Safely Driving through CA to Disneyland?

We’ll be driving down from Northern California (Sacramento), and I’ve both driven to LA and driven around LA in a rental car many times. You have to be smart and aware, like you would anywhere, but if you can drive in any major American city I think you can drive in LA.
We've done that drive a hundred times. When driving north on I-5, we like to stop at Hot City BBQ in Los Banos. It is just past the half way point and the food is fantastic (warning, it is only open on Friday - Sunday). Driving down, we tend to take 99 over I-5. There are more towns for gas and bathroom breaks. That said, if either route has construction, we take the other.

How do California drivers compare to the DMV area? I'm contemplating renting a car when I visit Disneyland next year but have heard the driving is pretty bad. The DMV area is pretty bad too and I drive here daily so if I can handle it here, I think I can handle Southern California lol It certainly does feel like I'm playing a game of Mario Kart sometimes with these drivers.
You'll be fine. If you can deal with the beltway at rush hour, you'll be fine in CA at is worst. (We moved to AZ from MD.)

I would much rather drive in California than in, say, Orlando or Atlanta. People rag on LA traffic and yeah, there's a lot of it, but the drivers are actually pretty good in my experience. There are a lot of people on the road, but most of them know what they're doing, even if they can be a bit aggressive.

Contrast that to Atlanta or Orlando, where nobody knows what they're doing and might just almost run into you repeatedly because the last thing on their mind is the road around them.

As a driver in one of the most aggressive and dangerous areas of the United States, I've never felt worried when driving in and around LA. I'm sure to someone in LA, LA drivers are aggressive and dangerous but I think they pale in comparison to what I experience here. In DFW, people are ridiculously impatient. In LA, I've found that's not really the case since traffic is expected everywhere. I've had an easier time getting let into lanes, not cut off, and not tailgated in LA way more than here in DFW. Just my little anecdote for the thread.

Agree with the others who've said that just be aware of your surroundings, leave valuables either out of sight or take them with you, don't drive aggressively, and don't answer back any honks or gestures and you'll be fine.

As a driver in one of the most aggressive and dangerous areas of the United States, I've never felt worried when driving in and around LA. I'm sure to someone in LA, LA drivers are aggressive and dangerous but I think they pale in comparison to what I experience here. In DFW, people are ridiculously impatient. In LA, I've found that's not really the case since traffic is expected everywhere. I've had an easier time getting let into lanes, not cut off, and not tailgated in LA way more than here in DFW. Just my little anecdote for the thread.

Agree with the others who've said that just be aware of your surroundings, leave valuables either out of sight or take them with you, don't drive aggressively, and don't answer back any honks or gestures and you'll be fine.
I tend to agree with this. I grew up in and live in the South, and love it's people. But we have the WORST drivers anywhere. I've driven in LA, SF, Diego, NYC, and Boston - almost all over the US without major problems.

The craziest drivers are right here in my home state of Louisiana, centered around Baton Rouge and NOLA. I think it may be the Cajun influence.

Bay Area and Northern California drivers are on the opposite spectrum. Left lanes on the freeway here are the most popular campgrounds where completely oblivious and unpredictable drivers like to camp out at or below the speed limit, often in a white Tesla.
I can't not see white Teslas everywhere now!

I drive from Vegas a lot. There is only one stop I won’t make. I refuse to stop in Barstow-train station McDonald’s area… it is nasty. The drive is safe, no issues. I have had my car broken into at the Hampton inn by Toy Story parking lot.

I find a lot of desert towns to be a bit...icky. But we've still stopped in them to get gas or eat (daylight hours) and been okay.

Living in the heart of Silicon Valley, I had to count the number of Teslas I saw on the 2.5 miles from the grocery store to my home - 15 Teslas of varying colors including white.
Another Silicon Valley resident here. When Teslas first came out and were a novelty, I used to point them out when a friend visited from Napa. Within a year or so, she told me to stop doing that. 😁

We've done that drive a hundred times. When driving north on I-5, we like to stop at Hot City BBQ in Los Banos. It is just past the half way point and the food is fantastic (warning, it is only open on Friday - Sunday). Driving down, we tend to take 99 over I-5. There are more towns for gas and bathroom breaks. That said, if either route has construction, we take the other.
If you are going to Disneyland if you stop through Los Banos you can go to the left side of the freeway because when you are departing Los Banos you will see a right freeway exit and a left freeway exit. The right freeway exit leads to Santa Nella Tracy Stockton Sacramento/Truckee/Reno/Carson City NV and the left freeway exit goes to Los Angeles and I know about these freeway exits because when we drove with my great-aunt to take her to Texas we used that freeway exit and when my family drove to Disneyland we also used that same freeway exit to go to Disneyland and it's a pretty useful drive if you go to Disneyland or Los Angeles through that route
Dodger

Another Silicon Valley resident here. When Teslas first came out and were a novelty, I used to point them out when a friend visited from Napa. Within a year or so, she told me to stop doing that. 😁
Teslas are the Prius of the late 2010s-early 2020s. And I say that as someone whose wife drove a Prius when they were at the height of their popularity.

Teslas are the Prius of the late 2010s-early 2020s. And I say that as someone whose wife drove a Prius when they were at the height of their popularity.

I drive a Prius. And I can make it from my home east of Sacramento to DLR without stopping for gas. That's 448 miles on one tank with about 15-30 miles left (depending on whether or not I have a headwind or tailwind lol). I don't think the run of the mill Tesla can do that. At least I know our friend's Tesla can't.

Nothing better than heading out and saying "Next stop....DISNEYLAND!!!"

I drive a Prius. And I can make it from my home east of Sacramento to DLR without stopping for gas. That's 448 miles on one tank with about 15-30 miles left (depending on whether or not I have a headwind or tailwind lol). I don't think the run of the mill Tesla can do that. At least I know our friend's Tesla can't.

Nothing better than heading out and saying "Next stop....DISNEYLAND!!!"
Yeah, she's now driving an Accord and wants to go back to a Prius. She only goes in 3 days a week to the office and it's only a 10 mile commute. An electric would work well for her but she's not a fan.

I rented a Tesla when I took a baseball trip with my brother to San Francisco and Oakland last summer. It was the same price as renting a sedan so we thought "why not"? It was a terrible decision. It's a great car. It drives well, it's enjoyable to drive it but the constant need to worry about how much charge was left and having to factor that into our plans made it not very worthwhile. We thought it would be easy just to plug in at the different places we went like Russian River Brewing that had a charger. Nope, too slow to give us enough of a charge for the time we spent there. Couldn't find one near the hotel we were staying at to recharge overnight. Had to stop off at an outdoor mall a few times and wait 30 minutes. It also only could top off at 88%. I'm sure it's a fantastic around town car but if you're putting miles on it or going beyond the city limits, it's a pain.

Yeah, she's now driving an Accord and wants to go back to a Prius. She only goes in 3 days a week to the office and it's only a 10 mile commute. An electric would work well for her but she's not a fan.

I rented a Tesla when I took a baseball trip with my brother to San Francisco and Oakland last summer. It was the same price as renting a sedan so we thought "why not"? It was a terrible decision. It's a great car. It drives well, it's enjoyable to drive it but the constant need to worry about how much charge was left and having to factor that into our plans made it not very worthwhile. We thought it would be easy just to plug in at the different places we went like Russian River Brewing that had a charger. Nope, too slow to give us enough of a charge for the time we spent there. Couldn't find one near the hotel we were staying at to recharge overnight. Had to stop off at an outdoor mall a few times and wait 30 minutes. It also only could top off at 88%. I'm sure it's a fantastic around town car but if you're putting miles on it or going beyond the city limits, it's a pain.

Yeah, our friend always says that charging doesn't really take that long, you don't have to fully charge, charging is everywhere etc etc. But when we get down to 'brass tacks' he does add 30-40 minutes to his journey (or more depending on distance). Sure, they can 'time it' to stop and get lunch somewhere or whatever, but as far as driving to DLR the fact remains that we'd be through the turnstiles before he'd even be pulling into the parking lot lol. Even towing our travel trailer (we tow to WDW) @ 10 mpg we'd get to our destination first because it only takes us 10 mins to gas up (we have it down to a science, including walking the dog!).

Until they can get a 'standard' Tesla with a guaranteed 500-600 mile capacity, I'm not interested.

Yeah, our friend always says that charging doesn't really take that long, you don't have to fully charge, charging is everywhere etc etc. But when we get down to 'brass tacks' he does add 30-40 minutes to his journey (or more depending on distance).
I see this a lot, and for a lot of people it's a big deal. If someone is doing long road trips 6-12 times a year then it is indeed a huge deal. But for someone who mainly drives to work and back and only exceeds the typical range of an EV maybe 1-2 times a year, on the whole they save a whole lot more time by having an EV (if they can charge at home). The EV driver might lose 30 minutes on those long road trips 1-2 times a year, but they make it back 2-3x in never having to go to a gas station during the entire rest of the year, never having to do oil changes or most other scheduled maintenance, etc. My EV has ~250 miles of range, and it is mildly inconvenient to have to extend charging stops to 30 minutes, but my wife spends wayyyyy more of her life caring for her gas-powered car than I do with my EV.

We have a hybrid. Great car but awfully complex to build. Eventually people will buy EVs because they are cheaper and charging stations will be everywhere

We're going to be driving down from Vancouver BC in August in our BLACK Tesla :rotfl2: BC drivers can be horrendous, WA state drivers are even worse. Not really concerned with the drive down, like others said we just need to be aware of our surroundings and be careful when leaving the car that we don't leave our stuff in it. While we've driven in the LA and San Diego areas numerous times, it's been in rental cars for the past few years. We haven't made the drive down all the way in our car since 2013 so it's going to be an interesting trip to say the least :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter