Sisters’ Trip Including Mandara Spa at PBH, June 2023 ~ Complete

wdwrule

DIS Veteran
Hello and welcome! During this trip, which took place from June 13-17, it was just myself and my sister who is just a few years older than me. Every now and then we get together for a little trip; not often as we already live within 30 miles of each other, but it’s so nice to do. It’s good to have some sister bonding time. 😃

We stayed in a deluxe room at Aventura which is my favorite room because of the awesome views and room space. AP discount is wonderful in this resort. I forget the exact amount, but I know it wasn’t more than $170 per night. My sister loves modern decor so she was really in love with this resort once she encountered it.

Some of our highlights that I will include are the spa, dueling pianos at Pat O’Briens and the monorail crawl at Disney one evening. I figured I’d include the Mandara Spa since I haven’t found many reviews of it. Oh, and we happened to be there during the soft opening of Minions Land!! More to come but in the meantime, here is a pic of our room view:

IMG_0011.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello and welcome! During this trip, which took place from June 13-17, it was just myself and my sister who is just a few years older than me. Every now and then we get together for a little trip; not often as we already live within 30 miles of each other, but it’s so nice to do. It’s good to have some sister bonding time. 😃
Sister bonding time is wonderful. My younger sister came along for HHN with me last year. Having sister time on vacation is awesome. No matter how close you live to each other when you are on vacation you can just let your hair down and enjoy yourselves.

Your room looks like it is on angle and the floor to ceiling windows really bring in the light and the views.

I look forward to reading more about your trip report with your sister and your take on the new Minion area.

Sister bonding time is wonderful. My younger sister came along for HHN with me last year. Having sister time on vacation is awesome. No matter how close you live to each other when you are on vacation you can just let your hair down and enjoy yourselves.

Your room looks like it is on angle and the floor to ceiling windows really bring in the light and the views.

I look forward to reading more about your trip report with your sister and your take on the new Minion area.
Yes it was a very special time indeed with sister bonding time.

The deluxe room is an odd-shaped room but it feels very spacious. Haha sometimes I feel like it’s such a long walk to the bathroom. We keep coming back to this room for those glorious wall of windows. The views are magnificent! I love falling asleep to the changing colors of the volcano at Volcano Bay.

My sister loved this resort as well and we loved those amazing views from the enormous and continuous windows.
Here you can see the glowing purple Spaceship Earth in the distance and then later, the fireworks from Magic Kingdom.
IMG_9924.jpeg

IMG_9921.jpeg

As I mentioned above to Robo, we could also see the volcano changing colors at night. So peaceful!

Arrival day, we checked in early and they stowed our luggage while we had a great day at the parks. She had visited once before and that was a few years ago so it was so much fun showing her around.

We ate lunch at Thunder Falls which is one of my favorite quick service places. The food quality has always been excellent here and it’s usually fairly serene. We split the rice bowl and it was plenty. She loved it!

For dinner we ate at Cowfish which it had been awhile since I was there. Everything was great!

IMG_9916.jpeg
We each had a different bento box meal. The little slider was a bit dry but everything else was good.

After walking around Citywalk for awhile, we hit up Strong Water which is conveniently on the walk back to Aventura. I had the Carribean Sunset which has a little of everything in it and it is so refreshing and lightly sweet. My sister never had an old fashioned before and ordered their ‘rum old fashioned’. Let’s just say she was hooked on this drink for the rest of the trip. I tried it and it was pretty good. I do not care for traditional old fashioned drinks but this one was pretty good. Here’s a menu pic that describes this drink:
IMG_9920.jpeg
It was a good sipping drink. I liked my own drink a lot! Here’s a pic of both of them:
IMG_9917.jpeg
My second drink was gin-based which I really enjoy gin. It was a French 75 which is basically gin, champagne and some lemon juice.
IMG_9919.jpeg

Shortly after drinks and fun conversation, we headed to bed.

Next up, Universal in the morning and Disney Springs/monorail crawl in the early evening.

Whew! Side note… I saw that HHN will include Stranger Things and I think I’m the only one on the planet who hasn’t watched it yet! So lately, DD and I have been binge watching it and I’m almost halfway through season 2. Omg it’s so great!!! Wow so suspenseful and the questions in my head are like a whirlwind with predictions and wonderings. DD already saw all episodes but is re-watching it with me. 💕

Anyways, back to the trip report.

The next morning, my sister and I went right to Studios which is so peaceful in the mornings.

IMG_9927.jpeg

Ah, sweet Diagon Alley.

IMG_9930.jpeg

Then we were off to show my sis the new Tribute Store. This was very informative and fun.

IMG_9932.jpeg

IMG_9934.jpeg

IMG_9935.jpeg

IMG_9936.jpeg

IMG_9944.jpeg

IMG_9948.jpeg

This was so cool and I learned a lot about how the movie was filmed… (next post)

Last edited:
Then we visited some shops after having breakfast earlier at the Leaky Cauldron. Love those smaller portioned meals as kids meals!

IMG_9949.jpeg

IMG_9950.jpeg

IMG_9951.jpeg
Then we saw Marilyn herself:

IMG_9955.jpeg

After more rides and meandering around, we headed back to the hotel to freshen up and catch an Uber to Disney Springs where our ultimate goal was to have dinner at The Boathouse and then catch a bus to one of the monorail resorts for a little monorail crawl.

The Boathouse was very good! We stopped by Gideons afterwards to show my sister this awesome place and of course grab some delicious cookies.

IMG_9963.jpeg

I forget what our drinks were but I’m sure mine was most likely gin based and sister had an old fashioned. Refreshing!
We split a Cobb salad:
IMG_9968.jpeg

I had excellent cedar planked salmon:
IMG_9969.jpeg

And sister had some kind of fish tacos:
IMG_9970.jpeg
Everything was delectable and service was outstanding!

Afterwards we also looked around the Springs briefly. Love the giant Lego creations:
IMG_9959.jpeg

IMG_9960.jpeg

… (next post)

Another huge Lego creation in the Lego store:
IMG_9961.jpeg

These are so incredible and I always wonder how long these masterpieces took to create.

Then it was off to a bus for the first monorail resort that arrived.

It was the Contemporary bus.

I have to say, we were very surprised with the lack of air conditioning in some of the Disney Springs stores and also in some of the monorail resorts. Maybe it was just a fluke.

Oooops forgot to post Gideon’s pics:
IMG_9974.jpeg

Their cake slices are excellent too!
IMG_9975.jpeg

I just realized I don’t have many pics of the Contemporary visit, but again, it was a gin based drink which was good. Then we went to the Poly for a Lapu Lapu which is rum based and very refreshing! I couldn’t resist and also ordered the beloved bread pudding from the Tambou Lounge. Need something to absorb some of the alcohol right?!?!
IMG_9982.jpeg

IMG_9986.jpeg
Oh that bread pudding!! I’m not usually a bread pudding fan but this I could eat every day!! Warm caramel sauce, sweet vanilla ice cream and super moist bread pudding with tiny bits of pineapple in it. Oh yum!! It was huge and we had to let some go to waste unfortunately. If I only had more space, I would’ve eaten it all.

Then off to the Grand Floridian… at the Enchanted Rose bar.

IMG_9987.jpeg

This was wonderful and had a serene atmosphere.

Delicious drinks and truffle fries:
IMG_9990.jpeg

IMG_9994.jpeg

They were in the process of renovating the rooms which is always nice to see that places are trying to freshen up.
IMG_9995.jpeg

We had such a blast! It was very convenient hopping on and off the monorail right from the front door of each resort. We took an uber back to Aventura from the Grand Flo which we didn’t wait long at all. Needless to say, we fell right asleep. 😴

I would totally do this again. It’s an amazing time to experience each resort and its shops etc and to try out their drinks/food. So fun! One of my favorite shops at the GF, is Basin. I ended up getting some shower bombs for DD from there.

Next up, more Universal fun and massages at the Mandara Spa at Portofino.

Waking up, it was another beautiful day.
IMG_0010.jpeg
Off to the parks we went and had a blast.

We headed back to Aventura to freshen up prior to our massage appointments and then later took a bus to Citywalk from Aventura. From here, we picked up a bus to PBH. Looking back, we should’ve just went via boat because that would’ve been more efficient but the waits still weren’t bad at all.

PBH was our stay during our family’s first ever trip to Universal in August 2021. I fell in love with this resort and it’s still my #1. It’s absolutely stunning! You feel removed from the parks and in your own little world there.

My sister was in awe of this resort. It’s on a whole other level.

We then entered Mandara Spa after checking some parts of the resort out.

If you’re into massages and such, I highly recommend this spa. We had an excellent experience here.

IMG_0014.jpeg

Lol here’s the afterglow. They offered complimentary wine afterwards and we could use their amenities such as the hot tub and sauna for the rest of the day if we wished. They also had trail mix and coffee/tea/water. This whole experience was so peaceful and top notch. With the premiere AP discount, I also got 20% off which was fantastic.

Here’s a few pics from PBH.
IMG_0356.jpeg

IMG_0016.jpeg

IMG_0017.jpeg

We stopped into Thirsty Fish Bar and had some great drinks and service.

IMG_0021.jpeg

We then walked back to UO which wasn’t long at all… even after massages. We eventually ended up at Red Coconut Club which they were celebrating Pride. I love the vibe here and all the different theming seasonally.
IMG_0358.jpeg

IMG_0359.jpeg

One of the bartenders is Sean. He’s amazing. We met him initially at Christmas time when it was the “Red and Green Coconut Club”. He’s very personable and accommodating.
IMG_0022.jpeg

After this, we were spent and headed to bed.

Next up, early morning at Velocicoaster and then later in the evening, Pat O’Briens dueling pianos.

Loving your trip report! I sent this to my childhood friend (who’s like a sister to me 😉) who I will be traveling with this December. I hoped to convince her to do an afternoon at Disney springs and a few monorail resorts like you did and it worked! I think we will have a wonderful day at that ’other park’. It’s been so long since I’ve ventured that way, but can’t think of a better time than in December with all the Christmas decorations. I’m hitting MVMCP one night before she arrives as well. My children are grown now, but we used to go to Disney all the time when they were little. I am looking forward to reminiscing and hitting all of my old ride favorites.

Loving your trip report! I sent this to my childhood friend (who’s like a sister to me 😉) who I will be traveling with this December. I hoped to convince her to do an afternoon at Disney springs and a few monorail resorts like you did and it worked! I think we will have a wonderful day at that ’other park’. It’s been so long since I’ve ventured that way, but can’t think of a better time than in December with all the Christmas decorations. I’m hitting MVMCP one night before she arrives as well. My children are grown now, but we used to go to Disney all the time when they were little. I am looking forward to reminiscing and hitting all of my old ride favorites.
That’s wonderful!! You’re going to have an amazing time with your “sister”. Our kids are college aged and we used to go to Disney once per year… ahhh those wonderful memories 💕. We only discovered Universal 2 years ago and have been majorly hooked since.

I do like to squeak in a quick Disney fix now and then. The last two years, we’ve attended MVMCP to get that fix while staying at UO and it’s absolutely phenomenal at Disney with the festive decor at the different resorts and park. You’ll love it! Hopefully the Grand Flo lobby will be a little cleaned up by then.

UO is also amazing at Christmas time with holiday music and decorations. Such a fun time of year to visit!

I’m so glad your friend agreed to the monorail crawl etc because it’s a blast! Glad I could help. 😃

Whew!! It’s been way too long since I posted about this trip but very busy lately with school and college back in swing.

The next morning, we woke up and headed right to IoA during EE. We are not ones to get up at the crack of dawn and instead, usually enter the parks about halfway through EE. We zoomed to Velocicoaster and it barely had a wait 💕.
IMG_0026.jpeg

IMG_0029.jpeg

Later, we took the Hogwarts Express to Studios. I love taking this in the mornings before it gets busy.
IMG_0031.jpeg

Hee hee… I was sending these pics to my DD who was actually in London with some friends at the time to see Harry Styles in concert. Yep, she’s quite a fan! 🤣

He’s great to see in concert by the way… Very entertaining and talented. We saw him together in NYC.

Anyways, we hung out then in Diagon Alley and I finally sat and watched the 3 brothers story.
IMG_0051.jpeg

Nothing like watching while resting on a bench with a frozen butterbeer!! It was very well done. I also showed my sister around Knockturn Alley which she did not know existed. I love the vibes there!

Later in the afternoon, it looked like it was going to cut loose so we thought about having some drinks at Margaritaville before dinner. Glad we did! We made it in just before it started pouring. We sat on the porch and they had automated screens that lowered for rain protection.
IMG_0058.jpeg

Good plan! Great people watching and before you knew it, it cleared up. Momma had to get herself a Perfect Margarita! 😉😉

IMG_0053.jpeg

This is my favorite drink on property. It’s very strong but refreshing. It’s also not sweet. I have a huge sweet tooth, but when it’s hot out, I rarely crave a sweet drink (besides butterbeer of course).

We hung out for a long time and just chatted and enjoyed our drinks. :cloud9:

Later, we moved on to Pat O’Brien’s for dinner. This was an absolute hoot!! Wow! Such talent and a fun interactive time!

We ended up with a table front and center and needless to say, stayed for about 4+ hours! It was just so much fun! We laughed and laughed and sang along. They took requests and they took a lot of ours. We’re 80’s girls so quite a bit of 80’s music.

IMG_0060.jpeg

IMG_0681.jpeg

I highly recommend this to anyone for a good time. Lots of singing along to popular songs. Great food too!

It was a late night but we thought we’d end it at Strong Water for one more drink. We were a bit tired at this point so we decided to try for a boat. Wow! The boat lines were crazy!! They said they were sharing boats with resorts. That night SF was sharing with RPR. Maybe not enough boat captains? Anyways, we waited awhile and still no boat so we ended up walking back… right back to Aventura and in bed. At that point we were sadly too tired for Strong Water.

What a great day and evening though! So much fun!

Next up… departure day after some park time (including soft opening of Minion’s Cafe).

Lol here’s the afterglow. They offered complimentary wine afterwards and we could use their amenities such as the hot tub and sauna for the rest of the day if we wished. They also had trail mix and coffee/tea/water. This whole experience was so peaceful and top notch. With the premiere AP discount, I also got 20% off which was fantastic.

Enjoying you trip report.

I was looking forward to your take on Mandara Spa. Last time I used the Spa was about 3 years ago. It was in severe need of a make over at the time. The furnishings were showing a lot of wear and tear and were in need of replacing and the showers were leaking and tiles needed to be replaced.

The massage Therapists were awesome. I even had a facial which was fantastic. When I was paying at the end the lady at the desk started a very hard sell on the facial products that left me feeling a little uncomfortable.

I’am so glad to hear you and your sister had a good experience at the Spa.

Have they updated the decor?

Enjoying you trip report.

I was looking forward to your take on Mandara Spa. Last time I used the Spa was about 3 years ago. It was in severe need of a make over at the time. The furnishings were showing a lot of wear and tear and were in need of replacing and the showers were leaking and tiles needed to be replaced.

The massage Therapists were awesome. I even had a facial which was fantastic. When I was paying at the end the lady at the desk started a very hard sell on the facial products that left me feeling a little uncomfortable.

I’am so glad to hear you and your sister had a good experience at the Spa.

Have they updated the decor?
Thank you and yes, we were impressed with the spa. This was our only time visiting this spa so I’m not sure if they renovated since then. I felt like everything was clean and in excellent condition including the showers.

The lady at the desk did ask if we wanted any products but was not pushy at all. I do find that annoying at spa/salon places when that occurs (when they’re persistent). It takes away from the whole ‘relaxing experience’.

Your escapade from June 13-17 isn't just a standalone adventure; it's part of a heartwarming annual tradition you and your sister hold dear. Even though you both live so close, there's something truly special about these yearly getaways that bring a different kind of magic to your bond.

Settling into Aventura, and specifically choosing the deluxe room, seems to be like slipping into a familiar comfort zone that's unique to your sister trips. Those captivating views and the extra space serve as a canvas for the moments you both create together. The fact that you've navigated and enjoyed this accommodation before paints a picture of a tradition that's as cozy as it is exciting.

The sweet bonus of an AP discount carries with it the wisdom of experience – a little insider knowledge gained from past trips. This adds a layer of warmth to your adventure, making it feel like you're both in on a secret that only yearly travelers like you can truly appreciate.

It's fascinating how your sister's affinity for modern decor blends seamlessly with the aesthetics of Aventura. It's not just about the visual appeal; it's about how the ambiance aligns with her tastes. It's in these little harmonies that your sister trips truly shine – celebrating each other's preferences, quirks, and joys.

Now, the highlights you've carefully chosen – the serene Mandara Spa, the lively dueling pianos at Pat O'Briens, and the innovative monorail crawl at Disney – they read like pages from a shared journal of adventures. The Mandara Spa isn't just a one-time treat; it's a tradition that allows you both to unwind, recharge, and reconnect, year after year. The dueling pianos become an annual melody, a reminder of the moments you've shared in the midst of music and laughter.

And the monorail crawl, well, that's the stuff of legends, isn't it? It's a tale that evolves with each passing year, as you discover new corners of the Disney world together. It's a reminder that even within the safety of a tradition, there's always room for fresh explorations and discoveries.

The soft opening of Minions Land adds a touch of serendipity to your story. It's like the universe aligning to give you a little extra sprinkle of joy during a trip that's already brimming with happiness. The shared surprise of experiencing something new within the familiar framework of your sister trips is a true gem.

That snapshot you've shared, showcasing your room view, is more than just a picture; it's a visual bookmark in the story of your annual adventures. It's a snapshot of the moments you've lived, the laughter you've shared, and the vistas that have witnessed your sisterly bond grow stronger with each passing year.

Ultimately, your sister trip isn't just about the travels themselves; it's about the bond that these trips nurture and celebrate. It's about the stories, the laughter, the shared joys, and the unspoken understanding that only siblings can have. Here's to the continuation of this beautiful tradition, and to the heartfelt connection that makes it all so magical! 🌟

Great fun report . Looking forward to your Minions Cafe even tho I have already visited!
I love Universal.
Did they give you a pin with parrot on it at MargaritaVille?

Loved your trip report. I was interested because my grown daughter and I have been talking about a girl trip to Universal. It sounds like you two had a wonderful trip, and I can't wait to plan our trip too:)

Your escapade from June 13-17 isn't just a standalone adventure; it's part of a heartwarming annual tradition you and your sister hold dear. Even though you both live so close, there's something truly special about these yearly getaways that bring a different kind of magic to your bond.

Settling into Aventura, and specifically choosing the deluxe room, seems to be like slipping into a familiar comfort zone that's unique to your sister trips. Those captivating views and the extra space serve as a canvas for the moments you both create together. The fact that you've navigated and enjoyed this accommodation before paints a picture of a tradition that's as cozy as it is exciting.

The sweet bonus of an AP discount carries with it the wisdom of experience – a little insider knowledge gained from past trips. This adds a layer of warmth to your adventure, making it feel like you're both in on a secret that only yearly travelers like you can truly appreciate.

It's fascinating how your sister's affinity for modern decor blends seamlessly with the aesthetics of Aventura. It's not just about the visual appeal; it's about how the ambiance aligns with her tastes. It's in these little harmonies that your sister trips truly shine – celebrating each other's preferences, quirks, and joys.

Now, the highlights you've carefully chosen – the serene Mandara Spa, the lively dueling pianos at Pat O'Briens, and the innovative monorail crawl at Disney – they read like pages from a shared journal of adventures. The Mandara Spa isn't just a one-time treat; it's a tradition that allows you both to unwind, recharge, and reconnect, year after year. The dueling pianos become an annual melody, a reminder of the moments you've shared in the midst of music and laughter.

And the monorail crawl, well, that's the stuff of legends, isn't it? It's a tale that evolves with each passing year, as you discover new corners of the Disney world together. It's a reminder that even within the safety of a tradition, there's always room for fresh explorations and discoveries.

The soft opening of Minions Land adds a touch of serendipity to your story. It's like the universe aligning to give you a little extra sprinkle of joy during a trip that's already brimming with happiness. The shared surprise of experiencing something new within the familiar framework of your sister trips is a true gem.

That snapshot you've shared, showcasing your room view, is more than just a picture; it's a visual bookmark in the story of your annual adventures. It's a snapshot of the moments you've lived, the laughter you've shared, and the vistas that have witnessed your sisterly bond grow stronger with each passing year.

Ultimately, your sister trip isn't just about the travels themselves; it's about the bond that these trips nurture and celebrate. It's about the stories, the laughter, the shared joys, and the unspoken understanding that only siblings can have. Here's to the continuation of this beautiful tradition, and to the heartfelt connection that makes it all so magical! 🌟
Thank you! It was truly a special time.

Great fun report . Looking forward to your Minions Cafe even tho I have already visited!
I love Universal.
Did they give you a pin with parrot on it at MargaritaVille?
Thank you! No, in fact I haven’t heard of that pin before. What is it? Lol I’m so curious now!

Loved your trip report. I was interested because my grown daughter and I have been talking about a girl trip to Universal. It sounds like you two had a wonderful trip, and I can't wait to plan our trip too:)
Thanks and you so have to take that trip together!! It’s such a special time. Great bonding time and just a great atmosphere to take it all in and get caught up with each other.

I go fairly often with my DD19 and it’s a great time. I’d go more often with my DS21 but he’s away at college but we are all hitting up HHN soon! We had a wonderful trip all together a few weeks ago too during the summer while school was out. We all made such great memories when they were little but now they are just new, different memories. You’ll love it!!

On our departure day, I feel like we got a lot accomplished, all the while moving at a slower relaxed pace. It started off with a hearty hot bowl of oatmeal from Aventura’s quick service area.

IMG_0074.jpeg

This is always so filling. Then, I had heard that today was the very start of the soft opening for Minion’s Land (not Villain Con quite yet). So needless to say, we headed straight to Studios to check it out. Lots of excited vibes there to finally check out some of the land’s offerings. We checked out the gift shop, looked at the refreshing popsicles and also the sweets at Bake My Day.

IMG_0098.jpeg

IMG_0080.jpeg

IMG_0076.jpeg
The fart gun cracks me up.

IMG_0083.jpeg

We also checked out Minions Cafe but didn’t dine there.
IMG_0089.jpeg

IMG_0094.jpeg

IMG_0096.jpeg
The notes in the tube were so cute! Lots of detail to look at all throughout this restaurant.

Bake My Day had a lot of themed baked goods and some adorable items in their gift shop.
IMG_0100.jpeg

IMG_0099.jpeg

We never purchased anything in the new land during this trip but we’ve been back several times since this trip and have tried several items such as the popsicles, cupcakes and some entrees from Minions Cafe. I’ll most likely write another trip report(s) and include those items.

I think Universal did a great job with the attention to detail in this land and it feels quite whimsical.

We then got on a few rides and it began to pour buckets… sideways. We hung out in the Irish gift shop which I love. Great things to look at, while staying dry.

Once it slowed down, we walked over to IoA and walked onto Forbidden Journey. Then we meandered around some walking paths near Me Ship the Olive. Some of the paths were right along the water. I’m not sure why I never did this before because this ended up being so lovely.
(Continued with pics in next post)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter