"Past Disney" July 2023 Exercise Challenge

33 more treadmill minutes. I don't want to hijack the thread, but today has me missing Disney's Dreamflight by Eastern Airlines. Wish I could fly away!

Raya - 122/400

Thanks for that -- great to learn about that attraction!

Thanks! I love that the storms bring much cooler temps, but the winds and lightning have been really bad and have caused a lot of damage this summer. We've had so many massive trees and power lines down across the larger metro area and lots of people without power for extended periods of time. Not a good thing in these temps. We had friends lose all three of their horses in a storm a few weeks ago. It has definitely been an unusual season.

Oh, how very sad for your friends!!

Congratulations to Raya for turning 1960s Orange and to luvpoohandcompany for being the first team member to reach 1980s Pink!

One final stop in Past Epcot -- Communicore and Innoventions. Both were the semicircle buildings behind Spaceship Earth.

Communicore (East and West) was a science and technology pavilion hosting various exhibits from 1982 to 1993-94. It was replaced by Innoventions (East and West) in 1994. Innoventions also highlighted technical advancements.

Innoventions was closed in 2019 as part of the transformation of the Future World area. Innoventions West was completely demolished, and Innoventions East reimagined as the Creations Shop and Connections Cafe & Eatery.

The name Communicore is being resurrected for CommuniCore Hall, a new event and meet-and-greet area just behind Spaceship Earth.

My most vivid memory of Innoventions is from the early 2000s, of a video game sponsored by IBM, where everyone stood at stations in a circle and raced their cars to collect pieces of technology. We loved that game and were so sad when it was closed! I also recall making a plastic robot from various pieces in the Fantastic Plastic exhibit.

Next, on to the Magic Kingdom!

Last edited:
We loved Innoventions too. My kids used to love playing a Piggy Bank game where they saved for their futures and I seem to remember a fire safety game where they had to identify household hazards but their all time favourite was designing your own rollercoaster ride and then “riding” It in the simulator.
Thank you @sophy1996 for sparking all these happy memories and for all your hard work keeping this thread up to date too 😊
Another 50 minute walk done yesterday. This time we stopped for brunch lol. The walking may be good for my health but maybe not so much for my wallet if we keep stopping at cafes for food 🤣. We are in holiday mode for sure.

550/650

We loved Innoventions too. My kids used to love playing a Piggy Bank game where they saved for their futures and I seem to remember a fire safety game where they had to identify household hazards but their all time favourite was designing your own rollercoaster ride and then “riding” It in the simulator.
Thank you @sophy1996 for sparking all these happy memories and for all your hard work keeping this thread up to date too 😊
Another 50 minute walk done yesterday. This time we stopped for brunch lol. The walking may be good for my health but maybe not so much for my wallet if we keep stopping at cafes for food 🤣. We are in holiday mode for sure.

550/650

Oh, I remember the piggy bank! Never had the guts to do the simulator. Thanks for the kind words! It’s great that everyone is throwing in their stories too.

Congratulations to Elizabeth Smith on turning 1980s Pink!

I went to the Magic Kingdom as a kid. I remember three rides pretty vividly. One was Space Mountain, which terrified me (and I still don't like it to this day). The others both are gone -- the Skyway and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

The Skyway was a gondola ride between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland. It opened with the park in 1971 and operated until 1999. The only thing left of the Skyway are the bathrooms next to Space Mountain, which were the first level of a two-story Tomorrowland station. The station in Fantasyland was removed as part of the New Fantasyland expansion, but was in the Tangled bathroom area.

In 2019, Walt Disney World opened a new version of the Skyway -- the Skyliner that connects resorts to DHS and Epcot.

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea was a submarine ride in Fantasyland that operated from 1971 to 1994. When the ride closed, the lagoon remained and the nearby area was themed to Ariel's Grotto. The lagoon finally was filled in in 2004 and the area became the Pooh's Playful Spot playground. Then, in 2014, it became the site of the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train roller coaster as part of the New Fantasyland expansion.

Last edited:
I remember both the Skyway and 20000 leagues under the sea from our very first trip in 1993. There were we tables you could sit at and watch the submarines go under the sea and my then 4 year old daughter stood beside us and waved at each captain as they set off on their voyage and without fail each one waved back. We must have stayed there for at least half an hour as she was so happy watching and waving. MK was a lot less busy in those days 😊

Congratulations to Elizabeth Smith on turning 1980s Pink!

I went to the Magic Kingdom as a kid. I remember three rides pretty vividly. One was Space Mountain, which terrified me (and I still don't like it to this day). The others both are gone -- the Skyway and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

The Skyway was a gondola ride between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland. It opened with the park in 1971 and operated until 1999. The only thing left of the Skyway are the bathrooms next to Space Mountain, which were the first level of a two-story Tomorrowland station. The station in Fantasyland was removed as part of the New Fantasyland expansion, but was in the Tangled bathroom area.

In 2019, Walt Disney World opened a new version of the Skyway -- the Skyliner that connects resorts to DHS and Epcot.

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea was a submarine ride in Fantasyland that operated from 1971 to 1994. When the ride closed, the lagoon remained and the nearby area was themed to Ariel's Grotto. The lagoon finally was filled in in 2004 and the area became the Pooh's Playful Spot playground. Then, in 2014, it became the site of the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train roller coaster as part of the New Fantasyland expansion.
I remember both... on hot sweaty days I really miss being able to take that gondola across the park.

Congratulations to Oneanne and to me for turning 1980s Pink!

MK's Fantasyland hosted Mr. Toad's Wild Ride from the park's opening until 1998, when it was closed to make way for The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, which opened in 1999.

MK's Mr. Toad had a larger capacity than Disneyland's version because it had two tracks. The article linked above (from Yesterland) says that originally the tracks were to be identical. But Rolly Crump suggested making them different. It sounds like Disneyland's scenes were split between the two tracks and additional scenes added.

You can see Mr. Toad in at least two places at MK--where is he?

1. In The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, there is a picture of Mr. Toad handing over the deed to the space to Owl.

2. There is a Mr. Toad headstone in the pet graveyard at the Haunted Mansion.

There also are other Toad references in the park, detailed in the article about the Mr. Toad headstone.

Another former Fantasyland ride was Snow White's Adventures, an opening-day attraction. It was renovated to make it less scary in 1994 (though it then was renamed Snow White's Scary Adventures, strangely enough). The ride closed permanently in 2012 and was replaced with the Princess Fairytale Hall, a meet-and-greet area.

In 2011, MK lost an entire land -- Mickey's Toontown Fair.

It opened as Mickey's Birthdayland in 1988, with almost everything housed under tents. The storyline was that Minnie was hosting a surprise birthday party for Mickey, who afterward would meet with guests.

In 1990, the area became Mickey's Starland, featuring characters from Disney TV shows. Then the name changed briefly to Mickey's Toyland in 1995, before the land closed for refurbishment and opened as Mickey's Toontown Fair in 1996 as part of MK's 25th anniversary celebration. That's when the buildings went up and the land became a mainstay for meeting the classic characters.

Mickey's Toontown Fair closed in anticipation of the new Fantasyland project and was replaced with Storybook Circus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter