So much Disney food is terrible

I actually felt like the 11 pages were largely measured responses, especially considering the clickbait-y opening post and continued antagonizing by a few.

OP seemed to get far more measured as the discussion went on. If you use absolutes to complain (even if you’re venting), people will generally not find it overly valid or enjoyable.

My husband used to be the head pastry chef for the whole soho house group and he used to steal ideas/recepies all the time and put them on there for all the celebs / wannabes.

A copy version of the desert from liberty tree tavern was on the menu for years. Probably still is.

I bet all the rich idiots who pay for soho house membership would turn their nose up at Disney food if they knew hahaha.

Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Food is subjective, to a degree. You may like limp unsalted crinkle cut frozen fries. Your opinion isn’t wrong, but it’s the minority view among foodies for sure. The better way to look at it is “why am I wasting my time in a thread defending Disney’s food?” It’s probably because you love Disney and want to defend it, more so than you just love Disney food and want to profess your love to the world. There were a lot of absolutely disrespectful comments to the OP for just wanting to vent about food.
I don't ever remember mentioning fries at all so that is out of left field. I haven't defended Disney food either. I have stated that I think there is a lot of good food at Disney. Food is a big part of our Disney experience and we look forward to the places we like and sprinkling in new places and maybe they will become a favorite of ours too. Take a breath....you are a little dramatic with your "profess your love to the world" when I really said was that "I think there is a lot of good food at Disney".

Except the dining plan = cost constraints for the chefs. Before the Dining Plan, chefs were less constrained. WDW streamlined to make the plan feasible.

There is no reason to interpret that reality as a complaint against WDW's customers. The chefs have to keep food costs in budget.🤷‍♂️
I think the streamline was more for increasing profits in general, rather than allowing for the DDP to be profitable. It has not been a slam dunk for purchasers for years. i think that Disney changes how they order food and unless the restaurants were signature dining venues, many of the same cutes of proteins were ordered across the board,. I think it was disney greed.

OP here - I specifically didn’t say it was all terrible, because I don’t think that. If you’re staying at a resort, though, it is frustrating that the food options really aren’t that good if you want a quick meal versus a table service meal at a signature restaurant.

It is just my opinion that the food doesn’t taste that good - folks (not you) have taken this very personally. throughout this thread people have implied or stated that I’m frugal, conversely that I’m a snob, have no taste, lack basic travel skills, and, most recently, that I would assault a two year old. I’m conviction free and have travelled extensively in Canada, the US, Asia, and Europe and did a brief foray into Africa. I’ve also been to Disney many times. I know there are videos and hacks, and think your tip about snacks is a good one. However, I also think it proves my point a bit - if you need to do all that research in order to ensure you’re going to get good food, good food is the exception not the norm.
Next time try staying at Riveria, or a resort on the skyliner and use that to eat at the quick service at the Riveria. It is by far the best quick service food we have had on property. Their lemon blueberry pancakes and croque madame were both excellent! For sit down breakfasts Ale & Compass at Yacht Club is wonderful and a good value (highly underrated as well), and my last one to recommend is Steakhouse 71 at Contemporary, one of the best breakfasts we have had on property. I do agree that other resorts need to up their game and offer better quick service options beyond just the normal Mickey Waffles. Hopefully they do!

Hope you find more things to your liking in the future!

OP here - I specifically didn’t say it was all terrible, because I don’t think that. If you’re staying at a resort, though, it is frustrating that the food options really aren’t that good if you want a quick meal versus a table service meal at a signature restaurant.

It is just my opinion that the food doesn’t taste that good - folks (not you) have taken this very personally. throughout this thread people have implied or stated that I’m frugal, conversely that I’m a snob, have no taste, lack basic travel skills, and, most recently, that I would assault a two year old. I’m conviction free and have travelled extensively in Canada, the US, Asia, and Europe and did a brief foray into Africa. I’ve also been to Disney many times. I know there are videos and hacks, and think your tip about snacks is a good one. However, I also think it proves my point a bit - if you need to do all that research in order to ensure you’re going to get good food, good food is the exception not the norm.
I can't see that take out would be any better. Are you going to eat coldish food in your room and then leave the bags in the hallway which seems to be more and more of the norm these days

I can't see that take out would be any better. Are you going to eat coldish food in your room and then leave the bags in the hallway which seems to be more and more of the norm these days

If you order delivery food from relatively close, it usually doesn’t get cold. I like to leave the bags from the pricey restaurants I eat at in the hallway to assert my dominance over the peasants and the people who park their ECV’s there.

With the daily trash pickups that come with their 'inspections', there's not really a need to leave bags and boxes outside in the hall anymore. One nice perk of the invasion of privacy!

And a lot of the comments in the thread came across as whiney, complaining, and hyperbolic …

The OP acknowledged throughout the thread that her focus is more on the lack of value for her perceived quality of the food. Something tells me if she had said, “A lot of the food that we’ve tried we just don’t see the value for the expense. I know this varies by person, but where have you seen the best value?”, the thread is completely different.

Usually makes for an easy target to comment when it’s perceived as a complaint thread , especially when people are gathered on a website primarily because of their passion for Disney.
I’m not actually looking for recommendations on value options - although it’s very nice that people are volunteering them. My main complaint/vent is that most of the quick service options I ate were not good. I like Disney, but am getting tired of the crap food options being the norm at quick service.

The Polynesian should improve its quick service options (and I assume if I’m complaining about the poly and WL, many other resorts also have crap quick service).

Next time try staying at Riveria, or a resort on the skyliner and use that to eat at the quick service at the Riveria. It is by far the best quick service food we have had on property. Their lemon blueberry pancakes and croque madame were both excellent! For sit down breakfasts Ale & Compass at Yacht Club is wonderful and a good value (highly underrated as well), and my last one to recommend is Steakhouse 71 at Contemporary, one of the best breakfasts we have had on property. I do agree that other resorts need to up their game and offer better quick service options beyond just the normal Mickey Waffles. Hopefully they do!

Hope you find more things to your liking in the future!
Heading to Europe in the summer - looking forward to good food :)

Heading to Europe in the summer - looking forward to good food :)
We went to Paris last August, food there was AMAZING!!! Bonus, I was never bloated and lost 8 pounds in 5 days all while eating every pastry in sight. There are chemicals they allow here that are banned there that make ALL the difference. Wish our government would get on board to help make food here better!

Actually, for some odd reason, deluxe resorts seem to have the worse QS than many moderates and values.
Disagree.

Primo Piatto and Gasparilla are widely known as the best resort quick services on property. Geyser Point also kind of counts and is very well regarded.

All the value QS are basically the same now (not good), with slight exception for AA, and even they’ve dropped off since removing make your own pasta.

Disagree.

Primo Piatto and Gasparilla are widely known as the best resort quick services on property. Geyser Point also kind of counts and is very well regarded.

All the value QS are basically the same now (not good), with slight exception for AA, and even they’ve dropped off since removing make your own pasta.
Actually very much agree with Primo but have not been to Gasparilla in a decade or more so not sure and not sure we can put GP in the easy and quick QS category. So still pretty lean on the quality at deluxes, IMHO.

The moderates used to have tons of choices and decent quality but they seem to have gone down a bit too. In another plus for Riviera, you can walk over to CB which has a lot of choices and was very good, last year anyway.

Primo Piatto had the worst hamburger bun in existence.
I would never get a burger there with all their tasty Mediterranean inspired choices.

But speaking of burgers, there was a time, just before covid I think, where they were really trying to serve a better burger at all the QS's. I remember it being a bit thicker and juicer and much better then they used to be. Why are we back to dry and tasteless?

I would never get a burger there with all their tasty Mediterranean inspired choices.

But speaking of burgers, there was a time, just before covid I think, where they were really trying to serve a better burger at all the QS's. I remember it being a bit thicker and juicer and much better then they used to be. Why are we back to dry and tasteless?
I got the vegetable skewer and that was great but DH got the burger. I felt bad for him.

I guess the OP not posting in the first place was an option also and you not commenting was an option too. Everyone can voice an opinion as long as it is in line with the rules of the board.
Yes, that is true.

Forgive me, I thought your posts were expressing a desire for this thread to be more positive and constructive. For my part, I have tried to do that, because the topic interests me. There are many fun ways WDW food could be better, and it is enjoyable to consider those possibilities.

It is also enjoyable to hear people talk about food options they have enjoyed. Maybe there's a WDW food I haven't tried before. So what are your favorite WDW foods?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter