MAY W.I.S.H. - Let's make it an aMAYzing Month

TOPIC TUESDAY: NAP TIME
1651544928355.png

We've talked about the importance of sleep before, but not about napping. A power nap is a well, powerful thing!

A 20 minute nap can: reset your system, give you a burst of alertness and increase your motor performance.
A 30 to 60 minute nap can: boost your memory, enhance creativity and is good for decision making skills.

Both are better than caffeine!

Some tips for good napping:
* Be consistent and keep to a schedule - 8 hours after your wake up time is best.
* Make it quick - just 20 minutes can be enough
* Go dark - close the curtains and turn off the lights
* Stay warm - cozy up in a soft throw or blanket

Do you nap?

I'm a big napper on the weekends. I particularly like to nap with the bedroom window open when it is sunny... even tho I usually feel like if it is sunny here I should be outside taking advantage of it. Being work-from-home I could also nap during the work day but have only done it a couple times, somehow it feels overly indulgent?

When I was researching this topic I came across a couple articles on siestas, which I had totally forgotten about, and how they actually originate from ancient Rome. Taking a 2 hour midday break seems like a brilliant and healthful idea that I'd love to see us get back to.

1651588899971.png

I'm a big napper on the weekends. I particularly like to nap with the bedroom window open when it is sunny... even tho I usually feel like if it is sunny here I should be outside taking advantage of it. Being work-from-home I could also nap during the work day but have only done it a couple times, somehow it feels overly indulgent?

When I was researching this topic I came across a couple articles on siestas, which I had totally forgotten about, and how they actually originate from ancient Rome. Taking a 2 hour midday break seems like a brilliant and healthful idea that I'd love to see us get back to.

View attachment 666516
I love the concept. I think it would be lovely. When I do nap, I do it in my birthday suit, and I get under the covers.

The last glorious nap I remember was in 2019 at the Disneyland Hotel after a very fun afternoon at Trader Sam’s. They open at 11am, so we went two days in a row, had appetizers and cocktails for lunch. We then retired to our room and had a lovely siesta.

WOO HOO! I'm fully back on track and have successfully dropped the pounds I gained over Easter and spring break. That took too long, and it reminds me that when I want to take a day to celebrate, it needs to be ONE DAY, not day after day strung together.

WOO HOO! When we mess up, we aren't doomed to fail. We can forgive ourselves and get back to it, making the right choices that lead to healthier bodies and better lives.

WOO HOO! My class just began the final unit of the school year. We dove into our Ocean Unit by adopting two whales, and they couldn't be more excited.

Woohoo... I finally remembered to make an appointment with my Doctor and will see him tomorrow. I really need to figure out what to do about my voice and allergies, which I think are connected.

Woohoo... it should be dry enough today to mow the lawn.

Woohoo... I think I've found a place to go for some time off in August... Walla Walla. It's a 5 hour drive over the mountains and thru the eastern side of the state, which is dry and prairie-like so would be a nice change of scenery. Plus my Mom was from that area and we used to go visit her Mom, Grand Ma J, and her Sister + family every summer, so it would be very nostalgic.

Whooooohoooooooo-foster puppy slept last night!!!!! I covered her crate with a black blanket and gave her a frozen kong at bedtime. Not sure which did the trick but she was quiet all night and I had to wake her at 8 because I thought someone was wrong LOL!!!

Whoooohooooo-She also has approved adopters and will be leaving us on 5/20 after her vaccine appointment next Friday!!!

Whoooohoooo-my mail order plants came yesterday for my Mother’s Day gifts and they are all alive and well…they even threw in a extra plant!! Hubby went to Lowes for some more house project supplies so he’s getting soil and I hope to get them planted tonight!

I hope everyone has a excellent Wednesday!!!

Naps -- I love my naps. I just lay down on the couch and put the tv on and I am out. Sometimes they are short naps but sometimes they are like and hour. DH and DS don't really nap. DS goes until he drops. DD and I are the nappers. Good thing she was able to take one yesterday. It was a really rough day. Starting off with not wanting to go to school. She was a bear all day. I was getting text messages all day. She took about a 2 hour nap when she got home from school and when she got up she was a different child.

Woohoo -- DD is (mood wise) doing much better today. She really woke up on the wrong side of the bed yesterday. Today she is happy and really talkative.

Woowhoo track practice tonight was at a field closer to home so i had a few mins to get dinner ready, eat, and get stuff ready for tomorrow without acting like a chicken with no head.

Sort of woowhoo it was confirmed that an issue from work on Monday was caused by what I thought it was. Sometimes being right isnt great, but, the vendor has until January to fix it before it's an issue again.

Woowhoo 2nd night this week I was able to do a couple mini workouts. They might not do much for my physically but mentally I feel like I am accomplishing something.

Woowhoo the weather is going to be nice tomorrow so I won't feel like a popsicle at scouts.

Major woowhoo DD said something that sounded an awful lot like mama on Monday night and actually looked towards me when she said it! And DS7 let his classmates sing to him on his birthday. These were both MAJOR developments. Hope they keep it up :love:

Wahoo we had a staff bingo game today and it was a lot of fun. I won twice--once when I wasn't even there! I had to get back to the office and left my cards with someone. Even bigger yahoo people helped with set up and clean up! I love it when that happens!!!

Again, I am thankful I have the means to travel and do the things I want to do.

The past few summers I've felt a strong urge to reconnect to the way summers felt when I was a kid, so open, relaxed, easy, endless. Tough to do when you still have to adult. The trip to Walla Walla got booked yesterday and going there in the summers was such a big part of childhood I'm really looking forward to it. And to doing touristy things... and it will be warm/hot there and will really feel like summer.

One of my clearest childhood memories is of a picnic we had at Walla Walla's Pioneer Park with Grandma J and Aunt Betty and family, so I'm for sure going there.

1651758829610.png

I have another Woohoo from yesterday. DH got the job that he applied for. It is with the same company but is more money.

I am thankful DD only sprained her ankle and it is not broke. Tuesday she rolled her ankle and then stepped on it while it was rolled. It was slightly bruised but really swollen. I took her to the walk in clinic at her ortho yesterday. We did know which NP we would see and got a nice surprise that it was the one that we work with all the time. She is really good and helpful. I can just email her questions and she will let me know what I should do. DD is a bit of a klutz plus she has had 2 surgeries (one on each ankle) for a birth defect that we didn't find out about until a few years ago after many many visits to the ortho. DD has a high ankle sprain and will be in a boot for 3 weeks. It was good to hear that I did everything that the NP would have told me to do. Ice, advil (we did alternate with Tylenol because pain was so bad) and putting in the boot before we were told to use it. I did talk to her about DD's clotting disorder that we just found out and NP thinks that the reason why DD's injuries are so bad and seem much worse to her is because of the clotting disorder. She thinks there is more blood then with most people and her body is trying to absorb it.

I second @Oneanne's thankful about having the means to travel. My DS needed me this week, and I am very grateful that I could just come up without having to fret about the cost.

I am also thankful that he is feeling better enough to be back at classes today! He's got quite a bit to catch up on, but his professors were nice about it, and there is only about a week more to go before he'll be home for the summer.

Happy Thankful Thursday Everyone!!

@Oneanne your photo of the park are gorgeous 😍 can’t wait to see the photos of your trip this summer

@piglet1979 congrats to your husband! So glad DD is ok! Hoping she’s feeling better soon!

@PollyannaMom I am so glad your so. Is feeling better!

I am also thankful for the ability to travel and for having travel plans this summer!

Also thankful that I got my Mother’s Day gifts all made last night. I planted indoor plants for all the moms in my life with a “worlds best…” whatever type of mom they are (girl mom, dog mom etc) on the pot. I thought a year round plant inside will hopefully remind them how much they are valued year round instead of a seasonal plant!

I hope everyone is having a great day!

I'm thankful that DD tested negative for covid! She was exposed on Friday, and tested negative on rapid, but it took until just a couple of hours ago to get the results of the PCR. She has bad allergies, and she wasn't sure if her symptoms were actually covid. Her friend, a new nurse, who exposed DD tested negative on 2 rapids, and thought she was fine until she got a fever...then she took a PCR which was positive. So DD was living life as if she wasn't exposed because she didn't know it until Tuesday. I'm a bit disappointed in her friend for not telling us until Tuesday when she knew that she might have it on Saturday. Oh well...this is why people keep getting it. Ugh!!! Thank God DD is okay, and DH and I are safe from exposure.

I'm thankful that the work week is almost over. My rowdy bunch is so much right now. My para doesn't have any behavioral management skills, so they only behave with me...and they love to push the limits with me. It's exhausting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter