• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pete's Apple Rant

CMDTA

Mouseketeer
Some people might disagree with Pete total abandoning Apple products.

I am 100% on his side and did the same thing.

Just a couple years ago I was 100% apple. I used a MacBook Pro, Aperture for photo editing, iMovie for YouTube videos, an apple TV for streaming, iTunes for media and an iphone.

I use none of those things now.

A Surface Pro 4 replaced the MacBook Pro.

Lightroom replaced Aperture (in fact the murder of Aperture was the beginning of the end of my use of Apple products)

Corel VideoStudio Pro replaced iMovie.

A Roku replaced the Apple TV.

Amazon for media.

And a number of different phones have filled the slot that an iPhone used too - there are a ton better than the iphone now.

Apple went from getting a tone of my money to not a single cent. They've made a lot of decisions that alienated me and forced me to move on. They killed Aperture, they discontinued the 17" MacBook Pro and did nothing to innovate on the other products.

Overall the only product I miss is iMovie. All the rest I don't miss for a second.

tell ya what ... I just celebrated being able to switch from Windows based operating systems to IOS thanks to a change in jobs. There's simply no way in heck I go back to being a slave to Microsoft. Apple might tick me off too, but are the other options any better at the end of the day? No, they aren't. Go with what works for you, I say.

Haven't listened to the podcast yet, but as most say, to each his own.

I moved from Microsoft\Windows\other products to all Apple 15+ years ago. I'll never look back. I'm a systems engineer by trade and work with Windows and other technologies every day. When I come home, I want stability. No virus issues, and a company that makes quality and stable products that work very well together. To me, the only company doing that now is Apple. (Were even moving toward more Apple products and compatibility in the workplace over the next few years).

For years and years I swore I'd never pay what Apple charges for their products. Then I bought an Apple product. Then another. Now, not buying Apple is no longer an option.

It really is a personal preference things. The only thing that I use on a daily basis that infuriates me about Apple is the way they redid itunes. Apple Music destroyed a perfectly good thing. So I no longer buy albums and instead pay for monthly family Spotify. Problem solved. I tried to make the switch back to Andriod and I use a PC at work and both frustrate me a million times more than apple products. I'm a pretty smart person when it comes to tech and with both there is just too much upkeep on them. I do have a PC for some craft stuff because no one has made a decent embroidery file editor for MAC but besides that I will be sticking with Apple for the time being.

I agree with what Pete said in that Apple is not innovating any longer. However I am still using all Apple products because that is what I have. I may eventually look into other devices when my existing devices break, or no longer do the job I need them too.

What Pete said actually urged me to do some more research on the other options out there. A couple of months ago my MacBook Pro broke and I had a meltdown at the thought of paying around £1300 for a new one - especially since you can't upgrade the hardware in the newer models (at least I don't think you can...I'm not very tech savvy!). Fortunately Apple repaired my MacBook for free under a repair programme (the hard drive cable was faulty in my model) so I didn't have to worry about it, but its definitely made me think about what my next products would be. I would really like a new phone by the end of the year so I was thinking of putting some money aside each month for the new iPhone 8 that will be released in September. The real sticking point for me is that my current iPhone and MacBook work so well together through iCloud that I think I'd really miss that functionality if I moved away from Apple.

In an ideal world I'd build my own computer that could run both Mac & Windows OS. Then I'd be able to upgrade the hard drive & RAM whenever I wanted - but unfortunately I don't have the space in my flat for a standing computer, so I need to stick with Macbooks/laptops.

When you have to run a virtual Windows machine on your Mac to do basic business.... your not #winning. However the black rimmed glass wearing, coffee sipping, button up white shirt with a bowtie crowd has a vocal lobby.

Huh. I just switched to an iPhone after being a diehard Samsung user and was surprised how much I liked it.

I guess for everyone jumping ship there are the ones like me just getting on board.

I don't have a phone or a computer, so I'll keep using whatever the public library allows me to use for an hour at a time.

I don't know what kind of computer it is...maybe a ColecoVision?

Hold on, I'll check.

Since ISP's can now sell our personal data (including browser history, SSN), that may be a good thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter