Marathon Weekend 2016

I'm a newbie runner and this was exactly my story last month (plateaus are SO frustrating). I took a two+ (almost three) week break from running, and focused on cross-training (weights & swimming) instead. My runs are slowly improving again. Also, I bet that the excitement from registration next Tuesday will give you an extra spring in your step (if you haven't already registered)! ::yes::

I'm hoping that once I'm actually registered for the races, it'll get a little easier. I feel kinda aimless when I go out now.
I took a running break a few weeks ago ... I'm not ready for another one yet!

I'm so excited. My husband is going to do the 10K ... and my mom ... my MOM is going to do the 5k with me!!

My Mom (bless her heart!) has never run before. She wanted to "put her sneakers on and go run" with me when we were in NYC for Christmas this year, and I went without her. This will be her first race ever! I'm so excited, on so many levels.

That is so cool! What a great experience. You have motivated your mom to run!

Where is everyone staying?

Have to do this trip on the cheap becasue family is coming back four months later for my daughters dance competition so it is going to be Pop Century or AOA for me this year. For a value resort I have hear good things about both.

Have to do this trip on the cheap becasue family is coming back four months later for my daughters dance competition so it is going to be Pop Century or AOA for me this year. For a value resort I have hear good things about both.

POP is a nice resort. Of the values that is my choice. I am there for the Wine and Dine half. Marathon weekend i have not decided yet. POP and AoA are just separated by a bridge. AoA has better exterior theming. For me I just need a place to sleep. I usually spend very little time at a resort.

That is so cool! What a great experience. You have motivated your mom to run!

She's so cute. My dad is taking her to get fitted for shoes tomorrow and she's super excited! She has teeny little ballerina feet (size 5s, high arches) - so I have no doubt that getting some great shoes will help her in the long run, even if it's just walking the dog around the neighborhood.

She has pretty much every pair of Keens they make in her size, so I know she'll appreciate good running shoes.

So finished up my C25K training today, dropped my pace time from 13:00 2 months ago to 11:21 today (holy smokes!). Did a long run of 10 miles (although I walked the last 3 of it hobbled with a knee injury, remember to fuel up kiddies to prevent injuries!) this past Saturday in preparation for my Half Marathon this Sunday, which kicks off my Summer Half Marathon training next week.

I'm hoping for a good pace time (hopefully under 14:00) on Sunday, it will really help me believe I can pull off the Dopey if I can get signed up for it Tuesday!

When do they release pictures of the 2016 medals? Is it well past when registration begins?

Not until a couple months before the race usually. For Princess Half this year, photos of the medals were released in late November. For Star Wars Half, early November, but Star Wars was inaugural this year.

Hi everyone! I am hoping to sign myself and my husband up for our first Disney races on Tuesday. I will be signing up for the 10K (my first!) and he will be signing up for the 1/2 (assuming we get in...). We are travelling with our family and I am trying to estimate what time we will be back to our resort following the races. Assuming I'm in the last 10K corral and it takes me an hour and a half to actually run the race, what time should we be back at POR? We will be taking the bus. I will probably want to rest for a minute and eat a snack and maybe take a few photos, but I don't intend to hang around a long while after the race. I only need to meet my husband. Thanks for the help.

Hi everyone! I am hoping to sign myself and my husband up for our first Disney races on Tuesday. I will be signing up for the 10K (my first!) and he will be signing up for the 1/2 (assuming we get in...). We are travelling with our family and I am trying to estimate what time we will be back to our resort following the races. Assuming I'm in the last 10K corral and it takes me an hour and a half to actually run the race, what time should we be back at POR? We will be taking the bus. I will probably want to rest for a minute and eat a snack and maybe take a few photos, but I don't intend to hang around a long while after the race. I only need to meet my husband. Thanks for the help.
For the 10k last year I was in the second to last corral and finished at around 7:30am. I got back to POR fairly quickly and was in Epcot by 9:40. I waited in line for photos after the race with daisy since the Minnie line was insane.

Oh thank you rteetz! If you don't mind me asking, what was your time to get into that corral?(if you do mind just ignore my post) I don't even know how many there are or how long between releases. These boards are invaluable!

Oh thank you rteetz! If you don't mind me asking, what was your time to get into that corral?(if you do mind just ignore my post) I don't even know how many there are or how long between releases. These boards are invaluable!
That was my first race ever. When I signed up I put my estimated time I think between 11-13 minutes a mile. I actually ran that anyways 11:52 average mile. I only stopped for one character during the run but did take many pictures of other things. I also had one bathroom stop. From the start of the race to when my corral started was around a 30 minute difference.

Wow! That's great for your first race! You must have been so proud. It sounds like if I tell my family I should be back around 9, that should be good. We're going to AK that day and I'm hoping to have a 10:30 breakfast ADR at Tuskerhouse. I'm sure I'll be plenty hungry!

@Alicatt there were 6 corrals for the 10K this year and they started 8-10 minutes apart, in case that helps you estimate your timing. :) I was in corral B this year and can't remember exactly when I finished (around 7AM maybe?), but it was just before sunrise. I stopped for a couple of characters and various other pictures so my time was about 1:26ish.

So finished up my C25K training today, dropped my pace time from 13:00 2 months ago to 11:21 today (holy smokes!). Did a long run of 10 miles (although I walked the last 3 of it hobbled with a knee injury, remember to fuel up kiddies to prevent injuries!) this past Saturday in preparation for my Half Marathon this Sunday, which kicks off my Summer Half Marathon training next week.

I'm hoping for a good pace time (hopefully under 14:00) on Sunday, it will really help me believe I can pull off the Dopey if I can get signed up for it Tuesday!

Good job with your training and getting your pace time improved! Good luck getting in with Dopey!

Another newbie question: are the castle lights and Osbourne lights still up for the marathon weekend? It looked like the castle lights were in the marathon recap blogs I read but wasn't sure about the DHS ones.

Castle lights were still up this year Osborne lights were not. All the parks trees were still up as well.

That's interesting about the Osborne lights. Several years ago, when the F&W half marathon was held at the beginning of October, Disney had been nice enough to have the Osborne Lights up and as the runners ran through DHS, they were surprised with the lights all lit up. However, the lights were then turned off to the public until whenever the opening was scheduled, in mid-November. You'd think that maybe for the sake of a few days, they could have them up again (or does no race go through DHS for this?).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter