The Updated and All-Inclusive Costume Thread

Question about rain-proofing… I’ve got an 11x17” printed piece of paper spray-adhesived to a piece of cardboard and the whole thing will be attached to my torso. What’s my best bet for protecting it in a rainy race? I’m torn between using strips of packing tap to cover the paper vs. laying a sheet of cling wrap over it and taping that to the back. Am I missing a 3rd better option? Are all of these likely to cause flash flare from PP cameras in the dark?

Question about rain-proofing… I’ve got an 11x17” printed piece of paper spray-adhesived to a piece of cardboard and the whole thing will be attached to my torso. What’s my best bet for protecting it in a rainy race? I’m torn between using strips of packing tap to cover the paper vs. laying a sheet of cling wrap over it and taping that to the back. Am I missing a 3rd better option? Are all of these likely to cause flash flare from PP cameras in the dark?
I would definitely worry about glare with packing tape or cling wrap. You could try an acrylic matte varnish. But do a test piece to make sure it won’t ruin your prop

Does anyone know how well sticky felt stays on a shirt during half and full marathons? I think one my shirts is polyester and one is a probably a poly/cotton blend. Obviously I should have tried this out during a long run, but I procrastinated and now I'm tapering, so...

Does anyone know how well sticky felt stays on a shirt during half and full marathons? I think one my shirts is polyester and one is a probably a poly/cotton blend. Obviously I should have tried this out during a long run, but I procrastinated and now I'm tapering, so...
I used it for my 10k in April and I don’t remember if we tacked the edges on with thread or not but it lasted through the race and a washing

Do you have needle and thread? A few hands stitches will help. I’ve never used sticky felt so no idea its stickiness.

Is it too late to use one of these plastic cardboard instead of a compostable one?

I have seen people with their bib placed in a plastic sleeve but do not know how their pictures turn out. Can you test the plastic bag solution before? The one they provided at the expo (for shopping) were not too shiny.

How long do you want your prop to last? Is your costume still ok if you abandon it along the way?

Is it too late to use one of these plastic cardboard instead of a compostable one?

I have seen people with their bib placed in a plastic sleeve but do not know how their pictures turn out. Can you test the plastic bag solution before? The one they provided at the expo (for shopping) were not too shiny.

How long do you want your prop to last? Is your costume still ok if you abandon it along the way?
I can test some options on another piece of paper-covered cardboard - the original is done and can’t be replicated a 2nd time. I think cling wrap secured by tape might be the way to go, but I have a bunch of old rD gear bags - that’s worth exploring!

I need the thing to last until Norway of the 10K… so basically the whole race lol! The rest of my costume won’t make any sense without the sign (it’s a Maelstrom FastPass.)

I can test some options on another piece of paper-covered cardboard - the original is done and can’t be replicated a 2nd time. I think cling wrap secured by tape might be the way to go, but I have a bunch of old rD gear bags - that’s worth exploring!

I need the thing to last until Norway of the 10K… so basically the whole race lol! The rest of my costume won’t make any sense without the sign (it’s a Maelstrom FastPass.)
Does your library or local office store have a laminator??

I have one at work, but the cardboard I used is too thick to go through the machine.
I wonder if a home vacuum sealer would work? I have one I make smores kits with and you can cut the bag to any size you need, seal three ends and then vac seal the other. It's almost like laminating and you can seal pretty bulky items (like marshmallows).

I wonder if a home vacuum sealer would work? I have one I make smores kits with and you can cut the bag to any size you need, seal three ends and then vac seal the other. It's almost like laminating and you can seal pretty bulky items (like marshmallows).
This is brilliance - thank you! I’ll have to take a look.

Clear contact paper / clear shelf paper liner? Might still have an issue for photos though

Do you have needle and thread? A few hands stitches will help. I’ve never used sticky felt so no idea its stickiness.
I do but I just hand stitched buttons on my 5k shirt last night and the thread is really uncomfortable against my skin to the point that I’m going to have to wear another shirt underneath. Trying to avoid that for the longer distances so I eas thinking of using sticky felt instead.

I can’t believe I never thought of clear contact paper! Just ordered some for overnight delivery and I can bring the roll with me as a just-in-case backup. Thanks all!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter