• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pete's Apple Rant

I cant stand it when i have to text with someone that does not have an iphone....I had an android for years and stayed away from iphone as i didnt want to be one of the Apple sheep....the minute i got an iphone, it wasnt even close

I disagreed with Pete, only because the best of Disney hasn't been coming from within it's been acquired. #Pixar #Lucasfilms #marvel
And Disney owns other power house entertainment companies, again acquired, so let's not pretend like Disney has the monopoly or even the majority of innovation. Heck didn't Disney fire John Lasseter at one point?
Nemo, Buzz, Chewie, weren't dreamed up at Disney, but we have embraced them fully. Would you not embrace another Pixar if it came along? Heck how many lands aren't even Disney's idea.

I am completely fine if the next Cars land isn't born at Disney.

Last edited:

Heck didn't Disney fire John Lasseter at one point?
Disney (Eisner) also wanted to fire Iger.

I don't know if it was a straight "fired" but Lasseter was working on computer animation at Disney and what eventually became Pixar. Katzenburg and others didn't really see computer animation necessary whereas Roy saw it as something they should look into. I suggest a read of Disney War, it offers a great look at this and other aspects of the Eisner years.

The thing that's intriguing with the Apple buying Disney thing is this situation with Iger. He definitely wanted to "retire." But here he is signing on for another limited run. One thing that would force him to stay on is if he was negotiating a deal like that(which could take a year or more). Apple has been eyeballing the entertainment/TV industry for a while -when you say they aren't innovative anymore ...this would give them a new area(which is just waiting for a breakthrough) to show off their technical ability. I say it's a done deal. Apple is holding on to a huge wad of cash.

Apple has been eyeballing the entertainment/TV industry for a while
Which is the part of Disney I think they are most interested in. However ESPN is dragging. It is showing too, SportsCenter for example, an ESPN staple wasn't nominated for a sports Emmy this year. They need change things up if they don't want to continue declining.

Which is the part of Disney I think they are most interested in. However ESPN is dragging. It is showing too, SportsCenter for example, an ESPN staple wasn't nominated for a sports Emmy this year. They need change things up if they don't want to continue declining.

Yes -I think Apple would take ESPN in any condition. They are looking to take the AppleTV to the next level ..and owning a Giant like Disney will give them the muscle they need to put a complete offering together. They've come close but they keep getting muscled out -they could really hurt Comcast ..which is the end game.

Yes -I think Apple would take ESPN in any condition. They are looking to take the AppleTV to the next level ..and owning a Giant like Disney will give them the muscle they need to put a complete offering together. They've come close but they keep getting muscled out -they could really hurt Comcast ..which is the end game.
They could take ESPN in any condition but can they save ESPN is the question.

I agree 100% with Pete. I have never been an Apple fan. I dislike the attitude they promoted. One thing I dislike is the agreements Apple makes with many companies. It frustrated me that a lot of apps are Apple only. It does not make me want to buy an Apple product. It makes me not buy from both companies.

They could take ESPN in any condition but can they save ESPN is the question.

Is ESPN worth saving? All of the major sports have their own networks with their own analysis shows now. ESPN's line-up is tired. They lost my respect a couple years ago when the Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup, I flip to ESPN and there's absolutely no mention of it. I'd much rather go to the MLB or NHL networks to hear about the specific sports I follow, by people that know and respect the true intricacies of those sports.

Is ESPN worth saving? All of the major sports have their own networks with their own analysis shows now. ESPN's line-up is tired. They lost my respect a couple years ago when the Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup, I flip to ESPN and there's absolutely no mention of it. I'd much rather go to the MLB or NHL networks to hear about the specific sports I follow, by people that know and respect the true intricacies of those sports.
Considering ESPN is or at least once was a major money maker for Disney that I think they would consider it something worth saving. Disney has announced they are releasing a stand alone ESPN option for the cable cutters. Now I can't speak for the NHL as honestly I'm not a fan, mainly because we don't have a team but ESPN is tied up with the NBA and College sports. Their staple sportscenter has changed too its become less about sports and more about entertainment and they have things like Scott Van Pelts sportscenter or the one with the man and woman duo who I can never remember their names.

ESPN is good for the games only. That's it. Everything else is over-sponsored drivel geared towards casual sports fans whose attention spans are too short to care about actual sports stories, so the content is completely social media-driven. Show me the highlights of the freaking game....not what Kanye tweeted about the game.

And now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna pop in a Werther's Original, slip into a cardigan, fire up an old "Matlock" VHS tape, and yell at some kids to get off my lawn.

One key point that is being overlooked in this discussion is: if this is what Pete's rants have become it is a sad day. His face never turned purple and he never held his hand up to silence any one. Either the medications are working, or this just isn't that big of a deal.

One key point that is being overlooked in this discussion is: if this is what Pete's rants have become it is a sad day. His face never turned purple and he never held his hand up to silence any one. Either the medications are working, or this just isn't that big of a deal.

Yeah I agree this was hardly a Pete Rant. He just simply said (and not really even angry at all) that he has changed his opinion on Apple because they have stopped innovating and that he personally has chosen to look elsewhere for tech. I agree to a point but my iPad Pro is exactly what I wanted but I know I'm playing a premium to have something that is actually very similar to the surface.

No ESPN is not worth saving. I can't watch it and hate the few times a game is on ESPN. As you pointed out so many sports are on other channels or have their own networks now. I watch Basketball and Hockey on the MSG network and Baseball on SNY or MLB network. I much prefer the commentators and callers on those networks then any of the ones on ESPN or FOX. Also I have tried to watch post game coverage on ESPN and they barely even discuss the game. Now Disney's saving grace when it comes to sports is I believe they own some of the tech behind MLB at bat and a few of the other live streaming sports apps.

ESPN is good for the games only. That's it. Everything else is over-sponsored drivel geared towards casual sports fans whose attention spans are too short to care about actual sports stories, so the content is completely social media-driven. Show me the highlights of the freaking game....not what Kanye tweeted about the game.

And now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna pop in a Werther's Original, slip into a cardigan, fire up an old "Matlock" VHS tape, and yell at some kids to get off my lawn.

We are so alike.

Yeah. Calling that one a rant is over-selling the point. More of an aggressive complaint than anything.

I mean, as somebody who has been stuck with Windows based systems for professional reasons for several decades ... I can bloody RANT on the topic if ya want. But nah. It's all personal choice on a consumer level so its simply not worth getting all rantie over.

No ESPN is not worth saving. I can't watch it and hate the few times a game is on ESPN. As you pointed out so many sports are on other channels or have their own networks now. I watch Basketball and Hockey on the MSG network and Baseball on SNY or MLB network. I much prefer the commentators and callers on those networks then any of the ones on ESPN or FOX. Also I have tried to watch post game coverage on ESPN and they barely even discuss the game. Now Disney's saving grace when it comes to sports is I believe they own some of the tech behind MLB at bat and a few of the other live streaming sports apps.
Disney is a major shareholder in BAMtech the company behind the MLB streaming service. BAMtech is the one working on the ESPN streaming service that is coming later this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter