Pop Century Room Renovations

I hear that All Star Movies is going to be undergoing the same renovations that Pop is having.

As someone who was looking to stay at All Star Movies in November. How disruptive is renovations (if at all since it is mainly happening INSIDE rooms). I am hoping they may be done with a good portion of the rooms by then, but who knows.

Can you request a renovated room when you do early check-in?

I hear that All Star Movies is going to be undergoing the same renovations that Pop is having.

As someone who was looking to stay at All Star Movies in November. How disruptive is renovations (if at all since it is mainly happening INSIDE rooms). I am hoping they may be done with a good portion of the rooms by then, but who knows.

Overall it's not disruptive but there are time frames where they are doing demolition and when they are doing "hammering" ..... we have been there when it's been very noisy and when you'd never know it. Some spots have had some minor exterior work done.

You can not request a renovated room online, you would have to call and have it added to your reservation as a request.

I did not find it disruptive at all and we stayed in a building right next to one that was being renovated. That being said, we are commando tourers and are never in our room during the day.

You cannot request refuished rooms online but if you follow the refurb thread, which I'm sure there will be one, you should be able to know what the progress is and can request a room in a specific building as well as call to have a note made on your ressie

The gondolas will hold 8 people.

What is interesting is there are folks insisting they will not put strangers in to these together ... so how many groups of 8 are there overall? Will these things roll at half capacity? I don't know what will happen but I would not want to be put in one with another family/group.

What is interesting is there are folks insisting they will not put strangers in to these together ... so how many groups of 8 are there overall? Will these things roll at half capacity? I don't know what will happen but I would not want to be put in one with another family/group.

I agree, I would not want to be put in to a gondola with another group/family for the most part. Some people have said "Well, it's no different than being with another family on IASW, FEA, or POTC." I think it's much different. Those rides are out in the open (not enclosed) and monitored. The gondola is an enclosed place with no escape. The saving grace is that it would only be a few minutes in that space. It will be interesting to see how the logistics unfold. Maybe there will be some sort of "we're a party of 4 or less and we don't mind sharing a gondola with another family" line?????We're a family of 10 (currently) so we'd probably split up in 2 groups of 5. I think the capacity of the Skyliner will be high enough (compared to buses) that it's not really going to slow things down if the individual gondolas aren't each filled to capacity.

I agree, I would not want to be put in to a gondola with another group/family for the most part. Some people have said "Well, it's no different than being with another family on IASW, FEA, or POTC." I think it's much different. Those rides are out in the open (not enclosed) and monitored. The gondola is an enclosed place with no escape. The saving grace is that it would only be a few minutes in that space. It will be interesting to see how the logistics unfold. Maybe there will be some sort of "we're a party of 4 or less and we don't mind sharing a gondola with another family" line?????We're a family of 10 (currently) so we'd probably split up in 2 groups of 5. I think the capacity of the Skyliner will be high enough (compared to buses) that it's not really going to slow things down if the individual gondolas aren't each filled to capacity.
Plus you would most likely be facing the other family, which I could see being pretty awkward. How fast are these things supposed to go?

Plus you would most likely be facing the other family, which I could see being pretty awkward. How fast are these things supposed to go?

I'm not sure what the actual speed is -- I know I've read/seen it but I can't find it right now. I know the expected throughput capacity is 5,000 people per hour (not sure if that's assuming 8 people per gondola or not). And I believe the estimate of getting from Pop/AoA to Epcot is 15-20 minutes once you get on the gondola at Pop/AoA (including a transfer at CBR). The gondolas will move slowly in the station while it's being loaded, but once it leaves the station, it moves at a nice clip...at least in the videos I've seen of similar systems.

Another reason I don't want to share a gondola with another family is that I need to ride facing forward or it won't be an enjoyable ride for anyone. I can force my family to let me sit on the forward-facing side, but if another family has already loaded, I might not have that option.

I'm not sure what the actual speed is -- I know I've read/seen it but I can't find it right now. I know the expected throughput capacity is 5,000 people per hour (not sure if that's assuming 8 people per gondola or not). And I believe the estimate of getting from Pop/AoA to Epcot is 15-20 minutes once you get on the gondola at Pop/AoA (including a transfer at CBR). The gondolas will move slowly in the station while it's being loaded, but once it leaves the station, it moves at a nice clip...at least in the videos I've seen of similar systems.

Another reason I don't want to share a gondola with another family is that I need to ride facing forward or it won't be an enjoyable ride for anyone. I can force my family to let me sit on the forward-facing side, but if another family has already loaded, I might not have that option.
I still can't get over the idea of staring at another family that I don't know lol

Yes, I agree, totally different. This would be like sitting with strangers on the People Mover.

And it all boils down to evacuation. Once they decide to empty those boats (I've done it) it happens easily and quickly. A bus breaks down, we are off as soon as the other bus arrives for us.

They can't even get a monorail cars evacuated for many hours .... can you imagine dangling and being stuck up there with strangers, face to face.

Not fast enough if sitting with strangers.

When you are on the over packed standing room only gas (and it always happens that people have no manners) in your face bus for 20+ mins full of other families is it really better?

As much as I generally dislike riding in enclosed spaces with other people when I can avoid it (I'll usually take the stairs at my apartment building to avoid riding the elevator with other people - but it's only 4 floors), I also see this as a kind of non-issue. I have ridden ski gondolas with other people. Facing them or sitting right next to them. Is it a little awkward? Sometimes. Most of the times, I just look outside and ignore them. Or chat with my friend or DH and ignore them. I imagine the Skyliner will be the same.

For those of you there now, are there any bounce back offers? I’ve searched the other forums but haven’t seen anything for 2018.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter