Swan & Dolphin Weddings FAQ

Hello,
I feel like I keep asking silly questions, but I need to ask questions to clarify what I want from our wedding.

My fiancé and I were hoping to have a brunch wedding, however I'm still a little unsure about it. Here's what I'm thinking, please let me know if any of it is possible and how much it might cost us?

We'd like to have a ceremony at S&D with our own officiant and approximately 50 guests (our wedding isn't until Oct 2015 so exact numbers aren't known). Directly after the ceremony we'd like to offer breakfast foods and drinks and mimosa for a cocktail hour.

Then we intend on going our own way for a few hours until dinner...here we will have a dinner with all of our guests, ideally someplace where we can dance and have a reception...centerpieces, favours, speeches, first dances.

I'm not sure whether to do this in a ballroom or a restaurant and then just go to a bar (Jellyrolls) afterwards, or even have a dessert party.

I just know that I want us to be able to have our first dance and do some DIY decor. :)

We aren't super wealthy so we're trying to think of the best pricing too. I don't know if it would be easier for us to book through DFTW?! HELP!

:dance3:
We ruled out the ballrooms because they were so pricey and just not worth it to us. We paid for Garden Grove (free characters!) as we loved the location and it was reasonably priced. After, we went to Atlantic Dance Hall (no cover charge!) and partied it up. It was a great compromise - we still got our "traditional" reception in a very non-traditional way. :thumbsup2

You can have some table DIY decor at a restaurant but most decor in public spaces (aside from ceremony) won't be allowed.

Hello! My name is Katie. While researching Disney wedding alternatives, I came across Swan and Dolphin weddings. After reading some awesome wedding trip reports here and watching beautiful videos of Swan weddings and vow renewals, my fiance and I are pretty excited about the possibility of a Swan wedding! :banana:

We are still early in the planning process as we are looking at an early 2016 wedding, but I look forward to hearing more about everyone else's plans and soaking up your wisdom! :worship:

Hello! My name is Katie. While researching Disney wedding alternatives, I came across Swan and Dolphin weddings. After reading some awesome wedding trip reports here and watching beautiful videos of Swan weddings and vow renewals, my fiance and I are pretty excited about the possibility of a Swan wedding! :banana:

We are still early in the planning process as we are looking at an early 2016 wedding, but I look forward to hearing more about everyone else's plans and soaking up your wisdom! :worship:
Welcome Katie!! :thumbsup2

Hello all,
I was originally looking at DFTW, but kind of ruled it out after the price change recently and started thinking local again. But my mind constantly wandered back to WDW. After seeing the prices of a S&D wedding in the Passporters book and that there is NO LIMIT to the number of guests, I started to think maybe WDW could be an option again through S&D.

We've never been huge fans of the look of the S&D, but I'm wondering if it is possible to request the photographer to try to crop out the buildings as much as possible from pictures.

Can we still take pictures around other WDW resorts? Or at least Boardwalk/Yacht/Beach?

Also, I read that someone went to Atlantic Dance Hall afterward. Were you able to wear your wedding dress with no problems? What if we wanted to go to Jellyrolls? Could I wear my wedding dress there?

If I have a S&D wedding ceremony, can I wear my wedding dress to an EPCOT desert party?

Thanks everyone :3dglasses

Hello all, I was originally looking at DFTW, but kind of ruled it out after the price change recently and started thinking local again. But my mind constantly wandered back to WDW. After seeing the prices of a S&D wedding in the Passporters book and that there is NO LIMIT to the number of guests, I started to think maybe WDW could be an option again through S&D. We've never been huge fans of the look of the S&D, but I'm wondering if it is possible to request the photographer to try to crop out the buildings as much as possible from pictures. Can we still take pictures around other WDW resorts? Or at least Boardwalk/Yacht/Beach? Also, I read that someone went to Atlantic Dance Hall afterward. Were you able to wear your wedding dress with no problems? What if we wanted to go to Jellyrolls? Could I wear my wedding dress there? If I have a S&D wedding ceremony, can I wear my wedding dress to an EPCOT desert party? Thanks everyone :3dglasses

Hello! We are getting married at The Swan in October. If your wedding site is Crescent Terrace, the boardwalk and river way will be the back drop to your photos. Our Just Marry consultant, Diane, has been great to work with. She informed us that we could take pictures at any resort, we don't even have to take any at the s/d. I agree with you and don't like the look of those hotels. Instead of a formal reception, we are having a dessert party at Epcot, and bc we aren't going through DFTW, I can't wear my dress in. I have heard you can wear your dress at a Grand Floridian dessert party. Hope this helps!

Also, I read that someone went to Atlantic Dance Hall afterward. Were you able to wear your wedding dress with no problems? What if we wanted to go to Jellyrolls? Could I wear my wedding dress there?

If I have a S&D wedding ceremony, can I wear my wedding dress to an EPCOT desert party?

You can wear your dress anywhere on Disney property except inside the theme parks. :thumbsup2

Hello all,
I was originally looking at DFTW, but kind of ruled it out after the price change recently and started thinking local again. But my mind constantly wandered back to WDW. After seeing the prices of a S&D wedding in the Passporters book and that there is NO LIMIT to the number of guests, I started to think maybe WDW could be an option again through S&D.

We've never been huge fans of the look of the S&D, but I'm wondering if it is possible to request the photographer to try to crop out the buildings as much as possible from pictures.

Can we still take pictures around other WDW resorts? Or at least Boardwalk/Yacht/Beach?

Thanks everyone :3dglasses

The Beach Club and Yacht Club are just a stones throw away-you could take pictures over there. You could also have your ceremony at the Swan and have your reception at another WDW resort and plan to take photos over there. OR if you are staying at another WDW resort, have your photographer meet you there first for getting ready and first look photos.

You cannot wear your wedding dress to an Epcot Dessert Party, but you can wear it at a Grand Floridian Wishes Dessert Party.

Sorry if this is redundant, but I want to be sure...

I understand that we (Brides with offsite ceremonies) can wear our wedding dress on WDW property and have our photographer take pictures at our WDW resort or prior to a WDW dining reservation or firework cruise. However, do we need to notify WDW or DFTW if we plan to do so? Like pay a photography fee or sign some type of waiver. Thanks!

Nope! No need to get permission. The only place they prohibit you from wearing your gown is inside the parks. :thumbsup2

Sorry if this is redundant, but I want to be sure...

I understand that we (Brides with offsite ceremonies) can wear our wedding dress on WDW property and have our photographer take pictures at our WDW resort or prior to a WDW dining reservation or firework cruise. However, do we need to notify WDW or DFTW if we plan to do so? Like pay a photography fee or sign some type of waiver. Thanks!

The only time I've ever heard of any issues is if you happen to be taking pictures at a WDW resort at the same time as a DFTW bride. I've heard that DFTW brides will take priority & you might need to wait your turn if you are taking pics in the same locations. Not sure if this is 100% true, but it's something I've heard.

This has all been great information! While we are not officially engaged yet, my boyfriend and I are looking into venues for a 2015 wedding. At this time, the Swan is my top choice! I requested to join the Swalphin facebook page because I would love to see more pictures and read more from people currently planning weddings at the Swan/Dolphin. I want to get a head start because we are not planning a very long engagement.

This has all been great information! While we are not officially engaged yet, my boyfriend and I are looking into venues for a 2015 wedding. At this time, the Swan is my top choice! I requested to join the Swalphin facebook page because I would love to see more pictures and read more from people currently planning weddings at the Swan/Dolphin. I want to get a head start because we are not planning a very long engagement.

Welcome! Feel free to ask any questions you might have here too.

Thank you so much! Most of my family is in Missouri and all his Family is in Pittsburgh, so we figured a destination wedding would be perfect for us since lots of people would have to travel anyway. Plus its Disney!

That was one of our reasons for choosing Disney too. We're in Montana, and the rest of our family are in coastal states. We figured traveling to Florida was better than making everyone come to the middle of nowhere. But truthfully, we probably would have found just about any justification to have it at Disney.

Hi!

Has anyone who has or is doing a SD ceremony been able to arrange a room block or blocks at WDW resorts? I know you have to do that if going through DFTW, but what if we wanted to give our guests the opportunity to reserve a WDW room at a discount? Can anyone just arrange a room block like you would for any other wedding for guests coming in from out of town?

Thank you!

We didn't bother either-free dining was offered during our wedding. Also, many of our guests ended up staying at the Swan & Dolphin & their rates are far superior to WDW resorts for deluxe amenities and fabulous location.

Many of our guests ended up staying at the Dolphin too. It's worth noting that the Swan and Dolphin room blocks are tailored more toward corporate conventions than weddings. They require a minimum of 10 rooms per night that you block, and you have to pay 25% of EVERY room you block in advance. You're also on the hook for the balance if you don't fill all of the rooms you block.

Many of our guests ended up staying at the Dolphin too. It's worth noting that the Swan and Dolphin room blocks are tailored more toward corporate conventions than weddings. They require a minimum of 10 rooms per night that you block, and you have to pay 25% of EVERY room you block in advance. You're also on the hook for the balance if you don't fill all of the rooms you block.

Both our planner and our catering coordinator swayed us away from doing Swan/Dolphin room blocks. They said the general public discounts are way better & they were absolutely right, for the time of year we got married there.

I LOVED our Swan room we had for two nights before our wedding! They complimentary upgraded both my DH & I's room & my parents' room to suites & we had an enormous balcony that wrapped all the way around with gorgeous views!:goodvibes They also gave us an additional bridal suite to get ready in on the morning of our wedding (my DH & groomsmen ended up using that, while us ladies got ready in my room).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter