Marathon Weekend 2016

Has anyone taken advantage of the Runners World Challenge? Is it worth the extra money? I am planning on running the Dopey and have heard that the race retreat can be worthwhile as well. Between the two, already at $780.
I am very interested as well.

Are there any benefits or discounts to booking through a TA? I am eligible to stay at the military shades of green, just not the military priced park tickets. So trying to weigh out if there is a better deal with TA.

Has anyone taken advantage of the Runners World Challenge? Is it worth the extra money? I am planning on running the Dopey and have heard that the race retreat can be worthwhile as well. Between the two, already at $780.

Where did you get that price for the runnersworld entry? When I checked via the link on their page for registration is works out at $1,189.08

Where did you get that price for the runnersworld entry? When I checked via the link on their page for registration is works out at $1,189.08

The $780 was for just the Dopey and the Race retreat if you just register through Disney. My question was is it work paying the 1,100+ for the Runners World Challenge. They do offer additional benefits but is it worth paying about $300 extra for them?

I'm trying to just confirm I have someone to travel with for the marathon. How fast does this usually fill up? Looking to do it as my first marathon.

The $780 was for just the Dopey and the Race retreat if you just register through Disney. My question was is it work paying the 1,100+ for the Runners World Challenge. They do offer additional benefits but is it worth paying about $300 extra for them?

Oh right ok now I'm with you! :D

I presonally wouldn't pay the additional $300 for the services offered, I guess a big appeal will the be the Dopey spot when it inevitably sells out...

I'm trying to just confirm I have someone to travel with for the marathon. How fast does this usually fill up? Looking to do it as my first marathon.
The marathon will sell out last - you have months to work that out. It is the shorter races and the challenges that sell out quickly.

allright hotel question....we are definetly staying at Art of Animation in a suite our group will include Myself, DW, and our 4yr old, My Mom, and for sure Mom in law and potentially Father in law....The in laws are worried that the suite will be to close quarters for all of us and have discussed getting a separate room...can anyone who has stayed there give me some real world details on how big the suite's actually are?
We have stayed at AOA for the past two years for marathon weekend with 5 adults: me, DH, 2 sons and DIL. It is tight and privacy is only for the bedroom. Others are on the "table bed" and sofa bed out in the open. The best thing is two bathrooms, which is great since 4/5 of us run and need showers.

The Full marathon filled up sometime early May, many keep saying it was much later, but that is only because they split up Goofy spots in like the Fall to sell as individual races. I registered right after Everest Challenge, so like May 5 and it was like 92% full, then that next week it was Sold out. I know because I kept watching it since one of my brothers was on the fence about it. But who knows this year.

Last edited:
The marathon will sell out last - you have months to work that out. It is the shorter races and the challenges that sell out quickly.

So, by your experience, would you say that I should probably register in this order: 5k, 10k and Half?

The Full marathon filled up sometime early May, many keep saying it was much later, but that is only because they split up Goofy spots in like the Fall to sell as individual races. I registered right after Everest Challenge, so like May 5 and it was like 92% full, then that next week it was Sold out. I know because I kept watching it since one of my brothers was on the fence about it. But who knows this year.
I never actually realized it was sold out in early May. I guess since my alternative to Dopey would have been the Goofy that I didn't really pay that close attention. I'm probably part of the group who have implied that it was much later but my, and I'm guessing most others, intent was to indicate that you probably didn't need to be waiting to sign up exactly at noon on the 28th in the same way that the 5K, 10K, Dopey and possibly the Half may require. With the way things are going it looks like there may not be a lot of room to be on the fence for any of these races anymore.

Last edited:
You're right cavepig,it sold out May 13th and they then opened up registration again on Sept 16th for the Goofy Giveback,basically limited Goofy ,Half and Full registrations.It was to stay open for 39 days or until those registrations sold out,it didn't last the 39 days.I think many people are still remembering previous years that the full would last well into fall.I think even only going back to like 2010-2011 it lasted until November or December,they just go faster and faster every year.

Last edited:
You're right cavepig,it sold out May 13th and they then opened up registration again on Sept 16th for the Goofy Giveback,basically limited Goofy ,Half and Full registrations.It was to stay open for 39 days or until those registrations sold out,it didn't last the 39 days.I think many people are still remembering previous years that the full would last well into Spring.I think even only going back to like 2010-2011 it lasted until November or December,they just go faster and faster every year.

It's amazing to me how fast they sell out now!

When I did the 2010 full I signed up for it in October and everyone was in shock that the half was sold out at that point. In 2011 there were still spaces almost as long too. Amazing what a difference 5 years makes!

You're right cavepig,it sold out May 13th and they then opened up registration again on Sept 16th for the Goofy Giveback,basically limited Goofy ,Half and Full registrations.It was to stay open for 39 days or until those registrations sold out,it didn't last the 39 days.I think many people are still remembering previous years that the full would last well into fall.I think even only going back to like 2010-2011 it lasted until November or December,they just go faster and faster every year.
Actually, according to runDisney, they did not sell out in 39 days - the marathon spots that they re-opened did not all sell out. The window for the re-opened registration just ran out. I have two seperate emails from them about the matter because I inquired, having just missed the window. The Marathon was only listed at 91% full on the day that it ended. The next day was listed as "Full", but only because it went back to the "Full" status indicated before the spots were re-opened.

Hopefully Disney learned something from this. They had many unused Marathon spots last year because of the way that they handled a challenge that wasn't as popular once the Dopey became available.

I'm wishing and praying for the FD open for international public in May 1st!

I was talking to my TA about hotel options and she mentioned Hilton's Bonnet Creek for the marathon weekend.
It seems that they have great runner's packages. Any thoughts?

I have stayed at Bonnet Creek twice, but not for Marathon Weekend. It is a really nice resort, lots of pools, two or three lazy rivers, events every evening, the rooms range from standard hotel rooms to 3 bedroom condos. There is lots of space, it was great for the family. There was a shuttle system than ran to the parks but it was not as frequent as the Disney Buses. Can't speak to the runDisney packages, it was a very nice stay both times but it does lack a disney feel.

i am going to stick with the disney resorts this time, given that I get a spot on Tuesday of course. Just want more of a Dinsey feel.

I apologize if this has been asked but I couldn't find the answer. It states that parents can run the Mickey Mile with their kids. Does that mean that I need to register for it, too? Or do I just register DS and on the day of the race I can run along side him?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter