PHXscuba's TR: Summer Sweet 16 at DLR -- New Photos 8/19

Our talented teens had dance photos today. This year's recital is a dance version of the musical "Oliver!" As some of the oldest girls at the studio, they play several roles.

IMG_1345_zpsidjxfk9r.jpg

The lovely ladies out for a stroll

pointe1_zpssdtpw6af.jpg

With two friends, as milkmaids and strawberry sellers in "Who Will Buy?"
My daughter is also playing Nancy, the tragically heroic (or is it heroically tragic?) barmaid who saves Oliver and returns him to his family. Since this show is family-friendly, her bludgeoning is glossed over. :rolleyes:

Five weeks to recital. Six weeks to Disneyland!!

PHXscuba

I was all excited because the small-view official calendar online looked like the link for our first park day was clickable (blue instead of black). When you click, it takes you ... to an empty calendar day page. :headache: Actual hours posted end the weekend before our trip. I was reviewing the week before our trip for clues on park openings and entertainment times. And strangely enough, the details for DCA are all there, but that whole week has "schedule unavailable" for all of the DL Park entertainment like the new parade and fireworks. So even when they post the park hours in the next few days, I probably won't have the entertainment schedule!!

There are A LOT of things that Disneyland does better than Disney World. But having the schedule out well in advance is NOT one of them! Our "60-day mark" for making dining reservations was almost 3 weeks ago, yet we still don't know what time the park opens and closes those days! While the hours vary less in the summer months (likely 8-midnight for DL and 8-10 for DCA), I only know that because I've been to DL many, many times. If Disneyland really wants to sell themselves to people who want to come for a "full vacation," listing park hours only when it's practically too late to get any kind of deal on plane tickets or book a discounted hotel rate is shortsighted (and don't get me started on how late they release onsite hotel deals, even in slow times). Even if they pulled the WDW trick of releasing conservative hours/entertainment and then adding to both, it would satisfy people's need to know before making a big decision like flying across the country.

I love regular FP vs. FP+. I love not having to book a popular meal 6 months in advance. I love the walkable park/DTD area. I love the better SoCal weather. Disneyland will always be my "home park." But for a planner, DLR is so uncertain!

Ok, rant over once again. I just need to think of a wonderful thought, any merry little thought ...

PHXscuba

Subbing. For the first time, we may not be traveling at the end of summer. DD is now of JV age, so soccer practices go all summer.

We will be in SD for the winter break though. Of course when we were in DL last, my kids thought we were done disney, but now are asking to see DL during our SD trip. Hmmm, not sure I want to drive up and down the coast during the holidays. I need to think some more.

I didn't realize what the differences were with the parks until I started planning a trip that I'm unable to take now. Everything is much more structured for WDW. I love Disneyland and I'm used to the laid back atmosphere. But, that being said I wish they would release dates earlier for Disneyland. For instance I want to know when they are starting the Halloween parties. I would like to know how they might interfere with our plans.

Subbing. For the first time, we may not be traveling at the end of summer. DD is now of JV age, so soccer practices go all summer.

We will be in SD for the winter break though. Of course when we were in DL last, my kids thought we were done disney, but now are asking to see DL during our SD trip. Hmmm, not sure I want to drive up and down the coast during the holidays. I need to think some more.

I hear you. Finding that "sweet spot" between activities just gets tougher every year. I think next school year I may have some flexibility because DD13 won't have hit high school (and potentially marching band) yet. Of course if DD15/16 actually finds a job ... :rolleyes: (current angst around here)

I didn't realize what the differences were with the parks until I started planning a trip that I'm unable to take now. Everything is much more structured for WDW. I love Disneyland and I'm used to the laid back atmosphere. But, that being said I wish they would release dates earlier for Disneyland. For instance I want to know when they are starting the Halloween parties. I would like to know how they might interfere with our plans.

As a planner, I didn't hate the WDW planning, but I do appreciate not having to do that level for DLR. And you're right, for things where they drastically change park hours, like the Halloween parties, it would be nice to at least have dates. Sometimes I feel like they are a bit control-freak, i.e. they already know the info, but relish handing it out in little doses.

PHXscuba

I hear you. Finding that "sweet spot" between activities just gets tougher every year. I think next school year I may have some flexibility because DD13 won't have hit high school (and potentially marching band) yet. Of course if DD15/16 actually finds a job ... :rolleyes: (current angst around here)

As a planner, I didn't hate the WDW planning, but I do appreciate not having to do that level for DLR. And you're right, for things where they drastically change park hours, like the Halloween parties, it would be nice to at least have dates. Sometimes I feel like they are a bit control-freak, i.e. they already know the info, but relish handing it out in little doses.

PHXscuba

Or terribly disorganized.

Or terribly disorganized.

Yes, I'm not sure if I like nefarious or stupid better as an explanation.

In better news, the hours for our days are finally up. No surprise, 8-midnight for DL both days and 8-10 for DCA. Still no entertainment times listed for DL (seems like they are belching it out a week at a time), but there are 2 showings of WoC both nights. I like that we could ride something (ToT? RSR? All of Bugs Land?) while everyone else sees the early show, then watch the late show and stagger back to the PPH.

Big totally-unrelated-to-trip-news: I was cleaning a seldom-used kitchen cabinet and found a bag of peppermint M&Ms from Christmas that I was hiding from the kids (and apparently myself!) SherryE will understand my glee. I keep trying to cut back on sugar, but even my house is betraying me!

Coming soon: A short list of things that will be new to me at DLR for this trip!

PHXscuba

Yes, I'm not sure if I like nefarious or stupid better as an explanation.

In better news, the hours for our days are finally up. No surprise, 8-midnight for DL both days and 8-10 for DCA. Still no entertainment times listed for DL (seems like they are belching it out a week at a time), but there are 2 showings of WoC both nights. I like that we could ride something (ToT? RSR? All of Bugs Land?) while everyone else sees the early show, then watch the late show and stagger back to the PPH.

Big totally-unrelated-to-trip-news: I was cleaning a seldom-used kitchen cabinet and found a bag of peppermint M&Ms from Christmas that I was hiding from the kids (and apparently myself!) SherryE will understand my glee. I keep trying to cut back on sugar, but even my house is betraying me!

Coming soon: A short list of things that will be new to me at DLR for this trip!

PHXscuba

They are terribly disorganized this year for sure! The hours look about right to me. Have you seen the pictures that people are putting up today of the Soarin' area of DCA? That area looks really good! One of the pleasures of being so close is you can stay our and drag yourself back to the hotel. Not that some of the neighboring hotels aren't as close.

Those M&Ms sound wonderful to me! I'm doing my best to be good on my eating and there have been so many tempting things. But, that being said my outfit for Dapper Day is a size smaller and it's already loose. Sigh.

:cheer2::cheer2: The entertainment schedule is finally posted for our week!:cheer2::cheer2:

My friend and I just said last Friday that we were going to stop stalking the calendar because we were so frustrated. But ... you know me ... I had to look. :rolleyes:

The good news is that Paint the Night is running twice at 8:50 and 11:00, so (as I mentioned above) we could run around like crazy people and then see the later parade if I can last that long. This trip will have serious amounts of Diet Coke for my friend and me! :hyper: :hyper: <--- us

The new "Disneyland Forever" fireworks go off at 9:30 both nights. I'm sure they will be very popular and I'm not sure our crew wants to stake Main Street/hub spots forever. I might read other people's reviews and watch from one of the alternate locations that will have different projections. Luckily we are all 5-foot-5 or taller, so seeing shouldn't be the issue I usually have with the smaller kids.

We agreed to all have lunch a week or two before the trip to make a general game plan. My daughter is already making a list of Disney movies to watch in the van on the drive over!

The kids get out of school in roughly 48 hours :eek: and after that it's full speed into summer.

PHXscuba

Wow your kids get out of school early!

It's about time Disney got some schedules up! I could do an 11 o'clock parade. Too bad they can't do two fireworks a night. The wonderful thing about the fireworks is there are a lot of places you can see them from. Granted it may not be a premium location but, their out there. Sounds like DD is really excited!

pixiedust: One month!! pixiedust:

Disneyland may be having its big 24-hour day today, but one month from today, I will be riding or eating something ... not sure what ... but doing it at Disneyland!

In honor of this very big day, I will go back, back, in time to my last Trip Report for a few bits:

The 2013 multi-trip report went through several names as I traveled with the fam in March, a one-day visit with my mother in September, and eating at Club 33 in December. The index was written before the whole forum-format change took effect. The post numbers still work, but the pages numbers are all wonky because I wrote with 15 posts per page, and now it's 20 posts per page.

In short (since most of you either read along with me the first time or don't want to read 30 pages from 2 years ago), I had a "bucket list" of realistic things I hoped to do, especially since the shorter visits were kind of a bonus as my AP paid for itself in hotel discounts during the March trip.

Bucket list items left over from 2013 I still hope to try/experience (a few were seasonal):
1. The VISA photo op
2. Carsland lighting
3. Grizzly River Run -- pray the weather cooperates

Things that have been renovated since I was last at Disneyland (Dec 2013):
1. Big Thunder -- was closed the entire year I had my AP
2. Alice in Wonderland got a refurb
3. Haunted Mansion's new Hatbox Ghost
4. Storybookland Canals with new Frozen scene
5. Soarin -- new digital film
6. Matterhorn -- the yeti should be awesome!!

(honorable mention to Peter Pan, which won't be open until a week after we leave :()

NEW things!
1. Paint the Night parade
2. Disneyland Forever fireworks
3. New World of Color
4. Fantasy Faire characters/shows (they were there in 2013 but I didn't get around to it)
5. Frozen sing-along/meet and greets -- not sure we'll go, but it is new. My daughter would probably at least like meeting Olaf

Hmm ... I only have 2 days! Plus all the usual favorite big rides like Tower of Terror, Screamin, Star Tours, Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, etc. to fit in.

PHXscuba

Did you watch the videos that Dis put up showing the new parade, WoC and fireworks?

QUOTE="PHXscuba, post: 53707703, member: 201985"]pixiedust: One month!! pixiedust:

Disneyland may be having its big 24-hour day today, but one month from today, I will be riding or eating something ... not sure what ... but doing it at Disneyland!
[/QUOTE]

One month will go by so fast! We have 55 days to go before we are in DL - been checking the countdown app on my phone each morning. LOL

Did you watch the videos that Dis put up showing the new parade, WoC and fireworks?

No, I am not going to watch any before I go. It's only a month before I get to see it live.

I have gone all information-junkie before on rides or shows and missed out on some of the delight and wonder. I will read a few reviews, I'll look at a few still photos, but I want the first time I see it to be real, not on my 20-inch monitor.

I'm the same way with movies. While DH has several movie-trailer sites bookmarked, I usually avoid the majority of movie trailers. I made a notable exception to watch the recently unveiled Star Wars trailer (loved it, BTW), but I don't go looking for teaser info or spoilers.

(Backstory you can skip if you want) Back in the ancient pre-Internet days, I worked for a newspaper wire service that re-edited and sent out news stories and features to newspapers around the country. The big movie that summer was going to be "The Fugitive," starring Harrison Ford and Tommy Lee Jones. I personally edited a couple of the reviews, liked the premise, and then read everything else we had on the movie before seeing it (which wouldn't seem like a lot now but still was probably more than a dozen reviews and features on the making-of). When I finally saw the movie, there was no way it could surprise me because I knew too much about it. "Meh, major train crash." "Ok, there was the dam jump." After that I scaled way back on information consumption, even though I had so much available. I had to actively choose to limit my media exposure because it was ruining things for me.

Point is: The Internet has made information so much more accessible than it ever was, but also invites overkill. I once spent 3 days researching a hotel we were going to stay in for one night! And we are all here on the Dis ....

PHXscuba

Ugh! I couldn't agree more! My two younger kids and look for spoilers on things and it drives me nuts! I mean seriously? What did we do before the Internet? Enjoyed surprises a lot more. Another complaint about the Internet, I buy things from Amazon a lot and some tends to be presents. If you have Prime and your family watches the Prime moves and TV shows they have to have your password. Talk about no surprises or secrets about what you buy.

So I am trying not to over-plan the trip details, especially since I am traveling with 3 opinionated Disney veterans who will have their own ideas on what they want to do (ahem, the teens).

We've agreed that with the EMH we want to start Monday in DCA and Tuesday in DL. But I am thinking that doing the new fireworks/parade in DL might be better the first night, especially if we are trying to stay up until the Paint the Night late parade at 11:00. We will probably be less-tired than the second night, and we don't have to drive 45 minutes to my parents.

So generally, this is my loose plan:
Monday morning:
DCA EMH -- Carsland, Paradise Pier
Grizzly River Run *while we still have a hotel to change in if we get soaked
Soarin and/or ToT
Lunch

Hop to DL :hmghost:

Monday afternoon/evening:
FP what we can get -- HM, Indy, Splash?
Ride favorites that don't have insane lines (mostly west side?)
Dinner
Big Thunder at night
Fireworks (maybe from IASW if we don't want to stake spots forever)
Parade

Tuesday morning:
Check out of PPH :(
DL EMH -- Fantasyland and Matterhorn
Tomorrowland
Other stuff we missed
Lunch at Carnation Cafe

Hop to DCA :sulley:

Tuesday afternoon/evening:
Get WoC FP for later show
FPs for favorite rides
Aladdin show
Other stuff we missed
Dinner
Carsland lighting (sunset 8:06)
WoC

PHXscuba

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter