6 PM.

6 PM.

The next 4 hours would be terrible. They would test me. I am normally very patient. I understand mental illness. I understand my kid. But I was tested, and I failed.

No, I didn’t beat anyone. So there is that. I guess.

We get back to the room and sit outside for a bit, figuring relaxing on the balcony would work. Kevin went on his tablet and my husband took a nap. At 7 I decided I wanted a drink, so I took the kids and walked to get some refills. We got them and went back to the room. The original plan was to go to the pool, but no one asked to go. We were right next to the pool, and Kevin didn’t say a word. I figured since we were all drained we would sleep. So we get back up with drinks and a few snacks. I then gave Ashley a bath. I figured if I was done by 8:30 we could sit and watch the fireworks.

Around 8 my husband looks at me and says “no pool huh?” I said we were there for 2 hours and no one asked to go. It can’t always be my decision. I suggested they go. That wasn’t good enough. By now Kevin is complaining that we didn’t go to the pool, so I said I would take him. No, it was all or nothing. But the baby was bathed, and she wasn’t going in the pool. I put Ashley in her crib so I could get ready for bed and Kevin starts kicking the crib. To the point that Ashley was being knocked over. I took her out and yelled at him. He started screaming and growling at us.

Dan had been outside, so he comes in and asks what happened. I explained and Kevin got madder. He walked over to Dan and put his fist in his face. I lost it. We don’t hit, ever. I yelled, I asked why he would do that. He said he didn’t care. I asked how he would feel if we hit him, and he laughed. So I screamed, a lot. He started throwing things.

Finally, I said I was done. I had enough. I said I was going home. I went and got my tablet to see the cost of changing flights. Dan tried to take the tablet but quickly learned how angry I really was. And I would have, but the cost was too high. I turned to him and asked why he refused to enjoy his vacation.

It was hot.

He didn’t have his video games.

Disney was for babies.

Wait, what?!?

So he says that he was made fun of for going. That the kid who bullied him would find out and it would get worse. But finally, and realize it’s now after 10 PM, we have the real reason. Now we can work on it. Ashley is finally passed out and I put her down. By then I was beat. Dan and Kevin talked some more, and Dan asked that he sleep it off and we have fun tomorrow. Kevin said ok, reluctantly.

Looking back, we should have eaten those $10 fees and not walked to Italy. We should have gone to the pool and tried for Boma. We should have not pushed it. But when he refused pictures we also should have tried to find out why right then and there. Not before it got out of hand. When you ask him about his birthday now he talked about Behind the Seeds. He will talk about the trip as a whole. But we all with the day had gone differently.

Next up: A teen saves the vacation, worst meal at Disney, and a rotten first impression of a hotel

Day 4

We woke up and I was still very stressed, but everyone was in a batter mood. Dan and I sat outside for a little bit and watched a baby giraffe try to chase all the other animals. It was so cute! And then the momma giraffe showed up and the baby just walked off like he did nothing. We couldn’t stop laughing, it was great. We had to pack our stuff for the day, and we had fastpasses for MK. So we packed up and I called bell services, they were there in less than 5 minutes. We got everyone off to the next hotel, the Boardwalk, and as we were grabbing our things there was another knock on the door from mousekeeping. They already had us out of the room. We finished up, said bye to the animals, and made our way to breakfast.

We stayed there and had quick serve, we wanted to take it slow especially after the night before. We were all still on edge, but we all promised to try to enjoy ourselves. We had lunch reservations so we ate light, and then off to the busses we went. The bus came quickly for MK and soon we were heading inside. The plan was to stay there until our room was ready, but we had a busy morning. I was being obnoxious, and pointing out every kid over the age of 5 and saying “look, he is having fun”.

Our first FP was for Peter Pan. We walked over and were on quickly. We also remembered the baby sling, so it made carrying Ashley so much easier. We got off the ride and I went to get the stroller. When I came back Kevin wasn’t there and Dan didn’t look concerned. Well, he had been looking at his hidden Mickey book and a cast member asked if he wanted some help so they went to go find some. He was back shortly, and very happy.

So we go to walk to our next ride and Kevin is looking in his book. The it happened, some random teen around 15-17 saves the day. He saw the book and said “Mom look, he has a hidden Mickey book! We need one, that’s awesome!” I stopped. Just stopped, mouthed thank you and loudly pointed out the kids age and how he wanted what Kevin had. Kevin acted like he didn’t care, but honestly it was a big change in his behavior. Maybe it was more the night before? All I know is he was much better after. Until he wasn’t, but that comes later. For now, he wanted to have fun!

So we go over to Buzz and I lose badly. Next we ride the teacups, which was a lot of fun as usual. Then it was the big day, Ashley’s first haircut! She did so well, anything for stickers. We were very happy with the experience, and the cost! The place by us is only $3 less than what they charged and you don’t get the experience or the ears. So well worth the money spent.
14100422_10210283240177354_2592711583946269449_n.jpg
14054912_10210283239977349_3865364604896187999_n.jpg

Next up was our lunch reservation at Tony’s. I read mixed reviews, but we got the parade package and it’s one of my favorites so since it would be gone we felt it was worth the risk. So we walk over and are in line to check in. A woman walks in and steps in front of us. I think she is with the guy checking in, but no she was just cutting in line. My husband said something and she just looked at us. Blah! But we checked in quickly and sat to wait. I took the baby to change her and the bathroom was horrible. When I complained they said they called, but in that condition it should have been closed. There was poop all over, seriously. Not the changing table so I got her but, I had to hold it.

Anyhoo, I was able to block that and we were sat to eat. The waiter came over and immediately we were not impressed. He was rude. He saw we had the package and asked if we were on the dining plan. I said yes. BUT, we changed hotels so had 2 different plans so I explained that to him and said if it didn’t work we would pay and handle it at the hotel later. I was prepared for this, but I knew it would be fixed. He scanned my band and said we didn’t have the plan, so again I said “ok, no problem we will pay” and then when Dan looked confused I said “they will fix it at the hotel, it happens.” The waiter came and put the thing in my face and said “I told you you aren’t on a dining plan.” Excuse me? I am, it just needs to be fixed later. I’m not upset, I haven’t even sounded annoyed, I was just clarifying to my husband that it’s not uncommon and the hotel can fix it.

So we order, and the apps come. They were pretty good, so far not too bad. Then the waiter clears the table and takes all my stuff. The entrees come and I have no silverware, no napkin, nothing. We flag him over and I ask for another set and he smirks. He brings it to me and I commented to Dan it felt like spite. But whatever, we were hungry. Kevin said his pizza was ok. Dan loved his pasta. My chicken parm was ice cold. Like, still partially frozen in the middle. The pasta was not hot. I ate the edges of the chicken and some bread and was just sad. I didn’t trust the waiter, so I didn’t want to ask for another. I could have asked for the manager I guess but I didn’t want to make it a big deal.

So we got dessert and I got cannolis, they were really good. I was almost happy my entrée sucked because I had room to eat both! We paid and left, I did comment to the girl at the front that this was the first disappointing meal I had at Disney. One 1 of us actually liked their food, and don’t worry we will get back to that later.

We didn’t get a text about the room yet, but we were full and figured we could look around until it was ready so we headed to the busses. It came quickly and we were on our way to the Boardwalk. And in many ways the worst part of the trip was just about to get started.

Next up: Pool time, parade, and babies do cry

Well, I absolutely love the pictures from Ashley's first haircut! I wish I had done that for my youngest the first time we took him, he was only months and we totally could have done that.
I'm so sorry about Kevin's birthday :( I'm even more sorry to hear the worst part of your vaction is yet to come and that it takes place while at the Boardwalk. We've had 3 great stays there and one really crappy one last Nov. so I'm guessing yours is more like that one.........

Day 4

We woke up and I was still very stressed, but everyone was in a batter mood. Dan and I sat outside for a little bit and watched a baby giraffe try to chase all the other animals. It was so cute! And then the momma giraffe showed up and the baby just walked off like he did nothing. We couldn’t stop laughing, it was great. We had to pack our stuff for the day, and we had fastpasses for MK. So we packed up and I called bell services, they were there in less than 5 minutes. We got everyone off to the next hotel, the Boardwalk, and as we were grabbing our things there was another knock on the door from mousekeeping. They already had us out of the room. We finished up, said bye to the animals, and made our way to breakfast.

We stayed there and had quick serve, we wanted to take it slow especially after the night before. We were all still on edge, but we all promised to try to enjoy ourselves. We had lunch reservations so we ate light, and then off to the busses we went. The bus came quickly for MK and soon we were heading inside. The plan was to stay there until our room was ready, but we had a busy morning. I was being obnoxious, and pointing out every kid over the age of 5 and saying “look, he is having fun”.

Our first FP was for Peter Pan. We walked over and were on quickly. We also remembered the baby sling, so it made carrying Ashley so much easier. We got off the ride and I went to get the stroller. When I came back Kevin wasn’t there and Dan didn’t look concerned. Well, he had been looking at his hidden Mickey book and a cast member asked if he wanted some help so they went to go find some. He was back shortly, and very happy.

So we go to walk to our next ride and Kevin is looking in his book. The it happened, some random teen around 15-17 saves the day. He saw the book and said “Mom look, he has a hidden Mickey book! We need one, that’s awesome!” I stopped. Just stopped, mouthed thank you and loudly pointed out the kids age and how he wanted what Kevin had. Kevin acted like he didn’t care, but honestly it was a big change in his behavior. Maybe it was more the night before? All I know is he was much better after. Until he wasn’t, but that comes later. For now, he wanted to have fun!

So we go over to Buzz and I lose badly. Next we ride the teacups, which was a lot of fun as usual. Then it was the big day, Ashley’s first haircut! She did so well, anything for stickers. We were very happy with the experience, and the cost! The place by us is only $3 less than what they charged and you don’t get the experience or the ears. So well worth the money spent.
14100422_10210283240177354_2592711583946269449_n.jpg
14054912_10210283239977349_3865364604896187999_n.jpg

Next up was our lunch reservation at Tony’s. I read mixed reviews, but we got the parade package and it’s one of my favorites so since it would be gone we felt it was worth the risk. So we walk over and are in line to check in. A woman walks in and steps in front of us. I think she is with the guy checking in, but no she was just cutting in line. My husband said something and she just looked at us. Blah! But we checked in quickly and sat to wait. I took the baby to change her and the bathroom was horrible. When I complained they said they called, but in that condition it should have been closed. There was poop all over, seriously. Not the changing table so I got her but, I had to hold it.

Anyhoo, I was able to block that and we were sat to eat. The waiter came over and immediately we were not impressed. He was rude. He saw we had the package and asked if we were on the dining plan. I said yes. BUT, we changed hotels so had 2 different plans so I explained that to him and said if it didn’t work we would pay and handle it at the hotel later. I was prepared for this, but I knew it would be fixed. He scanned my band and said we didn’t have the plan, so again I said “ok, no problem we will pay” and then when Dan looked confused I said “they will fix it at the hotel, it happens.” The waiter came and put the thing in my face and said “I told you you aren’t on a dining plan.” Excuse me? I am, it just needs to be fixed later. I’m not upset, I haven’t even sounded annoyed, I was just clarifying to my husband that it’s not uncommon and the hotel can fix it.

So we order, and the apps come. They were pretty good, so far not too bad. Then the waiter clears the table and takes all my stuff. The entrees come and I have no silverware, no napkin, nothing. We flag him over and I ask for another set and he smirks. He brings it to me and I commented to Dan it felt like spite. But whatever, we were hungry. Kevin said his pizza was ok. Dan loved his pasta. My chicken parm was ice cold. Like, still partially frozen in the middle. The pasta was not hot. I ate the edges of the chicken and some bread and was just sad. I didn’t trust the waiter, so I didn’t want to ask for another. I could have asked for the manager I guess but I didn’t want to make it a big deal.

So we got dessert and I got cannolis, they were really good. I was almost happy my entrée sucked because I had room to eat both! We paid and left, I did comment to the girl at the front that this was the first disappointing meal I had at Disney. One 1 of us actually liked their food, and don’t worry we will get back to that later.

We didn’t get a text about the room yet, but we were full and figured we could look around until it was ready so we headed to the busses. It came quickly and we were on our way to the Boardwalk. And in many ways the worst part of the trip was just about to get started.

Next up: Pool time, parade, and babies do cry

Hi Karenann,

I'm enjoying your trip report as we had our worst trip this past August too (I think we flew in the 10th to the 17th and stayed at Boardwalk Villas)! (My DS (who has an IEP), 11 and DH are heat sensitive and were really cranky throughout the trip which really put a damper on things.) The construction at Boardwalk Inn was more extensive then I was led to believe, rides down when we had fastpasses and meltdowns in the park in the blistering heat all equaled up to our worst trip at Disney :sad2:. My DD, 8 was a doll the entire trip, she's a born traveler like her mama!

Anyway, I understand exactly how you feel. When you plan, and save for a Disney trip and your are aggravated for half the trip it really is a let down. Looking forward to more updates! Marina :flower1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter