"Past Disney" July 2023 Exercise Challenge

Congratulations to PollyannaMom for turning 1970s Purple!

Next to Wonders of Life was the Universe of Energy pavilion. It started as an overview of energy generally -- as described by AllEars.net, "the original version of Universe of Energy was a massive, 45-minute experience that utilized film, a revolutionary ride system, animatronics, and songs." But by 1996, it was outdated. The pavilion was closed for a retheme and reopened as Ellen's Energy Adventure.

In Ellen's Energy Adventure, Alex Trebek from Jeopardy! and Bill Nye the Science Guy (with an appearance by Jamie Lee Curtis) try to teach Ellen DeGeneres about energy. The dinosaur animatronics from the original ride remained.

Ellen's Energy Adventure played for 21 years, but then closed in 2017 to make way for the first Epcot pavilion from outside Earth -- the Wonders of Xandar pavilion--for Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind. (It actually closed on the same day as the Great Movie Ride!). Guardians opened in 2022.
These dinos were one of my favorite Disney things and I was so sad to see them go... pulled this photo off the internet and evidently those people are having a meal with them!?!

1689605218261.png

Congratulations to Oneanne, Twilight Sparkle, me, and the TEAM for turning 1970s Purple!

While we're looking at Epcot, let's remember the Millennium Celebration, which ran from October 1, 1999, through January 1, 2001. The theme was Celebrate the Future, Hand in Hand.

Spaceship Earth was decorated with a white-gloved hand holding a wand with "2000." After the celebration, the 2000 was replaced by "Epcot" until the wand was removed in 2007.

Around World Showcase you could see the Tapestry of Nations parade, which featured a haunting soundtrack and performers on stilts and manipulating huge puppets. This parade is probably my favorite Disney parade of all time!

I also really enjoyed the Millennium Village, a display of exhibits of 50 nations who weren't already represented in World Showcase. The Millennium Village was housed in the building tucked between Canada and the UK that since has been used for special events.

Illuminations: Reflections of Earth was part of the Millennium Celebration as well. It outlasted the rest of the celebration by many years, finally closing in 2019.

And Leave A Legacy also was part of the celebration. Tiny etched pictures were placed on plinths in courtyard in front of Spaceship Earth. The last Leave a Legacy pictures were placed in 2007. In 2019, Disney announced they would be moved as part of a redesign of the courtyard, and they were moved to colorful panels to the side of Epcot's entrance.

Congratulations to luvpoohandcompany for turning 1970s Purple!

Over in the World Showcase, a few pavilions have seen some changes.

The Mexico pavilion's boat ride opened as El Rio del Tiempo (the River of Time). It ran from 1982 to 2007. It reopened as the Gran Fiesta Tour Starring the Three Caballeros. The ride through Mexican culture didn't change much, but it added Jose, Panchito, and Donald Duck from 1944's The Three Caballeros.

Next door, Norway's boat ride started life as the Maelstrom ride. This ride through Norwegian culture even featured an appearance by trolls. At the end of the ride, guests could view a film called The Spirit of Norway. (When we were able to visit Oslo, I had to go to the Viking Ship Museum just to view the ships from this film!). Maelstrom was open from 1988 to 2014. It then was rethemed to Disney's Frozen.

Two World Showcase attractions have seen movies about their countries come and go.

The China pavilion started with Wonders of China in 1982. That movie ran for 21 years until it was replaced with the current version, Reflections of China, in 2003. In turn, Reflections of China will have run for 21 years by the time it is replaced by Wondrous China in 2024.

The Canada pavilion has featured three movies thus far: two versions of O' Canada (1982-2007 and 2007-2019) and Canada: Far and Wide, which opened in 2020.

In contrast, over in the France pavilion, they've been playing Impressions de France since 1982!

Hope your weather settles down. It's been really wacky here too.
Thanks! I love that the storms bring much cooler temps, but the winds and lightning have been really bad and have caused a lot of damage this summer. We've had so many massive trees and power lines down across the larger metro area and lots of people without power for extended periods of time. Not a good thing in these temps. We had friends lose all three of their horses in a storm a few weeks ago. It has definitely been an unusual season.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter