Montreal or BTV?

SwanVT2

DIS Veteran
We usually fly out of Burlington, VT. However, flights are significantly cheaper to fly out of Montreal and they are direct flights. We are looking at Air Canada Rouge in particular. This is for Feb. 2025. 2300 vs. 1400 approximately in terms of difference for 3 of us to fly round trip. We would park and fly at a Montreal hotel. Question is- is the cost savings worth it? How reliable is Air Canada rouge? How much longer with customs add to the trip? Thank you!!

I looked into a similar option once and was informed I could not drive to Montreal and then fly an international flight back into the US. I wasn't allowed to book it. I don't know if anything has changed. I agree there are lousy flight options out of BTV. Did you check Manchester or Albany, depending on which might be closer for you? Good luck!

It's not very far from Burlington to Montreal. We are a bit further from YUL (granted, no international border in the way) and don't think twice about flying from Montreal if the price and/or schedule works out better than our local airport in Ottawa.

Customs into Canada is unlikely to be much of an issue, assuming your paperwork is in order and you don't have some prior history of trouble at international borders! Customs at the airport will add a little time, anywhere from 5 minutes to maybe an hour at very busy times, but I'd usually assume somewhere around 15-30 minutes. Probably won't be unusually busy in February. Local "spring break" is in March, including most of the universities.

I am not a huge fan of Rouge; it's Air Canada's "vacation" brand and IMO the service and spacing is a little less than ideal, but it's not really worse than most mainstream airlines these days, and certainly not worse than most discount airlines. I might not choose them first if I had another option at the same price, but if the savings was significant, I would do it. I don't think they're any less reliable than any other airline.

One thing you should check, if you haven't already, is the cost to park in Montreal. Parking at Canadian airports tends to be notably more expensive than US airports, in my experience. But it sounds like you've already factored that in with your hotel.

I looked into a similar option once and was informed I could not drive to Montreal and then fly an international flight back into the US. I wasn't allowed to book it.

That's interesting. And a little bizarre. I'm not doubting your experience, but I don't know who would enforce that, or how. You tell the Canadian customs officer that you're visiting Montreal overnight and returning to the US the next day (completely true). They won't ask if you're flying back, and I don't know why they would care anyway. Likewise, as an American returning to the US, I can't see why a US pre-clearance officer at the airport would give you any trouble. As for actually booking the flight - how would the airline even know where you were coming from? Non-residents book flights across international borders all the time. I've done it myself. Never heard of it being a problem. :confused3

Last edited:
That's interesting. And a little bizarre. I'm not doubting your experience, but I don't know who would enforce that, or how.
It was the airline who refused to let me book. I think it had something to do with the US address. It was several years ago and I don’t recall the details, maybe DH will; I can ask later.

It was the airline who refused to let me book. I think it had something to do with the US address. It was several years ago and I don’t recall the details, maybe DH will; I can ask later.

Okay, yeah, I can see HOW an airline could do that on a round-trip ticket. Still can't figure out the "why" though! (And I'm not expecting you to know either, to be clear. It just seems like a really odd policy to me, so I'm curious.)

I'd guess that it's less likely to be a problem nowadays, since the sale of one-way tickets has become very common. There wouldn't be much point in an airline trying to enforce that kind of rule on return tickets when you can easily just book two one-way segments to get around it.

Thanks for sharing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter