Soda questions

regardless of the method you use to fill your cup, the general idea is
* there *IS* diet coke on the ship at the fountain.
* You *can* get some in your own cup (I will leave the debate open as to how you transport the liquid from dispenser to cup).
* Unlike the resorts (thank goodness!) it is not *yet* limited to one cup every 5 minutes (if they ever do that, they will find an angry passenger right here).
* It is slightly inconvenient to go all the way to Deck 11 for your diet coke, so you are advised to bring a larger container and transport more than a 4 oz cup of diet coke to your room at a time.

Hope this helps!

Another question:

If we bring bottles of water or cans of soda for the rooms, do they have to stay in their own packaging? Like do the cans have to stay in the cardboard box until we get to the room, or can we unload the 12 cans into a backpack and carry it that way?

Minimizing the spread of germs on a cruise ship is NOT silly.

Truth. Until you've been on a locked down ship because some jerk didn't wash their hands after wiping their backside, then proceeded to pass along their filth, you'll think it's silly. Then you'll realize why they ask that you not be that jerk.

1) how is the flavor of the Diet Coke in the fountains?

I've never found the Diet Coke from the drink station fountains on the Fantasy to taste normal. It always has had a very funny taste to me. I've never noticed a problem in the main dining rooms. I've only been on the Dream once and didn't notice a problem, but that was a few weeks after inaugural launch. I can't speak for Diet Coke on the Wonder or Magic.

Another question:

If we bring bottles of water or cans of soda for the rooms, do they have to stay in their own packaging? Like do the cans have to stay in the cardboard box until we get to the room, or can we unload the 12 cans into a backpack and carry it that way?

It needs to remain sealed in the factory packaging -- but that would mean the actual individual bottle or can, not the cardboard box or six-pack rings. You may carry as many (or as few) individual cans of soda and/or bottles of water onboard as you wish. Just make sure it's in your carry-on.

Enjoy your cruise!

It needs to remain sealed in the factory packaging -- but that would mean the actual individual bottle or can, not the cardboard box or six-pack rings. You may carry as many (or as few) individual cans of soda and/or bottles of water onboard as you wish. Just make sure it's in your carry-on.

Enjoy your cruise!

That's where I was going with that. I can't fit the solid box in my backpack, but I can stack the cans/bottles in there. It's easier to carry that way should we decide to get some. Thanks!

It is very wasteful to use that many cups. Some cruise lines put plastic washable cups at drink stations. They still want you to use a fresh cup each time, but it does seem like it's a little more environmentally friendly.

For personal reuse or general reuse? Where are you suppose to wash the cups and do they provide dish washing detergent? My issue is that some people think a quick "rinse" is a thorough "wash" and it's "good enough." YUCK! You have not killed the germs that can make you sick. Unfortunately, when it comes to preventing the spread of infections, you will encounter some waste :worried:

It is very wasteful to use that many cups. Some cruise lines put plastic washable cups at drink stations. They still want you to use a fresh cup each time, but it does seem like it's a little more environmentally friendly.

Disney recycles their paper waste. It would seem to be more environmentally friendly to recycle paper than to use chemicals to wash plastic things.

Sorry, but it isn't. There are signs around the soda fountains saying not to use your own cups. It is a hygiene issue. You are supposed to use a fresh cup each time, not refill cups. So use a clean cup and fill it a couple of times to pour into your bigger cups. The paper cup is clean, with no germs on the lip and no backwash to transfer or splash back on the dispenser.
Wait, aren't you suppose to use a fresh cup each time, not reuse the same cup "a couple of times"???

As seen in this photo there is nothing for the cup to touch. Where is this? And am I the only one that never lets any cup touch the lever but uses my hand?
As noted, people can (and do) place their cups all the way up against the spigot opening, before pressing the "press" button. Yes, technically, there's no place the cup touches the dispenser while being filled, but, it does happen. As well as the fact that, often, the soda will splash when the cup is full and that splash will contaminate the spigot.

That particular picture was mine. It was taken on the Wonder in 2012.

Wait, aren't you suppose to use a fresh cup each time, not reuse the same cup "a couple of times"???
Yes
dream 2016 no personal cups sign (Bishoparc).jpg deam 2014 fresh cup sign 15124 P1020553 1500.jpg

Disney recycles their paper waste. It would seem to be more environmentally friendly to recycle paper than to use chemicals to wash plastic things.
I'm not an environmentalist so you may be right. It just seems like a lot of trash.

For personal reuse or general reuse? Where are you suppose to wash the cups and do they provide dish washing detergent? My issue is that some people think a quick "rinse" is a thorough "wash" and it's "good enough." YUCK! You have not killed the germs that can make you sick. Unfortunately, when it comes to preventing the spread of infections, you will encounter some waste :worried:
The ships dishwashers wash the cups:confused3

I am a soda addict - love my Diet Coke. But, the fountain Diet Coke on the cruise ships do not taste the same to me as on land :( Not sure why, maybe it's a different type of water used or it is all in my mind. Instead I stick to iced tea on the cruise ships and go back to my soda on land.

I am a soda addict - love my Diet Coke. But, the fountain Diet Coke on the cruise ships do not taste the same to me as on land :( Not sure why, maybe it's a different type of water used or it is all in my mind. Instead I stick to iced tea on the cruise ships and go back to my soda on land.
It's more likely the syrup to soda water ratio that varies. Since it's mixed onboard, it's often different than what you can get in cans/bottles. Same with the regular coke.

This! We had to notify one of the CMs that the syrup on the sprite was out as all we were getting was seltzer :crazy2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter