Marathon Weekend 2017!

DD & DSiL are running the half. I have last year's course map but was wondering where the best place(s) to see them might be, how to get there from BWV and timing/transport from place to place.

TIA! :thanks:
How often do you want to see them and how early are you willing to wake up?

Yes. When I went to watch a race in MK I took a taxi to the Contemporary and walked from there (this was before the race started, so the roads weren't totally closed yet - might be more challenging once the race begins and traffic is restricted). Probably the easiest thing is to take the official race transportation to Epcot and take the monorail from there...the downside being that you'll be waiting awhile on Main Street for the runners to come through (we waited about 2 hours until we saw our runner). It was a fun but long morning!

You don't have to have someone running and you don't need a ticket to get in, since you'd be there before the park officially opens. They had bathrooms open and they were selling snacks and things like that, but we brought our own snacks.

My parents and husband drove to Epcot about 30 minutes after the race started and parked there. They took the Monorail to MK and then set-up along Main Street. Then they took the Monorail back to the car at Epcot and went back home to wait for a bit (my parents) until we got closer to the finish. My husband went and met other friends, had brunch and then they scattered to meet us at other places on the Marathon course.

How often do you want to see them and how early are you willing to wake up?

Well, since we'll be sharing a 2-bedroom at BWV, I suspect we'll wake up when they start puttering around in the kitchen (DD is not the quietest person when getting dishes out :sad2:), so we'll wake up pretty early. I'm most interested in seeing them in the MK and again at the finish, though.

Well, since we'll be sharing a 2-bedroom at BWV, I suspect we'll wake up when they start puttering around in the kitchen (DD is not the quietest person when getting dishes out :sad2:), so we'll wake up pretty early. I'm most interested in seeing them in the MK and again at the finish, though.
If you're willing to get up early, you can take the official race transportation with them to the starting area and hang out with them until they head to the Corrals. Once they leave you can take the monorail to the Magic Kingdom and see them there (you'll likely have a 1-2 hour wait depending on their pace). No ticket required.

You can then take the monorail back to Epcot and either catch them right before they enter the park, in the park near Spaceship Earth (required a park ticket) or just walk back to the finish area. :)

If you're willing to get up early, you can take the official race transportation with them to the starting area and hang out with them until they head to the Corrals. Once they leave you can take the monorail to the Magic Kingdom and see them there (you'll likely have a 1-2 hour wait depending on their pace). No ticket required.

You can then take the monorail back to Epcot and either catch them right before they enter the park, in the park near Spaceship Earth (required a park ticket) or just walk back to the finish area. :)

So, if we didn't want to go with them to the starting area, will there be transport from BW around to front of Epcot/monorail that would get us to MK in time to see them but without a 1-2 hour wait? (I'll find out from DD what their expected pace is, so we can guess when they'll be there.)

So, if we didn't want to go with them to the starting area, will there be transport from BW around to front of Epcot/monorail that would get us to MK in time to see them but without a 1-2 hour wait? (I'll find out from DD what their expected pace is, so we can guess when they'll be there.)
Race transportation is suspended from 5-7...I guess you could drive or take a cab, but there are road closures for when the race is happening. The other thing to consider is that if you don't get to the Magic Kingdom early, you could end up with a bunch of people standing in front of you.

Here's the 2016 Event Guide...the spectator portion is on pages 64/65:
http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/rundisney/disneyworld-marathon/2016-WDW-Program.pdf

I know I saw quite aways back that someone was renting out boats for the Illuminations cruise. I was wondering if there were any spots left? My girlfriend is going to be running the Goofy Challenge during Marathon Weekend and this would be a great treat for her!
That would be an amazing treat! My husband and I surpised our wedding guests with this back in 2006 and it is done directly with Disney. At that time you could book starting 90 days in advance and if you weren't on the phone and dialing like it was a radio contest when reservations opened, you weren't going to get it. I don't know if it is quite so crazy now. We booked the pontoon boat for the 10 of us. However, a few years ago we were in Disney with my parents, aunt and uncle. We were taking my aunt and uncle to see where we got married at the Yacht Club Gazebo when a boat captain approached us. He said that his boat was paid and booked for the night, but the couple hadn't shown up. So he took the 6 of us out for free on this amazing wooden panel speed boat. We all tipped him, so I'm sure he made out better than if they had shown up! But if that boat is available, it would be a good option for the 2 of you.

10 weeks, runDisney all-stars! 70 days! Race weekend will be here before we know it.

This week's Sundays are for Disney question:

Why do you run and why are you running this race?

After being fairly active in high school, I stopped exercising in college. I started running again in my mid-20s because I had gained some weight and wanted to shed some pounds. Plus, I never wanted to be too out of shape to play with my kids. After a few stops and starts, I got into a regular routine and did a few 5Ks. Last year, I ran my first 7-mile race. Since that went well, I decided to see if I could do a half, which I did that October. The half gave me the confidence to try do something I never would have imagined: run a marathon. Since I figured it might be my only marathon, I decided to go all out and sign up for the 2017 Disney World Marathon.

I like distance running because it gives me time to clear my head and is a good outlet for my competitive drive, even if I'm just competing against myself or the weather.

Have a good week and happy Halloween!

I run as an excuse to go to Disney. I don't know if I would have gone to Disney the last two years if I hadn't run. These last two years running have been some of the best. I started small with just the 10K, the moved to the 5K and half this year. Now Dopey in 2017. I haven't done many races outside of Disney but after getting into running I might. Before rundisney I hated running and never thought about doing such a thing.

10 weeks, runDisney all-stars! 70 days! Race weekend will be here before we know it.

This week's Sundays are for Disney question:

I run because it makes me feel strong and healthy, and helps me control my weight.

Why this race...because it combines 2 of my favorite things. Also, after a freak injury at the beginning of the year that I'm still feeling the effects of, I feel like finishing Dopey will prove to myself that I'm really recovered and that I'm back to "myself" after a really trying year, running-wise.

I have run off and on since I played track and cross county in high school. I mostly ran to stay in at least somewhat decent shape to ref soccer.

I am running Dopey in 2017, because after my brother ran the inaugural back in 2014 I opened my big mouth and said I could beat all of his times, despite never racing more than a 5K before. I decided on 2017 because I didn't want to get to much older before trying to beat his times, and my son, who will be 7 months when we go can partake in the diaper dash. My brother has also decided to run 2017 and not only will I be racing his 2014 times, but will be racing him as well.

I run for fitness since I've had to give up dance (hip problems) and to clear my head before or after work. I am running the marathon because my husband and I were looking for something to inspire us to keep fit through the winter. We are avid runners and the half was sold out, so we figured "go big or go home". It's our first race!

Last edited:

I started running (May 2015) after seeing the Castaway Cay 5k. When I booked our next cruise I told DH I wanted to run it. Then I found out about runDisney and wanted to run through the parks. I keep running because I love the way I feel afterwards and that it gives me "me" time.

I am doing marathon weekend because I wanted to keep challenging myself after completing a half marathon and figured the Disney marathon was probably the best way to do that. I chose to do Goofy because my dad told me it wasn't possible for me to run a marathon so I decided I would show him not only could I run a marathon but I could do it as part of a challenge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter