May Pre-Trip & Trip Reports

He informed me you were a little short on the outdoor snacks. I would suggest a peace offering.

Pictures are looking good. Thanks for taking the time.

Great pictures Lynda! By the looks of the pictures you are having some great weather. Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

The weather has been great...low humidity and only about 80. Actually, it has been a bit chilly at night. :)

I went on the Fort Segway tour this morning...expensive but it was great fun! Here's Ron, our guide. He was outstanding, a wealth of Disney and Fort history.

DSCN0109.JPG

We got to go down the old trail between WL and the Fort although part of the trail is off limits due to some sort of construction going on. One spot had terrific views of WL and the Contemporary.
DSCN0114.JPG DSCN0115.JPG

I did the Fort Segway Tour a few years ago, Peach, with my Dad. I think he enjoyed it more than I did!

Lovely pix. Looks like you Fort folks had some rain clear out a few days ago and have had lovely weather since.

I'm happy for you. Thanks for the update.

Bama Ed

How: Driving 16.5 hours from Central Texas with just a mid-size car and roof Thule cargo bin

We will have 5 day park tickets, no dining plan this time. We expect to eat most meals in the parks due to the limited space in the car (decided to leave behind most of our camp kitchen stuff other than a cooler for drinks and a smallish bin of snacks.)
:)

Austin area here...that drive took us much longer than 16.5 hours that Mapquest said- BUT That was with 3 littles and many stops to see things. This time we want to drive as far as we can the first day, so I'll be following your TR to see how your drive goes! We hope to make it to at least Pensacola the first day if we can.

As far as food, we only had a small car and we made a Costco stop just outside of Disney and loaded up with sandwich stuff and breakfast snacks to keep our in-park eating down. We ended up with too much food, which served as snacks for the drive home.

Austin area here...that drive took us much longer than 16.5 hours that Mapquest said- BUT That was with 3 littles and many stops to see things. This time we want to drive as far as we can the first day, so I'll be following your TR to see how your drive goes! We hope to make it to at least Pensacola the first day if we can.

As far as food, we only had a small car and we made a Costco stop just outside of Disney and loaded up with sandwich stuff and breakfast snacks to keep our in-park eating down. We ended up with too much food, which served as snacks for the drive home.

Houston area here, with two littles who are fairly good in the car, but I'm still anxious about the drive. We are leaving Thursday afternoon and Pensacola is our goal for the first day too. No firm plans though, so we'll see how we do.

Houston area here, with two littles who are fairly good in the car, but I'm still anxious about the drive. We are leaving Thursday afternoon and Pensacola is our goal for the first day too. No firm plans though, so we'll see how we do.

Sounds like a good goal! We realized very quickly that we no longer do well driving at night, so we plan on leaving at 5/6 AM to beat the Houston Traffic and drive until we can't anymore.
We stopped at the space center in MS and the kids had so much fun. This time, we won't make any stops other than bathroom breaks.

Sounds like a good goal! We realized very quickly that we no longer do well driving at night, so we plan on leaving at 5/6 AM to beat the Houston Traffic and drive until we can't anymore.
We stopped at the space center in MS and the kids had so much fun. This time, we won't make any stops other than bathroom breaks.

I told my DH that we might have to up
our game. "If they can make it from Austin to Pensacola....." Haha! Originally we were going to leave after school was out, hoping that the kids would crash out and we could just drive into the night in peace. But then we remembered that we were going east and decided 1 was a better plan because Houston traffic is a nightmare. Still hoping they fall asleep at some point. :faint:

Rode my bike around the 1600-1900 loops and there were only five sites occupied in the 1900 loop. came back to my site and passed an rv with water (I hope it was only water) gushing out from under. Didn't look like anyone was home so I called the front desk. Hope they have a cell number to call those poor folks! That's one of my reoccurring nightmares, something pouring out of my rv.

Rode my bike around the 1600-1900 loops and there were only five sites occupied in the 1900 loop. came back to my site and passed an rv with water (I hope it was only water) gushing out from under. Didn't look like anyone was home so I called the front desk. Hope they have a cell number to call those poor folks! That's one of my reoccurring nightmares, something pouring out of my rv.
Good thing you noticed! I hope someone was able to get in touch with the owners. I'm loving your pics!

Good thing you noticed! I hope someone was able to get in touch with the owners. I'm loving your pics!

Thanks!
I dropped by the flooded rv's site this morning and they had already left. Hope it wasn't anything serious.

On a slightly humorous note, I was walking around the loop this afternoon and noticed a huge bus but it didn't really look like a bus RV. Looked more like a bus you'd see some musc group using to tour in. As I got closer I noticed a small "label" about musical transportation, hm, not a regular rv after all. Anyway, as I walked past a young man came out and asked me about if the comfort station had towels. They had no towels on board! I had to explain that Disney assumes campers bring their own. My guess is that this was a spur-of-the-moment stop for them. Wonder if the young man was some famous singer that an old baby boomer like me wouldn't recognize.

Thanks!
I dropped by the flooded rv's site this morning and they had already left. Hope it wasn't anything serious.

On a slightly humorous note, I was walking around the loop this afternoon and noticed a huge bus but it didn't really look like a bus RV. Looked more like a bus you'd see some musc group using to tour in. As I got closer I noticed a small "label" about musical transportation, hm, not a regular rv after all. Anyway, as I walked past a young man came out and asked me about if the comfort station had towels. They had no towels on board! I had to explain that Disney assumes campers bring their own. My guess is that this was a spur-of-the-moment stop for them. Wonder if the young man was some famous singer that an old baby boomer like me wouldn't recognize.

Hmmm - the Gin Blossoms played at the flower and garden festival this weekend. Maybe it was them? After looking at this picture though, they aren't looking so "young" anymore. Maybe one of the crew?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    100.2 KB · Views: 9
We are at the Fort ... Got here Sunday and having a very quiet and layback get away ..... Getting over illness. Nice place to do that! Just wanted to let anyone coming in know that loop 600 and 100 are closed. They are paving both loops. According to CM the next 2 weeks are slow, so time for upgrades to preferred and premium sites / loops. If I get out and about a bit I will add pics. Beautiful weather.

I told my DH that we might have to up
our game. "If they can make it from Austin to Pensacola....." Haha! Originally we were going to leave after school was out, hoping that the kids would crash out and we could just drive into the night in peace. But then we remembered that we were going east and decided 1 was a better plan because Houston traffic is a nightmare. Still hoping they fall asleep at some point. :faint:

Houston traffic is horrible, Beaumont was worse though- there is no way around it and it was under construction, if you can make it there are night/past Houston traffic, you are doing well!

Thanks for the pictures everyone! Keep them coming! It gave me my fill for the week that I needed. We are just 90+ days to the kids trip with us back to FW and the rest of the Disney bubble. I am looking forward to the vacation and having a good time with everyone.

Traffic is subjective. I remember a local from Houston telling me the traffic we where in was horrible (it was moving around 15mph.) After you experience DC Metro traffic and 6-12 mile backups on a regular basis, only NY, and LA seem to be able to compete.

Breaking news: only one camper is in the 1900 loop, I think I know why. Looks like the Fort is replacing the timbers that hold the sand pad in place. There are several sites blocked off and all have a load of "railroad ties" timber at each one. There is also a big dumpster full of the old railroad tie material. I'll try to get some pix tomorrow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter